The early renewals seem to have backfired as evidenced by this email

14,308 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LMK5
Big Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong been in Egypt too long. He no know how it work these days. Would a strong poster inform Cal Strong if it still possible to get pretty good seats right before game for $20 from some guy on corner of Bancroft and Piedmont?

If so, why would anyone buy into this weak system? Strong fans should wait to see what time games start and to double check to make sure they won't be in Egypt or Australia. Once they know for sure they can be there, then strong bears can buy from scalpers.

If the point of weak game times which are only announced at the very last minute is that tv revenue is stronger than ticket sales and fan experience, then can we please start giving free tickets to all current Cal students and $10 tickets to young alumni? Cal Strong would like to see Memorial full. And it hard for students who need to schedule work shifts to commit to season tickets when they no know when the games will start.
When I played HS ball in the Bay Area, our coach used to get Cal passes where we could buy a game day ticket for $1.00. Great way to build interest in the local schools. And cheap way to feel seats at the last minute. Sure, too young to buy beer, but still bought hot dogs and cokes and cheered for the home team.
oskidunker
  • So according to Cal Season Ticket " Deposits" is at a record high, which is good. No mention of what the existing renewal ratio is .would be interesting to know.
Go Bears!
BearGreg
Staff
Sebastabear
BearGreg said:

By point of comparison for those interested, we have been in the high 70s on renewals at this time of the year for the last several years. Am also told we have a few hundred new accounts translating into a bit over a thousand additional seats for next year sold already. Lot of enthusiasm for the team and the schedule in 2020. Should be great.
LunchTime
Sebastabear said:

BearGreg said:

By point of comparison for those interested, we have been in the high 70s on renewals at this time of the year for the last several years. Am also told we have a few hundred new accounts translating into a bit over a thousand additional seats for next year sold already. Lot of enthusiasm for the team and the schedule in 2020. Should be great.

What is last several years?

Attendance is growing under Wilcox, is that not reflected by early renewals?

Also how does this translate to season ticket packages, total for seasons? Are we getting better early numbers because of a shrinking to the diehard group or are later buyers growing and then renewing earlier?

I ask because I have been pretty vocal about Wilcox being the first coach since 2006 to grow attendance, but in fairness, he started from pretty damn low, like Tedford.

90% could be pretty rough, or great.

I haven't been this interested in Cal football since the mid '00s.
Sebastabear
LunchTime said:

Sebastabear said:

BearGreg said:

Also how does this translate to season ticket packages, total for seasons? Are we getting better early numbers because of a shrinking to the diehard group or are later buyers growing and then renewing earlier?

I ask because I have been pretty vocal about Wilcox being the first coach since 2006 to grow attendance, but in fairness, he started from pretty damn low, like Tedford.

All good questions but unfortunately I don't know any of these answers. For what it's worth the impression I was giving was that this was a very positive development for Cal and things were going even better than they'd hoped. I think your enthusiasm is pretty widely shared.
oskidunker
90% is pretty good.
Go Bears!
LMK5
I think Cal must find a way to get Cal people to the games. There are no less than 31k undergrads on campus, plus faculty and staff. What percentage of these groups is going to the games? It must be tragically low. There are 7000 freshman within walking distance of CMS at all times. How do you get these people energized to see their school compete in a sport and venue with such a rich tradition? Throw the Cal Band in there and my goodness how do you NOT go? What the hell else are you doing while your guys fight it out on the gridiron?

Their friends at UCSD, UCSB, UCI, and the rest don't get to have this experience. There is nothing like college football and these kids need to understand they'll never get a crack at this again.
Bobodeluxe
Kids these days. All they think about is their uncertain futures.
LMK5
Bobodeluxe said:

Kids these days. All they think about is their uncertain futures.
Cal kids' futures are no more uncertain than any other student body. Lots of student support at tons of other schools with far less opportunity than Cal kids have.
oskidunker
LunchTime said:

Sebastabear said:

BearGreg said:

If we assume 35,000 season ticket holders then 10% not renewing means down 3,500. Not sure if that is seats or accounts but it is a guess as to seats. If 200 put deposits down and Calmis estimating over 1,000 seats that means each person buys 5 seats. Given all these guesses,seats down might be be 2,500, which is an overall loss.

Does this make any sense?
Go Bears!
LMK5
oskidunker said:

LunchTime said:

Sebastabear said:

BearGreg said:

If we assume 35,000 season ticket holders then 10% not renewing means down 3,500. Not sure if that is seats or accounts but it is a guess as to seats. If 200 put deposits down and Calmis estimating over 1,000 seats that means each person buys 5 seats. Given all these guesses,seats down might be be 2,500, which is an overall loss.

Does anyone know how many season ticket holders there are?
LunchTime
oskidunker said:

LunchTime said:

Sebastabear said:

BearGreg said:

I am more curious about the 70%.

If Cal doesnt renew 30% of season ticket holders early, previously, but is still growing attendance y/y then is it because they renew late, or turnover, or single game buying, etc?

So lets say:
1000 season tickets @ 70% early
- 700 season tickets renewed and none sold after, then
700 season tickets @ 90% early
- 630 season tickets renewed

Thats bad. That would tell me that the people who are left are diehards, right? In this extreme, 90% is pretty terrible.

BUT, we know attendance is on the way up:
1000 season tickets @ 70% early
- 700 season tickets renewed and 500 sold after then
1,300 season tickets @ 90% early
- 1,170 season tickets renewed with ? sold after

Thats a lot better, even "great." That would tell a much different story about the product being sold.

Thats why I asked more about the numbers and the phrase "last several years." I suspect that attendance will continue to grow under Wilcox, so my guess is that after-early-renewal sales are much stronger y/y than the early-renewal numbers show, and then 90% would be absurdly good.
75bear
To get a true sense, we would have to control for the upcoming even year home schedule which has great games vs. the odd year home schedule which sucks donkey balls. I imagine there's a bit of a ping pong effect year to year in addition to all of the other factors.

All this said, I think Wilcox currently has the program at a solid level and I wouldn't be surprised to see a bump in sales even accounting for the even-odd schedule dichotomy.
MoragaBear
Staff
The season ticket renewal rate of 90% is the highest it's been since at least the stadium remodel in 2012.

For comparison, the national season ticket renewal average is close to 80% than 90.

For obvious reasons, 100% renewals never occur because people age out or pass away, move, etc.

What will be interesting is where total season ticket sales end up before the start of the season. New season ticket holders don't really have incentive to buy season tickets this early so their buying period is much more fluid. There will also be some of the 10% who didn't renew in January who will renew later when they know their travel plans, get more excited for the team's prospects, are better able to financially pay for it, etc.
LunchTime
75bear said:

To get a true sense, we would have to control for the upcoming even year home schedule which has great games vs. the odd year home schedule which sucks donkey balls. I imagine there's a bit of a ping pong effect year to year in addition to all of the other factors.

All this said, I think Wilcox currently has the program at a solid level and I wouldn't be surprised to see a bump in sales even accounting for the even-odd schedule dichotomy.
There is.

Typically I control for the "seasonality" of scheduling when I look at attendance.

It also matters if your "A" OOC is a home game with Ohio State or Tennessee vs North Texas or Nevada, so that gets smoothed out.

Dykes attendance didnt strictly shrink y/y, because it would bump up every other year, but controlling for that, you get him dropping people off every year, for example.
LunchTime
MoragaBear said:

The season ticket renewal rate of 90% is the highest it's been since at least the stadium remodel in 2012.

For comparison, the national season ticket renewal average is close to 80% than 90.

For obvious reasons, 100% renewals never occur because people age out or pass away, move, etc.

What will be interesting is where total season ticket sales end up before the start of the season. New season ticket holders don't really have incentive to buy season tickets this early so their buying period is much more fluid. There will also be some of the 10% who didn't renew in January who will renew later when they know their travel plans, get more excited for the team's prospects, are better able to financially pay for it, etc.
How many of the 30% that sabasta used as an example renew late?

FWIW, I think its notable that Wilcox is growing attendance, not just for Wilcox as a program builder, but vs the national downward trend of attendance.
Bobodeluxe
75bear said:

A couple of years ago, Stanford wanted to switch odd for even, but the Golden Bear Clown Force made that idea a "surrender to the dark side" issue. Good job.
oskidunker
It could still be done
Go Bears!
71Bear
MoragaBear said:

I thought aging out was the same as passing away...
71Bear
oskidunker said:

LunchTime said:

Sebastabear said:

BearGreg said:

Season tickets reached their recent zenith at 35K-40K in the Tedford era. More recently, (based upon announced attendance at games), I would guess season ticket sales are in the 20K-25K range. There should be an uptick this season.
oskidunker
71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

I thought aging out was the same as passing away...
as you get older sometimes the night games, the in game experience and the short notice start times could cause you to feel you are too old to jump through all the hoops, especially since every game is televised.
Go Bears!
Oski87
Not sure how many season tickets we had in 2006. But we averaged 64,318 per game at Memorial, selling out three times. Our lowest attendance that year was 55K with Minnesota coming to the season home opener a week after we got blown out by Tennessee on the road.

We also played with 106K at Tennessee and 93K at the Coliseum that year.

I think we had about 45K season tickets that year. That was the season that got our new stadium built.
oskidunker
Cal will just hype the renewals and never really give us a bottom line. Maybe we are not entitled to it.I non renewed after 50 years mainly because of the price in the bench backs with night games a close second. Winning never was a factor. Will buy single game to tickets to non night games.
Go Bears!
LMK5
Oski87 said:

Not sure how many season tickets we had in 2006. But we averaged 64,318 per game at Memorial, selling out three times. Our lowest attendance that year was 55K with Minnesota coming to the season home opener a week after we got blown out by Tennessee on the road.

I think we had about 45K season tickets that year. That was the season that got our new stadium built.
Speaking of the stadium remodel, I read that there was a phase planned that would have added bathrooms, concessions, etc. to the east side, but was later postponed indefinitely. Does anyone know whether that will ever become a reality?
Sebastabear
LMK5 said:

Oski87 said:

Speaking of the stadium remodel, I read that there was a phase planned that would have added bathrooms, concessions, etc. to the east side, but was later postponed indefinitely. Does anyone know whether that will ever become a reality?
Given the huge outstanding debt for phase 1 of the stadium remodel (technically phase 2 - Simpson Center was phase 1), there's no way this gets going until they sell out all of ESP. And as a reminder the approximate sales percentage for University Club, Stadium Club and Field Club were 40%, 50% and 60%, respectively. Now if JW can get us to a few Rose Bowls (and all that would mean for ticket sales) then I think you'll see us finally fixing the East Side. But barring that, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Golden One
LMK5 said:

Get used to the porta cans, because the permanent restrooms and concession stands aren't happening in our lifetimes, unless Cal gets to a few Rose Bowls and attendance at Memorial routinely reaches capacity.
MoragaBear
Staff
Lol at this talk of "a few" Rose Bowls

I'll settle for at least one for now and we can take it from there.
Sebastabear
MoragaBear said:

As would I. The point I'm making is that even making a single Rose Bowl, as amazing, cathartic and mind-blowingly awesome as that would be, won't result in us selling enough ESP seats to fund Phase 3. It would literally take sustained winning on a level we haven't seen since the 1920's to create that kind of demand. And while I'd sacrifice almost anything to see that happen, I ain't holding my breath. Hence why I wouldn't go shorting any porta-potty stocks just yet.
91Cal
Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

As would I. The point I'm making is that even making a single Rose Bowl, as amazing, cathartic and mind-blowingly awesome as that would be, won't result in us selling enough ESP seats to fund Phase 3. It would literally take sustained winning on a level we haven't seen since the 1920's to create that kind of demand. And while I'd sacrifice almost anything to see that happen, I ain't holding my breath. Hence why I wouldn't go shorting any porta-potty stocks just yet.
I actually believe that if Cal makes a RB in the next few years there will be a significant number of Old Blues who reup for years to come if not endowments or trusts to fund season tickets.

Evidence for this goodwill is the enthusiasm of the Tedford years...as short as they were, having another regime about a decade later will demonstrate that winning is possible and will spur a level of giving we haven't seen before.

The enthusiasm at the RedBox Bowl was terrific...if the squad can build on the momentum, Cal will be known as a fan base that travels well, is gracious and passionate without pretentiousness.
Fyght4Cal
91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

I actually believe that if Cal makes a RB in the next few years there will be a significant number of Old Blues who reup for years to come if not endowments or trusts to fund season tickets.

Evidence for this goodwill is the enthusiasm of the Tedford years...as short as they were, having another regime about a decade later will demonstrate that winning is possible and will spur a level of giving we haven't seen before.

The enthusiasm at the RedBox Bowl was terrific...if the squad can build on the momentum, Cal will be known as a fan base that travels well, is gracious and passionate without pretentiousness.
The pent-up enthusiasm for a Cal Rose Bowl is vast and deep. Clearly, the $ that alums & others would lavish on athletics and the campus in the wake of a Rose Bowl appearance would be significant. However, it will take sustained elite-level success to overcome those stats on ESP seats.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Sebastabear
91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

I did hear there was a far amount of politicking over which team would get the RedBox Bowl and who would get a lesser bowl. Part of what sold it for Cal in the end was how well we travelled to Cheez-It and Ole Miss (to just take recent examples). Sometimes the fates help those who help themselves.
Fyght4Cal
Sebastabear said:

91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

I did hear there was a far amount of politicking over which team would get the RedBox Bowl and who would get a lesser bowl. Part of what sold it for Cal in the end was how well we travelled to Cheez-It and Ole Miss (to just take recent examples). Sometimes the fates help those who help themselves.
Even though the "Cal travels well" reputation may be true, it still makes me laugh. Perhaps I'm misremembering the history, but it seems to me that we were not known as noted travelers for the first 25-or-so years of my 41 years of fandom. In fact, it was the common wisdom for years that we couldn't sell tickets outside of California. I find this new regard for our fan base astonishing to the point of laughter. Let's keep it up and I'll laugh all the way to Pasadena and beyond. Roll On You Bears!
Sebastabear
Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

Even though the "Cal travels well" reputation may be true, it still makes me laugh. Perhaps I'm misremembering the history, but it seems to me that we were not known as noted travelers for the first 25-or-so years of my 41 years of fandom. In fact, it was the common wisdom for years that we couldn't sell tickets outside of California. I find this new regard for our fan base astonishing to the point of laughter. Let's keep it up and I'll laugh all the way to Pasadena and beyond. Roll On You Bears!
We've done a real good job traveling to our OOC opponents in recent years. Attendance at North Carolina and even BYU was very solid. And the Cheez-It, Ole Miss and Texas numbers were spectacular. RedBox was also spectacular but that wasn't really "traveling" for most of us. I think it's the offshoot of having a large affluent fan base with a team that has been on the cusp of being great a few times over the last 30 years but never managed to break all the way through. We're so hungry for a great season it's palpable.
Fyght4Cal
Sebastabear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

91Cal said:

Sebastabear said:

MoragaBear said:

We've done a real good job traveling to our OOC opponents in recent years. Attendance at North Carolina and even BYU was very solid. And the Cheez-It, Ole Miss and Texas numbers were spectacular. RedBox was also spectacular but that wasn't really "traveling" for most of us. I think it's the offshoot of having a large affluent fan base with a team that has been on the cusp of being great a few times over the last 30 years but never managed to break all the way through. We're so hungry for a great season it's palpable.
I'm really hoping that not only do we sell out our 5,000 ticket allotment at ND, but that we truly make it a hot ticket on the secondary market, offering enough to persuade a significant number of ND faithful to give up their seats for the day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.