Brandon McIlwain question

10,645 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calumnus
calbearinamaze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is B-Mac playing baseball this spring? There was article a while ago on how difficult
it was for someone at South Carolina to play baseball and participate in any spring
football practices. I can see that being even more difficult at CAL with JW.

Have there been any Bears who have played basefall and football?

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
joe amos yaks
Mike Epstein.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
calbearinamaze
BEARUPINDC said:

Is B-Mac playing baseball this spring? There was article a while ago on how difficult
it was for someone at South Carolina to play baseball and participate in any spring

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok......well this looks like one those times in which I have to answer my own question?

That's a great question. You do take a hit on your street cred by misspelling "baseball".
But looking back through the history books, I might have gone with Mike Epstein...
6' 3 230 and a classy guy. Played both sports in high school , but don't think he played
football at CAL. Next guess would be CJ Anderson.......but that's an entirely different thread.
joe amos yaks
BEARUPINDC said:

BEARUPINDC said:

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok......well this looks like one those times in which I have to answer my own question?

That's a great question. You do take a hit on your street cred by misspelling "baseball".
But looking back through the history books, I might have gone with Mike Epstein...
6' 3 230 and a classy guy. Played both sports in high school , but don't think he played
football at CAL. Next guess would be CJ Anderson.......but that's an entirely different thread.

Epstein played fullback at Cal for Coach Levy (1961). And outfield / first base for Coach Wolfman.
calbearinamaze
joe amos yaks said:

BEARUPINDC said:

BEARUPINDC said:

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Epstein played fullback at Cal. And outfield.
Wow. Thanks for that. Epstein's a real credit to CAL and vice versa
Big C
Jackie Jensen.

Good questions, in general: What is McIlwain's football status for 2019? Does he want to play? How bought in is he to the idea of playing WR? Is he available to practice in the spring, even part-time?

(In an article in the Chron today, the staff now lists him as "athlete", meaning RB/WR. I know some folks here liked him at RB, but I see him as a WR or slot... and, coincidentally, we seem to have some need at that position.)
Alkiadt
Steve Bartkowski held the Home Run record at Cal for a while.

Jerry Goff, Jared's dad was a catcher for Baseball and punted for the Bears.
calbearinamaze
I love this kind of teamwork.

Thanks for Jensen.
Reference's college stats don't go back that far.....but he was 4th in the Heisman voting in 1948

Any thought of Jensen and the Red Sox might bring to mind Ted
Williams

On February 16, 1953, Williams, flying as the wingman for John Glenn (later Senator), was part of a 35-plane raid against a tank and infantry training school just south of Pyongyang, North Korea. During the mission, a piece of flak knocked out his hydraulics and electrical systems, causing Williams to have to "limp" his plane back to K-13, a U.S. Air Force airfield close to the front lines. The plane burst into flames soon after he landed. For his actions of this day, he was awarded the Air Medal with Gold Stars.

and Jimmy Piersall (Fear Strikes Out)_

calbearinamaze
Alkiadt said:

Steve Bartkowski held the Home Run record at Cal for a while.

Jerry Goff, Jared's dad was a catcher for Baseball and punted for the Bears.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
59bear
Gabe Arrillaga lettered in baseball, football and basketball in the late '50s, making him, I believe, the last do so at Cal. A couple of others from my era who played both football and baseball were Gus Gianulias and John Stewart. I suspect there have been many more over the years.
calbearinamaze
So, Jerry Goff in the mid-80s is the most recent
Bear mentioned so far. Maybe there has been no Bear in the
past 30+ years?????

Bo Jackson=> mid-80s
Tim Tebow-> did he play baseball at UF????

What's being asked of B-Mac? Does JW limit his chances on the baseball field? That's what
more or less happened at South Carolina.

LunchTime
A while ago, at that spring game right before 2007 iirc, a guy played the spring game, then ran over to play a baseball game right after.

Who was that?
calbearinamaze
Under Tedford then. I hope someone has the answer. One question would be was he
important to the football team or a bit player......etc.
415CALiBear
Wasn't Derrick Clark on the baseball team? Jacob Wark also comes to mind.
calumnus
BEARUPINDC said:

past 30+ years?????

Bo Jackson=> mid-80s

What's being asked of B-Mac? Does JW limit his chances on the baseball field? That's what

Elway played right field and pitched for Stanford (mean fastball) and played in the Yankee organization his junior year, using that as leverage to force Irsay and the Colts to trade him to the LA Raiders, which Pete Rozzell nullified due to his hatred for Al Davis.

Kevin Johnson played shortstop for Cal.
calbearinamaze
calumnus said:

BEARUPINDC said:

past 30+ years?????

Bo Jackson=> mid-80s

Elway played right field and pitched for Stanford (mean fastball) and played in the Yankee organization his junior year, using that as leverage to force Irsay and the Colts to trade him to the LA Raiders, which Pete Rozzell nullified due to his hatred for Al Davis.

Didn't know that about Elway. Just the thought of him playing for the Raiders makes me physically ill.
joe amos yaks
Wayne Stewart? And didn't he also play basketball?
calumnus
BEARUPINDC said:

calumnus said:

BEARUPINDC said:

past 30+ years?????

Bo Jackson=> mid-80s

Didn't know that about Elway. Just the thought of him playing for the Raiders makes me physically ill.

If Elway went to the LA Raiders in 1983 (a team that went on to win the Super Bowl) as Plunket's eventual replacement, Al Davis could have maintained his vertical passing mixed with Marcus Allen running. The rest of the 80s would have been LA versus SF, Raiders versus Niners in the Super Bowl nearly every year.
GMP
BEARUPINDC said:

past 30+ years?????

Bo Jackson=> mid-80s

There was a tight end not long ago - less than 5 years? Who also played baseball. I'll check the rosters around then

Found him - Jacob Wark. My memory was pretty good - he played TE and he played Cal baseball as recently as 2014, 5 years ago.

https://calbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7415

calumnus
Somewhat related: former Cal QB Joey Mahalic (2012-2014) spent 5 years in the minor leagues as a pitcher in the Cleveland Indians organization before coming to Cal and graduated from Haas in 3 years.

I believe there were others who came to Cal from minor league baseball. Some had deals where their former team paid their scholarship. Can you recruit the minor leagues?
calbearinamaze
I wouldn't think so.....but it's been a long, hard day.
ddc_Cal
Didn't Craig Morton also play baseball? Wiki says he was all-state in high school.

Maybe that was preempted by his knee injury.
SoCalie
Brent Woodall played football and baseball.
Fyght4Cal
calumnus said:

BEARUPINDC said:

past 30+ years?????

Bo Jackson=> mid-80s

Elway was wild af. That is all.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
run2win
Sam Chapman also played baseball at Cal. Chapman finished 9th in the Heisman voting in 1937. He went on to play 11 years in the major leagues.
joeroth12.com
X: @calgridiron
Facebook: California Gridiron
58ballboy
Didn't Jackie Jensen play both?
UrsaMajor
58ballboy said:

Didn't Jackie Jensen play both?
Yes. All-American in both as I recall.
MSaviolives
SoCalie said:

Brent Woodall played football and baseball.
RIP
MoragaBear
Staff
Back to the original question: Wilcox is not limiting McIlwain in his baseball participation. He said the 10 am football practices in spring ball should allow him to make a fair amount of spring ball practices.
mcdbear
I may be wrong but I think Ricky Spears played both in early to mid 90s
Bear70
I believe Sam Clemons played baseball and QB. I want to say late 90's.
dbush518
Staff
Wayne Stewart played basketball on the freshman team but I believe he did not play after that.
I am not sure Morton played varsity baseball. Remember he wrecked his knee in fall camp his sophomore year RETURNING PUNTS!

And as Moraga Bear points out, McIlwain will participate in both baseball and spring football. There might be a conflict or two, but Wilcox and Neu have discussed it.
OdontoBear66
dbush518 said:

Wayne Stewart played basketball on the freshman team but I believe he did not play after that.
I am not sure Morton played varsity baseball. Remember he wrecked his knee in fall camp his sophomore year RETURNING PUNTS!

And as Moraga Bear points out, McIlwain will participate in both baseball and spring football. There might be a conflict or two, but Wilcox and Neu have discussed it.
As I recall Morton and Schraub (sp?) played intramural BB for Putnam Hall until they got caught by the FB coaching staff. We, Bowles Hall, played against them one time, then they disappeared from intramurals.
cal83dls79
Good God. I have seen Elway, Del Rio and one day we saw Rodney Pete hit three dings one day. I've seen more baseball on this board than most . Oh and BTW roomed with Wolfman award winner and studs all round. Point being. It's really, really hard to be a two sport player.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
calbearinamaze
cal83dls79 said:

Good God. I have seen Elway, Del Rio and one day we saw Rodney Pete hit three dings one day. I've seen more baseball on this board than the clowns they pretend to care. . You guys crack me up. Point being. It's really, really hard to be a two sport player.
It's early back here...maybe I'm incapable right now of understanding plain English,
but I can only guess what the heck this sentence really means

Oh and BTW roomed with Wolfman award winner and studs all round

Say what?????

I had to look up the Wolfman award. Pretty cool because it has to do with films. But
for me there's only one Wolfman...just check out the first minute of this

"The Wolfman is everywhere"
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.