hate to be the bearer of bad news....Ole Miss kickoff is 1100 CDT on ESPN U

12,627 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calumnus
hanky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Playing a game at 9 AM PST gives Ole Miss a pretty big advantage
hoop97
Staying in Memphis for the team would concern me most. Roughly 90 minute bus ride to get to the stadium for an early kickoff...
Cal_79
Please enlighten us with your evidence of people despising us behind their smiles of Southern hospitality. If anything, the bias you express towards the Ole Miss folks seems quite intolerant.
Eastern Oregon Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

510 Bear said:

Is the team literally jumping on a plane the minute the game ends?
Since they fly on a charter, they leave as soon as possible following the game.
yes, they change, get on a bus and go directly to a charter. They fly into and stay in Memphis (which mens an early morning), but may be able to fly out of a local airport that accommodates 747's.
This was why delaying last Saturday's game until Sunday wasn't an option. Cal had already checked out of their hotel planning to fly home after the game. Finding A hotel with rooms for 100 people on short notice on Saturday night wasn't likely to work out.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

510 Bear said:

Is the team literally jumping on a plane the minute the game ends?
Since they fly on a charter, they leave as soon as possible following the game.
yes, they change, get on a bus and go directly to a charter. They fly into and stay in Memphis (which mens an early morning), but may be able to fly out of a local airport that accommodates 747's.
There is an airport in Mississippi that accommodates 747's? I flew in and out of New Orleans when I attended the So. Miss. Game in '04. It was the closest airport to Hattiesburg that connected to the Bay Area. Of course, any excuse to visit the Big Easy is always a good one.......
MoragaBear
Staff
The team does not practice in the morning. That was only during fall camp and even then, it was 10:30, not before classes. They practice from @4 to 5:45.

I was really hoping to fully experience The Grove. Like others, I'll be driving in from out of town and it means a really early morning start and a much more condensed tailgate experience. I can't imagine the postgame tailgate's anywhere near the experience of pregame, especially if Ole Miss loses.
alarsuel
hoop97 said:

Staying in Memphis for the team would concern me most. Roughly 90 minute bus ride to get to the stadium for an early kickoff...

Absolutely correct. Is this confirmed? A 9amPT kick probably means a 4:00amPT wake up call if the team is staying in Memphis. Not ideal. I'll do the same to walk around The Grove, make a new friend or two , and drink more alcohol than any human rightfully should in a month, but this seems...suboptimal.
Strykur
alarsuel said:

hoop97 said:

Absolutely correct. Is this confirmed? A 9amPT kick probably means a 4:00amPT wake up call if the team is staying in Memphis. Not ideal. I'll do the same to walk around The Grove, make a new friend or two , and drink more alcohol than any human rightfully should in a month, but this seems...suboptimal.
There is no damn way the team would stay in Memphis given the scheduling, were we really that stupid to presume we would not be hosed by an early kickoff and not stay in Oxford? Better to have the team crash overnight in the visiting locker room.
MustangReb
Strykur said:

alarsuel said:

hoop97 said:

There is no damn way the team would stay in Memphis given the scheduling, were we really that stupid to presume we would not be hosed by an early kickoff and not stay in Oxford? Better to have the team crash overnight in the visiting locker room.

There won't be an advantage gained or lost by not staying in Oxford. Ole Miss always loads the team on buses and stays in a hotel in, I believe, Tupelo the night before games to avoid the, um, temptation and to get away from all the activity in Oxford on a football weekend.
Go!Bears
Cal_79 said:

Please enlighten us with your evidence of people despising us behind their smiles of Southern hospitality. If anything, the bias you express towards the Ole Miss folks seems quite intolerant.
Go with an open mind and be ready to listen and engage in an exchange of perspectives and you will find most are very curious about your views. I spent a month in small town Alabama last spring doing just that. I found people who want to understand us as much as we want to understand them. I won't say you will agree with them, but literally everyone I met was polite and willing to make an effort to explain and try to understand. We just live very different lives, have very different hopes and fears
GBear4Life
alarsuel said:

hoop97 said:

It's gonna be 11am local time. So they probably get up around 6am
mbBear
71Bear said:

Crusty old Colonel said:

this sucks donkeys.....

LSU at Vanderbilt, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN or ESPN2 or SEC Network*
Tennessee at Florida, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN or ESPN2 or SEC Network*
Southern Mississippi at Alabama, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN or ESPN2*
California at Ole Miss, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPNU
Auburn at Texas A&M, 3:30 pm ET/2:30 pm CT on CBS
Kentucky at Mississippi State, 4 pm ET/3 pm CT on SEC Network or SEC Network Alternate*
South Carolina at Missouri, 4 pm ET/3 pm CT on SEC Network or SEC Network Alternate*
San Jose State at Arkansas, 7:30 pm ET/6:30 pm CT on SEC Network
Notre Dame at Georgia, 8 pm ET/7 pm CT on CBS

Actually, this is good news...

Cal plays ASU on the following Friday night. An early road game gets the Bears back to Berkeley early Saturday evening rather than the middle of the night thus allowing Cal to get back to their normal schedule Sunday morning.
Exactly. The scheduling of a Friday night game following their longest road trip was brutal, especially if they are unusually drained from the weather...this does help some.
Sebastabear
Not going to get too specific here (for somewhat obvious reasons) but the team will not be in Memphis. They will be closer. The donor group and the AD are staying in Memphis. Yes they will leave right after the game. Pretty sure this start time makes Justin Wilcox happy.
cal83dls79
Sebastabear said:

Not going to get too specific here (for somewhat obvious reasons) but the team will not be in Memphis. They will be closer. The donor group and the AD are staying in Memphis. Yes they will leave right after the game. Pretty sure this start time makes Justin Wilcox happy.
well, if he's happy, I'm happy. Go Bears! I hope he just isn't putting on a good face. Great for next week perhaps ...but need to win this week. Thanks for the intel. Still won't change my travel fun from Nashville in the AM but I'm not playing or coaching, or god forbid, raising the ca state flag. Sorry, didn't mean to go to that third rail.
ColoradoBear
mbBear said:

71Bear said:

Crusty old Colonel said:

this sucks donkeys.....

LSU at Vanderbilt, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN or ESPN2 or SEC Network*
Tennessee at Florida, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN or ESPN2 or SEC Network*
Southern Mississippi at Alabama, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN or ESPN2*
California at Ole Miss, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPNU
Auburn at Texas A&M, 3:30 pm ET/2:30 pm CT on CBS
Kentucky at Mississippi State, 4 pm ET/3 pm CT on SEC Network or SEC Network Alternate*
South Carolina at Missouri, 4 pm ET/3 pm CT on SEC Network or SEC Network Alternate*
San Jose State at Arkansas, 7:30 pm ET/6:30 pm CT on SEC Network
Notre Dame at Georgia, 8 pm ET/7 pm CT on CBS

Actually, this is good news...

Cal plays ASU on the following Friday night. An early road game gets the Bears back to Berkeley early Saturday evening rather than the middle of the night thus allowing Cal to get back to their normal schedule Sunday morning.
Exactly. The scheduling of a Friday night game following their longest road trip was brutal, especially if they are unusually drained from the weather...this does help some.

It's a little overboard to call it brutal. Not optimal, sure. Not really liking the tendancy of Cal fans to repeatedly every little thing and make them into seemingly major competitive issues.

That said, I think the heat could be a big issue,but then consider what Boise did to FSU in swampy Tallahassee. They were in much better conditioned than the Noles and it showed (not too big of a stretch to say a coach that gives his players rhabdo to toughen them up might not know as much as he needs to about tathleric training).

Crusty old Colonel
TheSouseFamily said:

oskidunker said:

Why is this bad news? You would rather another night game?

Because in the south, there's more prestige with playing at night as opposed to playing at noon. Colonel will know better than me but I believe the night thing started because of the desire to avoid hot/humid days and it evolved from there. Heck, LSU basically only plays at night and is willing to fight to keep it that way. It's just different out here than it is on the west coast. There's a perception that day time games don't matter much and night games do. And the placement of games on TV would seem to support that.
sorry I couldn't answer last night...got caught up in the 24 hour rule...

anyway, please remember that I'm a LSU guy and NOLA born and raised, so I come from an entirely different culture (although there are more students from NOLA than you'd think at OM)

Night football - mostly identified with LSU, starting in the 1920s when it was cooler in the evenings and people were off work and could come to the games. In this day and age, it means more time to party before the game...

As y'all are an out of conference opponent with no history, the vast majority of people will be very friendly and curious...you want Oregon style hostility come to an LSU-Ole Miss game!!!!!! or even better, the Egg Bowl (vs Mississippi State) then you will see some pure unadulterated hate!!!!

I'm looking forward to the cultural mix and potential shock on both sides...God knows, I went through enough fish out of water when I was at DLI in Monterey back in 1979....

Enjoy Memphis and Nashville and New Orleans (for those thinking about coming up from there or going back that way)

I actually like the town of Oxford, and the area around the Square will be hopping after the game...

YamhillBear
Some comments regarding the various posts in this (and the other) post about gametime for Ole Miss:

1. Regarding the 11am start being gamesmanship by Ole Miss to throw us off our timing: isn't gametime dictated by the networks?
2. Related to that, 11am is one of the usual gametimes in Oxford, at least based on their home games last year.
3. If it's going to be a hot humid day, not sure whether any of those gametimes (other than possibly in the evening) would be that much more comfortable.
4. To me, that start is not my preferred choice of time, but is not as dreadful as many seem to be feeling! I'm still coming! No problem enjoying the Grove before gametime, and then lots of options for after the game! Guess I'm a Sunshine Pumper in that respect...
5. On a new piece of the topic: you may know that the SEC has started allowing beer sales to the public at games, and that Ole Miss has decided to join in that fun --- but (because they reached the decision late) they will NOT be selling beer at our game.
6. Thanks CrustyColonel for coming to our board and dispensing your local knowledge!
BGolden
As long as there is no hurricane that causes the game to be rescheduled later in the season.
Don't want to repeat the Southern Miss 2004 Kneepads fiasco.
Bear8
Go!Bears said:

Cal_79 said:

Go with an open mind and be ready to listen and engage in an exchange of perspectives and you will find most are very curious about your views. I spent a month in small town Alabama last spring doing just that. I found people who want to understand us as much as we want to understand them. I won't say you will agree with them, but literally everyone I met was polite and willing to make an effort to explain and try to understand. We just live very different lives, have very different hopes and fears
Can you imagine way into the future when we send humans to live on other planets. You think you have to engage in an exchange of perspectives now, it will be nearly impossible to communicate then. The settlers will have an English language that will a good amount of thinking and listening to understand. Dress will be different. Everything will be different depending on the distance between planets. Now we're only talking about 2,500 miles between Berkeley and Oxford.
GBear4Life
Teams always arrive two days prior, correct? (i.e. Thursday)
71Bear
Sebastabear said:

Of course, it makes JW happy. It is a real plus Cal. With the ASU game looming, I was hoping for an early KO in Mississippi. Obviously, a pain in the neck for fans who are staying out of town but a much better deal for the players........
FrankBear21
I guess the good news is that it will start before it gets too hot outside. The ending could be rough though.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
MoragaBear said:

I can't imagine the postgame tailgate's anywhere near the experience of pregame, especially if when Ole Miss loses.
FIFY
Sebastabear
GBear4Life said:

Teams always arrive two days prior, correct? (i.e. Thursday)
Yes, they will arrive on Thursday.
Big C
Crusty old Colonel said:

TheSouseFamily said:

oskidunker said:

Because in the south, there's more prestige with playing at night as opposed to playing at noon. Colonel will know better than me but I believe the night thing started because of the desire to avoid hot/humid days and it evolved from there. Heck, LSU basically only plays at night and is willing to fight to keep it that way. It's just different out here than it is on the west coast. There's a perception that day time games don't matter much and night games do. And the placement of games on TV would seem to support that.

anyway, please remember that I'm a LSU guy and NOLA born and raised, so I come from an entirely different culture (although there are more students from NOLA than you'd think at OM)

Night football - mostly identified with LSU, starting in the 1920s when it was cooler in the evenings and people were off work and could come to the games. In this day and age, it means more time to party before the game...

As y'all are an out of conference opponent with no history, the vast majority of people will be very friendly and curious...you want Oregon style hostility come to an LSU-Ole Miss game!!!!!! or even better, the Egg Bowl (vs Mississippi State) then you will see some pure unadulterated hate!!!!

I'm looking forward to the cultural mix and potential shock on both sides...God knows, I went through enough fish out of water when I was at DLI in Monterey back in 1979....

Enjoy Memphis and Nashville and New Orleans (for those thinking about coming up from there or going back that way)

I actually like the town of Oxford, and the area around the Square will be hopping after the game...

Colonel, I'm pretty sure it must be, but I'd better double-check: Marijuana IS legal in Mississippi now, isn't it?
cal83dls79
71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

Of course, it makes JW happy. It is a real plus Cal. With the ASU game looming, I was hoping for an early KO in Mississippi. Obviously, a pain in the neck for fans who are staying out of town but a much better deal for the players........
please explain how this is a better deal for the players. I think at best it's a push. Ole Miss Fans will be in full cocktail force as we are on a highway or lost in the Grove. Thankfully I have no idea where I am sitting as my niece from Vandy has many friends down here that had extras. I actually like sitting in the opposing teams section in the south. Good folk. Let's win!
Crusty old Colonel
Big C said:

Crusty old Colonel said:

TheSouseFamily said:

oskidunker said:

Colonel, I'm pretty sure it must be, but I'd better double-check: Marijuana IS legal in Mississippi now, isn't it?
Medical pot is legal...that doesn't mean it isn't consumed, however I'd be EXTREMLY careful in Oxford as the minor-in-possession of alcohol nazis will be out in force....even if you have a prescription....
cal83dls79
Big C said:

Crusty old Colonel said:

TheSouseFamily said:

oskidunker said:

stay in campus https://msbusiness.com/2019/07/ole-miss-growing-largest-crop-of-marijuana-for-research-in-5-years/
71Bear
cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

please explain how this is a better deal for the players. I think at best it's a push. Ole Miss Fans will be in full cocktail force as we are on a highway or lost in the Grove. Thankfully I have no idea where I am sitting as my niece from Vandy has many friends down here that had extras. I actually like sitting in the opposing teams section in the south. Good folk. Let's win!
Keeping players on a routine regarding rest, academics, practice, etc. is paramount. Getting back to Berkeley Saturday evening rather than 3:00am on Sunday is a major plus, particularly when they face a short week due to the Friday night game.
cal83dls79
71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

Keeping players on a routine regarding rest, academics, practice, etc. is paramount. Getting back to Berkeley Saturday evening rather than 3:00am on Sunday is a major plus, particularly when they face a short week due to the Friday night game.
I see that but as far as this week and this game....:? In that respect I'm not seeing an advantage
71Bear
cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

I see that but as far as this week and this game....:? In that respect I'm not seeing an advantage
Because, following the Mississippi game, Cal comes home to play ASU on Friday night.
GBear4Life
71Bear said:

Don't really think that matters. Sunday is a rest day/do nothing day either way
71Bear
GBear4Life said:

71Bear said:

Don't really think that matters. Sunday is a rest day/do nothing day either way
Evidently you do not understand how important routine (practicing, academics, rest, etc.) is to athletes. No problem, it isn't the first time (and probably would be the last time) you stepped in it.
cal83dls79
71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

Because, following the Mississippi game, Cal comes home to play ASU on Friday night.
still not answering the Oxford advantage question. I see the ASU advantage, oh well
71Bear
cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

He Not going to get too specific here (for somewhat obvious reasons) but the team will not be in Memphis. They will be closer. The donor group and the AD are staying in Memphis. Yes they will leave right after the game. Pretty sure this start time makes Justin Wilcox happy.
still not answering the Oxford advantage question. I see the ASU advantage, oh well
In order to get home early, the game must be played early. Since it is an advantage to the guys to get home early, it is obviously an advantage to play early. The two pieces of the puzzle have to fit together to put Cal in a position to remain in their routine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.