"They underestimated us. They doubted us."

6,908 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cal8285
burritos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did UW offer Weaver? When Shaq went to UW over us, it was always a bit painful to see him do well against us(I remember his returning a goal line fumble the distance against us). But how painful must it be to see a local kid go away and then play meteorically against you later on. Pick six FTW followed by 18 tackles. I think that's reasonable payback for ShaqT.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
burritos said:

Did UW offer Weaver?

I read that he was not offered by UW.
JSC 76
The video appeared in my Facebook feed, so I don't know what the problem was here.

It sounds like Starkey's voice, saying the Bears and Huskies have played every year since 1916. Not true...we missed them in 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1995, 1996. That's why we had a 19-game losing streak that lasted 25 years (1977-2001).
GMP
JSC 76 said:

The video appeared in my Facebook feed, so I don't know what the problem was here.

It sounds like Starkey's voice, saying the Bears and Huskies have played every year since 1916. Not true...we missed them in 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1995, 1996. That's why we had a 19-game losing streak that lasted 25 years (1977-2001).
Yes, it was Starkey, yes I knew that was wrong, too.
BearGoggles
KenBurnski said:

The Garbers block on that second TD was so clean. He rolled his man. Really nice video.
In 20 years, when Garbers looks back on his career in football, I have no doubt that block will be on his personal highlight real. He trucked that db. For any qb, that is a thing of beauty.
Cal8285
GMP said:

JSC 76 said:

I suspect that this was in the game notes for the media (can't guess if it was put out by Cal or UW), because the broadcasters on FS1 said something similar during the pre-lightning delay portion of the game, except they said that Bears and Huskies were the ONLY Pac-12 conference teams that had played every year since 1916.

My wife said, "Really? Not Cal and Stanford?" I was already puzzled. I had a full blown seizure 8 hours earlier and was still suffering some post-seizure confusion, so I was not 100% sure I was right in instantly thinking the announcers had to be wrong. It took me a few seconds to pull it out of my head, and I told my wife, "It isn't true, because there was a lengthy period when the Pac-10 played a 7-8 and then 8 game schedule, and in maybe a half dozen years, Cal didn't play UW. During the Pac-10 years, for each of the conference teams except Spoiled Children, Lower Achievers, and the Junior University, there were seasons in which we didn't play them. I'm also pretty sure UW was missed during at least one WWII year. As for Stanford, I'm pretty sure they missed during some war years, too."

Unlike the FS1 broadcasters, Starkey was the Bears announcer during all of those Pac-10 years, and you'd think he could at least be aware that the Bears hadn't played UW every year. UCLA, USC, and Stanford are the only schools that Cal played every year during the Pac-10 years. Starkey should know that.

I expect the FS1 guys to assume the facts in the media notes are true and not have the knowledge to know this "fact" was wrong, but I wish our play-by-play announcer of 45 years had enough awareness to instantly know we have not played UW every year since 1976, not just 1916. I know Starkey's old and his brain doesn't work as well as it used to, but even with lingering post-seizure confusion, I still felt as soon as I heard the FS1 guys that they were wrong, and only needed a few seconds to remember why. If Starkey's brain is worse than my brain was 8 hours post-seizure, it is time to go.
TheSouseFamily
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

burritos said:

Did UW offer Weaver?

According to the recruiting sites, he was offered by UW. But then again, not all offers are created equal.
NYCGOBEARS
TheSouseFamily said:

TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

burritos said:

Did UW offer Weaver?

According to the recruiting sites, he was offered by UW. But then again, not all offers are created equal.

I'd heard that he was offered very late and was already committed to Cal.
TheSouseFamily
NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

burritos said:

Did UW offer Weaver?

I'd heard that he was offered very late and was already committed to Cal.

Could very well be. I don't remember his recruitment all that well. But I do get a chuckle out of UW being his crystal ball prediction on 247 (because there was only one CB and it was for UW).

https://247sports.com/Player/Evan-Weaver-76889/high-school-134175/
71Bear
Cal8285 said:

GMP said:

JSC 76 said:

The HThe video appeared in my Facebook feed, so I don't know what the problem was here.

I suspect that this was in the game notes for the media (can't guess if it was put out by Cal or UW), because the broadcasters on FS1 said something similar during the pre-lightning delay portion of the game, except they said that Bears and Huskies were the ONLY Pac-12 conference teams that had played every year since 1916.

My wife said, "Really? Not Cal and Stanford?" I was already puzzled. I had a full blown seizure 8 hours earlier and was still suffering some post-seizure confusion, so I was not 100% sure I was right in instantly thinking the announcers had to be wrong. It took me a few seconds to pull it out of my head, and I told my wife, "It isn't true, because there was a lengthy period when the Pac-10 played a 7-8 and then 8 game schedule, and in maybe a half dozen years, Cal didn't play UW. During the Pac-10 years, for each of the conference teams except Spoiled Children, Lower Achievers, and the Junior University, there were seasons in which we didn't play them. I'm also pretty sure UW was missed during at least one WWII year. As for Stanford, I'm pretty sure they missed during some war years, too."

Unlike the FS1 broadcasters, Starkey was the Bears announcer during all of those Pac-10 years, and you'd think he could at least be aware that the Bears hadn't played UW every year. UCLA, USC, and Stanford are the only schools that Cal played every year during the Pac-10 years. Starkey should know that.

I expect the FS1 guys to assume the facts in the media notes are true and not have the knowledge to know this "fact" was wrong, but I wish our play-by-play announcer of 45 years had enough awareness to instantly know we have not played UW every year since 1976, not just 1916. I know Starkey's old and his brain doesn't work as well as it used to, but even with lingering post-seizure confusion, I still felt as soon as I heard the FS1 guys that they were wrong, and only needed a few seconds to remember why. If Starkey's brain is worse than my brain was 8 hours post-seizure, it is time to go.
A couple thoughts...

Cal and Stanford did not play during WWII because LSJU suspended their football program.

Also, the confusion regarding 1916 probably stems from the fact that Cal and UW are the only two schools in the P12 conference that have continuously been members and have fielded a football team since the founding of the conference in 1916.
Cal8285
71Bear said:

Cal8285 said:

GMP said:

JSC 76 said:

The HThe video appeared in my Facebook feed, so I don't know what the problem was here.

A couple thoughts...

Cal and Stanford did not play during WWII because LSJU suspended their football program.

Also, the confusion regarding 1916 probably stems from the fact that Cal and UW are the only two schools in the P12 conference that have continuously been members and have fielded a football team since the founding of the conference in 1916.
That makes sense as the source of the confusion. I suppose it is even possible that the game note for the media was accurate but worded in a way that confused both the FS1 announcers and Starkey.

I went back and listened, and the FS1 announcer's statement was as clear as Starkey's: "These are the only two teams in the Pac-12 who have played each other EVERY YEAR since the league was founded in 1916." Nope, 71Bear can tell you what the media game note SHOULD be.

Thanks for the note on LSJU suspending their program, looks like there was no game in '43, '44, and '45. It also looks to me like Cal didn't play UW in 1918, 1920, or 1943. Do you have any idea why there was no Cal-UW game in those 3 years?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.