Furd dropping 11 varsity sports!

12,277 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by philbert
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

BearSD said:

mvargus said:

BearClause said:

calumnus said:

I think Cal either already cut, or never had, most of those sports.

Agree that now is the time to radically rethink the AD.

There's a history of some of the these sports at Cal. I know that men's VB was cut in the 80s. Obviously we've got a long history in rowing. Some are still at Cal (for the time being) like cross country.
Rowing at UC Berkeley is a club sport with an endowment and while the AD could cut some support I believe the endowment is large enough to allow the program to maintain itself without too much trouble.

The bigger issue at Cal is that Title IX will rear its head if any women's sports get cut which then immediately puts Men's Baseball at the top of the cut list due to its roster size, and just a few years ago the vitriol and anger generated when Cal attempted to cut baseball for just that reason (Title IX compliance) nearly brought down the AD.

I agree with you that sports are going to see their support drop, but with the problems complying with Title IX, the decisions won't be strictly financial.
Women's sports will be cut along with men's sports if the number of varsity sports at Cal gets reduced to about 20, which I suspect will eventually happen.

The only "protection" from this cut that baseball really has is the possibility that Stu Gordon and friends cut off any future donations to the university. The risk to baseball is not only the roster size, but the campus real estate that Evans Diamond sits on. The future of varsity track and field is at risk for the same reason. Wouldn't be surprised if long-range campus planners already have ideas for academic buildings that would go where Edwards Stadium and Evans Diamond are now.

I would simply tell Mr. Gordon, "Goodbye and good luck" and move forward with whatever plans best fit the future of the campus in general and the AD specifically.
Gordon is both a donor to athletics and campus and has been a strong advocate for Cal. He is very respected and close to the current Chancellor and AD.

His friends include various billionaires who have their names on buildings and facilities and who are basically the only repetitive major donors (outside foundations) to campus. Cal suffers from a very narrow donor base. It is not that simple I'm afraid. The state has basically abandoned funding higher education and the gap needs to be filled by benefactors like Mr. Gordon's friends. This could be an opportunity to have a good portion of athletics become endowed if handled in the right way.
If they were sincere friends of the University, they would understand then necessity of cutting athletics and would not take a selfish approach to the issue.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Mr. Spock
smh
71Bear said:

> "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Mr. Spock

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
dimitrig

There is no point to college baseball as a scholarship sport. Most of the best players go straight to the pros and - unlike basketball - there is no real revenue-generating following. I hate to see any sports cut, because it hurts the players and the fans, but in this current environment baseball has to be at the top of the list. Let the big donors do what they will.

rkt88edmo
OaktownBear said:

rkt88edmo said:

Since we were talking about D3 sports. Is getting into those schools even difficult? After watching a relative do it it really looked like the player's parent are just paying an outrageous amount of tuition so that their kid can play college sports at a level that means your sporting career will generally end at that college.

Are there really desireable D3 schools that people are using sports to help admissions?

I may just be completely out of touch since I didn't apply outside of UC, and my wife had very little going for her outside of strong academics. I played polo in HS but I wouldn't have been more then a C team guy at Cal so I never even talked to the coaching staff when applying.
Off the top of my head, UChicago, NYU, Tufts, Amherst, Bowdoin, the Claremont Colleges and Carnegie Mellon are all Division III schools.
Thank you, I recognize the academic rigor in there and definitely would describe them as desireable.
mbBear
rkt88edmo said:

OaktownBear said:

rkt88edmo said:

Since we were talking about D3 sports. Is getting into those schools even difficult? After watching a relative do it it really looked like the player's parent are just paying an outrageous amount of tuition so that their kid can play college sports at a level that means your sporting career will generally end at that college.

Are there really desireable D3 schools that people are using sports to help admissions?

I may just be completely out of touch since I didn't apply outside of UC, and my wife had very little going for her outside of strong academics. I played polo in HS but I wouldn't have been more then a C team guy at Cal so I never even talked to the coaching staff when applying.
Off the top of my head, UChicago, NYU, Tufts, Amherst, Bowdoin, the Claremont Colleges and Carnegie Mellon are all Division III schools.
Thank you, I recognize the academic rigor in there and definitely would describe them as desireable.

Swarthmore, Johns Hopkins, Emory.
You might of heard of those.
Hopkins D1 for Lacrosse. Swarthmore has a bright youngish hoops coach-they have been very strong last couple of years.
Chabbear
RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) where our AD got his first AD Job is pretty good too and it graduates over a 1000 BA engineers each year .
mbBear
Chabbear said:

RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) where our AD got his first AD Job is pretty good too and it graduates over a 1000 BA engineers each year .
They are in the Liberty League, which has some other strong D3 academic programs...Vassar, Bard, and Union, where my nephew will be a freshman pitcher this upcoming season!
Union is D1 for Hockey....
BancroftBear93
This thread is super boring. I just want to be on the record that Stanford is bad and blah blah
mvargus
BearSD said:

mvargus said:

BearClause said:

calumnus said:

I think Cal either already cut, or never had, most of those sports.

Agree that now is the time to radically rethink the AD.

There's a history of some of the these sports at Cal. I know that men's VB was cut in the 80s. Obviously we've got a long history in rowing. Some are still at Cal (for the time being) like cross country.
Rowing at UC Berkeley is a club sport with an endowment and while the AD could cut some support I believe the endowment is large enough to allow the program to maintain itself without too much trouble.

The bigger issue at Cal is that Title IX will rear its head if any women's sports get cut which then immediately puts Men's Baseball at the top of the cut list due to its roster size, and just a few years ago the vitriol and anger generated when Cal attempted to cut baseball for just that reason (Title IX compliance) nearly brought down the AD.

I agree with you that sports are going to see their support drop, but with the problems complying with Title IX, the decisions won't be strictly financial.
Women's sports will be cut along with men's sports if the number of varsity sports at Cal gets reduced to about 20, which I suspect will eventually happen.

The only "protection" from this cut that baseball really has is the possibility that Stu Gordon and friends cut off any future donations to the university. The risk to baseball is not only the roster size, but the campus real estate that Evans Diamond sits on. The future of varsity track and field is at risk for the same reason. Wouldn't be surprised if long-range campus planners already have ideas for academic buildings that would go where Edwards Stadium and Evans Diamond are now.

I may be wrong, but I think Cal already dropped Men's varsity track and field as a scholarship sport due to the financial considerations, but kept women's because they can use it to balance the numbers.
philbert
Even Furd has trouble cutting sports.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.