The Next Cal Offensive Coordinator

19,588 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calumnus
85Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
upsetof86 said:

Or we landed/held-onto a commitment?
Well, our recruiting guy tweeted this out tonight. Who could it be?

calumnus
heartofthebear said:

Cave Bear said:

Assuming Baldwin moves on, who's on your short wish list and why?

Mine:

1. Mike McDaniel, 49ers Run Game Coordinator
I love the Niners offense and it's a perfect fit for what our team should be doing. McDaniel is a young guy (36) and has been with Shanahan the last 5 seasons. He's already in the Bay Area so a job that doesn't force him to relocate may be attractive. McDaniel is from a Pac-12 state (Colorado) and has spent a total of 5 years coaching in CA. He went to a tough college (Yale) so he should be able to relate with academic high achievers. I don't know much about his personality; his entire coaching career has been in the pros. Solid NFL experience is a big plus in my book but recruiting would be something of a question mark (as would his desire to switch to college).

Getting McDaniel would be a huge coup as he's quite an up-and-comer. Other NFL teams may pull the trigger on him for OC and if so I can't imagine he would have any interest in us, but if no NFL OC gig materializes for him maybe he would like to get a head start on building/running an entire offense without any training wheels. Don't know what he makes right now, but I imagine if he was even interested we'd have to pony up. This is my ideal pick, but it's probably not realistic given how his coaching profile is so high now.

2. Kellen Moore, Cowboys Offensive Coordinator
Obviously Moore's current job is well above our pay grade, but that entire staff might be replaced this offseason and Moore might not land another NFL OC gig just yet (he's 31). Moore came of age in the Pac-12 neighborhood, born in WA and played at Boise.

3. Justin Peelle, Eagles Tight Ends Coach
Peelle has a short coaching resume, with his current job being his only coaching gig to date, but he had a long NFL playing career and has been with the Eagles as TE coach since 2013. Peelle was a stud TE at Oregon and had an outstanding academic record as a student (4x 1st Academic Team All-Pac-10 selection). Peelle played with Wilcox at Oregon so I imagine they would have good chemistry.

4. Bush Hamdan, Washington Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach
I love Chris Petersen's offenses and Hamdan has both coached and played for Petersen. Going from OC at UW to OC at Cal might look like a lateral move but like Zak Hill this would allow Hamdan to show his ability in building/running an offense without a great offensive HC looking over his shoulder. Pac-12 coaching experience at a successful program is a plus in my book.

5. Zak Hill, Boise State Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach
Boise's offense would be great for us and this would be a nice promotion for Hill, not only going to a P5 school but also getting out of Harsin's shadow. Hill was at EWU with Baldwin so he must be familiar with a lot of the concepts in our current offense, which figures to help ease the transition. Hill has 10 years experience as OC at EWU, Hawaii and BSU.

6. Jeff Horton, SDSU Offensive Coordinator/RB Coach/Assistant Head Coach
Few college OCs can lay claim to being better qualified to build a power offense. Horton has NFL experience as well as 9 years experience coaching in CA. Horton wouldn't look like a big splash hire, but he's the definition of a solid coach and we'd be hard pressed to do better if Wilcox was willing to run a more conventional power offense.

7. Ken Whisenhunt, Ex-Chargers Offensive Coordinator
Whisenhunt was fired as Chargers OC during this season. That wouldn't recommend him to many, but being fired from an NFL job is not damning in my book. The big leagues are tough, and Whisenhunt has proven his chops over 16 years serving as either HC or OC of an NFL team. Of course it's completely uncertain whether Whisenhunt would be at all interested in our job, but it couldn't hurt to see if he has any interest particularly if no NFL team expresses interest in him for OC.

edited to include Justin Peelle who I forgot in the original list
edited to replace Vigen with Whisenhunt

Regardless of who we go for we should do it this year. Baldwin's at the end of his contract IIRC and our offensive roster is more attractive than it has been since Dykes left.
We have a decent 2 deep good for 2 years.

Our offensive roster was much better and deeper at the beginning of 2017, but it is better now than it has been over the rest of the last three years.
movielover
Tui? Kevin Daft?

Daft went to Dartmouth, which was 4-6 the prior season, now is 26-4 his 3 years as OC. Knows academics, the UC & part of the Jim Sochor coaching tree. Belotti, Foster, Patterson, Hawkins, Peterson. West Coast ties.
Bear19
SFCityBear, I think the thread was triggered by reports of Baldwin going to Cal Poly, which obviously has now happened. Otherwise I'd agree with your post 100%.

BI forums are here just for this sort of speculation, venting, wishful thinking, and occasionally, some helpful information. (Many posters would say that my posts fall into the first group).

Most of the names in this thread are unrealistic imo. Wishful thinking run amok.

Hopefully Wilcox already has his OC picked and is pursuing him.
Rushinbear
Bear19 said:

SFCityBear, I think the thread was triggered by reports of Baldwin going to Cal Poly, which obviously has now happened. Otherwise I'd agree with your post 100%.

BI forums are here just for this sort of speculation, venting, wishful thinking, and occasionally, some helpful information. (Many posters would say that my posts fall into the first group).

Most of the names in this thread are unrealistic imo. Wishful thinking run amok.

Hopefully Wilcox already has his OC picked and is pursuing him.
Hopefully, JW has his OC picked out and that guy is pursuing JW.

Fantasy: they worked together several years ago when the guy was just getting started and got along great. JW has watched him advance and show his genius. They have chatted at conventions and such. The guy has seen BB struggle and thought, man, I could do a helluva lot better than that. The recruits and players love him.

I think a younger guy like that rather than an old hand. Energy, ideas, ambition. JW has gotten what he needed from BB and we still have the greybeard in Tim (and Steve, for that matter). This guy might move on, after much success here, but who doesn't?

Anybody out there fit that profile? Didn't think so, but at this point, the younger guy would be preferable. Christmas is coming, no?
gobears3000
https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/brian-smith/2194
Rushinbear
gobears3000 said:

Interesting. RBs rather than QBs, but otherwise...
calumnus
Rushinbear said:

gobears3000 said:

Interesting. RBs rather than QBs, but otherwise...

Pretty sure Hawaii HC Rolovich is the offensive genius.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.