LOI day

12,234 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheSouseFamily
Rushinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calbear80 said:

Today is the second Wednesday of February. Is there any news at all about the LOIs? Did we sign anyone in addition to the December signees? There is nothing on the Cal Athletics website or here.

Go Bears!
Did we sign anyone today? We won't be able to give a categorical NO until tomorrow, but...

Now, several of our Dec recruits are really good and the percentages say a couple will blossom, but...

The pattern took only 1 year to form - the top kids wait until they see who's going where in Dec and which schools offer the most in Feb. They know their top choices will take them no matter who else has signed in Dec. So, equating exposure with winning, less-demanding programs, they're more likely than ever to go elsewhere.

I expected BB and his crew to have recruited better. The D looks pretty good.
Bear8
BearSD said:

TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

golden sloth said:

I know we aren't due for any big and pleasant surprises, but is there any chance at one or two more recruits signing today to fill out the roster?
You have to wonder why Cal is not closing on any of the local defensive recruits. That side of the ball has proven P5 coaching and players.

In fairness, Wife, it's not just us. Of the top 20 HS recruits from CA, all but 4 of them left the state. The SEC schools got more CA recruits than the CA schools got.
Washington got 9 of the top 50 California HS players, according to this:

Something is very, very wrong. It has afflicted us, the Trojans, Bruins and even the Furd. Are the Ducks engaging in illegal acts to get players? Are the Huskies ignoring academics in order to beef up their team? What has happened to the elite academic institutions of California and their involvement in big time football?
packawana
TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

golden sloth said:

I know we aren't due for any big and pleasant surprises, but is there any chance at one or two more recruits signing today to fill out the roster?
You have to wonder why Cal is not closing on any of the local defensive recruits. That side of the ball has proven P5 coaching and players.

In fairness, Wife, it's not just us. Of the top 20 HS recruits from CA, all but 4 of them left the state. The SEC schools got more CA recruits than the CA schools got.
It's because none of the California schools are seen as serious contenders for a national title. Even SC isn't given how disastrous their year was.

There's a growing part of me that thinks eventually we're eventually going to get a legitimized separation where the same 20 or so teams are going to be the ones competing for a national title and the rest of us will be relegated to some B-league.
SmellinRoses
That tall LB we signed went to Last Chance U...?! Deng!
85Bear
packawana said:

So I'm guessing we're not getting anyone today?
The official Cal Football twitter account tweeted this video today listing all the recruits that had already signed so I'm guessing no one will be signed today.

Blueblood
"B" league = MWC = football California champions!

No wonder no LOI's have been coming in.....

Big C
A good way for folks to avoid getting their jock straps in a bunch today is to think of that day in December as LOI day, not a day in February anymore.

And for everybody bummed out about where the local kids are going, there's this: Husky fans hate the fact that we got Evan Weaver. We'll get more and more NorCal recruits if we keep winning.
Blueblood
Big C said:

A good way for folks to avoid getting their jock straps in a bunch today is to think of that day in December as LOI day, not a day in February anymore.
So you're a'sayin' that the staff restructuring isn't working?
Big C
Blueblood said:

Big C said:

No, I'm not saying that. I'll have an opinion on that in about nine months.
Blueblood
Big C said:

Blueblood said:

Big C said:

No, I'm not saying that. I'll have an opinion on that in about nine months.
OMG! You need another 9 months to figure that one out? Well, I guess no one can say you don't like suspense.
wifeisafurd
TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

golden sloth said:

If it was just the SEC I might feel somewhat better. But it is teams Cal is playing every season like Udub and Oregon.
TheSouseFamily
Why are folks surprised we didn't sign anyone today? The staff here made that clear a while ago. I don't have all the numbers, but we signed one of the largest classes in the conference in the early period and didn't have many remaining rides to begin with. Sounds like the staff wanted (and has wanted all along) to use the remaining slots for some of the deserving walk-ons as well as transfers (and that market is still wide open). This seems like a far better strategy for the remaining spots than taking guys who are reaches. So cheer up and go get a burrito. Today's lack of news means nothing.
TheSouseFamily
wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

golden sloth said:

If it was just the SEC I might feel somewhat better. But it is teams Cal is playing every season like Udub and Oregon.

I'm with you. Oregon and UW are big problems. But at least we don't have to deal with those guys cleaning up AND the LA schools having strong years too.
okaydo
Really lovely background. I forgot the Bay was so picturesque.

CaliforniaEternal
TheSouseFamily said:

Why are folks surprised we didn't sign anyone today? The staff here made that clear a while ago. I don't have all the numbers, but we signed one of the largest classes in the conference in the early period and didn't have many remaining rides to begin with. Sounds like the staff wanted (and has wanted all along) to use the remaining slots for some of the deserving walk-ons as well as transfers (and that market is still wide open). This seems like a far better strategy for the remaining spots than taking guys who are reaches. So cheer up and go get a burrito. Today's lack of news means nothing.
Actually, the better strategy is landing the top local recruits and not relying on walk-ons. This coaching staff is following the strategy of the previous one, which is treating Northern California like it's South Florida 3,000 miles away. But hey, those burritos at Sinaloa on Telegraph are pretty darn tasty.
going4roses
How the hell do you pull a Top 25 class despite a new OC and DC ?
golden sloth
TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

golden sloth said:

I'm with you. Oregon and UW are big problems. But at least we don't have to deal with those guys cleaning up AND the LA schools having strong years too.
Fortunately, I don't think Mario Cristobal is a plus coach, and I don't think he will get the most out of the players there. As for UW, that is a problem, but I think if Petersen doesn't get them into the playoff in the next few years, the locals may start getting restless and thinking they deserve better (don't get me wrong, I think that sentiment is delusional, but I also think they have it).
going4roses
Washington and Oregon have made bigger commitments to winning and that comes in many forms
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
packawana
golden sloth said:

TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

golden sloth said:

Fortunately, I don't think Mario Cristobal is a plus coach, and I don't think he will get the most out of the players there. As for UW, that is a problem, but I think if Petersen doesn't get them into the playoff in the next few years, the locals may start getting restless and thinking they deserve better (don't get me wrong, I think that sentiment is delusional, but I also think they have it).
Only way Petersen leaves UDub is if he retires himself or the Seahawks decide they want him. He's made Washington the most successful they've been since their last national title run.
Rushinbear
TheSouseFamily said:

It's not a matter of surprise. There were at least two local top guys who kept popping up in our possibles list as recently as a week or so ago. If we don't have a realistic chance for guys like that, then why not downplay them (not "so you're saying there's still a chance."). The Football Offers list further accentuates the disparity between likelihood and hope.
GivemTheAxe
OaktownBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

packawana said:

Did we just lose one of our WR commits? What's going on???

Very, very few want to play in this offense with these coaches. It's why so many of us were astonished by the rearrangement rather than a dismantling.
Apparently, the staff seems oblivious to this reality.

If we have a third straight bad year offensively, either the offensive braintrust goes or Wilcox is gonna have to go with it. And nobody wants that.
We've had one year of bad quarterbacking and one year of atrocious quarterbacking. It is plausible to argue that is the problem. Modster has been a competent QB. If he comes in and is bad or atrocious, making him the 4th bad or atrocious QB when he wasn't bad at UCLA, the argument is no longer plausible. If he is competent and the offense can't reach at least serviceable, the argument is no longer plausible.

If we weren't going to change offensive personnel, making Baldwin QB coach at least brings the issue to a head. You can't blame the offense on QB play if you are the QB coach.

I blame the QBs and the Oline.
The QBs primarily for the INTs
The Oline is the biggest problem.

We all just witnessed what a strong rush can do to shut down one of the best QBs in the NFL.
Or are we going to say that Goff is a bad QB.
GivemTheAxe
Will there be a Nor-Cal event to introduce the new recruits?
And I mean not just the one for the Big Donors. One for the Hoi Poloi.
TheSouseFamily
I hear ya, RB. I'm making a distinction between the overall attitudes about recruiting, especially withbresoect to local kids and separately, the expectations specifically for today. It's totally reasonable to have a discussion about the former snd how we can improve it. My point was just that today was what was expected in a more specific sense.
rothforever
So two 4 stars (LB and DL) in our own backyard that just won the state championship didn't even look at CAL?
Yogi58
Rushinbear said:

Not one of 'em has had a gun. In BB's O you need a good athlete WITH a gun. Garbers is closest. We'll see about Modster. He and Garbers will fight it out. Brasch may figure in in the second half of the season.
If your college offense requires a guy with NFL athleticism, your offense needs to be discarded. And so does its coordinator.
wifeisafurd
TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

golden sloth said:

UCLA did not have a good class. However, SC, despite all the tutmoiil, had the third best class, and almost beat Udub in ratings. Amazing. My dog could recruit for SC.
71Bear
calbear80 said:

Today is the second Wednesday of February. Is there any news at all about the LOIs? Did we sign anyone in addition to the December signees? There is nothing on the Cal Athletics website or here.

I remember the good old days (Tedford years) when the second Wednesday of February was one of the most exciting days of the year for Cal fans. I still clearly remember exactly where I was when I received the news of signing of DeSean Jackson (LB Poly HS) over USC (I was in South LA around 6 PM) and Chris Conte (out of Loyola HS) over UCLA (I was in Monterey around 8 AM) among many others. Hoping for some good news today.

Go Bears!
First Wednesday....

71Bear
rothforever said:

So two 4 stars (LB and DL) in our own backyard that just won the state championship didn't even look at CAL?
DLS did not win the state title in 2018.
71Bear
packawana said:

TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

golden sloth said:

It's because none of the California schools are seen as serious contenders for a national title. Even SC isn't given how disastrous their year was.

There's a growing part of me that thinks eventually we're eventually going to get a legitimized separation where the same 20 or so teams are going to be the ones competing for a national title and the rest of us will be relegated to some B-league.
Cal has already been relegated to a B league. It is called PAC-12.
72CalBear
Rushinbear said:

calumnus said:

OaktownBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

packawana said:

Did we just lose one of our WR commits? What's going on???

Very, very few want to play in this offense with these coaches. It's why so many of us were astonished by the rearrangement rather than a dismantling.
Apparently, the staff seems oblivious to this reality.

If we have a third straight bad year offensively, either the offensive braintrust goes or Wilcox is gonna have to go with it. And nobody wants that.
We've had one year of bad quarterbacking and one year of atrocious quarterbacking. It is plausible to argue that is the problem. Modster has been a competent QB. If he comes in and is bad or atrocious, making him the 4th bad or atrocious QB when he wasn't bad at UCLA, the argument is no longer plausible. If he is competent and the offense can't reach at least serviceable, the argument is no longer plausible.

If we weren't going to change offensive personnel, making Baldwin QB coach at least brings the issue to a head. You can't blame the offense on QB play if you are the QB coach.

Modster will be the 5th

Bowers
Garbers
McIlwain
Forrest
Not one of 'em has had a gun. In BB's O you need a good athlete WITH a gun. Garbers is closest. We'll see about Modster. He and Garbers will fight it out. Brasch may figure in in the second half of the season.
Yeah, whomever gets the job, it would be nice to have more than one running back to hand the ball off to, and no wide receivers or tight ends to catch passes.
Big C
TheSouseFamily said:

A lot of people are surprised, I think, because they are used to the February LOI day and it just hasn't sunk in yet that most of the recruits now sign in December, leaving the Feb. day an empty husk of what it was.

If they had just CHANGED THE DAY from Feb. to Dec, people could've got that, but instead, they made it an optional, earlier day. But it's pretty much "the day" now.

Who were we even going to sign now anyway? To'oto'o? We signed six other LBs. Foskey? Doubt it. That TE who wants to play QB? Yawn...

Our best chance was some mystery WR and, ya know what? Somebody like that may still turn up, who knows.
calbear80
71Bear said:

calbear80 said:

I remember the good old days (Tedford years) when the second Wednesday of February was one of the most exciting days of the year for Cal fans. I still clearly remember exactly where I was when I received the news of signing of DeSean Jackson (LB Poly HS) over USC (I was in South LA around 6 PM) and Chris Conte (out of Loyola HS) over UCLA (I was in Monterey around 8 AM) among many others. Hoping for some good news today.

Go Bears!
First Wednesday....

You are right. Corrected it. Thanks.

Go Bears!
calumnus
BearSD said:

golden sloth said:

BearSD said:

OaktownBear said:

Serviceable is going to be the ceiling for the Cal offense until/unless better talent is recruited.

You can and should coach 'em up, but ... If you're going to win big with "less heralded recruits", you have to discover players with tons of talent who were overlooked by others, can't just take players who were accurately "less heralded" and turn them into Rodgers/Goff/etc.

Or you need to coach the players you do have so they play at a level at or near their potential (which also has not been happening).
It's both. But don't overestimate the potential of the QBs on the current roster. None of them would be even close to the level of Rodgers or Goff even if you gave them the best coaching in the history of college football.

Which, again, means that we can't escape the need to do better in recruiting.

We had a better offense with Vedder, Ayoob, Riley and Maynard. The last two years were the lowest ranked Cal offense in memory.
77Bear
71Bear said:

rothforever said:

Menlo-Atherton, CIF Division Class 3-AA State Champions: 4* LB Daniel Heimuli and 4* DT Noa Ngalu both signed with Washington.
82gradDLSdad
77Bear said:

71Bear said:

rothforever said:

Menlo-Atherton, CIF Division Class 3-AA State Champions: 4* LB Daniel Heimuli and 4* DT Noa Ngalu both signed with Washington.

Well played. I was thinking DLS too.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.