College Admissions Fraud

87,011 Views | 632 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OneKeg
Yogi58
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FuzzyWuzzy said:

OneTopOneChickenApple said:

I always bring up this kind of stuff when people argue against Affirmative Action.
This is liberal whataboutism. Two wrongs don't make a right.
LOL. Nobody and I mean nobody does whataboutism like a Republican. GTFOOH with that weak *****
okaydo
Cal Strong!
Cheating WEAK!
Cheating to get into stanfurd WEAK and STUPID!
No one want to go stanfurd.
So why cheat to go somewhere WEAK?!?!

Cal not weak. Cal STRONG!!!!
packawana
FuzzyWuzzy said:

OneTopOneChickenApple said:

I always bring up this kind of stuff when people argue against Affirmative Action.
This is liberal whataboutism. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Yeah you're right. Not allowing folks who are disadvantaged to have better chances at success and opportunity and letting folks who already have all the chances at success and opportunity to monopolise those chances is wrong.
NYCGOBEARS
USC will probably come out ahead from all this. It's repeatedly being referred to as an "elite university" in every report.
cal83dls79
okaydo said:

Here's what's going to happen:

Olivia jade wasn't mainstream famous despite having millions of Instagram and YouTube followers.

She'S now notoriously famous and will get her own reality show. This will be the best thing to happen to her "career" as long as her mom doesn't get any jail time.

This is an odd comparison: But this scandal kind of reminds me of the #MeToo scandals. Once some powerful people's sexual misconduct were exposed, there were people jumping in defense of them, saying they should be redeemed and forgiven and that they shouldn't be banned forever. Rich and powerful people are given the benefit of the doubt and many chances.

The problem is that instant forgiveness -- as David Mamet proposes -- means there aren't dire consequences. If there aren't dire consequences, then people will continue behaving badly.
there are also other things that may explain instant forgiveness. For example I had the misfortune of flipping to The View, discussing this issue and it's something I can't unsee. This after the issue was discussed 24/7 and had already been beaten into the ground. It doesn't take long these days. But that said, back to the USC beat down. That never gets tiring
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
pingpong2
71Bear said:

socaliganbear said:

"Those indicted allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said."

I am so disappointed. Cal is no longer considered an elite college. Heck, Cal can't even get celebs to cheat their way into Berkeley. This may be the final nail in the coffin of the Bears' recruiting woes.

If it makes you feel better, someone was caught cheating to get into Cal:

http://www.dailycal.org/2019/03/13/father-of-uc-berkeley-alumnus-charged-in-college-admission-scandal/
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/sidoo-sons-grew-up-with-many-advantages-made-most-of-many-opportunities

It would appear he was also on the crew team (legitimately or not, I don't know, but 125lb seems a tad light for the former):
https://calbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2759
okaydo
McVay

sp4149
hanky1 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

okaydo said:

The stereotype of USC is that it's a mostly white, easy to get into school.

But perhaps the problem is that it's gotten too diverse, and too rigorous, so it's harder to get somebody as dumb as rocks like Olivia Jade in. So they have to resort to other avenues.

"Non USA" is an ethnicity???
Otherwise known as "Chinese"
Wasn't that long ago it was known as the University of Saudi Arabia and the Tommy Trojan statue was dressed as a Saudi prince...
sp4149
pingpong2 said:

71Bear said:

socaliganbear said:

"Those indicted allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said."

I am so disappointed. Cal is no longer considered an elite college. Heck, Cal can't even get celebs to cheat their way into Berkeley. This may be the final nail in the coffin of the Bears' recruiting woes.

If it makes you feel better, someone was caught cheating to get into Cal:

http://www.dailycal.org/2019/03/13/father-of-uc-berkeley-alumnus-charged-in-college-admission-scandal/
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/sidoo-sons-grew-up-with-many-advantages-made-most-of-many-opportunities

It would appear he was also on the crew team (legitimately or not, I don't know, but 125lb seems a tad light for the former):
https://calbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2759
And still Cal is not labeled 'elite'!!!
The ignominy...
Bobodeluxe
How about that son of a friend that Teddy brought on as a preferred walk on quarterback. We ain't all that different.
socaliganbear
Bobodeluxe said:

How about that son of a friend that Teddy brought on as a preferred walk on quarterback. We ain't all that different.

Was he a walk on?
TheFiatLux
Bobodeluxe said:

You understand, if someone ACTUALLY played on the team, and if no one got paid for that person to get into Cal, then, that is actually TOTALLY, as in completely 100% different.

It's ealry, I was working late last night, but come on man.
Sebastabear
TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

You understand, if someone ACTUALLY played on the team, and if no one got paid for that person to get into Cal, then, that is actually TOTALLY, as in completely 100% different.

Seriously people. We sometimes work so hard to find equivalency it's ridiculous. No, we do not have employees engaging in the same fraud as USC, yes we have tons of safeguards to prevent this stuff from happening and yes we are free to make fun of Stanford and USC without fear of hypocrisy. Please spare us the "glass houses" BS.
Bobodeluxe
Right.
71Bear
Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Seriously people. We sometimes work so hard to find equivalency it's ridiculous. No, we do not have employees engaging in the same fraud as USC, yes we have tons of safeguards to prevent this stuff from happening and yes we are free to make fun of Stanford and USC without fear of hypocrisy. Please spare us the "glass houses" BS.
All the safeguards in the world will not prevent an unethical coach from going rogue (i.e, the Stanford sailing coach). Your comment smacks of hubris. Cal dodged a bullet on this one. Next time there is some kind of scandal? Who knows...
TheFiatLux
71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

All the safeguards in the world will not prevent an unethical coach from going rogue (i.e, the Stanford sailing coach). Your comment smacks of hubris. Cal dodged a bullet on this one. Next time there is some kind of scandal? Who knows...

Then let's wait on the self-flagellation 'til that "next time" and not draw ridiculous connections.

And btw, what's happening at USC is not a rogue group or lone unethical coach. I'm not using hyperbole when I say this, I'm dead serious - I think USC Is the most unethical organization in America. Top to bottom, outside to the very core it is as unethical as you get.
Sebastabear
71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

It is also in the realm of possibility that Carol Christ is a satanist who drinks baby blood and listens to Run DMC mix tapes in her spare time. But until someone presents a shred of evidence that's the case I'm going to focus on making fun of USC for their known scandal as opposed to our hypothetical one.
RJABear
Sebastabear said:

It is also in the realm of possibility that Carol Christ is a satanist who drinks baby blood and listens to Run DMC mix tapes in her spare time. But until someone presents a shred of evidence that's the case I'm going to focus on making fun of USC for their known scandal as opposed to our hypothetical one.
Run DMC ? Is that worse than the baby blood ?
71Bear
TheFiatLux said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Then let's wait on the self-flagellation 'til that "next time" and not draw ridiculous connections.

And btw, what's happening at USC is not a rogue group or lone unethical coach. I'm not using hyperbole when I say this, I'm dead serious - I think USC Is the most unethical organization in America. Top to bottom, outside to the very core it is as unethical as you get.
Who said the problems at SC are not systemic? I believe they have a structure that encourages the behavior that was exposed recently. My comment was directed at the "one-offs". Those schools were dragged into the scandal by a rogue coach not a failure of their safeguards.
TheFiatLux
71Bear said:

TheFiatLux said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Who said the problems at SC are not systemic? I believe they have a structure that encourages the behavior that was exposed recently. My comment was directed at the "one-offs". Those schools were dragged into the scandal by a rogue coach not a failure of their safeguards.

The first sentence was the main gist.
71Bear
Sebastabear said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

JHow about that son of a friend that Teddy brought on as a preferred walk on quarterback. We ain't all that different.

Ah-ha...

The old switcheroo. First, you identify both SC and Stanford as failing to have safeguards. Then you change to listing only SC. Thank you for deleting Stanford in your second post. Doing so confirmed my observation that rogue coaches do exist and can cause a lot of heartache for the PR staffs at schools.
71Bear
TheFiatLux said:

71Bear said:

TheFiatLux said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

The first sentence was the main gist.
As I noted earlier, hubris is dangerous. Avoid at all costs. Instead, take a more humble approach. For example, "let's quietly go back and review all our processes to ensure there isn't anything of which we are not aware".
BearSD
Two Stanford students are trying to exploit this scandal by suing every school involved.

One of them claims she couldn't get into USC and had to settle for Stanford.

They both claim their Stanford degree "is now not worth as much as it was before, because prospective employers may now question whether she was admitted to the university on her own merits, versus having rich parents who were willing to bribe school officials."

C'mon kids, you knew that long before now...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/14/southern-california-yale-colleges-stanford-students-class-action/3160526002/

OskiDeLaHoya
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-college-admissions-scam-stanford-ucla-usc-lawsuit-20190314-story.html

"Two Stanford University students on Wednesday filed a federal class-action suit ... alleging that the rigged system denied them a fair chance to matriculate at the elite institutions."

Is that what the kids these days call a "self-own"?
GMP
TheFiatLux said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Agreed. I wouldn't go as far as Sebasta by saying "we don't have employees" doing this - even with safeguards, you don't know. But saying we "dodged a bullet" is way too far.
NYCGOBEARS
BearSD said:

Two Stanford students are trying to exploit this scandal by suing every school involved.

One of them claims she couldn't get into USC and had to settle for Stanford.

They both claim their Stanford degree "is now not worth as much as it was before, because prospective employers may now question whether she was admitted to the university on her own merits, versus having rich parents who were willing to bribe school officials."

C'mon kids, you knew that long before now...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/14/southern-california-yale-colleges-stanford-students-class-action/3160526002/

White Girls of Privilege Gone Crazy!
socaltownie
71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

My issue is a slight extension of this - should ANY college (especially an elite private one) HAVE a sailing team with "preferred walk ons" or "recruits." Again, a kid from South Central is not mastering the 16ft hobby cat class and figuring out how to properly set a jib for maximum speed around the leeward leg. _IF_ such programs were self sufficient I probably wouldn't care. But they are subsidized one the backs of kids playing revenue sports - which are overwhelmingly kids of color. Seriously, let that one sink in for a bit.

I do not consider myself that liberal. I am not down to radical income redistribution. But I don't like the idea that those already with advantages are gaining additional ones off of groups that, historically, have been at disadvantage. I guess growing up in Berkeley had SOME effect ;-)
Unit2Sucks
Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

"There are a lot of killers. We have a lot of killers," the Cal Fan said. "Well, you think our school is so innocent?"
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Let's wait on that. Full review going on. Fingers crossed.
wifeisafurd
socaltownie said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

My issue is a slight extension of this - should ANY college (especially an elite private one) HAVE a sailing team with "preferred walk ons" or "recruits." Again, a kid from South Central is not mastering the 16ft hobby cat class and figuring out how to properly set a jib for maximum speed around the leeward leg. _IF_ such programs were self sufficient I probably wouldn't care. But they are subsidized one the backs of kids playing revenue sports - which are overwhelmingly kids of color. Seriously, let that one sink in for a bit.

I do not consider myself that liberal. I am not down to radical income redistribution. But I don't like the idea that those already with advantages are gaining additional ones off of groups that, historically, have been at disadvantage. I guess growing up in Berkeley had SOME effect ;-)
Most non-revenue sports at Furd are self-endowed and not subsidized by football.or basketball (in case you have not been to football or basketball events, attendance can be sparse). Different model than Cal or SC. I assume sailing was one of the few sports that wasn't fully sustainable. .
Sebastabear
71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

JHow about that son of a friend that Teddy brought on as a preferred walk on quarterback. We ain't all that different.

Ah-ha...

The old switcheroo. First, you identify both SC and Stanford as failing to have safeguards. Then you change to listing only SC. Thank you for deleting Stanford in your second post. Doing so confirmed my observation that rogue coaches do exist and can cause a lot of heartache for the PR staffs at schools.

Switcharoo smithcheroo. I'm alternating between SC and Stanford for readability. This is a message board not a dissertation. I'm making fun of everyone implicated because I dislike both schools and I can. Will continue doing so until I can't.
socaltownie
wifeisafurd said:

socaltownie said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Most non-revenue sports at Furd are self-endowed and not subsidized by football.or basketball (in case you have not been to football or basketball events, attendance can be sparse). Different model than Cal or SC. I assume sailing was one of the few sports that wasn't fully sustainable. .
1) I would guess that Furd is a significant outlier in that respect.
2) $$ is fungible (in part). Now this gets into difficult counterfactuals but one has to ask the question of whether the contribution to "endow" the equestrian team or Mens Waterpolo could not have been steered, through smart development practices to, I don't know, underwriting scholarships for deserving kids from San Bruno. THat is easy for me to say (with other people's money) but the stardard Furd line on this rights pretty hollow.

BTW - game day attendance is really just at the margins of the P&L. The big issue is really the football TV contract and, to a lessor extent, marketing tie ins around it.
socaltownie
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

????

1) Kid gets flagged as a preferred walk on or a recruit or something.
2) Athletic office first year grad worker bee goes over and asks.

"Hey coach, I am just doing post-recruitment compliance report 105-B. Last year you flagged Ms. Jones and Ms. Loughton as recruits. Could you point them out so I could ask them how things are going.

3) <Crickets>

4) "Coach - could you come by the AD's office in the morning."

Now I would aggree that it would be difficult to catch this other than "post-facto." But it is ludicrous to believe that "all the safeguards in the world" could not have caught it quickly it.
TheFiatLux
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Bobodeluxe said:

At this point it's hard to figure out what you're hoping for with those crossed fingers...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.