I'm thinking Fat Slice is now closed?

7,243 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 510 Bear
SBGold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Walked by after the bball game on Tuesday, saw it was dark . No closure sign though. Yelp reports that yelpers are reporting it is closed.

End of an era
KoreAmBear
I liked both Blondies and Fat Slice. Is Blondies no more too?
TheSouseFamily
Thoughts and prayers for fat_slice and his family.
SBGold
I think Blondies is gone, maybe it is something called Abe's Pizza. History is leaving us, if Annapurna leaves . . .
Big C
Aaargh! My kids loved Fat Slice. We stopped there before the ASU game. (I guess that was actually a long time ago... Cal still had an offense.)
Econ141
You called?
philbert
SBGold said:

I think Blondies is gone, maybe it is something called Abe's Pizza. History is leaving us, if Annapurna leaves . . .
It was Abe's Pizza the last time I walked by, but that's at least a year ago.

Another Bear
Well that's a bummer.
Strykur
Another Bear said:

Well that's a bummer.
Blondies is no longer what it was, with Fat Slice gone, our past is becoming lost...
bluehenbear
Back in my day we had the choice between Fat Slice and Blondies...and we liked it!

Beardog26
I believe it is still Abe's Pizza.
calumnus
Sliver's Telegraph location is eating their lunch?
dimitrig

Back in the early 1990s a couple years after Fat Slice first opened up I got a slice and brought it home to eat. I opened it up and my cat was very interested, sniffing it. Her tail fluffed up and she ran away. I did not eat that slice of pizza or any other pizza from Fat Slice since.

75bear
From a nostalgia perspective, it's sad to see Blondie's and Fat Slice go.

But let's all admit the pizza at both were pretty terrible.
MSaviolives
dimitrig said:

Back in the early 1990s a couple years after Fat Slice first opened up I got a slice and brought it home to eat. I opened it up and my cat was very interested, sniffing it. Her tail fluffed up and she ran away. I did not eat that slice of pizza or any other pizza from Fat Slice since.

Failed the cat scan. I don't blame you.
philbert
My favorite memory of blondie's....

https://funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/2673716/Giant/
B.A. Bearacus
RIP Fat Slice, my preferred filling and dirt cheap meal as a freshman and sophomore. Fat Slice all day over Blondie's. Bring back my undergrad metabolism.
LunchTime
I LOVED Fat Slice. It was an almost every day visit. Great pizza.

Then, sometime later in life, I went there when I had the kind of money where I could spend $3 on lunch, and it suddenly was terrible.

Funny how that works.
Strykur
LunchTime said:

I LOVED Fat Slice. It was an almost every day visit. Great pizza.

Then, sometime later in life, I went there when I had the kind of money where I could spend $3 on lunch, and it suddenly was terrible.

Funny how that works.

In undergrad I used to buy $7 bottles of Andre thinking I was getting a good drink for cheap, what an idiot I was.
Oski87
I heard the guys from Rancid all worked at fat slice when it opened in the 80's. I used to go there but after I heard that about 20 years ago I stopped. Where would they have gotten that name?
Another Bear
Strykur said:

Another Bear said:

Well that's a bummer.
Blondies is no longer what it was, with Fat Slice gone, our past is becoming lost...
As long as Top Dog sticks around I'm okay but I get your drift. Mario's La Fiesta closing...now that one hurt a bit.
62bear
One of my favorite memories from my freshman year is when I was sitting at Fat Slice scarfing down a slice and a drink before I had to head back to campus and an elderly homeless man made his way to the back and went up to a table to ask for some money. When that first group refused, he hurled some horribly racist insults at them and just moved to the adjacent table. Refused again, more insults. But not the same phrase, he would tailor his insults for his audience. He did this for every group, just sidling the five or so feet to his next potential benefactors. By the time he got to me, I was looking forward to my turn. I think it was $2.50 or $2.25 for a slice and a soda? Can I even get 15 minutes of parking in Berkeley for that now? New Berkeley seems less grimy than in the early-/mid-90s. I'm glad I was a student back then.
cal83dls79
I think that Artichoke Basil place is killing it. Bowditch and Durant. I didn't go there in principle alone and I thought the name pretentious....plus Top Dog was right there. Was desperate one day and had a slice. Pretty good, not Arinels good but upscale and what the kids are accustomed to....plus it's a shorter walk to the dorms and Greeks.
Never did Fat Slice as I thought it would betray my Blondies roots. Lived across from the Smokehouse for a while and could see them pick up phone when I called in my order.

Good run down on the late night dining scene:
https://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/11/09/a-guide-to-berkeleys-late-night-eats
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
dajo9
Oski87 said:

I heard the guys from Rancid all worked at fat slice when it opened in the 80's. I used to go there but after I heard that about 20 years ago I stopped. Where would they have gotten that name?

At Casa Zimbabwe in 1994 we paid Rancid $50 and free beer to play a party. They rocked the house.

RIP Fat Slice. I took in many calories from there.
American Vermin
Another Bear
dajo9 said:

Oski87 said:

At Casa Zimbabwe in 1994 we paid Rancid $50 and free beer to play a party. They rocked the house.

Ong Yangh...I use to live next door in Ridge.
dimitrig
dajo9 said:

Oski87 said:

Lint used to hang out in Cloyne all the time. It was not just Rancid, but Green Day also played CZ, although that may have been 1991-ish.
BearRaidNation
Berkeley has gentrified - it's fancy now... tech money has arrived in the East Bay.
dajo9
dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

Oski87 said:

Lint used to hang out in Cloyne all the time. It was not just Rancid, but Green Day also played CZ, although that may have been 1991-ish.

Green Day and Primus were before my time, but I'll always have Rancid
American Vermin
Chapman_is_Gone
dimitrig said:

Cats lick their asses. Not sure I'd trust their judgement.
dimitrig
Chapman_is_Gone said:

dimitrig said:

And yet, somehow, Fat Slice was worse. Think about that.
jy1988
Arinell's on Shattuck is the last cheap pizza place (and it ain't all that cheap anymore). I remember getting Arinell's slices on southside (off of Dwight Way) for 1.25 per.
Another Bear
dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

Oski87 said:

My sister lived at Cloyne when Primus and Green Day played. Their fee: all the beer and fish sticks they could consume.

re: Blondies vs. Fat Slice...personal preference.
HearstMining
dimitrig said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

dimitrig said:

And yet, somehow, Fat Slice was worse. Think about that.
Well-played by you both. Best intellectual discourse I've read on BI in a while!
okaydo
dajo9 said:

Oski87 said:

I lived in CZ a few years after you. I was the last person to pick a room. I lived in a triple by myself. That's how bad it's reputation got.
BerlinerBaer
okaydo said:

dajo9 said:

Oski87 said:

I lived in CZ a few years after you. I was the last person to pick a room. I lived in a triple by myself. That's how bad it's reputation got.
I arrived a few years later still, in the midst of a particularly tight housing situation. I think every bed was full by the spring semester. This was in 2000 - 2001.

My last visit to the place was in 2004 or 2005, before they renovated. My vague recollection was of it backsliding again before everyone got evicted.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.