Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Zach Johnson
Cal Football

Bears Add Commitment From Hart QB Johnson

June 3, 2019

Cal's Hart-Newhall QB connection paid off again with the commitment of 6-1/190 Hart QB Zach Johnson today, joining former Hart/Cal QB's Joe Kapp and Kyle Boller as Bears.

“After visiting the school and meeting with all the coaches, it did not take long for me to realize it is the right fit,” said Johnson. “I talked to Coach Baldwin about the offense and he made it clear I would fit in great with what they’re trying to do.” 

A top-notch student with a 4.4 gpa, Cal’s academics played a big role in Johnson’s decision, as well.

“Academics are very important to me,” said Johnson. “Cal academically sets me up for life after football.

“Overall it’s an incredible place and i’m excited to be a Bear.”

Despite playing at just over 160 pounds his junior season, Johnson had a stellar year for Hart, completing 219-of-357 passes (62%) for 2892 yards and 30 touchdowns, with 13 interceptions. But a growth spurt after the season and the accompanying increase in strength and velocity brought additional interest from Cal as offensive coordinator Beau Baldwin extended a Cal offer after a visit down South last month.

“Since the end of the season, I’m now up to 190,” said Johnson after the offer. “When Coach Baldwin came down, he was pretty impressed by the way I’ve progressed physically in the offseason. I think that played a big role in the offer.”

“Zach is a super-intelligent football player with a great arm and great accuracy,” said Hart head coach Mike Herrington. “He’s also a great leader.

“He has worked very hard in the weight room to increase his size and strength.”

Johnson’s keenly aware of the stellar duo of Hart quarterbacks who went on to stardom at Cal in Rose Bowl QB and former Cal head coach Joe Kapp and 2003 first round draft pick Kyle Boller.

“My coach talks a lot about guys that have gone on to success after Hart and it was pretty cool to hear about Joe Kapp and Kyle Boller and the success they had at Cal after Hart,” said Johnson last month. “It’s really cool to get an offer from the same place those guys went to.

“Joe Kapp was a beast from what I hear and Kyle Boller had an absolute cannon. He threw missiles, tearing guys’ gloves off.”

Johnson becomes the seventh Cal commit, joining receiver Tommy Christakos, who committed yesterday after Cal’s big recruiting weekend along with receivers Casey Filkins and Jeremiah Hunter, as well as offensive lineman Everett Johnson, linebacker Andy Alfieri and cornerback Isaiah Young.

More recruting stories:

Christakos Makes it Official With Commitment to His Dream School, Cal

Big Cal DB Target Clark Phillips Set to Visit Bears

Discussion from...

Bears Add Commitment From Hart QB Johnson

58,676 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by heartofthebear
Grigsby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting QB rolls out to left like AR did.
ducky23
Jesus in cleats is resurrected
NVBear78
Welcome to Cal!
Bear19
This is shaping up to be a really good recruiting class. Welcome to Cal!
joe amos yaks
Welcome.
Well done.
Good form.
Go Bears!
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
bonsallbear
Good skill set:

Arm strength, accurate, mobile, escapability , keeps eyes downfield , hits receivers in stride, moves around in pocket.

What am I missing?

Oh yeah ...........
4.4 GPA

Up to Baldwin now.
chalcidbear
My take from this video?

Sure is nice for a QB that has an offensive line that gives him time to throw, and receivers who can get clear downfield.
wifeisafurd
chalcidbear said:

My take from this video?

Sure is nice for a QB that has an offensive line that gives him time to throw, and receivers who can get clear downfield.
Don't be so greedy
JimSox
Yep. I agree. "...it's a incredible place."
4.4 GPA!
Cal_79
JimSox said:

4.4 GPA!

While you seem to be having fun picking nits with his commitment, do you really feel that this comment is verbatim from a typed statement submitted by young Mr. Johnson?
JimSox
Cal_79 said:

JimSox said:

4.4 GPA!

While you seem to be having fun picking nits with his commitment, do you really feel that this comment is verbatim from a typed statement submitted by young Mr. Johnson?

No of course not. Probably some auto correct bug or an editing slip up of some sort and a proofreading oversight. Just fun picking nits as you say. But it did kind of stand out like a sore thumb.
Cal_79
JimSox said:

Cal_79 said:

JimSox said:

4.4 GPA!

No of course not. Probably some auto correct bug or an editing slip up of some sort and a proofreading oversight. Just fun picking nits as you say. But it did kind of stand out like a sore thumb.

So if you don't think he said it, then what's the point of poking fun at his GPA?
Blueblood

"Geez, there's nits all over the place!"

Look I'm sure that Johnson is a fine player and an excellant student, but I do have a nit, too, to pick.

He's only 6'-1".

...and Garbers and Modster are both 6'-2".

As I've posited before, Cal needs to go bigger. Bigger is better for successs.

Let's take a look at the P12 north, shall we:

Stanfurd- experienced Costello 6'-5"
Washington- grad transfer superstar Eason is 6"-6"
Oregon- can't get rid of him Herbert is 6'-6"
Washington State- grad transfer Guburd 6'-2" may be a proven instant fix but the future is Gunner Cruz 6'-5".
Oregon State- around for seemingly forever Luton is 6'-7"

Sure I think a 6'-1" player may be fine but only if he's an already proven grad transfer superstar or otherwise has a very good supporting cast around him. Cal football doesn't meet either of these QB personnel situations. Until Cal does, Cal ain't going nowhere nohow.

Oh yes, defense may give Cal a year or so of success but not consistently like a very good offense might.

NYCGOBEARS
Blueblood said:

Oh yes, defense may give Cal a year or so of success but not consistently like a very good offense might.

How'd that work out for Sonny? Also, check out the heights of the most recent Heisman winning QB's.
Blueblood
NYCGOBEARS said:

Blueblood said:

How'd that work out for Sonny? [Well, I'm assuming Wilcox would continue to maintain a defense to go with a competitive offense to which I refer, but preoccupation with defense (like Sonny's with offense) alone won't do it for long.] Also, check out the heights of the most recent Heisman winning QB's. [What were their offenses like? I bet you your "I love NYC" teeshirt Cal is no where near what they had to work with and that neither Garbers nor Modster will perform any where near such a candidate.]
JimSox
Cal_79 said:

JimSox said:

Cal_79 said:

JimSox said:

4.4 GPA!

So if you don't think he said it, then what's the point of poking fun at his GPA?

Goodness. You're really annoyed about this.
Cal_79
JimSox said:

Cal_79 said:

JimSox said:

Cal_79 said:

JimSox said:

4.4 GPA!

Goodness. You're really annoyed about this.

I suppose I am. It seems far too often, regardless of the news, someone feels they have to poke at it and find the negative... Is it a ridiculous idea to enjoy some good news?
SoCalie
Grigsby said:

Interesting QB rolls out to left like AR did.
Does he have sort of an unusual release when he throws the ball? I don't know if it's that he has a really quick release? Or, if he throws sort of "side-winder-esque"? Don't get me wrong, I think he looks like an incredible QB and I'm really happy is has chosen to be a Bear. I'm just wondering if there's something "different" about how he throws the ball?
wifeisafurd
Blueblood said:

Look I'm sure that Johnson is a fine player and an excellant student, but I do have a nit, too, to pick.

He's only 6'-1".

Washington State- grad transfer Guburd 6'-2" may be a proven instant fix but the future is Gunner Cruz 6'-5".

Sure I think a 6'-2" player may be fine but only if he's an already proven grad transfer or otherwise has a very good supporting cast around him. Cal football doesn't meet either of these QB personnel situations. Until Cal does, Cal ain't going nowhere nohow.

Aaron Rodgers, 6'2"
Drew Brees. 6'0".

Size is not fatal. Btu yes, it does help to be taller in the QB position.
kad02002
Blueblood said:

He's only 6'-1".

Sure I think a 6'-2" player may be fine but only if he's an already proven grad transfer or otherwise has a very good supporting cast around him. Cal football doesn't meet either of these QB personnel situations. Until Cal does, Cal ain't going nowhere nohow.

Not sure if this is meant to be trolling or a joke or something but size is very overrated at that position. The list of great 6'2" and below college and/or nfl quarterbacks is long, including the past two number one overall picks and quite a few pro bowlers last year (subs or not ) - Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, Prescott, Watson.
Blueblood
wifeisafurd said:

Blueblood said:

He's only 6'-1".

Aaron Rodgers, 6'2"
Drew Brees. 6'0".

Size is not fatal. Btu yes, it does help to be taller in the QB position.
At Cal in the P12 north, size is apparently fatal to Cal, and I contend it will remain so.
Blueblood
kad02002 said:

Blueblood said:

He's only 6'-1".

Not sure if this is meant to be trolling or a joke or something but size is very overrated at that position. The list of great 6'2" and below college and/or nfl quarterbacks is long, including the past two number one overall picks and quite a few pro bowlers last year (subs or not ) - Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, Prescott, Watson.
I wish I was laughing.....but we're a'talkin' Cal here so let me repeat:

"How'd that work out for Sonny? [Well, I'm assuming Wilcox would continue to maintain a defense to go with a competitive offense to which I refer, but preoccupation with defense (like Sonny's with offense) alone won't do it for long.] Also, check out the heights of the most recent Heisman winning QB's. [What were their offenses like? I bet you your "I love NYC" teeshirt Cal is no where near what they had to work with and that neither Garbers nor Modster will perform any where near such a candidate.]"
kad02002
Blueblood said:

kad02002 said:

Blueblood said:

He's only 6'-1".

"How'd that work out for Sonny? [Well, I'm assuming Wilcox would continue to maintain a defense to go with a competitive offense to which I refer, but preoccupation with defense (like Sonny's with offense) alone won't do it for long.] Also, check out the heights of the most recent Heisman winning QB's. [What were their offenses like? I bet you your "I love NYC" teeshirt Cal is no where near what they had to work with and that neither Garbers nor Modster will perform any where near such a candidate.]"

Yeah I mean most quarterbacks fail. Good luck expecting Cal, or any program, to consistently have a top notch pro caliber quarterback.

Last year's college playoffs, Alabama had two QBs under 6'2", Notre Dame's qb was 6', Oklahoma's qb was sub-6'. But hey, what do those programs know about anything?
oski003
is this a comittment thread or a circle jerk?
NYCGOBEARS
oski003 said:

More a hexagon.
FloriDreaming
NYCGOBEARS said:

Blueblood said:

How'd that work out for Sonny? Also, check out the heights of the most recent Heisman winning QB's.
Worked out really well for Tedford. Still is. But yeah, pick the one coach who was good at offense but otherwise a bad coach, that totally blows a hole in the theory.

Cal's offense sucks and the team is boring as hell to watch. We had more fans watching Sonny Dykes football than we do now. Something needs to be done, not sure this QB will get us there. Hope he works out. Better than zero freshmen QB commits, which was Wilcox's track record until just now. Anything > nothing, but maybe still not that great.
Rushinbear
Uthaithani said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Blueblood said:

Worked out really well for Tedford. Still is. But yeah, pick the one coach who was good at offense but otherwise a bad coach, that totally blows a hole in the theory.

Cal's offense sucks and the team is boring as hell to watch. We had more fans watching Sonny Dykes football than we do now. Something needs to be done, not sure this QB will get us there. Hope he works out. Better than zero freshmen QB commits, which was Wilcox's track record until just now. Anything > nothing, but maybe still not that great.
You're just being silly now, or passive aggressive. Brasch? 6'4", 200#. High 3 star. Just sayin'. Not to mention Modster, although if you're determined to denigrate the staff, you wouldn't count him as a recruit. I would.
Big C
Zach Johnson, congratulations on deciding to become a Golden Bear! Don't let some of this thread give you second thoughts. (I'd explain it, but I cannot seem to, for the life of me.) Cal's a great place, though: Go Bears!
Bear8
We are forgetting that the man who brought us this recruit is Beau Baldwin and he likes running QBs. It's easier to run if you're smaller, less mass to propel. But I like that Johnson has accuracy as in 62% accurate in 11th grade. If he can capitalize on that and come back with 64 or 65% we are getting a quality recruit who can throw and run, if necessary. This is the kind of guy that will keep the chains moving.
Blueblood
Bear8 said:

We are forgetting that the man who brought us this recruit is Beau Baldwin and he likes running QBs. It's easier to run if you're smaller, less mass to propel. [I understand but Cal is going to have to do a lot passing, especially considering the Bears' untested TBs (don't you think)?] But I like that Johnson has accuracy as in 62% accurate in 11th grade. [I wonder too about such accuracy by his rs year at Cal? It might be better if he was a couple of inches taller (could be possible given that the other the members, especially the leaders) in Cal's conference division seem to think so?)] If he can capitalize on that and come back with 64 or 65% we are getting a quality recruit who can throw and run, if necessary. This is the kind of guy that will keep the chains moving. [True. I don't know that he will be able to run all over Cal's north division opponents...that is, you are hoping for pretty big "ifs."]
Blueblood
Big C said:

Zach Johnson, congratulations on deciding to become a Golden Bear! Don't let some of this thread give you second thoughts. (I'd explain it, but I cannot seem to, for the life of me.) Cal's a great place, though: Go Bears!
Oh c'mon, who's being silly now? If this thread causes Johnson to go elsewhere then I question his 4.4 gpa!
Blueblood
oski003 said:

"Gollygee, I'm really upset!"
Big C
Blueblood said:

Big C said:

Oh c'mon, who's being silly now? If this thread causes Johnson to go elsewhere then I question his 4.4 gpa!
I am! I am being silly! Why the heck not?!? Silly-silly-bo-billy. Banana-fanna-fo-filly!

All silliness aside, welcome to Cal, Zach Johnson!
flounder
well, we beat William & Mary in a head-to-head recruiting battle.
Blueblood
kad02002 said:

Blueblood said:

kad02002 said:

Blueblood said:

He's only 6'-1".

Yeah I mean most quarterbacks fail. [They do? Well, I guess it depends upon your definition of success. I'm not talking about all college teams in other conferences than the P12 like you seemed to dwell on for some reason.] Good luck expecting Cal, or any program, to consistently have a top notch pro caliber quarterback. [I guess your right there as Cal is proving your point in the P12 north division. Although I believe Cal at one time in the past seemed to consistently recruit fairly respectible pro caliber QBs.]

Last year's college playoffs, Alabama had two QBs under 6'2", Notre Dame's qb was 6', Oklahoma's qb was sub-6'. But hey, what do those programs know about anything? [Well, for one thing these programs know, unlike Cal, how to consistently be ranked in the AP Top 25. It might be due to these teams having a consistently good supporting group of players for their QBs. I am therefore figuring if Cal can't consistently recruit such a supporting cast (and Cal sure seems to prove me right in holding this thought) then at least recruit a good QB. Such a QB doesn't have to run but pass (as Sonny has recently shown) like the QBs consistently playing for P12 north division leaders, such as Oregon, UDub, Wazzu, and to a some extent even the furds. These QB generally are tall.]
But hey...welcome to Cal Zach babes!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.