STRONG update on Strong Family

9,605 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by okaydo
kirklandblue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Given JW's experience as a player and now as a coach under a number of we'll regarded HC's, I am inclined to have faith in his decisions on how to handle what might be somewhat sensitive decisions on any current student-athlete status in an athletic program as opposed to what might be expected by fans viewing the professional ranks. Of course he's still learning, like anyone in a relatively new position of increased responsibility, but I disagree that his approach to "injuries/discipline" should be characterized as weak. I believe we are watching the continued development of a strong football program, that JW's approach is nothing but professional in every sense (again, given his experience), and that it is, also, in every sense, strong.
SFCityBear
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong not Native American. Cal Strong no imitate any Native Americans. Cal Strong just being his own strong self without any reference to voices inside Rushinbear or anyone else's head. That Rushinbear and others apperceive Native American mockery voice big testament to their own weak racist assumptions that have nothing to do with Cal Strong.

Apperceiving racism when no racism persists WEAK! Time to take hard look in the mirror. Stop being weak. Be more like Cal, less like you.

Racism is most often in the eye of the beholder.
SFCityBear
Rushinbear
Bear19 said:

Rushinbear said:

Sadly, the blatant insult to Native Americans continues. Bye.
Rushinbear, was it the picture of Sal Mineo that offended? The discussion about grammar? I don't know what you've found to be insulting.
This is a long-standing gripe. It is the same as if I were to talk like George Kingfish Stevens.
Rushinbear
SFCityBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong not Native American. Cal Strong no imitate any Native Americans. Cal Strong just being his own strong self without any reference to voices inside Rushinbear or anyone else's head. That Rushinbear and others apperceive Native American mockery voice big testament to their own weak racist assumptions that have nothing to do with Cal Strong.

Apperceiving racism when no racism persists WEAK! Time to take hard look in the mirror. Stop being weak. Be more like Cal, less like you.

Racism is most often in the eye of the beholder.
So, it's whose ox is being gored? Are we back to the '50's, if not earlier?
KenBurnski
I think he sounds more like a Far side caveman cartoon. Now what?
Rushinbear
Cal Strong! said:

Fair enough. Hope at the same time, you'll take a look in the mirror yourself and consider the nature of your affectation (you can't expect anyone to believe that you speak or think like that).

PS Lots of people have insisted that they don't have a racist bone in their bodies, when the world knows that they're trying to save their own skin or are being coyly antagonistic. Take a look at all the other posters in Growls. You see anyone else writing with any such affectation? If your arguments are good enough, they'll stand on their merits.
Bear19
Rushinbear said:

Bear19 said:

Rushinbear said:

Rushinbear, was it the picture of Sal Mineo that offended? The discussion about grammar? I don't know what you've found to be insulting.
This is a long-standing gripe. It is the same as if I were to talk like George Kingfish Stevens.
Thanks for letting me know. I don't associate Cal STRONG'S writing style with Hollywood portrayals of Native American characters, but at least now I understand where you're coming from.
bearister
KenBurnski said:

I think he sounds more like a Far side caveman cartoon. Now what?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Bear19
Bear19 said:

Rushinbear said:

Bear19 said:

Rushinbear said:

Thanks for letting me know. I don't associate Cal STRONG'S writing style with Hollywood portrayals of Native American characters, but at least now I understand where you're coming from.

If Cal STRONG was old enough to see 1050's and early 1960's movies & TV shows featuring Indians, you might have something here. As it is, given CS's approximate age (20's, early 30's?) I think his writing style is much more likely coincidence than anything else.

Add Cal STRONG'S own declaration that he's not mocking or copying the style, I believe him. (If he were the sort of person to intentionally mock Native Americans, I doubt he would go through the trouble of denying doing that).
Rushinbear
Bear19 said:

Bear19 said:

Rushinbear said:

Bear19 said:

Rushinbear said:

If Cal STRONG was old enough to see 1050's and early 1960's movies & TV shows featuring Indians, you might have something here. As it is, given CS's approximate age (20's, early 30's?) I think his writing style is much more likely coincidence than anything else.

Add Cal STRONG'S own declaration that he's not mocking or copying the style, I believe him. (If he were the sort of person to intentionally mock Native Americans, I doubt he would go through the trouble of denying doing that).

Thanks for taking my concerns seriously.
SFCityBear
Rushinbear said:

Bear19 said:

Rushinbear said:

So how do you feel when certain politicians patronize a predominantly black audience by trying to talk like George Kingfish Stevens?

Such as:

Joe Biden, who told such an audience about Republcans, that ..."They're gonna put y'all back in chains."

or Hillary Clinton in a speech in Selma, Alabama, "Ah don't feel in no ways tired. Ah come too far from where I started from...."

or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortes, in a meeting on reparations hosted by Al Sharpton, "The fight's been long, y'all. I'm proud to be a bartender. Ain't nothin' wrong with that."

It's a blatant insult to all black Americans, so I would hope you would feel the same about it.
SFCityBear
Big C
Rushinbear said:

Cal Strong! said:

Fair enough. Hope at the same time, you'll take a look in the mirror yourself and consider the nature of your affectation (you can't expect anyone to believe that you speak or think like that).

PS Lots of people have insisted that they don't have a racist bone in their bodies, when the world knows that they're trying to save their own skin or are being coyly antagonistic. Take a look at all the other posters in Growls. You see anyone else writing with any such affectation? If your arguments are good enough, they'll stand on their merits.
Some people have a schtick that they do...

I am now at Stage Three with Cal Strong. First stage was "this is novel and kinda funny". Second stage was "this is tedious". Now I'm semi-oblivious to the schtick and just read the content. He does provide some content (some of which is embedded in the schtick). I'm not trying to say that I'm more highly-evolved than folks who are still at S2, but I will say that that's one less teeny-tiny irritant in my life.
joe amos yaks
Big C said:

I am now at Stage Three with Cal Strong. First stage was "this is novel and kinda funny". Second stage was "this is tedious". Now I'm semi-oblivious to the schtick and just read the content. He does provide some content. I'm not trying to say that I'm more highly-evolved than folks who are still at S2, but I will say that that's one less teeny tiny irritant in my life.
STRONG . . . CAL STRONG!
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
bearister
If you add Goop and insert jade eggs into Cal Strong! you get:

TheSouseFamily
The people who don't understand the way the CalStrong speaks are essentially outing themselves as not strong. We strong people understand perfectly what CalStrong is saying. If you don't get it, I believe the first step involves taking a long hard look in the mirror and then several other follow-up steps.
Rushinbear
SFCityBear said:

Rushinbear said:

Bear19 said:

Rushinbear said:

So how do you feel when certain politicians patronize a predominantly black audience by trying to talk like George Kingfish Stevens?

Such as:

Joe Biden, who told such an audience about Republcans, that ..."They're gonna put y'all back in chains."

or Hillary Clinton in a speech in Selma, Alabama, "Ah don't feel in no ways tired. Ah come too far from where I started from...."

or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortes, in a meeting on reparations hosted by Al Sharpton, "The fight's been long, y'all. I'm proud to be a bartender. Ain't nothin' wrong with that."

It's a blatant insult to all black Americans, so I would hope you would feel the same about it.
I do. Not that they're ever called on it. Bill was the first to do that (of the presidential candidates, that is).
bearister
...and Fox News is particularly outraged about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc-mocked-for-accent-at-sharpton-event-compared-to-hillary-clinton.amp
Rushinbear
TheSouseFamily said:

The people who don't understand the way the CalStrong speaks are essentially outing themselves as not strong. We strong people understand perfectly what CalStrong is saying. If you don't get it, I believe the first step involves taking a long hard look in the mirror and then several other follow-up steps.
I was shaving one day, years ago, looked in the mirror and asked myself, "Who are you to tell other people how to live." Not having an answer, my radical transformation began.

I understand what CS is saying. It has occurred to me that his affectation may be a cover for his lack of self-confidence in the merits of his arguments.
GivemTheAxe
SFCityBear said:

Rushinbear said:

Bear19 said:

Rushinbear said:

Such as:

Personally I wouldn't say that the one-time use of "y'all" for you all or "ah" for "I" is sufficient to qualify as a blatant insult.

However use of "Kingfish" type language would.

The former is too minor IMO and could be an innocent slip of the young. However the latter is clearly intentional
rkt88edmo
GivemTheAxe said:

I always thought Cal Stong was speaking English in the Tarzan dialect not the Tonto (as in Lone Ranger & Tonto) dialect
Clearly CalStrong not up to par with unfrozen caveman lawyer and much more in the company of these three:

Cal Strong!
Cal Strong move entire life to Egypt to work with ethno-religious minorities and take a lot of heat, death threats, threats against family, etc., etc. for doing so. Weak racism and weak racial mockery inconsistent with someone who do something strong like that. Cal Strong teach basketball and weightlifting to minority communities in Michigan and then later in Middle East.

Cal Strong too strong to respond to much of Rushinbear's projections. Cal Strong senses that there some weak hyper-sensitivities most likely borne out of strong genealogies of pain. Cal Strong sorry that Rushinbear suffer. This no Cal Strong's intention. Truly, it break Cal Strong's big Cal heart. But Cal Strong no have anything to do with this. It strange that Rushinbear take his pain out on Cal Strong. Cal Strong here to help Rushinbear and other posters with strong advice and strong friendship. He no want Rushinbear to be weak or hyper-sensitive. He want Rushinbear STRONG . . . like Cal!

In other strong news, Strong family check out Tacos Poncitlan today for lunch. We order baby strong cheese quesadilla with fresh avocado. This Baby Strong's first ever restaurant meal. Baby Strong had eaten off Cal Strong's plate a few strong times in Crete and Australia. But this first time we ever order something especially for him. Strong thank you to TSF for strong recommendation. Strong iron sharpens strong iron . . . like Cal.

Cal STRONG!!!!
Cal Strong!
joe amos yaks said:

Big C said:

I am now at Stage Three with Cal Strong. First stage was "this is novel and kinda funny". Second stage was "this is tedious". Now I'm semi-oblivious to the schtick and just read the content. He does provide some content. I'm not trying to say that I'm more highly-evolved than folks who are still at S2, but I will say that that's one less teeny tiny irritant in my life.
STRONG . . . CAL STRONG!
Joe Yaks posting STRONG today . . . like Cal . . . and Tacos Ponticitlan . . . and the Souse Family . . . and Cal Strong.

Cal STRONG!!!!!!
TheSouseFamily
Glad you got to experience Tacos Poncitlan, CalStrong! That's the real deal when it comes to authentic tacos. Hard to find that here in the Carolinas which is a major bummer. We do get excellent pulled pork BBQ though.
YamhillBear
Cal Strong Family might want to hit up the 626 Night Market nearby at Santa Anita Park. Food truck gathering on steroids meets SE Asian style night market.
UrsaMajor
CS!
Where in western Mass are you moving to?
bearister
UrsaMajor said:

CS!

Ssssh! Egyptian agents monitor this site.

okaydo
I heard a rumor that Cal Strong! works with SD-6. Is this true?
GBear4Life
The only thing 'offensive' in this thread was the tawdry claim of racism towards Native Americans without evidence or provocation.
Cal Strong!
UrsaMajor said:

CS!
Cal Strong no know precise location yet. But Greater Amherst / Springfield vicinity the general area.
prospeCt

okaydo
Cal Strong! Does this photo look familiar?

UrsaMajor
Cal Strong! said:

UrsaMajor said:

CS!
Cal Strong no know precise location yet. But Greater Amherst / Springfield vicinity the general area.
Nice. I lived in Stockbridge/Great Barrington for 4 years; beautiful country. My recommendation: stay away from Springfield proper--not a great city, but Amherst/South Hadley are beautiful and the presence of 5 colleges is a plus (UMass, Mt. Holyoke, Smith, Amherst, Hampshire).
Cal Strong!
okaydo said:

I heard a rumor that Cal Strong! works with SD-6. Is this true?
This not true. Cal Strong has only advised government officials and tried to broker peace. He never serve in government himself. And he never try to kill Sanda Oh (or anyone else).

Strong question, okaydo!
Cal Strong!
YamhillBear said:

Cal Strong Family might want to hit up the 626 Night Market nearby at Santa Anita Park. Food truck gathering on steroids meets SE Asian style night market.
Strong recommendation YamhillBear!

Cal Strong take Baby Strong on strong trip to Telefnica Gastronoma soon, while WifeStrong visit boring friends in San Diego.
Cal Strong!
okaydo said:

Cal Strong! Does this photo look familiar?

No. Is he strong like Cal?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.