I believe the post and account are real...

3,943 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by flounder
NVBear78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I stand corrected by the younger generation who say the post and account do in fact belong to the young woman.

Alkiadt
She has posted on another social media site about being bi-polar.
If true, that's not a fair fight, but may explain some of this.
I'm not making any assumptions here. I only post it because she publicly acknowledged this.
ColoradoBear
Well, I'm not sure one can say either way. Seems awfully easy to fake a fake Instagram. Just takes a little MS paint.
GMP
ColoradoBear said:

Well, I'm not sure one can say either way. Seems awfully easy to fake a fake Instagram. Just takes a little MS paint.

This is fair. I haven't seen what NVBear is referring to, but in my original posts on this I shouldn't have been so definitive. There are a lot of reasons to believe it's fake and made by someone today/yesterday who is angry about her allegations, but it's possible she also had a second account/changed her screen name and someone screenshotted that.
okaydo
Let me explain to those who don't know about Instagram Stories.

The fake (or real?) image from the other thread is an Instagram Story, which is different from Instagram posts.

Instagram Story posts disappear after 24 hours.

Jared Goff posted this to his Instagram Stories 10 hours ago. In 14 hours, it will vanish.

So if that Instagram Story post is real, she posted it within the past day after her Facebook post. Or she posted it before her Facebook post, before she was "famous," and somebody who happened to be following her screenshotted it.

calumnus
okaydo said:

Let me explain to those who don't know about Instagram Stories.

The fake (or real?) image from the other thread is an Instagram Story, which is different from Instagram posts.

Instagram Story posts disappear after 24 hours.

Jared Goff posted this to his Instagram Stories 10 hours ago. In 14 hours, it will vanish.

So if that Instagram Story post is real, she posted it within the past day after her Facebook post. Or she posted it before her Facebook post, before she was "famous," and somebody who happened to be following her screenshotted it.

Which makes it almost certain that the one attributed to her is fake, right?
Bear_Territory
Looks real...someone who probably doesn't like her probably screen capped it to show all their friends. Her profile is public.
sycasey
NVBear78 said:

I stand corrected by the younger generation who say the post and account do in fact belong to the young woman.
Look, I'm willing to believe it's a real post based on evidence showing it's a real post, but you've offered nothing. Based on first glance it looked like the image was made up (wrong username, etc.). If you've got evidence to the contrary, offer it up.
GMP
sycasey said:

NVBear78 said:

Look, I'm willing to believe it's a real post based on evidence showing it's a real post, but you've offered nothing. Based on first glance it looked like the image was made up (wrong username, etc.). If you've got evidence to the contrary, offer it up.

The meme logo suggests someone uploaded into a meme generator and added the text themselves.
NVBear78
A young alum poster on the insider board carefully explained "Finsta" accounts and that the "meme"'reference didn't mean anything. A former Cal marketing intern I know checked it out and confirmed it was her account as far as he could tell.
GMP
NVBear78 said:

A young alum poster on the insider board carefully explained "Finsta" accounts and that the "meme"'reference didn't mean anything. A former Cal marketing intern I know checked it out and confirmed it was her account as far as he could tell.

The post says nothing about the "meme" image. I'm not sure where you see that.

Do you see how "meme" even posted OVER an X symbol? In Instagram, the X symbol closes out the "live feed" and goes into the normal feed. The "meme" is a watermark left by the meme upload website.

My guess is the photo is real and the text is fake.
BearGoggles
sycasey said:

NVBear78 said:

As a parent of teenage sons, let me explain a "finsta" (fake instagram account) which I learned about a few years ago.

Kids will often have multiple instagrams. The "public" account is for parents, friends, and critically, college admissions officers. Very wholesome.

They then create second "private" accounts for the inappropriate, politically incorrect, or just ribald type of postings. These accounts are not viewable to the public (invitation only) and have a different user name - often something funny or inappropriate.

So, in this case, the wrong/different username doesn't mean anything. The only way to know if its her real account is to either: (i) have someone who can see the account (such as a friend) confirm that; or (ii) possibly confirm based on viewing the photos and/or see who is following the account. In option (ii), there is always the possibility that it is a third party faked account with stolen pictures of the women, but since she's wasn't famous before today, that seems unlikely if the account existed before today.

It sounds like someone at Cal found the account and was able to verify it was her. That may be why her fb was shut down.
GMP
I stand corrected. It's not a watermark, but is from GroupMe, which I had never used.
sycasey
BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

NVBear78 said:

As a parent of teenage sons, let me explain a "finsta" (fake instagram account) which I learned about a few years ago.

Kids will often have multiple instagrams. The "public" account is for parents, friends, and critically, college admissions officers. Very wholesome.

They then create second "private" accounts for the inappropriate, politically incorrect, or just ribald type of postings. These accounts are not viewable to the public (invitation only) and have a different user name - often something funny or inappropriate.

So, in this case, the wrong/different username doesn't mean anything. The only way to know if its her real account is to either: (i) have someone who can see the account (such as a friend) confirm that; or (ii) possibly confirm based on viewing the photos and/or see who is following the account. In option (ii), there is always the possibility that it is a third party faked account with stolen pictures of the women, but since she's wasn't famous before today, that seems unlikely if the account existed before today.

It sounds like someone at Cal found the account and was able to verify it was her. That may be why her fb was shut down.

All right, so there's some reason to believe it could be real. I can't confirm with these sources myself so can't be sure.

Though I'd also note that if this is a "fake Instagram" account used for joking around, we might not want to take the post as anything meaningful.
Yogi58
sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

NVBear78 said:

All right, so there's some reason to believe it could be real. I can't confirm with these sources myself so can't be sure.

Though I'd also note that if this is a "fake Instagram" account used for joking around, we might not want to take the post as anything meaningful.
Given that no one can link to the account and everybody's "evidence" that it came from an Instagram account that belongs to her is all hearsay, I think people should slow their roll on whether the image definitely is or isn't fake.
flounder
Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

NVBear78 said:

Given that no one can link to the account and everybody's "evidence" that it came from an Instagram account that belongs to her is all hearsay, I think people should slow their roll on whether the image definitely is or isn't fake.
hearsay, kind of like what some bi-polar woman is claiming about Jordan Duncan...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.