Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Hunter Barth
Cal Football

Barth's Commitment Keeps Cal Football Recruiting on a Roll

April 23, 2020

Cal football's 2021 recruiting class grew again with the third commitment in the last week and a half with today's announcement from 6-2/200 Queen Creek (Queen Creek, AZ) safety Hunter Barth‍.

As was the case with many of Cal’s commits, the Bears beat out tough competition for Barth, with the 3 star safety holding offers from USC, UCLA, Oregon, Utah, Virginia, Duke and more.

“I’m excited,” said Barth. “Cal’s a great academic school. You really can’t beat it. And I really felt comfortable with the Cal coaching staff with Coach Ragle, Coach Yates, Coach Wilcox. They really make me feel like they’ll take care of me and put me in the best position possible. And I really believe in them as coaches, too.

“You can’t beat the degree you get from Cal. I’d say the education is maybe the top reason I chose Cal.

“I love the Bay Area, too. I was there for a 7-on-7 tournament my freshman year and I went back again for camp the next year. It’s awesome there.”

Barth’s had a chance to connect already with some of Cal’s commits.

“They’re great guys and they’re all great players,” said Barth. “They all seem like good people.”

Special teams coach Charlie Ragle has helped Cal establish somewhat of a pipeline in the Arizona area under Justin Wilcox. Cal signed six players from Arizona in 2019 and added two more in 2020.

“I met Hunter last year,” said Queen Creek head coach Joe Germaine. “He came into our program at that point right as we were starting spring football. I had heard a lot of great things about him.

“He started on varsity at corner as a sophomore, but the first time I actually got my eyes on him, I was extremely impressed with how he carries himself. His demeanor, his attitude, his work ethic; he’s an unbelievable teammate and his attitude is infectious.”

Barth’s coach noted that his athletic versatility has served him well.

“He starts on both sides of the ball for us as a wide receiver and safety, and he’s played corner,” said Germaine. “I actually see him at the next level probably focusing more on the defensive side of the ball. So I could see him as a starting safety, he might even as he fills out, because of his athleticism, be an outside linebacker. He brings that physicality of a linebacker but could also walk out over a slot receiver and play coverage in space.”

“I see him being a starting player no question. I think he has the athletic ability and size to do it, but I know for sure that he has the work ethic and determination to do it.”

After missing five games due to transferring from Casteel High School, Barth collected 51 tackles, with one interception and three pass breakups on D and 21 receptions for 255 yards and two touchdowns at receiver as a junior.

Barth feels he’s jumping into the Cal program at the right time.

“I really like the trend of the program,” said Barth. “My goal is to win a Pac-12 championship and the guys in my class are coming in thinking the same way.

“I’m excited.”

Barth joins current Cal commits QB Kai Millner‍, WR Mavin Anderson‍, OT Bastian Swinney‍, TE Jermaine Terry‍, DE Akili Calhoun‍ and DB Kaleb Higgins‍ in the 2021 Cal recruiting class.

Other stories:

Los Gatos LB Will Schweitzer Talks Recruiting

Higgins Ready For the Next Step at Cal

Discussion from...

Barth's Commitment Keeps Cal Football Recruiting on a Roll

13,280 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CALiforniALUM
LACalFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome, Hunter!
Oski87
Awesome.
chazzed
Welcome to Cal, young man, and good luck!
TheSouseFamily
Awesome. Very impressive offer list. Sounds like a great pick up. Welcome, Hunter!

Is his coach the former Ohio State QB??
Goobear
Welcome to Cal Football Hunter. Go Bears!
BigDaddyBear
Kaboom GoBears and welcome!
rkt88edmo
Great news, welcome Hunter!
aTedHead
Welcome to the University of California.
91Cal
Welcome to the family! Go Bears!
burritos
Damn, talk about a heat seeking missile.
AunBear89
An excellent four year decision and 40 year decision. Best of luck to you in both!
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
NVBear78
Holy Toledo, how fast is he? Talk about a blur on the field and that is his Junior year film.
heartofthebear
burritos said:

definitely a Hunter.
philbert
Welcome! Let's see some pick 6s against the Furd, Toe Jams, et al.
burritos
heartofthebear said:

burritos said:

definitely a Hunter.
I always called Wendell Hunter a Head Hunter. Not because he actually targeted people in the head, but because he would blow up people back in the day. It sounded cool with the alliteration an all. I'm guessing that using that term today would not be woke.
concernedparent
One of the best films I've seen for a guy rated 5.5 on Rivals... Is he just not really going to camps?
Rushinbear
concernedparent said:

One of the best films I've seen for a guy rated 5.5 on Rivals... Is he just not really going to camps?
I wonder how much the slip and fall after his int at the goal line cost him?
CalFan777
Rivals seems to be behind on rating West coast prospects. They also have Calhoun and Higgins rated as 5.5's, which is crazy. I don't know what they are doing this year. Maybe their next update will be better.
LACalFan
Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

I wonder how much the slip and fall after his int at the goal line cost him?
Ha! I saw that too. He got a little too juiced and spun out.

Re his rating, that offer list tells you what those programs think of Hunter.
burritos
Offer list from coaches. Do stars come from coaches or just football enthusiasts who have "expertise"?
burritos
How many schollies does Cal still have outstanding? Is anyone(on both the recruiting and recruiter side) expressing how this might be putting added pressure on existing offers?
CALiforniALUM
To this eye, this guy looks like the real deal. Not often you send around your video where you have a fumble in the end zone but look good doing it. I suspect (can't wait for his first interview in blue and gold) that he will have some moxie in the glove compartment. Dude is a load and looks huge standing alone relative to others in center field. Fast with full on downhill running with proper timing and angles. Me likey.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.