Wilcox Announces Staff Restructure

26,449 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rkt88edmo
packawana
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

Yogi Bear said:

packawana said:

What this looks like is that Wilcox feels that talent development for both the WRs and the QBs should have been better and with better coaching would have provided wins with the given playcalling. There's a fair argument for that -- if the QBs could make better reads and emphasized ball security, we're probably a 9 win team.
So why do the RB's get short shrift with an under-performing coach? Isn't their performance important too?

I don't see why I should trust the guy who put McIlwain on the field and then told him to pass a bunch of times to be better at QB development.

Exactly. Plus it is not like Baldwin as OC did not have access to the QBs to coach them as much as he wanted. Tedford was the HC when he worked with Boller and Rodgers. This will just take time away from Baldwin's other responsibilities as OC as he is now fully responsible for running the QBs through drills and workouts.
What? How do we know that's actually how the staff did things? And why would any QB coach worth their salt be okay with letting the OC coach their position group and potentially upending things what you're coaching them?
Blueblood

"Well, I'll be a new delphi or is it deli? Anyway, I
see some Cal football assistant coaches moving on
...and...and very, very soon, too, while the gettin'
is good!"
calumnus
packawana said:

calumnus said:

Yogi Bear said:

packawana said:

What this looks like is that Wilcox feels that talent development for both the WRs and the QBs should have been better and with better coaching would have provided wins with the given playcalling. There's a fair argument for that -- if the QBs could make better reads and emphasized ball security, we're probably a 9 win team.
So why do the RB's get short shrift with an under-performing coach? Isn't their performance important too?

I don't see why I should trust the guy who put McIlwain on the field and then told him to pass a bunch of times to be better at QB development.

Exactly. Plus it is not like Baldwin as OC did not have access to the QBs to coach them as much as he wanted. Tedford was the HC when he worked with Boller and Rodgers. This will just take time away from Baldwin's other responsibilities as OC as he is now fully responsible for running the QBs through drills and workouts.
What? How do we know that's actually how the staff did things? And why would any QB coach worth their salt be okay with letting the OC coach their position group and potentially upending things what you're coaching them?

Since when can a position coach dictate to the "Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach" that they cannot coach the QBs whenever they want to?

Listen to Baldwin's interviews, he was constantly talking about the QBs, their attitudes, things he told them. Most of the last two seasons Baldwin was not in the booth, but on the sideline, coaching his QB (of the moment).

Not saying he might not have had disagreements with Tui, which this eliminates, but to say the OC was NOT able to coach the QBs at all?

71Bear
Blueblood said:

"Well, I'll be a new delphi or is it deli? Anyway, I
see some Cal football assistant coaches moving on
...and...and very, very soon, too, while the gettin'
is good!"
Hey Blue...

The Oracle of Delphi was in ancient Greece. The photo you included in your post depicts a group of Hindu's. Generally, you are on the mark with your pictures. What's up? Are you slipping?
southseasbear
Yogi Bear said:

southseasbear said:

I suspect some of these moves are interim measures and that some of the coaches who were moved will leave before the season begins. Instead of firing one or two of them, they are being temporarily reassigned pending their finding other work.
If that's the case, why reassign anyone at all?

Plus if you're waiting to replace them, a lot of good candidates will be gone.
Wilcox may have moved Edwards to RB but that doesn't stop him from shopping around for another RB coach while Edwards looks for another job. I could be wrong but I think we are going to hear another announcement soon about one or two of our coaches moving on.
StillNoStanfurdium
calumnus said:

packawana said:

calumnus said:

Yogi Bear said:

packawana said:

Since when can a position coach dictate to the "Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach" that they cannot coach the QBs whenever they want to?

Listen to Baldwin's interviews, he was constantly talking about the QBs, their attitudes, things he told them. Most of the last two seasons Baldwin was not in the booth, but on the sideline, coaching his QB (of the moment).

Not saying he might not have had disagreements with Tui, which this eliminates, but to say the OC was NOT able to coach the QBs at all?

No one's saying the OC can't coach the QBs, but if you're a good manager (which in some ways the OC is to his offensive coaches) then you're going to let the QB coach mainly coach the QBs. If you're basically overruling your QB coach or perceived as pulling his strings it's not going to be an environment that the QB coach will be able to succeed in.

That's just basic management skills.
GivemTheAxe
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

So Baldwin is now QB coach. Is that an improvement?

IMO---- YESSSSS!!!!

Tui didn't seem to have improved the QBs.
The big question is will the receivers improve.
GivemTheAxe
calumnus said:

Big C said:

And the tea leaves say:

Tui and Edwards are diplomatically fired: They will be circulating their resumes.

Baldwin:

1. Wilcox sincerely believes BB can do better, with better personnel. Or...
2. Wilcox doesn't have the $$$ to buy him out. And / Or...
2a. Wilcox believes in "loyalty" too much to let him go (euphemistically stated)

Yeah, one or some combo of the three.

Alternative 2a is insulting. Maybe it might be a factor if someone were coaching pee-wee league baseball.
But this is Div.1 CFB where winning matters and brings really BIG Bucks and major opportunities.
Imagine you just got hired to take over a company having trouble. You get a big salary and the possibility of an even bigger bonus if you hit certain performance targets.
Would anyone with a modicum of self pride and and an ounce of character risk losing it all to avoid hurting the feelings of a friend (not his spouse).
If you say yes, I would take it as evidence you have never been in business.
GivemTheAxe
bearsandgiants said:

The chance of a good record next year is almost nil anyway. At least this gives us either an out or a pleasant surprise.

Cal was 7-5 with a strong defense and virtually no offense and QBs who had a terrible habit of throwing INTs.
Next year with an even stronger defense and an untested offense. I would expect a 6-6 or 7-5 year again. .
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

And the tea leaves say:

Tui and Edwards are diplomatically fired: They will be circulating their resumes.

Baldwin:

2a. Wilcox believes in "loyalty" too much to let him go (euphemistically stated)

Alternative 2a is insulting. Maybe it might be a factor if someone were coaching pee-wee league baseball.
But this is Div.1 CFB where winning matters and brings really BIG Bucks and major opportunities.
Imagine you just got hired to take over a company having trouble. You get a big salary and the possibility of an even bigger bonus if you hit certain performance targets.
Would anyone with a modicum of self pride and and an ounce of character risk losing it all to avoid hurting the feelings of a friend (not his spouse).

I think the issue with 2a is that if you think Baldwin needs to be replaced, delaying that by one year is penny wise and pound foolish as the hole you will have dug for the next OC will be even deeper. It will delay our return to good offense by two years and that will have great cost. It could jeapordize Wilcox's gains on the defensive side.

We just have to hope for the best. That Inserting Modster into the offense makes a huge difference.
GivemTheAxe
oski003 said:

CALiforniALUM said:

This pundit projects that TUI is gone. Edwards is a courtesy hold between Baldwin and Wilcox. Wilcox asked Baldwin if multiple equals TE and he said no. The TE position coach spot is our relief valve. Edwards will move yet again after TUI is gone to TE, which better aligns with his skill set. Our new RB coach will be ???????

Marshawn Lynch.

The best player at a certain position is not always the best coach for that position. Especially the skill positions.

Sometimes the best player does things based upon instead skills and not because he understand every aspect of what he is doing. Often it is the journeyman player who has had to struggle to be successful to better not nderstand the requirements of that position.

IMO Laird will some day be a GREAT RB coach.
rkt88edmo
oskirules said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Please bring this woman to CMS.

Kondo: Does the offense bring you joy?
Wilcox: Um, no.
Kondo: Then throw it out.
Wilcox: And replace it with what?
Kondo: That ain't my problem, bruh!

You forgot to thank it for allowing you to experience an offense that no one wants. It has served it's purpose.
calumnus
StillNoStanfurdium said:

calumnus said:

packawana said:

calumnus said:

Yogi Bear said:

packawana said:

No one's saying the OC can't coach the QBs, but if you're a good manager (which in some ways the OC is to his offensive coaches) then you're going to let the QB coach mainly coach the QBs. If you're basically overruling your QB coach or perceived as pulling his strings it's not going to be an environment that the QB coach will be able to succeed in.

That's just basic management skills.

No, good management is working with your direct reports so you are on the same page, then letting them do their job, with you stepping in as needed. Letting your subordinate take the fall for your organization's failures? Not good management IMO.
Cal Strong!
GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

The chance of a good record next year is almost nil anyway. At least this gives us either an out or a pleasant surprise.

Cal was 7-5 with a strong defense and virtually no offense and QBs who had a terrible habit of throwing INTs.
Next year with an even stronger defense and an untested offense. I would expect a 6-6 or 7-5 year again. .

Dykes WEAK! But Dykes went 8-5 in third year. If Wilcox goes 6-6 or 7-5, he WEAKER than Dykes.
Fyght4Cal
GivemTheAxe said:

oski003 said:

CALiforniALUM said:

This pundit projects that TUI is gone. Edwards is a courtesy hold between Baldwin and Wilcox. Wilcox asked Baldwin if multiple equals TE and he said no. The TE position coach spot is our relief valve. Edwards will move yet again after TUI is gone to TE, which better aligns with his skill set. Our new RB coach will be ???????

Marshawn Lynch.

The best player at a certain position is not always the best coach for that position. Especially the skill positions.

Sometimes the best player does things based upon instead skills and not because he understand every aspect of what he is doing. Often it is the journeyman player who has had to struggle to be successful to better not nderstand the requirements of that position.

Flights of fancy unsupported by facts.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

oski003 said:

CALiforniALUM said:

Marshawn Lynch.

Maybe, or Justin Forsett. However a big need at that position is a recruiter, and I bet Marshawn would be a great recruiter.
bear2034
Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

Dykes WEAK! But Dykes went 8-5 in third year. If Wilcox goes 6-6 or 7-5, he WEAKER than Dykes.

Maybe, but Dykes had Superbowl QB Jared Goff behind center.
01Bear
calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

oski003 said:

CALiforniALUM said:

Marshawn Lynch.

Maybe, or Justin Forsett. However a big need at that position is a recruiter, and I bet Marshawn would be a great recruiter.

No doubt Marshawn would be fantastic in living rooms and at connecting with kids. But I doubt Justin Forsett would do poorly there. The dude made it to the NFL and stayed there for eight years, and even made a Pro Bowl. He may not have had as impressive a career as Marshawn, but neither is he chopped liver.
calumnus
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

oski003 said:

CALiforniALUM said:

Marshawn Lynch.

No doubt Marshawn would be fantastic in living rooms and at connecting with kids. But I doubt Justin Forsett would do poorly there. The dude made it to the NFL and stayed there for eight years, and even made a Pro Bowl. He may not have had as impressive a career as Marshawn, but neither is he chopped liver.

I bought up Forsett for that very reason.
Cal Strong!
oskirules said:

Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

By year 3, Wilcox should have STRONG QB behind center. By year 3, you mostly have who you recruited.
01Bear
Cal Strong! said:

oskirules said:

Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

By year 3, Wilcox should have STRONG QB behind center. By year 3, you mostly have who you recruited.

By the end of Year 3 (if not before then), Baldwin will have ruined a fourth Cal QB.
calumnus
01Bear said:

Cal Strong! said:

oskirules said:

Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

By the end of Year 3 (if not before then), Baldwin will have ruined a fourth Cal QB.

He's already gone through 4.
Golden One
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

oski003 said:

CALiforniALUM said:

Marshawn Lynch.

I think Forsett would be a good recruiter; so would Jahvid Best.
wifeisafurd
Look if the infusion of talent really is the answer, it still likely will take some time. We are talking about essentially changing the WR and RB corp and a change in the QB, behind a relatively inexperienced line. All with the same coaching staff that got Cal into this mess. And in a year in which the schedule is tougher.
01Bear
calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Cal Strong! said:

oskirules said:

Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

I'm not sure he ruined Chase Forrest, though. Whether he played him sufficiently or coached him ip enough is another question. But he ruined Ross Bowers, Chase Garber, and Brandon McIlwain. He ruined the first by pulling the starting QB position from him after half a game this year. His musical chairs approach to QBs after that ruined the confidence of the other two.

That said, if you want to say that Baldwin also ruined Forrest, I wouldn't necessarily disagree.
Cal_79
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Cal Strong! said:

oskirules said:

Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

I'm not sure he ruined Chase Forrest, though. Whether he played him sufficiently or coached him ip enough is another question. But he ruined Ross Bowers, Chase Garber, and Brandon McIlwain. He ruined the first by pulling the starting QB position from him after half a game this year. His musical chairs approach to QBs after that ruined the confidence of the other two.

That said, if you want to say that Baldwin also ruined Forrest, I wouldn't necessarily disagree.

You make it sound like the broken thumb on his throwing hand wasn't a factor in Ross not finishing the game...
71Bear
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Cal Strong! said:

oskirules said:

Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

He did not "ruin" Bowers. Bowers just didn't have enough natural talent to be a P5 QB. He didn't "ruin" Garbers because CG still has three years left. Who knows how good he will be in the future. And lastly, he did not "ruin" McIlwain. BMcI simply lacks the ability to effectively play QB.

One can certainly criticize Baldwin for several of his decisions. However, this over the top crap is ridiculous.
OdontoBear66
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Cal Strong! said:

oskirules said:

Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

Overboard comments. He ruined little here. We have been thin here for some time. He may not have developed as well as all of us would like, but "ruined"....Nah.
Fyght4Cal
Cal_79 said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Cal Strong! said:

oskirules said:

Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

You make it sound like the broken thumb on his throwing hand wasn't a factor in Ross not finishing the game...
The narrative that Ross was fine in 2018 and should have been kept his starting job is just bizarre. My man was seriously injured and couldn't throw.
heartofthebear
Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

Sometimes logic like this is weak.
calumnus
Fyght4Cal said:

Cal_79 said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Cal Strong! said:

oskirules said:

Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

The narrative that Ross was fine in 2018 and should have been kept his starting job is just bizarre. My man was seriously injured and couldn't throw.

We didn't know that until several games later and to my knowledge there was never an official announcement(?), so another narrative developed that has had a life of its own.
Fyght4Cal
calumnus said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Cal_79 said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Cal Strong! said:

oskirules said:

Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

We didn't know that until several games later and to my knowledge there was never an official announcement(?), so another narrative developed that has had a life of its own.
That's understandable. However, posting that BB ruined Bowers, on Jan. 27, 2019, is bizarre. Today, we all know better.
KoreAmBear
Fyght4Cal said:

calumnus said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Cal_79 said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Cal Strong! said:

oskirules said:

Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

That's understandable. However, posting that BB ruined Bowers, on Jan. 27, 2019, is bizarre. Today, we all know better.

Not sure we'll know the full story of when Ross was injured, and when he told the coaching staff. He got pulled from the UNC game but my understanding is that the staff may not have known at the time that the injury was that bad. So it begs the question why did he never play again?

I wouldn't say BB ruined him but it was a bizarre story no one seems to really know the full details.

I wouldn't say BB ruined Garbers or McIlwain but I will go as far as to say they were both shellshocked by the end of the bowl game. I place his mismanagement of them and his playcalling as the direct cause for where they're at now. They started off super confident and making plays. See the BYU game. BB ran BM into the ground playing him 100% and letting him get pummeled and the Garbers putting everything on him when BM couldn't do it. The dual QB thing had been working just fine.
Goobear
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Cal Strong! said:

oskirules said:

Cal Strong! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

He ruined no one. It was Bowers' to lose. He lost it late into fall camp. Garbers was young with not a lot of reps. I think the development in fall camp was less than ideal. If there was one mistake it probably was the QB's other than Bowers not getting enough reps early on and perhaps the remaining reps shared by too many QB's other than Bowers. McIlwain was allowed to come in and play. It did not work. Forrest lost to Bowers the year before and was too old. It is clear that the QB stable when Wilcox came was not full. When Dykes left, Martinez decommitted because Spav left. Spav recruited Garbers and Baldwin was able to hold on. In effect, Brasch is the first scholarship QB recruited and closed by this staff. I think the QB position is an important position that requires a lot of dedication a la Goff and Webb. Forrest learned that from these guys and was there to set the tone in terms of studying in the film room. Now it is up to the QB's to embrace that and invest even more. Most young kids coming from HS have to get used to how much time it requires. Both Modster and Garbers should know that and put in the time. The staff knows there are no excuses.
Calcoholic
GivemTheAxe said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

And the tea leaves say:

Baldwin:

The sheer naivete displayed in this comment is amusing.

"Hold my beer..." -Mark Dantonio, probably

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.