Story Poster
Cal Football

Cal Signees Excited About Musgrave Hiring as Cal OC

January 7, 2020

The Bears ended weeks of suspense last week with the hiring of longtime veteran offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave. The former Oregon QB, was familiar to many Bay Area fans having played against Cal and also coaching on the San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders’ staffs but he was a new name to most of the incoming Cal players from the 2020 class.

After doing their homework, they were uniformly impressed and excited to glean the knowledge of an NFL veteran coach who’s had great success coaching up many of the league’s brightest stars over the past two decades.

“I can’t wait to learn from him,” said quarterback Jaden Casey‍, who played at Calabasas and will enroll for spring semester at Cal. “As an athlete and many of my teammates, having goals of succeeding in the NFL, there isn’t a better coach to learn from when he’s been coaching and been around the NFL for a long time. I think his resume speaks for itself.”

”I haven’t had the chance to get in touch with Coach Musgrave yet, but I am very excited about the opportunity to learn from a coach that has such a great reputation,” said fellow 2020 QB Zach Johnson‍. “I know that he has done great things with big name quarterbacks in the past. I’m looking forward to picking his brain and learning as much as possible.

“I’ve heard nothing but great things about Coach Musgrave,” said Bishop Amat running back Damien Moore‍. “I believe he’ll put us in the best matchups possible to be able to put up a lot of points on offense.”

“I think it’s exciting with someone of his caliber,” said JSerra running back Chris Street‍. “I didn’t really know him at first but I did some research and I’ve seen his lineage. So I’m sure he can spruce up the offense and make sure we play some Cal ball!” 

“I’m excited to learn from him,” said Austin Westlake receiver Mason Mangum‍, who will be a spring enrollee at Cal. “I think his resume speaks for itself. It’s going to be great to learn from someone with his experience.”

“I can’t wait to meet him and pick up his knowledge of the game,” said Central East receiver Jeremiah Hunter‍‍. “He has coached in the NFL so he has to have lots of knowledge so I can’t wait to learn from him.”

“I’m super pumped that they hired him,” said Chaparral receiver Tommy Christakos‍, a spring enrollee for Cal. “I cannot wait to be coached by someone with such experience in the NFL as he does. I am excited to see what we are going to be able to accomplish with him as our OC and have no doubt in my mind that he’ll be an excellent coach for our offense.”

“I am very excited about Coach Musgrave,” said Kennedy Catholic receiver Justin Baker. “Anytime you get an NFL coach to come down to college, that’s always a special thing. He has so much coaching experience, specifically as a coordinator. That paired with him coaching some great players -the one that comes to mind -Amari Cooper- I’ve tried to model parts of my game after. There is a sense of security in that. There is also a sense of wanting to perform well on my part just because Coach Musgrave knows what it takes to perform well and get to the next level. So he will be able to coach and correct us at an elite level. I am very excited to work with Coach and I am very excited for the direction of the offense as well as our entire team.”

“I haven’t gotten to meet with Coach Musgrave yet personally but I’m excited to see what he has to bring to the table with his offense and can’t wait to see how he uses the tight ends in different ways,” said Capistrano Valley tight end Jake Muller‍.

It won’t take long to find out what new twists are in store for the Cal offense, with spring ball less than two months away.

The incoming class currently stands at 25, though two more recruits and possibly another transfer or two could potentially arrive next fall.

Other stories:

Grading the 2019 Cal Defense

Moss Talks 2019 Season, New Cal OC and More

Discussion from...

Cal Signees Excited About Musgrave Hiring as Cal OC

13,552 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Callisto
burritos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very excited about the Coach Musgrave. Question, has there ever been a time where we haven't been excited about a new OC or DC joining Cal?
CalBearinLA
burritos said:

Very excited about the Coach Musgrave. Question, has there ever been a time where we haven't been excited about a new OC or DC joining Cal?
For me...Andy Buh.
510 Bear
If the recruits are excited, that's what counts most.
LACalFan
CalBearinLA said:

burritos said:

For me...Andy Buh.
Buh - Kaufman/Baldwin - Musgrave is an interesting comparison. Dykes was never able to get the defensive side figured out, and we all know that Wilcox has struggled with the opposite side. The O showed major signs of life last season and I'm thinking Musgrave completes the turnaround. Everything is in place to hit the ground running: experienced QB1 with solid back up options, deep RB group, experienced OL and most options we've had at WR and TE since Wilcox took over.

MoragaBear
Staff
burritos said:

Michalczik as OC, Ludwig, Dunbar, Cortez, Gregory and Buh come to mind. None much the excitement needle much with their hire as coordinators.
71Bear
burritos said:

Not really. Cal fans are the Charlie Brown of college football and the mystical forces that guide the game are the Lucy.

Cal fans are eternally optimistic the guys selected as coaches will transform the players into luminous stars who will lead the team to nirvana (aka: Pasadena).

Heck, there were some here who even huzzahed the arrival of Steve Marshall, a guy who had vagabond written all over him.

This is not to suggest Musgrave will be good or bad. Heck, none of us know at this point. It is to suggest that all fans take a swig of healthy skepticism before jumping in the pool.
82gradDLSdad
One of Holmoe's OC hires was a guy named Hagen. I happened to be at a party with a JC football coach who knew him and was absolutely dumbfounded by the hire. He said that the guy was a horrible coach. He was right. And I was unfortunately aware of how bad a hire this was before the guy ever coached a down.
Callisto
82gradDLSdad said:

One of Holmoe's OC hires was a guy named Hagen. I happened to be at a party with a JC football coach who knew him and was absolutely dumbfounded by the hire. He said that the guy was a horrible coach. He was right. And I was unfortunately aware of how bad a hire this was before the guy ever coached a down.
Hagen was not a war time consigliere.
Big C
71Bear said:

burritos said:

Not really. Cal fans are the Charlie Brown of college football and the mystical forces that guide the game are the Lucy.

Cal fans are eternally optimistic the guys selected as coaches will transform the players into luminous stars who will lead the team to nirvana (aka: Pasadena).

Heck, there were some here who even huzzahed the arrival of Steve Marshall, a guy who had vagabond written all over him.

This is not to suggest Musgrave will be good or bad. Heck, none of us know at this point. It is to suggest that all fans take a swig of healthy skepticism before jumping in the pool.
Totally agree. If memory serves, this board was even moderately optimistic when Andy Buh was hired. The universal disdain didn't come until we saw his product on the field.
LACalFan
Nah, I'm passing on the healthy skepticism and taking a swig of Kool-Aid
Rushinbear
71Bear said:

burritos said:

At least, Musgrave knows what he is doing. At least. That's the floor. We weren't sure about that in re others who passed through here.
burritos
MoragaBear said:

burritos said:

Michalczik as OC, Ludwig, Dunbar, Cortez, Gregory and Buh come to mind. None much the excitement needle much with their hire as coordinators.
Didn't Dunbar's offense absolutely crush it?
MoragaBear
Staff
burritos said:

MoragaBear said:

burritos said:

The question was about the excitement of the coordinator's hiring. Dunbar's hiring didn't move the needle much with a lot of people.
82gradDLSdad
Callisto said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Hagen was not a war time consigliere.
upsetof86
Honestly feels like forever since I've anticipated a new OC. Truth is it was Dykes first game vs NW that first drive at home the stadium including me was on it's feet cheering big play after big play then the fake FG for a TD. It was the anti stagnated Tedford drive. We lost the rest of that NW game but a catharsis that first drive was.

Ironically before that it was the opening Tedford era drive, flea flicker to David Gray for 71 yard TD.

How will Bill Musgrave open his era?
calumnus
burritos said:

MoragaBear said:

burritos said:

In 2005 we were #12 with 6.4 yards per play and 32.9 points per game. In 2006 under Dunbar we were #10 with the the same 6.4 yards per play and a slight decrease to 32.8 points per game.

So no improvement despite switching Longshore for Ayoob.

This is an offense with Marshawn Lynch, Desean Jackson, Justin Forsett, Lavelle Hawkins, Robert Jordan, Craig Stevens, Cameron Morrah, Will Tau'ufo'ou, Marcus O'Keith and OL like Alex Mack, Mike Gibson, Brian De LacPuente, Mike Tepper, Noris Malele, Chet Teofilo and a bunch of talented freshmen.

The bottom line is with a great OL, Marshawn Lynch, two great TEs, good FBs, Desean Jackson and a strong armed but immobile Longshore...it was the wrong time to go to shotgun spread. That was the perfect lineup for Longshore to be under center and pound the ball with Lynch (and Forsett) behind a FB/TEs mixed in with play action bombs to Desean Jackson and Hawkins in single coverage or to the TEs underneath.

Dunbar wasnt bad as much as a bad fit at that time and inflexible.

Still, Gregory's defense was the bigger disappointment, #85 in the country in yards surrendered per play (#91 in total yards) and #32 in scoring defense (evidence of bend don't break) despite guys like: Desmond Bishop, Daymeion Hughes, Zack Follet, Syd'Quan Thompson, Brandon Mebane, Tyson Alualu, Anthony Felder, Thomas Decoud, Bernard Hicks....
ducktilldeath
The last time anyone was excited about Bill was 1990, so I'm sure he's excited too.
Callisto
ducktilldeath said:

The last time anyone was excited about Bill was 1990, so I'm sure he's excited too.
Always fun to have the troll's point of view.

I suspect the Raiders were excited about him. Other than the Trojan Del Rio.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.