Story Poster
Photo by calbears.com
Cal Football

Cal To Play At Notre Dame In 2022

January 27, 2020

BERKELEY – Cal and Notre Dame have agreed to play each other on Sept. 17, 2022, at Notre Dame Stadium, the first meeting between the schools in 55 years.

"We are looking forward to visiting Notre Dame, and I know that many of our fans will, too," Director of Athletics Jim Knowlton said. "Notre Dame Stadium is an iconic venue, and this game provides another opportunity for our alumni to support their Bears on the road. We saw a great turnout for our game at Ole Miss this past season and again at the Redbox Bowl in Santa Clara. I expect we'll have another large contingent follow us to Notre Dame for this exciting contest."

"Our players and coaches look forward to playing in an iconic stadium and competing against a college football program with the rich tradition and history of Notre Dame," Cal head coach Justin Wilcox added. "Notre Dame Stadium has been home to some of college football's biggest games and greatest moments, and we are excited to give everyone involved with Cal football the opportunity to experience such a renowned place in our sport's history."

The one-game agreement will mark the fifth all-time contest in the series, with the most recent game being a 41-8 home victory for the No. 1 Fighting Irish on Sept. 23, 1967. Notre Dame was also a 28-6 winner in the first-ever game between the teams in Berkeley in 1959, while the Fighting Irish prevailed at Notre Dame Stadium in a 21-7 decision during the 1960 season and won, 48-6, at California Memorial Stadium in 1965.

Cal finished the 2019 season with an 8-5 overall record and won four of five games to close out the year including victories at Stanford and UCLA, and vs. Illinois in the Redbox Bowl. The Golden Bears have improved their record in each of the last two seasons under Wilcox and tied for second in the Pac-12 North last year for their highest finish since the Pac-12 split into North and South divisions in 2011.

Ticket information for the game at Notre Dame will be announced at a later date. For information on 2020 season tickets or placing a deposit for Cal football membership, visit calbea.rs/20fbtickets, or call (800) GO BEARS (462-3277) and press 3 to contact a Gold Standard service representative.

Additional updates to Cal's future non-conference schedules are expected to be announced in the near future.

Cal-Notre Dame Series History
Oct. 10, 1959 – Notre Dame 28, at Cal 6
Sept. 24, 1960 – at Notre Dame 21, Cal 7
Sept. 18, 1965 – No. 3 Notre Dame 48, at Cal 6
Sept. 23, 1967 – at No. 1 Notre Dame 41, Cal 8

Discussion from...

Cal To Play At Notre Dame In 2022

23,468 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearlyCareAnymore
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sebastabear said:

RighteousGoldenBear said:

A bit of insight into the financials of the game.

https://www.onefootdown.com/2020/1/27/21100070/notre-dame-football-irish-look-to-extend-four-game-win-streak-against-cal-in-2022-golden-bears
Interesting that they are paying us $1.9m and Alabama $1m for a game in 2028. Is that because everyone knows Alabama will cancel once they learn Notre Dame is more than 50 miles from Birmingham? Are they actually able to cross the Mason-Dixon line or is that kind of like how a vampire can't cross the threshold of a church?

Anyway, nice to see they've guaranteed to sell us 5,000 tickets. Guessing we'll have a lot more folks than that in the stands.
We had 5K+ at Ole Miss. We had close to 10K in Austin. We had almost 5K at UNC. 5K+ (which was amazing, coming off a 1-11 season) at Northwestern. Almost 12K at Tennessee...

This should be really good!
TheSouseFamily
calfanz said:

AndyHogan14 said:

Ridiculous that we did not get a return date. Programs need to stop treating Notre Dame like they are something special...
*if* we didnt get a return date, it's a buy game. in other words, we are getting paid to go there.....

I think the conference recently prohibited buy games in basketball. Perhaps that's not the case in football.
TheFiatLux
Big C said:

TomBear said:

This is GREAT. It's immediate and great exposure on a nationwide basis for the program. The Irish have been getting better and better in the last few years and there is still a good sound to "we're playing Notre Dame". By that time, I fully expect Cal to be a very good football team. The competition should be excellent, and the atmosphere with two good teams meeting, should be memorable. I am totally jazzed about this and this looks like the "road trip" for '22.

Now........Athletic Department needs to plan to send the entire Cal Band.....not just the straw hat band, but the full uniformed band to South Bend. They are the best ambassadors the university has, and schools that send fully uniformed bands to away games look like they take the game of football seriously. Cal needs to give that impression.

I'm hoping there is going to be some sort of tour/trip organized by the A.D. I suspect a lot of folks are going to want to go. We repped well at Ole Miss. This should be equally as good, if not even better!
I'm all for sending the Cal Band to games, but sending the full band does cost a fortune. What is the advantage to sending them to South Bend, Indiana? They don't televise the halftime shows anymore. Is it just for the TV shots of them, in the stands, during the game?

I'm trying to imagine how fun a road trip this would be for us... I guess just to see Cal play at Notre Dame? Not much else going on there, on campus or off. At least Mississippi had the lure of soaking in the "Southern culture". A buddy of mine took in a game at ND a while back, just for the experience. He said seeing Touchdown Jesus made him smirk, but that was about it. (Of course, Cal wasn't playing in the game, so... )

THIS is why you send the band.

(why can't i embed a video at a certain point in the video?)

Just listen to that. That was the strawhat band. Imagine the full on Cal band.

And that is what 10K traveling Cal fans sounds like!
wifeisafurd
SadbutTrue999 said:

wifeisafurd said:

We needed at better team to beat in 2020. Expect more scheduling changes. Lot of things happening. Probably getting a better program than ND at Memorial for a home and away. Look to the south.

I guess Wilcox has decided he wants to play with the big boys. This is a good thing.
For 2020?
this particular ND game was agreed to a while back. It has meant a lot of game changes. A lot, means a lot. Those of you over on the pay board have seen the posts. This is not a matter of simply dropping Vegas for one game and inserting ND. And it was part of a bigger overall change. I only heard one small component, though again on the pay board you can see the rumors.
wifeisafurd
TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

https://www.onefootdown.com/2020/1/27/21100070/notre-dame-football-irish-look-to-extend-four-game-win-streak-against-cal-in-2022-golden-bears
Interesting that they are paying us $1.9m and Alabama $1m for a game in 2028. Is that because everyone knows Alabama will cancel once they learn Notre Dame is more than 50 miles from Birmingham? Are they actually able to cross the Mason-Dixon line or is that kind of like how a vampire can't cross the threshold of a church?

Anyway, nice to see they've guaranteed to sell us 5,000 tickets. Guessing we'll have a lot more folks than that in the stands.
We had 5K+ at Ole Miss. We had close to 10K in Austin. We had almost 5K at UNC. 5K+ (which was amazing, coming off a 1-11 season) at Northwestern. Almost 12K at Tennessee...

This should be really good!
I think word has gotten out that Cal travels surprisingly well.
ColoradoBear
Sebastabear said:

The Alabama series with Notre Dame is a home and home series. Between two 'equal' schools, offsetting payments are written into the contract where the home team pays the road team a set amount, and the payment is reversed for the next meeting. Basically a way of covering travel expenses and stabilizing year to year revenue.

$1.9 million is a decent amount, but not great by any means compared to what others p5 schools get for no return game contracts.

Giving up a road game in an even year like this isn't the worst either. Not sure I like only 6 home games as it appears the @UNT game is on Sept 10, so it's not replaced... Yet. Maybe we are going to reduce the UNLV series to a 2 game series, but UNLV has no OOC games on the books for 2022, so I think buying out UNT with the ND money still seems like the best move.

There was a rumor of a Florida home and home in the mid 2020's a few months back. That would be pretty great. (@Fla in 2026 and @CMS in 2027).

https://www.onlygators.com/11/06/2019/florida-football-scheduling-two-pac-12-teams-for-rare-future-home-and-home-series/

We still need a marquee home game in 2025 - The big issue I would have with the Notre Dame series is if 2025 has no marquee OOC home game. If that is the case, the @ND game is a huge opportunity cost in that we could have played a p5 road game to get a p5 return.
BearSD
SonomanA1 said:

We are giving up a home game against UNLV to play an away game at ND...

... which is dumb.

The #1 goal is to win games, and trading a home game for a road game at a difficult place to win is something a team in a power conference should never do.

If Knowlton is doing this for the money, then he's not doing a good enough job of raising money.

NVBear78
BearSD said:

SonomanA1 said:

We are giving up a home game against UNLV to play an away game at ND...

... which is dumb.

The #1 goal is to win games, and trading a home game for a road game at a difficult place to win is something a team in a power conference should never do.

If Knowlton is doing this for the money, then he's not doing a good enough job of raising money.

1). He's not doing it to raise money but it will help raise our profile.

2). Wait and see how the schedule unfolds.

Haven't Wilcox and Knowlton earned at least a modicum of trust on Growls yet???

Go Bears!!!
Sebastabear
It's not like the return game option didn't occur to Cal. It's the first thing everyone who considered this plan thought of. But the problem was it just couldn't be swung with Notre Dame's schedule. Even without a return we had to get six teams to agree so we could make this happen and it took over a year. So while a return game would have been great our choice was play ND without it or don't play ND. We chose the former. I should think those who have bemoaned our lack of marquee OOC games would be pleased.
CaliforniaEternal
Sounds pretty good. Are there P5 schools getting more than $1.9M for a one-off? If we win, great, and if not, oh well, it's a non-conference game so it doesn't really matter. Why we're playing at North Texas in 2022 though makes no sense, it's beyond pathetic.
Cave Bear
Strongly dislike.

As a CFB fan, I will enjoy visiting Notre Dame Stadium and seeing a game there, but as a Cal fan I think this is a terrible thing. If we're not getting a return visit, we absolutely should not schedule a big OOC matchup.

There is a very strong record of Pac-12 failure when playing ranked OOC opponents on the road. Since 2010, Pac-12 teams are 3-20 when facing a ranked OOC opponent at their stadium and 0-4 at "neutral" sites (all of which were much closer to the opponent's home). However, since 2010, Pac-12 teams are 19-8 when playing ranked OOC opponents at home. The site is even more important when the Pac-12 team is ranked too, 1-11 away (plus "neutral") and 8-0 home.

What we just did is replace a likely win with a likely loss. We also just turned our UNLV series from a home-and-home to a one-way, with the Pac-12 team making the unreturned visit to the MWC team.
Strykur
CaliforniaEternal said:

Sounds pretty good. Are there P5 schools getting more than $1.9M for a one-off? If we win, great, and if not, oh well, it's a non-conference game so it doesn't really matter. Why we're playing at North Texas in 2022 though makes no sense, it's beyond pathetic.
Trying to recruit Texas? We got some good pub out of the home and home with the Longhorns anyways.
BearSD

Quote:

2). Wait and see how the schedule unfolds.

Saying "wait and see" is setting up expectations that existing issues with future schedules will be cleaned up.

-- Will the money from playing at Notre Dame be used to buy Cal's way out of ever playing at North Texas?

-- Will one of the Cal-UNLV games in Las Vegas be cancelled, given that one of the games at CMS is being cancelled to play at Notre Dame?

-- Which big name teams will be playing at CMS to make up for ND not playing in Berkeley? Will the Bears get one of those games at CMS without having to return the game?
CaliforniaEternal
Strykur said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

Trying to recruit Texas? We got some good pub out of the home and home with the Longhorns anyways.

If we played at UT, A&M, or TCU that moves the needle and we are playing at TCU in 2021 so we will already be in the state. North Texas has a very limited following so it's not clear what additional benefit will be gained since we will already be in Dallas next year.
okaydo
South Bend is a city I'd like to visit.

I've heard their 37-year-old mayor is doing some interesting things.
Hei Bei
The complaining about this seems like much ado about nothing
GivemTheAxe
wifeisafurd said:

AndyHogan14 said:

Ridiculous that we did not get a return date. Programs need to stop treating Notre Dame like they are something special...

We needed at better team to beat in 2020. Expect more scheduling changes. Lot of things happening. Probably getting a better program than ND at Memorial for a home and away. Look to the south.

I guess Wilcox has decided he wants to play with the big boys. This is a good thing.

Agree. Cal is improving every year under JW.
5 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins. By 2022 Cal could be a 10-win or 11-win team.
It would be historic if Cal could go into South Bend and come out with a W.
pasadenaorbust
Perhaps many have already been to South Bend...but it doesn't seem some here appreciate the history that goes along with that school. Regardless if you dislike Notre Dame now...it is steeped in history and tradition. Forget for a moment the great players who have played for the school (including Joe Montana), It means playing a team that gave us Knute Rockne, the Four Horsemen of Notre Dame, the great teams under Ara Parseghian and the Notre Dame Victory March. I do not follow the Irish as a fan, but what other team could have a former U.S. president give a speech like this...

pasadenaorbust
hearing the Victory March in person would be something special, too...

mbBear
pasadenaorbust said:

Perhaps many have already been to South Bend...but it doesn't seem some here appreciate the history that goes along with that school. Regardless if you dislike Notre Dame now...it is steeped in history and tradition. Forget for a moment the great players who have played for the school (including Joe Montana), It means playing a team that gave us Knute Rockne, the Four Horsemen of Notre Dame, the great teams under Ara Parseghian and the Notre Dame Victory March. I do not follow the Irish as a fan, but what other team could have a former U.S. president give a speech like this...

Pappy Waldorf had more wins than Rockne. The story of Joe Roth is better on every level than the most over-rated sports movie of all time, "Rudy."
The Four Horseman were great because of Grantland Rice. If he had written about the Wonder Teams (same time period) then Cal would have had a signature piece.
The song is good...Michigan's is comparable, but that's subjective. Joe Montana was great. Aaron Rodgers, is allowed in the same sentence. Notre Dame has had way more Casey Clausen types (big hype, under-achieving).
Ronald Reagan was a huge actor at that time...Notre Dame got lucky...ask Iowa about Kevin Costner.
Notre Dame is the best at maintaining a brand, and staying on message-certainly number one in college sports, and, maybe in all of sports, or following the Yankees.
pasadenaorbust
Maybe have to be there for this, too...would give you chills a bit I think...

Beating Notre Dame would make the day perfect...
BGolden
SonomanA1 said:

We are giving up a home game against UNLV to play an away game at ND. Our only non-conference home game will be against Davis. I assume ND needed someone to go to South Bend to play them, and we saw it as an opportunity. We only have to score more than 8 points to set our high score against them.
Too bad the game isn't in 2021. Would rather have Garbers as a senior QB rather than a new starter for that game.
Cave Bear
Hei Bei said:

The complaining about this seems like much ado about nothing
What a very strong case you've made
philbert
got this from TOS, but it seems relevant to the discussion:

TomBear
Thanks Pasadena. Enjoyed those videos greatly.

BRING CAL BAND!!!!!
pasadenaorbust
Definitely bring the Cal Band....no question. The Golden Dome concert is moving....but nothing liking watching the Cal Band race for Sproul Hall!
pasadenaorbust
If the Cal Band can go to Brussels, Belgium...it can certainly go to South Bend, Indiana...

01Bear
mbBear said:

pasadenaorbust said:

Pappy Waldorf had more wins than Rockne. The story of Joe Roth is better on every level than the most over-rated sports movie of all time, "Rudy."
The Four Horseman were great because of Grantland Rice. If he had written about the Wonder Teams (same time period) then Cal would have had a signature piece.
The song is good...Michigan's is comparable, but that's subjective. Joe Montana was great. Aaron Rodgers, is allowed in the same sentence. Notre Dame has had way more Casey Clausen types (big hype, under-achieving).
Ronald Reagan was a huge actor at that time...Notre Dame got lucky...ask Iowa about Kevin Costner.
Notre Dame is the best at maintaining a brand, and staying on message-certainly number one in college sports, and, maybe in all of sports, or following the Yankees.

I only have one minor quibble. Ronald Reagan was not a major (movie) star at the time. He was (at best) a B-movie actor. Reagan wouldn't really achieve any level of fame as an actor until after the war when he was the host of CBS's General Electric Theatre. That show made him a "trusted" personality (much as Alex Trebek is a "trusted" personality in our time. Reagan was wise and fortunate enough to parlay that level of trust into a political career. However, as Cal alumni, we all know Reagan's feelings about the Free Speech Movement, which may have led to his policies to cut funding to the UC system when he was governor.
wifeisafurd
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

I guess Wilcox has decided he wants to play with the big boys.
This is a good thing.
Intriguing...

We talkin' Arkansas or Vanderbilt?
Those are the big boys? We are talking football right? I mean Vandy and Arkansas might be the big boys academically in the SEC.
wifeisafurd
calfanz said:

AndyHogan14 said:

*if* we didnt get a return date, it's a buy game. in other words, we are getting paid to go there.....
Notre Dame loses Furd in 2025. SC will be the only west coast visit, once every two years. Now Frud could be renewed, but the Furdies complain already about odd year, even year problem. For Cal it works the other way, they would get Notre Dame at home in an otherwise weak home game year.

BTW, to answer another post, the Notre Dame experience is not about tailgating on campus all day like Ole Miss, it is really about visiting Chicago, setting up traditions in Chicago and taking the booze train out to South Bend. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice campus to visit and a stadium with a lot of tradition. But it is a different scene than say going to a SEC game. For starters, the weather can really suck, so spending huge amounts of time outside in a tailgate is not an option for the sober.

Lass thought: how much did ASU pay Notre Dame for the one off they gave them in 2015? Maybe they just promised the ND rooters good weather in Tempe and plenty of girls gone wild action.
calumnus
01Bear said:

mbBear said:

pasadenaorbust said:

I only have one minor quibble. Ronald Reagan was not a major (movie) star at the time. He was (at best) a B-movie actor. Reagan wouldn't really achieve any level of fame as an actor until after the war when he was the host of CBS's General Electric Theatre. That show made him a "trusted" personality (much as Alex Trebek is a "trusted" personality in our time. Reagan was wise and fortunate enough to parlay that level of trust into a political career. However, as Cal alumni, we all know Reagan's feelings about the Free Speech Movement, which may have led to his policies to cut funding to the UC system when he was governor.

Not just cutting funding, calling for a "bloodbath," sending helicopters to teargass the Cal campus and ordering the National Guard to open fire on Cal students, injuring 50, resulting in one death and permanent disability for others.
tequila4kapp
My gosh, what a bunch of complainers. Okay, what we know right now isn't perfect. Well **** us all, the world is coming to an end.

Reality check - we'd have 25k in the stands for that crappy home game (even though they'd say it was 38k) and people would ***** that our home schedule sucked because of it. This increases our exposure and gives us something else to sell in recruiting. And not for nothing but ND hasn't exactly been ND for a while. We may well just go to South Bend and kick their asses. Finally, making these kinds of changes to our schedule seems like a sign that JT is here for the long haul, which is a great thing.
mbBear
I will defer on the Reagan reference, but N. Dame still got lucky being the focus of a major motion picture.
I certainly wasn't bringing up his politics-has nothing to do with N. Dame.
01Bear
mbBear said:

I will defer on the Reagan reference, but N. Dame still got lucky being the focus of a major motion picture.
I certainly wasn't bringing up his politics-has nothing to do with N. Dame.

Sorry for the digression. I really agreed with your main points. I was just speaking to a minor factual point that really had no bearing on your position. My bad.
01Bear
calumnus said:

01Bear said:

mbBear said:

pasadenaorbust said:

Not just cutting funding, calling for a "bloodbath," sending helicopters to teargass the Cal campus and ordering the National Guard to open fire on Cal students, injuring 50, resulting in one death and permanent disability for others.

Wow! It was that bad?* How can any self-respecting Cal alum ever honor Ronald Reagan?

*Seriously, I didn't know it got that bad. If I had ever been inclined to like Ronald Reagan before, any such inclination is out the window now. (I mean this seriously, without any hint of sarcasm or snark.)
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.