Story Poster
Photo by © Kelley L Cox USA Today
Cal Football

With Big 10 Reportedly Ready to Play, Pac-12 Players Launch Appeals

September 15, 2020

The natives are getting restless.

The Big 10 is reportedly on the verge of reinstating football, with the hopes of starting a seven or eight-game season by mid-October. Although no official announcement has been made, many news outlets, including the Milwaukee Journal, are reporting the decision has been made. 

Several Pac-12 football players, including Cal quarterback Chase Garbers, are urging the western league to do the same.

Aside from getting the university chancellors, presidents and medical staff to agree to start the season, the Pac-12 schools face another stumbling block. In California and Oregon, only limited al workouts are permitted under the states’ COVID protocols. Numerous appeals have been made to the governors to relax those restrictions. Proponents of staring the season are pointing to the agreement announced last week between the Pac-12 and Quidel Corporation, a diagnostic testing company, to provide COVID-19 antigen testing capabilities, with results available immediately. They are scheduled to be on campuses by the end of the month.

A group of USC players released an open letter to California governor Gavin Newsom on Tuesday.

“The current reality is that there are too many restrictions imposed by state and local public health officials in California that prevent us from resuming practices and competition," the USC players' letter reads. "We cannot practice in groups larger than 12, we cannot gather as a team, and we cannot utilize any of our indoor facilities. From the onset of this pandemic, the Pac-12 has rightfully and responsibly maintained that their decisions would be based on science, and now it appears that the science and technology have turned in our favor of playing.

"Governor Newsom, our request of you is that you work with us -- urgently and purposefully -- to find a path forward for us to resume competitions later this fall so that we can have the same opportunity as other teams around the country to play for a national championship," the USC players' letter reads. "We respect the careful and cautious approach you have taken to college athletics, and we have the utmost confidence that we can partner together to quickly develop a plan that allows us to compete in a 2020 fall football season.

"Let's find a way to say 'Yes!' Please let us play."

Following that letter, some Oregon players, including receiver Mycah Pittman took to Twitter to plead their case.  “Dear @pac12, I ask if you guys can give us players an option to opt in or out," Pittman said. "Display the risk of us playing this season and let us agree upon it. For you guys to take something away from me that I love so dearly it hurts and I had no option but listen. #WeWantToPlay”

Garbers, Cal’s starting quarterback, posted a Tweet of his own.

Of course, the Bears are ruled not only by the states’ protocols but also those of Alameda County and the city of Berkeley. They are even stricter than California’s and might be harder to get lifted.

The October start date would enable the Big 10 to play seven or eight games, hold a conference championship and still beat the College Football Playoff selection day. The consensus of the Pac-12 coaches is that they would require six weeks of practice prior to the season. Assuming the new tests are available by the end of the month, the earliest the league could start would be Nov 21, probably eliminating it from the playoffs. 

Commissioner Larry Scott is talking about starting the season in January.

Discussion from...

With Big 10 Reportedly Ready to Play, Pac-12 Players Launch Appeals

10,985 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bearly Clad
75bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why does there need to be 6 weeks of practices to be ready for a game - wouldn't 4 weeks be sufficient?
Bearly Clad
B10 press conference is live now to announce their return to play
AXLBear
Sorry primadonnas. Be careful what you wish for. You were looking to extort more money out of the process. You already have potential for a degree from the University of California which is almost priceless. They called your sh@tty bluff. Get bent and rot for the fall you wimps.
LMK5
Terrible optics for the Pac-12 right now. Ouchee.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
MilleniaBear
Did I miss something?

"We have sat by for two weeks watching teams across the country play the game we love safely."

The LSU coach says most of his players have COVID-19 now. Its running thru many teams. I don't understand how that is safe. If the heart issue is even half real there is going to be a generation of top players with heart damage.

The players should try taking a lead in doing this safely. No indoor training facilities. Player meetings have to be outside. Coaches wear masks all the time. And what about the player demands? Maybe table that till next year or work on half the list?
bencgilmore
75bear said:

Why does there need to be 6 weeks of practices to be ready for a game - wouldn't 4 weeks be sufficient?
i dunno if you saw the tackling for some of the teams in week 1... i think most coaches (outside nebraska) do actually think 4 weeks is too little.

that said, i'd be more than happy to do that and start alongside the big10
LunchTime
MilleniaBear said:

Did I miss something?

"We have sat by for two weeks watching teams across the country play the game we love safely."

The LSU coach says most of his players have COVID-19 now. Its running thru many teams. I don't understand how that is safe. If the heart issue is even half real there is going to be a generation of top players with heart damage.

The players should try taking a lead in doing this safely. No indoor training facilities. Player meetings have to be outside. Coaches wear masks all the time. And what about the player demands? Maybe table that till next year or work on half the list?
Apparently you did miss something, because that is some wild editorializing. Here is what the LSU coach said:

Most of his players have had COVID and recovered and he is not concerned with them contracting it during the season. He focuses on safety for the players that have not had it. Not that most of them have it NOW.
Bearly Clad
AXLBear said:

Sorry primadonnas. Be careful what you wish for. You were looking to extort more money out of the process. You already have potential for a degree from the University of California which is almost priceless. They called your sh@tty bluff. Get bent and rot for the fall you wimps.
I don't really get this, the Pac-12 players didn't make the decision to delay the season and they're not the one's standing in the way of re-starting the season. Player demands aside -which we haven't heard about for a while now- this has always been about testing capacity and local public health ordinances during a pandemic.

Now that we have more info on if and how football can safely be played (German Bundesliga, South Korean Baseball, NFL, NBA have all played safely and the hiccups from MLB and the rest of CFB have been informative too) it's time to finalize the logistics of a return to play. I think there's enough information out there now to know how to get back on the field without seeing the big numbers of delayed games like the other conferences. If I remember right the ACC had 4 weeks for delayed games and Va Tech has already filled up two of theirs, if we can avoid situations like that and start practicing in October to play in November then everything (mostly) will have worked out. By the way, the players clearly want to play
burritos
https://www.history.com/news/smallpox-george-washington-revolutionary-war

George washington innoculated his troops with smallpox to win the war against the brits. And football is much more important than independence. Herd immunity is coming american style(inadvertently and unplanned as opposed to swedish style which was intentional and planned). I think we have the likelihood of stopping it like crowds on midnight black friday.
Big Dog
Quote:

Player demands aside -which we haven't heard about for a while now- this has always been about testing capacity and local public health ordinances during a pandemic.

Sorry, but testing capacity is a red herring (and local spin). SoCal counties and the Bay Area offer tests to anyone and everyone -- no charge.There is plenty of capacity (for a price). Most (all?) of the p12 schools have high ranked medical schools and hospitals that could easily run pcr tests same day.

The ONLY thing prohibiting fall football is the Gov and local politicos (who have the authority to over-rule their health official if they so choose).

Here's an example of the type of testing that is currently being conducted at many east coast colleges. (not saying the UC has the money to test all students, but testing 95 football players & some coaches a few times a week is not rocket science.)

http://wesleyanargus.com/2020/09/11/wesleyan-contracts-broad-institute-allows-for-safe-return-of-students-to-campus/
Bearly Clad
You're definitely true about what's holding back football from being played, but don't discount how important these new testing capabilities are. 15 minutes, 96% accurate, and they can detect the virus at a low enough level that they can catch positive cases before they become infectious; all that is a huge gamechanger in bringing back football this fall
Big Dog
Bearly Clad said:

You're definitely true about what's holding back football from being played, but don't discount how important these new testing capabilities are. 15 minutes, 96% accurate, and they can detect the virus at a low enough level that they can catch positive cases before they become infectious; all that is a huge gamechanger in bringing back football this fall

Strongly disagree. Sure, a 15-minute response rate is great, but again, the p12 schools have major medical schools down the street. It would be extremely easy to do nose swabs at breakfast, courier them to the med center, run the pcr, and have results by noon. Rinse and repeat. Logistics ain't hard. They could run swabs daily if they wanted.

Or, cut a deal with Yale Med and do the NBA-testing protocol.
Big Dog
Sure, you can play any sport you want, says the Gov, but you can't practice with a full offense and defense on the field at the same time. How about tackling in "air"?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/09/16/explaining-the-california-restrictions-governing-practice-for-the-pac-12-teams-from-a-practical-standpoint-its-impractical/
HungryCalBear
Have the players been allowed to work out in the weight room? Big risk of injuries if they haven't been conditioning all year. 4 weeks isn't enough.
Goobear
HungryCalBear said:

Have the players been allowed to work out in the weight room? Big risk of injuries if they haven't been conditioning all year. 4 weeks isn't enough.
Outside with weights only
Bearly Clad
Big Dog said:

Strongly disagree. Sure, a 15-minute response rate is great, but again, the p12 schools have major medical schools down the street. It would be extremely easy to do nose swabs at breakfast, courier them to the med center, run the pcr, and have results by noon. Rinse and repeat. Logistics ain't hard. They could run swabs daily if they wanted.

NBA-testing protocol only works because of the bubble situation where they can afford to get results slower (1-2 days). Without a closed campus environment the rapid testing is key to avoiding in-season delays. Baylor has already had 3 games postponed or cancelled, Va Tech had one of their delayed games moved to Dec. 12th (originally one of the two possible dates for the ACC Championship Game which means the ACC CG is locked in on the 19th), and UNC straight up cancelled a game this week with no possible makeup date. The East Coast has major medical centers too. If it were that easy then why have over a third of scheduled FBS games been affected so far? None of that is impossible to overcome, but they're seriously running out of enough runway to have a successful season.
Big Dog
Bearly Clad said:

Big Dog said:

NBA-testing protocol only works because of the bubble situation where they can afford to get results slower (1-2 days). Without a closed campus environment the rapid testing is key to avoiding in-season delays. Baylor has already had 3 games postponed or cancelled, Va Tech had one of their delayed games moved to Dec. 12th (originally one of the two possible dates for the ACC Championship Game which means the ACC CG is locked in on the 19th), and UNC straight up cancelled a game this week with no possible makeup date. The East Coast has major medical centers too. If it were that easy then why have over a third of scheduled FBS games been affected so far? None of that is impossible to overcome, but they're seriously running out of enough runway to have a successful season.
Testing IS easy; "managing" COVID (and human behavior) is not.

https://news.yale.edu/2020/08/15/yales-rapid-covid-19-saliva-test-receives-fda-emergency-use-authorization

https://www.broadinstitute.org/coronavirus/covid-19
Bearly Clad
Fair enough, maybe it's a leap to assume that they go hand-in-hand but I've gotta believe that with the quicker daily tests the logistics would be easier to manage and there would be no late cancellations like the Houston-Baylor game that was scheduled 6 days ago, supposed to be played tomorrow, and cancelled today. And I wouldn't pretend to be an expert on it, but why are the conferences and sportswriters so consistently citing it as a gamechanger?
CALiforniALUM
Just because other conferences decided to move forward doesn't mean they made the correct decision.

This entire situation sounds more like the kid who sees their friends out playing in the street and asks their Mom if they can go out right as a big truck runs one of them over. Sometimes Mom knows best.
LMK5
CALiforniALUM said:

Just because other conferences decided to move forward doesn't mean they made the correct decision.

This entire situation sounds more like the kid who sees their friends out playing in the street and asks their Mom if they can go out right as a big truck runs one of them over. Sometimes Mom knows best.
That's true. But if you don't forge ahead with a plan and make adjustments along the way, then you are certain of one thing: no games will be played and you'll learn nothing about how to manage the virus. You can always call it quits if it winds up being an insurmountable challenge. Fortune favors the bold.

I'm ecstatic that CFB is back. That Navy-Tulane game yesterday was outstanding.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
Big Dog
CALiforniALUM said:

Correct, then man up (mom-up?) and just say 'No, the unknowns are too great and therefore we are not allowing you to play for your own health and safety'. Period. (And allow anyone to transfer immediately to a conference that is playing.)
TomBear
I'm still missing something.....what about attendance? I would like to see some football at CMS, but am not at all sure what the situation regarding attendance is going to be.

And LMKS, you are so right.......that Navy game was fun! Go Navy!!!
75bear
TomBear said:

I'm still missing something.....what about attendance? I would like to see some football at CMS, but am not at all sure what the situation regarding attendance is going to be.

And LMKS, you are so right.......that Navy game was fun! Go Navy!!!

California doesn't allow fan attendance for pro sports, so they won't allow attendance for college games either.
Bearly Clad
Honestly I'd love to go to a game, but the best we're seeing is scattered fans in stadiums. Just let some big donors (that doesn't include me) in the boxes and call it a day. We're already waiting the OK from local officials to practice, there's no way they'll take a chance on community spread with fans in the stadium; especially when the CA NFL teams already announced no fans all season
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.