CAL @ OLE MISS TRIP...

11,462 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Arcadiabear
olemissrebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Check the Ticket Exchange Forum for a great opportunity to visit Oxford and Ole Miss this Fall.
75bear
You're hidden amongst the fake passport and drivers license offers.
79 Bear
Thank you. Planning on being there with a large group. Have heard good things about Oxford and, of course, The Grove. Will take in Memphis also.
Sebastabear
75bear said:

You're hidden amongst the fake passport and drivers license offers.
I'll be perfectly honest that despite my 6,000 posts on this site I'd never heard of the ticket exchange forum until right now. Good to know I now have a place to go for my fake passport needs.
olemissrebel
I have a couple other friends who have condos for rent in the same complex as my unit, if you have a large group and are in need of multiple units. Let me know if I can help you guys plan your stay. I can give you plenty of recommendations for Memphis as well. I'm a 1992 Ole Miss grad, and live in Tupelo, about 40 miles East of Oxford. Let me know how I can help, or if you have any questions. My direct email is mprince.olemiss@yahoo.com
TomBear
Thanks OleMiss.

Me and my friends are all set and are totally looking forward to visiting Oxford and Ole Miss.

Outside of "The Grove", any "can't miss" places we should see while we're in town?
GBear4Life
Hotty Toddy! (I still don't know what this means)

Charlie Day from Sunny in Philly apparently an Ole Miss alum
ColoradoBear
How many vodka waters are stocked in your rental's fridge?
sp4149
TomBear said:

Thanks OleMiss.

Me and my friends are all set and are totally looking forward to visiting Oxford and Ole Miss.

Outside of "The Grove", any "can't miss" places we should see while we're in town?
How about some "Have to Miss" restaurants in "Ole Miss" ?

Here's a current list of restaurants in Ole Miss that have low public health ratings.

https://apps.msdh.ms.gov/food/FacilityListingDates.aspx?Start_Date=04%2f08%2f2019&End_date=05%2f10%2f2019&s_ShowToPublic=Y&s_result=C

Of note: Southern states like Louisiana/Mississippi don't close public places like beaches due to dangerously high bacteria counts (this happens so often in San Diego no one notices). Notices may be posted in the classified ads of a local newspaper that tourists will never see. Most locals eat swampfood (crawfish is not seafood) that is sold out of pickups along the road and is not inspected for health standards.

Good News : While brain eating Amoeba plaque water supplies in neighbor Louisiana where many water districts do not chemically treat potable water; Mississippi has eradicated the tiny danger.

For years, Naegleria Fowleri, better known as "brain eating amoebas" have plagued Mississippi's water distribution system. Finally, it looks like these dangerous organisms have been eliminated.

Joan Bagwell, Director of the CDC, issued a statement saying that scientists have discovered that all brain eating amoebas have been completely eradicated from Mississippi due to inadequate food supply.

"Quite frankly," Bagwell said, "these organisms aren't finding any brains to eat in Mississippi, and the ones they are finding severely lack nutrients. It seems like Mississippi has nothing to worry about.except of course infant mortality, hypertension, lack of medical facilities, and a number of other self-inflicted hazards."

Governor Phil Bryant quickly took credit for the findings, stating that his, "Tough on Brain Eating Amoebas" campaign has frightened and intimidated the "small, cowardly creatures." Even with Naegleria Fowleri completely eliminated, Governor Bryant did not want to take any chances. He introduced a bill that would "make it illegal to be a brain eating amoeba in Mississippi." Anyone caught harboring or aiding these organisms would also be subject to up to three hundred years in prison.

Cal Fans with a brain traveling to the Ole Miss game take note, or travel with legal proof that you are brainless.
GBear4Life

Quote:

In early 2016, SFGATE went through public health records to find San Francisco restaurants that failed health inspections. We've created a new list of the businesses that received failing grades from June 2016 to January 2017.

During that time frame, the San Francisco Department of Public Health listed 54 businesses that failed health inspections, including the popular Nick's Crispy Tacos and Ruby Skye. Many of the restaurants, including Nick's Crispy Tacos, were re-inspected and corrected the violations.

The most commonly found violations were vermin infestations, contaminated or adulterated food and unclean or unsanitary food contact surfaces all of which are classified as high-risk violations.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/San-Francisco-restaurants-failed-health-10874533.php
Sebastabear
sp4149 said:

TomBear said:

Thanks OleMiss.

How about some "Have to Miss" restaurants in "Ole Miss" ?

Here's a current list of restaurants in Ole Miss that have low public health ratings.

https://apps.msdh.ms.gov/food/FacilityListingDates.aspx?Start_Date=04%2f08%2f2019&End_date=05%2f10%2f2019&s_ShowToPublic=Y&s_result=C

Of note: Southern states like Louisiana/Mississippi don't close public places like beaches due to dangerously high bacteria counts (this happens so often in San Diego no one notices). Notices may be posted in the classified ads of a local newspaper that tourists will never see. Most locals eat swampfood (crawfish is not seafood) that is sold out of pickups along the road and is not inspected for health standards.

Good News : While brain eating Amoeba plaque water supplies in neighbor Louisiana where many water districts do not chemically treat potable water; Mississippi has eradicated the tiny danger.

For years, Naegleria Fowleri, better known as "brain eating amoebas" have plagued Mississippi's water distribution system. Finally, it looks like these dangerous organisms have been eliminated.

Joan Bagwell, Director of the CDC, issued a statement saying that scientists have discovered that all brain eating amoebas have been completely eradicated from Mississippi due to inadequate food supply.

"Quite frankly," Bagwell said, "these organisms aren't finding any brains to eat in Mississippi, and the ones they are finding severely lack nutrients. It seems like Mississippi has nothing to worry about.except of course infant mortality, hypertension, lack of medical facilities, and a number of other self-inflicted hazards."

Governor Phil Bryant quickly took credit for the findings, stating that his, "Tough on Brain Eating Amoebas" campaign has frightened and intimidated the "small, cowardly creatures." Even with Naegleria Fowleri completely eliminated, Governor Bryant did not want to take any chances. He introduced a bill that would "make it illegal to be a brain eating amoeba in Mississippi." Anyone caught harboring or aiding these organisms would also be subject to up to three hundred years in prison.

Cal Fans with a brain traveling to the Ole Miss game take note, or travel with legal proof that you are brainless.
Oh snap. I applaud your efforts to get some smack talk going. I eagerly am awaiting the "Berkeley residents freeze to death as critical shortage in hemp based clothing cause them to go naked in their yurts" Rejoinder.
Sebastabear
GBear4Life said:

Quote:

In early 2016, SFGATE went through public health records to find San Francisco restaurants that failed health inspections. We've created a new list of the businesses that received failing grades from June 2016 to January 2017.

During that time frame, the San Francisco Department of Public Health listed 54 businesses that failed health inspections, including the popular Nick's Crispy Tacos and Ruby Skye. Many of the restaurants, including Nick's Crispy Tacos, were re-inspected and corrected the violations.

The most commonly found violations were vermin infestations, contaminated or adulterated food and unclean or unsanitary food contact surfaces all of which are classified as high-risk violations.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/San-Francisco-restaurants-failed-health-10874533.php
I'm not sure you are really embracing the concept of "smack talk" here.
oski003
how is the ph of their h2o?

NYCGOBEARS
oski003 said:

Depends on how much vodka you put in it.
Goobear
Ok, late to the party but my wife wants to go to this game now. She is hotty toddy for it now. What are the best options for staying?
socaliganbear
Goobear said:

Ok, late to the party but my wife wants to go to this game now. She is hotty toddy for it now. What are the best options for staying?

My group is staying in Memphis for a long weekend and getting transportation down to game. Much better options than around Ole Miss.
petalumabear
socaliganbear said:

Goobear said:

My group is staying in Memphis for a long weekend and getting transportation down to game. Much better options than around Ole Miss.
Our group is doing the same.

I spoke to my gold standard rep and they quoted ticket prices of roughly $70 per. Has anyone bot tickets yet from any other vendor and what prices have you seen? thx
zorbarick
I just bought tickets through StubHub in Section S (which is supposed to be one of the "visitors" sections, so I'm hoping for a lot of blue and gold in the area). With the Stubhub fees, they came out to $66.60 each. For anyone who wants to be in the same general area, I'm in Row 17, and Stubhub has tickets listed in rows 16, 15, 14, 12, 10, and 9. Most are in the $70-$80 range.
NVBear78
Goobear said:

Woo hoo, will look for you at the game Goo. Should be fun! We are staying in Oxford but got hotel through Rip Hunters tour group. Not sure if they have more rooms but can find out.
BearInTennisShoes
How are you getting from Memphis to Oxford on game day--rental car? My group is still deciding whether to stay in Memphis or Oxford (airbnb).
petalumabear
BearInTennisShoes said:

How are you getting from Memphis to Oxford on game day--rental car? My group is still deciding whether to stay in Memphis or Oxford (airbnb).
We are still (as yet) undecided. Just rented a place in Memphis today. (AirBnB) ... thinking we could rent a car or van... but if we could put together a group (we have 8) that might be more than willing to throw in with a group and rent a bus.
Strykur
Is staying in Oxford really such a drag? The Grove is college football's Mecca and this is my Hajj, and I would rather enjoy the place rather than just book it out of there right after the game, unless the town does really stink as some are implying here.
GMP
Strykur said:

Is staying in Oxford really such a drag? The Grove is college football's Mecca and this is my Hajj, and I would rather enjoy the place rather than just book it out of there right after the game, unless the town does really stink as some are implying here.
I have kicked around making the trip. My understanding was that the issue is mostly lack of places to stay.
petalumabear
GMP said:

Strykur said:

I have kicked around making the trip. My understanding was that the issue is mostly lack of places to stay.
This is what we were told by numerous sources and given that Memphis is so close and there is a lot to do there gave us the boost we needed to stay there.
socaliganbear
Strykur said:

Think the issue is accommodations. Also, we're making a longer trip out of it, so I don't really care to be in Oxford for Thursday, Friday, or Sunday. Per my SEC coworkers, there isn't a lot going on in town outside of Saturdays.
Bear8
Wife and I are staying in Memphis. We will probably pair with another twosome to get to Oxford, but I don't want to speak for them. It's time we added everyone up who are staying in Memphis and want to shuttle to Oxford. We will need a big bus if I'm counting correctly. Someone needs to take the lead in this endeavor and contact a shuttle company in Memphis.
ColoradoBear
Well, the gametime is now on a 12/6 day TV hold.

Good luck to all making travel arrangments like a bus from Memphis or knowing whether you need to stay two nights in Oxford or can just do one.

Would be nice if OOC contracts provided for protected game times that were set in the contract form the start. Networks may lose a bit of flexibility, but they actually are getting extra content from these intersectional versus schools that play the little sisters 4 times at home for OOC.
Fyght4Cal
oski003 said:

Zero. They don't believe in pH down there.
Cal_79
socaliganbear said:

Strykur said:

Think the issue is accommodations. Also, we're making a longer trip out of it, so I don't really care to be in Oxford for Thursday, Friday, or Sunday. Per my SEC coworkers, there isn't a lot going on in town outside of Saturdays.

My wife & I are doing our "See America with the Bears" travels and spending three nights in Oxford (plus a couple of more in Memphis). Expect it to be fun checking out Oxford as a sleepy town on Friday, swelling by 100,000 on Saturday, and then back to sleepy on Sunday. How can one get the genuine local flavor without getting immersed in it for a few days?

Besides, it'll be fun to just roll out of bed on Saturday and already be there instead of having to fight through traffic.
olemissrebel
olemissrebel
petalumabear
olemissrebel said:

The historic SQUARE in Oxford is a must-see. Several bars, restaurants and shops, including Faulkner's Alley and Square Books (if you are a literary buff). William Faulkner's home (Rowan Oak) is also a cool spot to visit, near campus, if you are a fan of his writing.

As for the restaurants, there are great places I can recommend. Everything from casual to fine dining.

I would not recommend staying in Memphis. Lots of crime up there, and its not "close' to Oxford, as some of the posts in this string suggest. Its a good hour+ commute, and the traffic on game-day can get crazy around Oxford. My condo rental is a great package, and is very convenient to the Grove, the Stadium, and the Square. The only reason to stay in Memphis is if you can't afford staying in Oxford. The college football atmosphere on the Square Friday & Saturday nights will be worth the stay.
Pimping that condo rental HARD.... :-)
olemissrebel
Goobear said:

There are several hotels and condos for rental in and around Oxford if you book early.
My package deal includes a 3/2 condo near campus and the Square, plus 2 Club Level tickets (with option for more), and a parking pass close to the Grove and Stadium (although you can walk from the condo, if you want).
There is plenty to do and see in Oxford on a ballgame weekend starting Thursdays, and there are great restaurants, bars, and shops all over town, but especially around the Square. Only reason to stay in Memphis, is if you just want to party on Beale Street or can't afford to stay in Oxford.
olemissrebel
TomBear said:

Thanks OleMiss.

The historic SQUARE in Oxford is a must-see. Several bars, restaurants and shops, including Faulkner's Alley and Square Books (if you are a literary buff). William Faulkner's home (Rowan Oak) is also a cool spot to visit, near campus, if you are a fan of his writing.

As for the restaurants, there are great places I can recommend. Everything from casual to fine dining.

I would not recommend staying in Memphis. Lots of crime up there, and its not "close' to Oxford, as some of the posts in this string suggest. Its a good hour+ commute, and the traffic on game-day can get crazy around Oxford. My condo rental is a great package, and is very convenient to the Grove, the Stadium, and the Square. The only reason to stay in Memphis is if you can't afford staying in Oxford. The college football atmosphere on the Square Friday & Saturday nights will be worth the stay.
olemissrebel
ColoradoBear said:

How many vodka waters are stocked in your rental's fridge?
I can stock it with your choice of Tito's or Grey Goose. Just let me know!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.