Chris Petersen resigns

11,578 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Looperbear
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whoa.

NVBear78
Is it April 1???
AlmaSecreta
Wow indeed
Golden One
Surprising, but true.

Quote:

https://gohuskies.com/
B.A. Bearacus
Ends his career with two straight losses to Cal.
GoBears89
WOW!!! I hope he's not being lured for the SC job!
Strykur
We ended that man's career!
Looperbear
Can we poach some recruits? How about McMillan, WR from Fresno?

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/jalen-mcmillan-210900
B.A. Bearacus
GoBears89 said:

He said he wanted to take a break from head coaching to recharge. Given his character, he's not going to betray that stated rationale to coach another team right away.
burritos
***? Wow. How fast can we start poaching their recruits? Do we want Garbers part deux?
GoBears89
B.A. Bearacus said:

GoBears89 said:

He said he wanted to take a break from head coaching to recharge. Given his character, he's not going to betray that stated rationale to coach another team right away.
Other reports are now saying he will stay on at UW in an advisory role for the athletic dept. (whatever that means)...
tequila4kapp
Insta-promoting Jimmy Lake seems like a bit of a desperation or short sighted move. The guy has never been a HC before.
Rushinbear
tequila4kapp said:

Insta-promoting Jimmy Lake seems like a bit of a desperation or short sighted move. The guy has never been a HC before.
It was said to have been between him and JW for Cal. He's gonna do ok, altho you never want to follow a successful hc (Shaw has been the exception).
drizzlybears brother
Holy crap. Didn't see that coming.
Trumpanzee
Back to BSU as kicking coach.....
westcoast101
This is a shocker. Wow.
59bear
Stranger things have happened but not for quite a while. I guess it's wearing trying to stay ay/near the top. Makes the careers of guys like Saban, Bobby Bowden, Paterno, Bryant et al look all the more remarkable.He's been a class act his whole career.
BearsWiin
Cal may need to make some strong commitments to its own coaching staff in the days/weeks to come

Lake will come cheaper than Petersen, which may free up some funding to throw at the rest of their staff
510 Bear
tequila4kapp said:

And I didn't see the word "interim" in that press release. Makes me wonder what in the heck is going on up there.
CannonBlast
Wow....who saw that coming? Wonder why. Looks like it's amicable and he's staying at the university in a different role.
71Bear
BearSD said:

Whoa.

Sounds like Urban Meyer leaving Florida. Step away for a period of time and then return with a vengeance (in Meyer's case to Ohio State).
bipolarbear
510 Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

And I didn't see the word "interim" in that press release. Makes me wonder what in the heck is going on up there.
If you read their boards, they love Jimmy Lake up there.
LACalFan
510 Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

They almost lost Lake a few years ago. Maybe a succession plan was worked out to keep him.
ducky23
tequila4kapp said:

That was my first reaction as well.

I can see someone like cal taking a chance on a guy like Wilcox. But you would think Uw would at least see if they could get one of the top names (like fleck, etc).

This was probably petersen's desired successor and UW just decided to go with it, I guess
OneTopOneChickenApple
Probably a coaching burnout like Tedford. Expect UW to be especially pumped for their bowl game.
TheSouseFamily
TheSouseFamily
Cave Bear
Wow.
ColoradoBear
Quick trigger on that contract, unless those involved have known and been working on it for a bit of time now...

Two p12 titles and 3 total ny6 bowls in 6 years - and more than $20 million earned - for Petersen. If the guy wants to relax and not deal with delusional Huskies fans, he's more than earned it.

UW seems to have freed up money in this deal - if I'm them a throw well over a million at a top OC to get things started right. Get him in place before bowl practice to capitalize on the time. I suggest cutty sark!
GivemTheAxe
BearSD said:

Whoa.

Petersen is reputed to have said in private: "I can't believe that we lost to Cal twice in a row. Maybe once if it were an away game. But to lose at home to Cal is just too much to take. I might as well retire from coaching"
MilleniaBear
Yes on Garbers. And there are a number of guys decommitting because of coaching changes so time to recruit!
hanky1
This one was almost certainly planned out for a while. All the contract details etc are already finished for Lake and he's turned down several opportunities over the years to leave UW.
NYCGOBEARS
Ole Miss made him a deal he couldn't refuse!
ducky23
I wonder if cal had even a small hand in this?

Remember it looked like a done deal that lake was coming to cal (I forget the exact details). But then UW got him to stay. I wonder if part of that package was a promise that he would succeed if/when Petersen quit
hanky1
He may not be the last one. There have been rumors that Kyle Whittingham may retire soon as well.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.