The early renewals seem to have backfired as evidenced by this email

14,237 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LMK5
Hail2Calif
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

Lol at this talk of "a few" Rose Bowls

I'll settle for at least one for now and we can take it from there.
As would I. The point I'm making is that even making a single Rose Bowl, as amazing, cathartic and mind-blowingly awesome as that would be, won't result in us selling enough ESP seats to fund Phase 3. It would literally take sustained winning on a level we haven't seen since the 1920's to create that kind of demand. And while I'd sacrifice almost anything to see that happen, I ain't holding my breath. Hence why I wouldn't go shorting any porta-potty stocks just yet.
I actually believe that if Cal makes a RB in the next few years there will be a significant number of Old Blues who reup for years to come if not endowments or trusts to fund season tickets.

Evidence for this goodwill is the enthusiasm of the Tedford years...as short as they were, having another regime about a decade later will demonstrate that winning is possible and will spur a level of giving we haven't seen before.

The enthusiasm at the RedBox Bowl was terrific...if the squad can build on the momentum, Cal will be known as a fan base that travels well, is gracious and passionate without pretentiousness.
I did hear there was a far amount of politicking over which team would get the RedBox Bowl and who would get a lesser bowl. Part of what sold it for Cal in the end was how well we travelled to Cheez-It and Ole Miss (to just take recent examples). Sometimes the fates help those who help themselves.
Even though the "Cal travels well" reputation may be true, it still makes me laugh. Perhaps I'm misremembering the history, but it seems to me that we were not known as noted travelers for the first 25-or-so years of my 41 years of fandom. In fact, it was the common wisdom for years that we couldn't sell tickets outside of California. I find this new regard for our fan base astonishing to the point of laughter. Let's keep it up and I'll laugh all the way to Pasadena and beyond. Roll On You Bears!
We've done a real good job traveling to our OOC opponents in recent years. Attendance at North Carolina and even BYU was very solid. And the Cheez-It, Ole Miss and Texas numbers were spectacular. RedBox was also spectacular but that wasn't really "traveling" for most of us. I think it's the offshoot of having a large affluent fan base with a team that has been on the cusp of being great a few times over the last 30 years but never managed to break all the way through. We're so hungry for a great season it's palpable.
I'm really hoping that not only do we sell out our 5,000 ticket allotment at ND, but that we truly make it a hot ticket on the secondary market, offering enough to persuade a significant number of ND faithful to give up their seats for the day.

As someone who spends a lot of time in Indiana on business (including working with several well off Notre Dame alum), I would be shocked it we didn't sell out our 5000 ticket allotment in a heartbeat (assuming our program trajectory is where we think it will be - and we're coming off back to back 9-10 win seasons).

I think a lot of Cal fans will be happy to pay a lot more for a "bucket list" game than most Notre Dame fans would for a "middle or the road name P5 school" home game - and plenty will be more than happy to part with their tickets for the prices Cal fans would likely pay.

Not saying a lot of their fans couldn't afford it (I mean they do pretty much sell out every game, right?) - just that demand for Cal tickets in 2022 will likely far outpace Stanford tickets and many will see it as an opportunity to get premium top dollars on the re-sale market while still getting in their Pac-12 fix.

I imagine we'll get the same response I saw at Ole Miss and Texas - with local fans surprised at how many Cal fans travelled.

I bought secondary seats to both those games, and home fans at both stadiums sitting around me commented, during the game, on how surprised they were to see/hear the number of Cal fans in attendance.

I expect Notre Dame will be one of the all-time highs for Cal/visitor attendance (again, assuming the trajectory of the program holds as many of us expect)

5000 plus a lot of Cal fans buying on secondary market. Will just be harder to see visually because Notre Dame's colors are similar enough to Cal's to blend in - but everyone will hear us - especially (as I agree with Seabas) at the end of the game when Moss is kneeling out of Victory formation
LMK5
Sebastabear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

As would I. The point I'm making is that even making a single Rose Bowl, as amazing, cathartic and mind-blowingly awesome as that would be, won't result in us selling enough ESP seats to fund Phase 3. It would literally take sustained winning on a level we haven't seen since the 1920's to create that kind of demand. And while I'd sacrifice almost anything to see that happen, I ain't holding my breath. Hence why I wouldn't go shorting any porta-potty stocks just yet.
I actually believe that if Cal makes a RB in the next few years there will be a significant number of Old Blues who reup for years to come if not endowments or trusts to fund season tickets.

Evidence for this goodwill is the enthusiasm of the Tedford years...as short as they were, having another regime about a decade later will demonstrate that winning is possible and will spur a level of giving we haven't seen before.

The enthusiasm at the RedBox Bowl was terrific...if the squad can build on the momentum, Cal will be known as a fan base that travels well, is gracious and passionate without pretentiousness.
I did hear there was a far amount of politicking over which team would get the RedBox Bowl and who would get a lesser bowl. Part of what sold it for Cal in the end was how well we travelled to Cheez-It and Ole Miss (to just take recent examples). Sometimes the fates help those who help themselves.
Even though the "Cal travels well" reputation may be true, it still makes me laugh. Perhaps I'm misremembering the history, but it seems to me that we were not known as noted travelers for the first 25-or-so years of my 41 years of fandom. In fact, it was the common wisdom for years that we couldn't sell tickets outside of California. I find this new regard for our fan base astonishing to the point of laughter. Let's keep it up and I'll laugh all the way to Pasadena and beyond. Roll On You Bears!
We've done a real good job traveling to our OOC opponents in recent years. Attendance at North Carolina and even BYU was very solid. And the Cheez-It, Ole Miss and Texas numbers were spectacular. RedBox was also spectacular but that wasn't really "traveling" for most of us. I think it's the offshoot of having a large affluent fan base with a team that has been on the cusp of being great a few times over the last 30 years but never managed to break all the way through. We're so hungry for a great season it's palpable.
What was the general opinion from Cal and others on Redbox Bowl attendance? Did it meet projections?
Fyght4Cal
Hail2Calif said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

I'm really hoping that not only do we sell out our 5,000 ticket allotment at ND, but that we truly make it a hot ticket on the secondary market, offering enough to persuade a significant number of ND faithful to give up their seats for the day.

As someone who spends a lot of time in Indiana on business (including working with several well off Notre Dame alum), I would be shocked it we didn't sell out our 5000 ticket allotment in a heartbeat (assuming our program trajectory is where we think it will be - and we're coming off back to back 9-10 win seasons).

I think a lot of Cal fans will be happy to pay a lot more for a "bucket list" game than most Notre Dame fans would for a "middle or the road name P5 school" home game - and plenty will be more than happy to part with their tickets for the prices Cal fans would likely pay.

Not saying a lot of their fans couldn't afford it (I mean they do pretty much sell out every game, right?) - just that demand for Cal tickets in 2022 will likely far outpace Stanford tickets and many will see it as an opportunity to get premium top dollars on the re-sale market while still getting in their Pac-12 fix.

I imagine we'll get the same response I saw at Ole Miss and Texas - with local fans surprised at how many Cal fans travelled.

I bought secondary seats to both those games, and home fans at both stadiums sitting around me commented, during the game, on how surprised they were to see/hear the number of Cal fans in attendance.

I expect Notre Dame will be one of the all-time highs for Cal/visitor attendance (again, assuming the trajectory of the program holds as many of us expect)

5000 plus a lot of Cal fans buying on secondary market. Will just be harder to see visually because Notre Dame's colors are similar enough to Cal's to blend in - but everyone will hear us - especially (as I agree with Seabas) at the end of the game when Moss is kneeling out of Victory formation
Thanks for the reply. Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

You're right about the colors. If I'm the AD, I'm running a marketing campaign to convince Cal fans to wear the same road color as the team wears that day - either white or (my favorite) gold. The bright color will contrast well against the ND blue & green, plus illuminate how well Cal travels, both in the stadium and on TV.

I'm also going to urge the AD to get the full, uniformed Cal Band there, along with the Mic Men, Rally Comm, Dance, & Cheer. So many Catholic/private school athletes across America follow Notre Dame, it's a great recruiting opportunity. We need to treat this like a bowl game and pull out all the stops to market California Football & Golden Bear Athletics.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
MSaviolives
Email today from Cal Football:

Quote:

Cal Family,

Thank you for your energy and support during the 2019 Football Season!

Because of your support, we're proud to announce we finished with the highest renewal rate in the past eight (8) years! We can't wait to see you again at California Memorial Stadium for the 2020 season when we kick off against TCU on September 5th.

Please stay tuned for announcements regarding the season ticket member exclusive Spring Football Practice, as well as the annual seat upgrade event.

Thank you again Cal Family!
Fyght4Cal
LMK5 said:

Sebastabear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

What was the general opinion from Cal and others on Redbox Bowl attendance? Did it meet projections?
All I can say is that AD Jim Knowlton was over the moon when we chatted at the Redbox Bowl. He told me that the demand for the tailgate was so high that he was sorry they had to cutoff sales at 1200. As we know, the Chancellor was there. But Jim was ecstatic about the turnout of Deans and professors, whom he'd rarely, if ever, seen at Memorial. Jim strikes me as a very even-keeled guy, but he was positively giddy that day.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Big C
Hail2Calif said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

There is certainly a hunger out there for winning California Football.
LMK5
Fyght4Cal said:

LMK5 said:

Sebastabear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

All I can say is that AD Jim Knowlton was over the moon when we chatted at the Redbox Bowl. He told me that the demand for the tailgate was so high that he was sorry they had to cutoff sales at 1200. As we know, the Chancellor was there. But Jim was ecstatic about the turnout of Deans and professors, whom he'd rarely, if ever, seen at Memorial. Jim strikes me as a very even-keeled guy, but he was positively giddy that day.
That's great to hear.
Sebastabear
LMK5 said:

Sebastabear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

I just got this qualitatively. We definitely sold all our tickets. A ton of Cal fans bought on the secondary market. I was told by Knowlton our showing was "great" and we were very pleased but to be honest it would have been surprising if he'd said anything different than that. I think the main take away is that the politicking involved us representing to RedBox l that Cal fans would show up en masse for the game (in a way no other school would given the proximity) and we more than delivered.
ColoradoBear
Sebastabear said:

LMK5 said:

Sebastabear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

I just got this qualitatively. We definitely sold all our tickets. A ton of Cal fans bought on the secondary market. I was told by Knowlton our showing was "great" and we were very pleased but to be honest it would have been surprising if he'd said anything different than that. I think the main take away is that the politicking involved us representing to RedBox l that Cal fans would show up en masse for the game (in a way no other school would given the proximity) and we more than delivered.

My impression (as one who bought on the 50 yardline thought the secondary market) was that prices actually went up between when I bought and gameday - which indicates that there were not enough tickets available.

It was quite amazing as seats for the sugar bowl were $6 on StubHub, while the Redbox was $30-40 for the minget in cost on gameday. Either intentionally or not, Levis did not open up large swaths of the 200's level meaning that they were not even offering up the capacity of 44k seats to buy.

The thing about tickets is whether the extra seats would have meant a flooded market and less profit for the bowl. Hmmm.
LMK5
ColoradoBear said:

Sebastabear said:

LMK5 said:

Sebastabear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

My impression (as one who bought on the 50 yardline thought the secondary market) was that prices actually went up between when I bought and gameday - which indicates that there were not enough tickets available.

It was quite amazing as seats for the sugar bowl were $6 on StubHub, while the Redbox was $30-40 for the minget in cost on gameday. Either intentionally or not, Levis did not open up large swaths of the 200's level meaning that they were not even offering up the capacity of 44k seats to buy.

The thing about tickets is whether the extra seats would have meant a flooded market and less profit for the bowl. Hmmm.
I noticed the same thing. Prices seemed to be inching up on the Cal side as gameday approached. They opened a few 200 level sections on the Cal side, but didn't open up any 200 level seats on the Illinois side. I think the Bowl plays a delicate balance between offering the right amount of seats based on projected demand and ensuring they get the highest price possible. I paid more for my ticket ($125) than I have for any sporting event I've ever attended, by far. It was worth it for the "W."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.