Story Poster
Photo by calbears.com
Cal Football

Cal To Play At Notre Dame In 2022

January 27, 2020

BERKELEY – Cal and Notre Dame have agreed to play each other on Sept. 17, 2022, at Notre Dame Stadium, the first meeting between the schools in 55 years.

"We are looking forward to visiting Notre Dame, and I know that many of our fans will, too," Director of Athletics Jim Knowlton said. "Notre Dame Stadium is an iconic venue, and this game provides another opportunity for our alumni to support their Bears on the road. We saw a great turnout for our game at Ole Miss this past season and again at the Redbox Bowl in Santa Clara. I expect we'll have another large contingent follow us to Notre Dame for this exciting contest."

"Our players and coaches look forward to playing in an iconic stadium and competing against a college football program with the rich tradition and history of Notre Dame," Cal head coach Justin Wilcox added. "Notre Dame Stadium has been home to some of college football's biggest games and greatest moments, and we are excited to give everyone involved with Cal football the opportunity to experience such a renowned place in our sport's history."

The one-game agreement will mark the fifth all-time contest in the series, with the most recent game being a 41-8 home victory for the No. 1 Fighting Irish on Sept. 23, 1967. Notre Dame was also a 28-6 winner in the first-ever game between the teams in Berkeley in 1959, while the Fighting Irish prevailed at Notre Dame Stadium in a 21-7 decision during the 1960 season and won, 48-6, at California Memorial Stadium in 1965.

Cal finished the 2019 season with an 8-5 overall record and won four of five games to close out the year including victories at Stanford and UCLA, and vs. Illinois in the Redbox Bowl. The Golden Bears have improved their record in each of the last two seasons under Wilcox and tied for second in the Pac-12 North last year for their highest finish since the Pac-12 split into North and South divisions in 2011.

Ticket information for the game at Notre Dame will be announced at a later date. For information on 2020 season tickets or placing a deposit for Cal football membership, visit calbea.rs/20fbtickets, or call (800) GO BEARS (462-3277) and press 3 to contact a Gold Standard service representative.

Additional updates to Cal's future non-conference schedules are expected to be announced in the near future.

Cal-Notre Dame Series History
Oct. 10, 1959 – Notre Dame 28, at Cal 6
Sept. 24, 1960 – at Notre Dame 21, Cal 7
Sept. 18, 1965 – No. 3 Notre Dame 48, at Cal 6
Sept. 23, 1967 – at No. 1 Notre Dame 41, Cal 8

Discussion from...

Cal To Play At Notre Dame In 2022

23,774 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearlyCareAnymore
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pasadenaorbust said:

Maybe have to be there for this, too...would give you chills a bit I think...

Beating Notre Dame would make the day perfect...
Seriously, if starting at 1:56 that doesn't give you chills... well...
pasadenaorbust
A little history on Touchdown Jesus...

I think there's somewhere in the Book of Luke where the Lord finishes one of his sermons to the apostles with "Go Bears!"...but have to check on that.
mbBear
01Bear said:

mbBear said:

I will defer on the Reagan reference, but N. Dame still got lucky being the focus of a major motion picture.
I certainly wasn't bringing up his politics-has nothing to do with N. Dame.

Sorry for the digression. I really agreed with your main points. I was just speaking to a minor factual point that really had no bearing on your position. My bad.
Nah, all good. Some of my "main points" were a bit snarky, and over the top-I get the N. Dame allure but really am tired of it. Again, to their credit, they have maintained the message over decades, and did the "well, we need to see if you can academically cut it here before making your scholarship actionable" long before Furd did it.
mbBear
pasadenaorbust said:

A little history on Touchdown Jesus...

I think there's somewhere in the Book of Luke where the Lord finishes one of his sermons to the apostles with "Go Bears!"...but have to check on that.
The Old Testament is very clear about having to wear blue. In Numbers...
Calcoholic
When was the last time Cal played a "buy game" as the "bought" team--i.e. got paid to play a one-off game in another team's stadium without a return trip by the other team? Sincere question; not trying to make a point. I can't think of the last time.
UrsaMajor
tequila4kapp said:

My gosh, what a bunch of complainers. Okay, what we know right now isn't perfect. Well **** us all, the world is coming to an end.

Reality check - we'd have 25k in the stands for that crappy home game (even though they'd say it was 38k) and people would ***** that our home schedule sucked because of it. This increases our exposure and gives us something else to sell in recruiting. And not for nothing but ND hasn't exactly been ND for a while. We may well just go to South Bend and kick their asses. Finally, making these kinds of changes to our schedule seems like a sign that JT is here for the long haul, which is a great thing.
I hope you meant JW. (JT is at Fresno)
01Bear
mbBear said:

01Bear said:

mbBear said:

I will defer on the Reagan reference, but N. Dame still got lucky being the focus of a major motion picture.
I certainly wasn't bringing up his politics-has nothing to do with N. Dame.

Sorry for the digression. I really agreed with your main points. I was just speaking to a minor factual point that really had no bearing on your position. My bad.
Nah, all good. Some of my "main points" were a bit snarky, and over the top-I get the N. Dame allure but really am tired of it. Again, to their credit, they have maintained the message over decades, and did the "well, we need to see if you can academically cut it here before making your scholarship actionable" long before Furd did it.

I agreed with the snark. Heck, I loved that snark!
ColoradoBear
Calcoholic said:

When was the last time Cal played a "buy game" as the "bought" team--i.e. got paid to play a one-off game in another team's stadium without a return trip by the other team? Sincere question; not trying to make a point. I can't think of the last time.
Cal played @ Florida in 1974 and 1980 with no return. Not sure the finances then allowed for 'buy' games, but I sure hope they paid Cal's airfare at least.

Cal played @ BC in 1986 - maybe that was supposed to be a home and home that got cancelled?

@ Arkansas in 1971
@ Alabama in 1973
@ Georgia in 1976, 1981
@ Nebraska in 1978
@ Oklahoma 1976
heartofthebear
Hey, while Notre Dame may not be special in any objective sense, the game may help us a bit with recruiting, and that makes them special subjectively.
Or will it help recruiting?
Can't hurt, right?
Hei Bei
heartofthebear said:

Hey, while Notre Dame may not be special in any objective sense, the game may help us a bit with recruiting, and that makes them special subjectively.
Can't hurt, right?
Unless we win the game, it's hard to see how it's a big recruiting boon. I don't think Indiana is a particularly talent-rich state for football and the game is early enough in the year that it's probably not going to get an unusual amount of attention other than the usual amount of attention that any Notre Dame gets.

If we win the game, then that's one more thing we can reference as a sign of the quality of the program. But then for all we know, we may be coming off of two consecutive conference championships in football by then and won't need more validation...
heartofthebear
Hei Bei said:

heartofthebear said:

Can't hurt, right?
Unless we win the game, it's hard to see how it's a big recruiting boon. I don't think Indiana is a particularly talent-rich state for football and the game is early enough in the year that it's probably not going to get an unusual amount of attention other than the usual amount of attention that any Notre Dame gets.

If we win the game, then that's one more thing we can reference as a sign of the quality of the program. But then for all we know, we may be coming off of two consecutive conference championships in football by then and won't need more validation...
I was under the impression that kids get excited about being able to play against national powerhouses. I'm not saying it would be nearly as big of a talking point as having beaten a national powerhouse recently, but I think it could still be a talking point.
Big C
Hei Bei said:

heartofthebear said:

Can't hurt, right?

I didn't know until I looked at a map this week: South Bend is actually close to a certain LARGE U.S. city (not in Indiana).
BearlyCareAnymore
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

mbBear said:

pasadenaorbust said:

Perhaps many have already been to South Bend...but it doesn't seem some here appreciate the history that goes along with that school. Regardless if you dislike Notre Dame now...it is steeped in history and tradition. Forget for a moment the great players who have played for the school (including Joe Montana), It means playing a team that gave us Knute Rockne, the Four Horsemen of Notre Dame, the great teams under Ara Parseghian and the Notre Dame Victory March. I do not follow the Irish as a fan, but what other team could have a former U.S. president give a speech like this...

Pappy Waldorf had more wins than Rockne. The story of Joe Roth is better on every level than the most over-rated sports movie of all time, "Rudy."
The Four Horseman were great because of Grantland Rice. If he had written about the Wonder Teams (same time period) then Cal would have had a signature piece.
The song is good...Michigan's is comparable, but that's subjective. Joe Montana was great. Aaron Rodgers, is allowed in the same sentence. Notre Dame has had way more Casey Clausen types (big hype, under-achieving).
Ronald Reagan was a huge actor at that time...Notre Dame got lucky...ask Iowa about Kevin Costner.
Notre Dame is the best at maintaining a brand, and staying on message-certainly number one in college sports, and, maybe in all of sports, or following the Yankees.

I only have one minor quibble. Ronald Reagan was not a major (movie) star at the time. He was (at best) a B-movie actor. Reagan wouldn't really achieve any level of fame as an actor until after the war when he was the host of CBS's General Electric Theatre. That show made him a "trusted" personality (much as Alex Trebek is a "trusted" personality in our time. Reagan was wise and fortunate enough to parlay that level of trust into a political career. However, as Cal alumni, we all know Reagan's feelings about the Free Speech Movement, which may have led to his policies to cut funding to the UC system when he was governor.

Not just cutting funding, calling for a "bloodbath," sending helicopters to teargass the Cal campus and ordering the National Guard to open fire on Cal students, injuring 50, resulting in one death and permanent disability for others.

Wow! It was that bad?* How can any self-respecting Cal alum ever honor Ronald Reagan?

*Seriously, I didn't know it got that bad. If I had ever been inclined to like Ronald Reagan before, any such inclination is out the window now. (I mean this seriously, without any hint of sarcasm or snark.)

It was that bad. Reagan had a personal war with UCBerkeley

I grew up in a socially liberal, fiscally conservative, predominantly Republican community that had its share of Cal grads. The Republicans nominated Reagan and the voting patterns turned on a dime. A Republican presidential candidate hasn't won there since Ford.
TheFiatLux
OaktownBear said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

mbBear said:

pasadenaorbust said:

Perhaps many have already been to South Bend...but it doesn't seem some here appreciate the history that goes along with that school. Regardless if you dislike Notre Dame now...it is steeped in history and tradition. Forget for a moment the great players who have played for the school (including Joe Montana), It means playing a team that gave us Knute Rockne, the Four Horsemen of Notre Dame, the great teams under Ara Parseghian and the Notre Dame Victory March. I do not follow the Irish as a fan, but what other team could have a former U.S. president give a speech like this...

Pappy Waldorf had more wins than Rockne. The story of Joe Roth is better on every level than the most over-rated sports movie of all time, "Rudy."
The Four Horseman were great because of Grantland Rice. If he had written about the Wonder Teams (same time period) then Cal would have had a signature piece.
The song is good...Michigan's is comparable, but that's subjective. Joe Montana was great. Aaron Rodgers, is allowed in the same sentence. Notre Dame has had way more Casey Clausen types (big hype, under-achieving).
Ronald Reagan was a huge actor at that time...Notre Dame got lucky...ask Iowa about Kevin Costner.
Notre Dame is the best at maintaining a brand, and staying on message-certainly number one in college sports, and, maybe in all of sports, or following the Yankees.

I only have one minor quibble. Ronald Reagan was not a major (movie) star at the time. He was (at best) a B-movie actor. Reagan wouldn't really achieve any level of fame as an actor until after the war when he was the host of CBS's General Electric Theatre. That show made him a "trusted" personality (much as Alex Trebek is a "trusted" personality in our time. Reagan was wise and fortunate enough to parlay that level of trust into a political career. However, as Cal alumni, we all know Reagan's feelings about the Free Speech Movement, which may have led to his policies to cut funding to the UC system when he was governor.

Not just cutting funding, calling for a "bloodbath," sending helicopters to teargass the Cal campus and ordering the National Guard to open fire on Cal students, injuring 50, resulting in one death and permanent disability for others.

Wow! It was that bad?* How can any self-respecting Cal alum ever honor Ronald Reagan?

*Seriously, I didn't know it got that bad. If I had ever been inclined to like Ronald Reagan before, any such inclination is out the window now. (I mean this seriously, without any hint of sarcasm or snark.)

I grew up in a socially liberal, fiscally conservative, predominantly Republican community that had its share of Cal grads. The Republicans nominated Reagan and the voting patterns turned on a dime. A Republican presidential candidate hasn't won there since Ford.
So you grew up in one of 3 counties that Reagan didn't win in 1980? Reagan won the state by 17%. He actually won close to 40% in San Francisco.

BearlyCareAnymore
TheFiatLux said:

OaktownBear said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

mbBear said:

pasadenaorbust said:

So you grew up in one of 3 counties that Reagan didn't win in 1980? Reagan won the state by 17%. He actually won close to 40% in San Francisco.

I wasn't referring to county, but the county I grew up in went from significantly Republican to voting Democrat since 1984. Yes voted for Mondale. Yes it's Marin since that will be obvious when you compare maps

Take a look at the shade of red in the 1976 map compared to 1980 and then going blue in 1984

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.