Okay so what bowl do we go to?

12,401 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ColoradoBear
gobears3000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just not El Paso LOL
calftball
Please El Paso..
I want the Sun
packawana
The logical choice is to end up in the Redbox Bowl but I think that the Holiday and Sun Bowls are possible depending on which one decides to choose us? It depends on whether we get picked over Washington and AZ State for the Holiday Bowl.
JimSox
packawana said:

The logical choice is to end up in the Redbox Bowl but I think that the Holiday and Sun Bowls are possible depending on which one decides to choose us? It depends on whether we get picked over Washington and AZ State for the Holiday Bowl.

Those are the three they're talking about on the radio.
gobears3000
So I guess we have to wait till after the Pac-12 championships
heartofthebear
According to the bowl tie ins system, I am guessing that Cal will play in the Redbox bowl in Santa Clara vs. 6-6 Illinois. And I suspect that Cal would be favored.
calgo430
boise state in vegas would be a winner
sycasey
Redbox seems most likely.
ducky23
Bowl math has been simplified after tonight.

It really all depends on whether Utah makes playoffs OR if two pac 12 teams make an Ny6 game. (For instance if Oregon wins they go to rose, Utah will most likely play in an NY6 like cotton.

If the above scenario happens, cal is a near mortal lock for redbox (unless holiday takes cal instead - unlikely).

Playoffs/cotton - Utah
Rose - Oregon
Alamo - usc
Holiday - probably UW
Redbox - cal

-
If Utah wins and does not make the playoffs, then it becomes a little more interesting.

Rose - Utah
Alamo - Oregon
Holiday - SC

Redbox would then choose between UW and cal. With both having the same record, and cal being the local team, I have to believe they will choose cal. The only way redbox doesn't take cal is because UW is the brand name and may get better ratings. But every other factor favors cal.

But if they don't take cal, then cal will fall to Vegas. Asu is a 6 hour drive to El Paso, sun will take asu. (Only way this doesn't happen is because asu went to sun in 2017 - don't see that as a big enough factor)

To summarize

Redbox 70%
Vegas - 15%
Holiday 10%
Sun 5%

dimitrig

Don't really care about the bowl itself, because I won't be able to travel to it.

What I care about is the opponent.

It should be an opponent that draws interest (Illinois sounds horrible) but also one we have a chance at beating. It does no good to get a premiere bowl and then get killed in it.

Who are our potential matchups in these bowls?

TheFiatLux
calftball said:

Please El Paso..
I want the Sun
I've always found something really sweet about the Sun Bowl and for me it represents a romanticized throw back to what bowl games should be. I like that it's New Year's eve in the afternoon. I get to many, El Paso isn't the dream locale for New Years Eve (or anything) but i like it.

Though not as much as in the past, the Sun Bowl still has some cache. Played in the afternoon on New Years Eve on CBS, it gets good exposure for casual fans and I think it would actually put a nice exclamation point on the season, and a win would give us - in a good way - dispropotionate momentum in the off-season. I think we'd be a "hot" team going into 2020.
bear2034
Red Box can select ASU, then we'd end up at Sun Bowl.
hanky1
Is there any scenario in which we can still make it to the rose bowl?
Cal88
calftball said:

Please El Paso..
I want the Sun
ducky23
oskirules said:

Why would redbox pick asu over cal?
Cal84
ducky23 said:

oskirules said:

It's not even clear to me why the Holiday Bowl would pick UW over Cal. Same record. Cal beat UW. Closer Cal proximity could foreseeably mean more tix sales....

A lot of moving parts. Hard to predict...
Deutsch
Often, the "sun" in Sun Bowl is in name only. Stadium carved into side of mountain and often very cold and overcast.
Rushinbear
Cal84 said:

ducky23 said:

oskirules said:

It's not even clear to me why the Holiday Bowl would pick UW over Cal. Same record. Cal beat UW. Closer Cal proximity could foreseeably mean more tix sales....

Two reasons: UW has a bigger name (don't shoot the messenger) and UW fans travel - more restaurant and hotel business. Just sayin'.
BerlinerBaer
Rushinbear said:

Cal84 said:

ducky23 said:

oskirules said:

Two reasons: UW has a bigger name (don't shoot the messenger) and UW fans travel - more restaurant and hotel business. Just sayin'.
Both schools have played in the Holiday Bowl in recent memory. The committee knows which fan base travels better. (I don't know honestly.)
BearSD
Not that it matters here because imo the Holiday will end up with USC ... the Holiday Bowl is basically run for the benefit of San Diego hotel owners. If they had a choice they would select the team who they think has fans most likely to buy the most hotel room nights.
510 Bear
BearSD said:

Not that it matters here because imo the Holiday will end up with USC ... the Holiday Bowl is basically run for the benefit of San Diego hotel owners. If they had a choice they would select the team who they think has fans most likely to buy the most hotel room nights.
But USC fans can daytrip down from LA without staying in a hotel room, unlike most UW and Cal fans....?
TouchedTheAxeIn82
510 Bear said:

But USC fans can daytrip down from LA without staying in a hotel room, unlike most UW and Cal fans....?

The Holiday Bowl is obligated to take SC if Utah doesn't make the CFP.
wifeisafurd
Deutsch said:

Often, the "sun" in Sun Bowl is in name only. Stadium carved into side of mountain and often very cold and overcast.
Been to the Sun Bowl, and it was a cold, lousy experience. Everyone used to go to Mexico to eat and party, but you can't do that anymore due to safety. Leaving you stuck in El Paso, which is a dump. Waited six hours to be seated because of the lack of decent restaurants. There is one one way into the stadium, which becomes grid- locked unless you arrive something like 3 hours early. We left on a tour bus 2 hours before the game and missed the first quarter. Just an overall cr@ppy experience. Rather stay home.
joe amos yaks
Las Vegas Mitsubishi

San Diego Holiday

Santa Clara Redbox

Phoenix Cheez-Its

San Antonio Alamo

El Paso Sun

... next year . . .

Rose

Chik-fil-A Peach

"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
wifeisafurd
joe amos yaks said:

Las Vegas Mitsubishi

San Diego Holiday

Santa Clara Redbox

Phoenix Cheez-Its

San Antonio Alamo

El Paso Sun

... next year . . .

Rose

Chik-fil-A Peach

I like Joe's post. Vegas baby!
Sebastabear
While I'd love Vega for selfish reasons. It's going to be Redbox.

On the bright side, better bowl and more practice time than Vegas. Cal will bring a lot of fans and should dominate the stadium giving us a good home game feel. And a win means we end the season on a nice little streak. Should set us up well for 2020. Time to really start making some noise in this conference.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
The Hungry Nuts Bowl was a smashing success. They definitely want Cal again. But...

Quote:

A representative of the Holiday Bowl attended the game. "Absolutely, we're following Cal," said Cherry Park, chairman of the Holiday Bowl selection committee said just before kickoff. "We're looking for a team on an upward trajectory." She also said the result of the game against UCLA would have an impact on whether Cal would be be selected.
BearSD
510 Bear said:

BearSD said:

LA people mini-vacation in SD all the time and spend a weekend or a few days here.

More importantly, the Pac-12 has a bowl selection rule that says bowls can't pass over Team A for Team B if Team A has at least two conference wins more than Team B. USC was 7-2 in conference. They have to be chosen ahead of every team other than Utah and Oregon.

That means the Holiday Bowl has to choose USC if they are still available, and they will be available unless both Utah and Oregon are in CFP games.
Cal84
>That means the Holiday Bowl has to choose USC if they are still available, and they will be available unless both Utah and Oregon are in CFP games.

I think it is more correct to say, "they (USC) will be available unless both Utah and Oregon are in CFP and/or NY6 games". It is entirely conceivable that Utah-CFP, Oregon-Rose, USC-Alamo and then Holiday has a selection between Cal, UW, WSU & ASU. This is indeed why the Holiday Bowl selection committee was watching Cal yesterday.

It should be noted that the most likely B1G opponent in the Holiday Bowl would be Iowa.
Eastern Oregon Bear
I just looked up some bowl projections. Over at ESPN, both guys have us in the Redbox Bowl against either Iowa or Indiana. Collegefootballnews has us in the Redbox Bowl against Iowa. Those were posted after yesterday's games. Over at CBS Sports, they have us playing Boston College in the Sun Bowl. I'm not sure when that projection was made.
510 Bear
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

I just looked up some bowl projections. Over at ESPN, both guys have us in the Redbox Bowl against either Iowa or Indiana. Collegefootballnews has us in the Redbox Bowl against Iowa. Those were posted after yesterday's games. Over at CBS Sports, they have us playing Boston College in the Sun Bowl. I'm not sure when that projection was made.
One of the ESPN guys has Redbox picking UW to face Indiana and us falling to the Vegas Bowl. He also has the 9-3 Hawkeyes going to one of the many B1G New Years' bowls - I'd assume that (as well as them not playing us) is a lock.

If we do get passed over by Redbox, I hope Wilcox uses that as a motivational chip for next season: "win 8-9 games so this doesn't happen again".
FuzzyWuzzy
510 Bear said:

One of the ESPN guys has Redbox picking UW to face Indiana and us falling to the Vegas Bowl. He also has the 9-3 Hawkeyes going to one of the many B1G New Years' bowls - I'd assume that (as well as them not playing us) is a lock.

If we do get passed over by Redbox, I hope Wilcox uses that as a motivational chip for next season: "win 8-9 games so this doesn't happen again".
Do our guys even want to play in the Redbox? Wouldn't they rather get on a plane and travel somewhere together, even if it's El Paso?

Also, going off topic here, but is Redbox still an actual viable business? Do those vending machines still exist? How much longer before that bowl is called the Salesforce bowl.
oskidunker
I rent dvds from one of their three locations when I am in Truckee . Not sure if they are still in Safeway in Bay Area. They cant be doing that well
Go Bears!
89Bear
FuzzyWuzzy said:

510 Bear said:

Do our guys even want to play in the Redbox? Wouldn't they rather get on a plane and travel somewhere together, even if it's El Paso?

Also, going off topic here, but is Redbox still an actual viable business? Do those vending machines still exist? How much longer before that bowl is called the Salesforce bowl.

I was wondering that same thing about the players and their preference. Wondering if the Mods can give some insight maybe based on players in the past? Do players prefer getting on a plane and going somewhere for a bowl?
ducky23
89Bear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

510 Bear said:

I was wondering that same thing about the players and their preference. Wondering if the Mods can give some insight maybe based on players in the past? Do players prefer getting on a plane and going somewhere for a bowl?

I think I can safely say the players wouldn't mind a trip to Vegas
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.