Story Poster
Photo by Pac-12
Cal Football

Football Schedule Released: Cal faces ASU in Crossover Game

October 3, 2020

The Pac-12 announced the abbreviated 2020 football schedule Saturday morning and in a mild surprise, Cal will play at Arizona State in their lone matchup with the South Division.  It was expected in many quarters that Cal’s scheduled game against the South would be either USC or UCLA. 

The Big Game will be the Friday after Thanksgiving, Nov. 27 in Berkeley. 

The Cal season opens at home against Washington on Nov. 7, followed by the trip to ASU on Nov. 14, at Oregon State Nov. 21, the Big Game on the 27th, Oregon at home Dec. 5, and at Washington State Dec. 12. Starting times and the television schedule will be announced later. Not playing one or both of the LA schools interrupts at least one of Cal’s longest rivalries. The matchups against USC began in 1912 and UCLA games date back to 1934.

The seventh game, a crossover matchup against a South the team the weekend of Dec. 18-19, will be announced that week. 

In a news release, Cal said: “Under current guidelines from both the state of California and the conference, no fans will be permitted to events on Pac-12 campuses out of health and safety concerns, although the policy will be revisited by the Pac-12 in January for future events should conditions allow.”

The conference schedule includes eight Friday games along with the Championship Game set to take place on a Friday evening.  The road team for the regular season Friday games is assured of a home game the preceding week.  Updated tie-breaking procedures for determining division champions and Football Championship Game participants for the 2020 season will be finalized in the near future.

Every game through the first six weeks of the season will be televised nationally by a combination of ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, Fox and FS1. Fox will televise the Football Championship game on Friday, Dec. 18. 

Cal’s 2020 Schedule

Sat., Nov. 7 – Washington*
Sat., Nov. 14 – at Arizona State*
Sat., Nov. 21 – at Oregon State*
Fri., Nov. 27 – Stanford*
Sat., Dec. 5 – Oregon*
Sat., Dec. 12 – at Washington State*
Fri., Dec. 18 – Pac-12 Championship Game presented by 76®
Home Games in bold .*Pac-12 Game;

Other stories:

Saffell Named Semifinalist For William V. Campbell Trophy

Position Preview Quarterbacks: Garbers Leads a Deep Group

Discussion from...

Football Schedule Released: Cal faces ASU in Crossover Game

22,633 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Blueblood
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So why is the pac12 network in existance?
Go Bears!
Bobodeluxe
oskidunker said:

Does it in fact exist if no one sees it?
71Bear
Disappointing but not surprising...

The league chose the SEC path of giving the two favorites an easy crossover game: SC v. WSU and UO v. UCLA while giving the next level teams, ASU and Cal a game against each other.

There has been a lot of criticism of the P12 in the past for not mirroring the SEC in its scheduling practices. I suspect this is the first step down that road.
chalcidbear
So, with no fans allowed in the stadium, how crowded will Tightwad Hill get?
Big Dog
Bobodeluxe said:

oskidunker said:

Does it in fact exist if no one sees it?
Will Larry get another bonus as the de (self-appointed) CEO of a major media company?
NVBear78
Why would Oregon's be the favorite in the North? They lost their QB from last year and with the defection of their LT all five offensive lineman.

And they recently lost their two CB's and their top Safety on D.
71Bear
NVBear78 said:

Why would Oregon's be the favorite in the North? They lost their QB from last year and with the defection of their LT all five offensive lineman.

The current AP poll lists one P12 team in the Top 25 - Oregon (14).

They are the favorite. Of course, whether they deserve that designation is another story. Fans are welcome to debate as they wish but they do not determine the favorite of the media.

Addendum: After posting the comments above, I went over to the The Athletic. Their top headline: USC-Arizona State, Oregon-Washington highlight new Pac-12 schedule.

Cal is an afterthought in the eyes of those who choose the favorites. Of course, that means absolutely nothing once the games begin to be played.
ferCALgm2
We got this.
Goobear
71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

They are the favorite. Of course, whether they deserve that designation is another story. Fans are welcome to debate as they wish but they do not determine the favorite of the media.

Addendum: After posting the comments above, I went over to the The Athletic. Their top headline: USC-Arizona State, Oregon-Washington highlight new Pac-12 schedule.

Cal is an afterthought in the eyes of those who chose the favorites. Of course, that means absolutely nothing once the games begin to be played.
Trust me Wilcox doesn't even see this stuff, even if he did he prefers to strike the stealthy way..
71Bear
Goobear said:

71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

Cal is an afterthought in the eyes of those who chose the favorites. Of course, that means absolutely nothing once the games begin to be played.
Trust me Wilcox doesn't even see this stuff, even if he did he prefers to strike the stealthy way..
I am well aware of that. Many fans take all the media stuff far too seriously. All that matters is what happens on the field. That is why I hate to see conferences "put their thumb of the scale" as the P12 did this morning.

LunchTime
Quote:

The matchups against USC began in 1912 and UCLA games date back to 1934.

sigh...
HoopDreams
what's the scouting report on ASU?
Bearly Clad

oskidunker
HoopDreams said:

Preseason picked 5th. Better than ging to usc.
Go Bears!
oobay
Bet they close off Tightwad Hill.
oskidunker
oobay said:

Ya think?
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
oobay said:

SOLUTION: hover this right above your season tix seats

wifeisafurd
Goobear said:

71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

They certainly did for division favorites Oregon and SC. But I think having the two "dark horse" teams, ASU and Cal, play a crossover game helps the winner get to a better bowl with a better SOS.
Richmondbear2
Call it a BLM Rally. Won't be able to keep us off the hill
heartofthebear
Richmondbear2 said:

Bear Lives Matter
AunBear89
Richmondbear2 said:

Call it a motorcycle rally or a Trump campaign event. We can pack people on the hill cheek to cheek.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Goobear said:

71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

They certainly did for division favorites Oregon and SC. But I think having the two "dark horse" teams, ASU and Cal, play a crossover game helps the winner get to a better bowl with a better SOS.
Exactly... While I disagree with the concept, it will definitely help the P12 move one of the teams into the playoffs and others into the favorites role in the better bowls.

wifeisafurd
HoopDreams said:

The Bears and Devils could very well be the second best team in each division on paper and will play each other. The Devils have to play SC and Cal, their two hardest games in the first two weeks, so conditioning and practice time will be important. ESPN has Cal at number 42 and ASU at 48, which means wining teams, but not top of their Division. Both have Good coaching, and are breaking in a new coordinator,.

ASU lost a good back and their best WR, both to the NFL. Daniels, like Garbers, is a good, experienced QB. The remaining starting WRs are big play kind of guys, not possession WRs. Whoever is the starring back is young so, Daniels probably runs even more.

They bring back a good defense, especially the LBs. The problem last year was the secondary, which gave up some big plays. The knock is they had a bad pass rush, more than the secondary is poor talent. But they are a defense first team. In many ways, they are similar to Cal, though Cal seems more experienced.
heartofthebear
HoopDreams said:

Top heavy on offense--meaning some good skill position esp. QB. but virtually no depth and OL was patched together with transfers.
Much more substantial on D.
ASU has recruited well this year and somewhat last year, but I don't think most of those guys are going to impact the depth chart much this season.

ASU is always over-rated by the media.
They have the capability every year of winning the division but they rarely do. Cal can beat them. But I think of this as a 50/50 game. Cal has the advantage of playing in Tempe without the crowd issue. And Cal has usually played well against ASU, winning in Tempe 4 out of 7 times this century.
I would say that Edwards has made them a bit tougher and a harder out, but they have gaps on their roster.
It's probably going to boil down to health.
And of course turnovers and penalties will have their usual impact.

This will probably be a game where winner has 24, maybe 27 points, which is low for college football these days.

Strykur
oobay said:

There are quite a few ways to get up there so even if they rope it off, it will be pretty easy to view a game.
71Bear
heartofthebear said:

HoopDreams said:

Top heavy on offense--meaning some good skill position esp. QB. but virtually no depth and OL was patched together with transfers.
ASU has recruited well this year and somewhat last year, but I don't think most of those guys are going to impact the depth chart much this season.

They have the capability every year of winning the division but they rarely do. Cal can beat them. But I think of this as a 50/50 game. Cal has the advantage of playing in Tempe without the crowd issue. And Cal has usually played well against ASU, winning in Tempe 4 out of 7 times this century.
I would say that Edwards has made them a bit tougher and a harder out, but they have gaps on their roster.

This will probably be a game where winner has 24, maybe 27 points, which is low for college football these days.

This year, the key for games the first couple weeks is who is more prepared to play. Cal is at a slight disadvantage since ASU players have been working out on their own since August.
Strykur
71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

HoopDreams said:

This year, the key for games the first couple weeks is who is more prepared to play. Cal is at a slight disadvantage since ASU players have been working out on their own since August.
Arizona State gets a rude start to their season with USC, so their season may be shot right out of the gate.
Big C
71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

HoopDreams said:

And the key for the whole season might be who can stay healthy. Even unlimited rapid-results testing is no panacea, as we've found out in the last few days.

This whole season will be one big asterisk. My hopes are just that we can get some games in, win most of those and that the virus doesn't get spread too much and nobody gets a really bad case of it. (That's in reverse order, pretty much.)
71Bear
Big C said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

HoopDreams said:

And the key for the whole season might be who can stay healthy. Even unlimited rapid-results testing is no panacea, as we've found out in the last few days.

This whole season will be one big asterisk. My hopes are just that we can get some games in, win most of those and that the virus doesn't get spread too much and nobody gets a really bad case of it. (That's in reverse order, pretty much.)
I agree. Quite frankly, every post made about the season comes with the unspoken hope that none of the players, coaches, staff test positive. Watching other games, it is a big concern because, for whatever reason, non-playing participants seem unable to wear a mask properly (covering the mouth and exposing the nose is not correct). I hope Wilcox sets a good example for his team......
GivemTheAxe
Goobear said:

71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

I don't expect much this year. We have lost some key players who transferred or went Pro before it was decided that there would be a season.
Plus Cal' strong point is it's defense. JW is a magician in getting 2* to play like 3*. And 3* to play like 4*. But that takes practice, practice, practice.
Plus Plus Cal has a new OC who hasn't had much time to install his new offense

Luckily we miss USC and Utah. ASU and Oregon will be tough enough but they are no USC and Utah. Would have loved to replace ASU with UA. But you can't have everything.
GivemTheAxe
Goobear said:

71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

azulviejo
chalcidbear said:

I was just thinking the same thing.
Or can The University, keep fans out of there?
Will there still be a canon?
BearSD
71Bear said:

Disappointing but not surprising...

The league chose the SEC path of giving the two favorites an easy crossover game: SC v. WSU and UO v. UCLA while giving the next level teams, ASU and Cal a game against each other.

There has been a lot of criticism of the P12 in the past for not mirroring the SEC in its scheduling practices. I suspect this is the first step down that road.
Looking at the schedule, one could argue that the Pac-12 office selected crossover games to protect UO and UW in the north and USC and UU in the south.
75bear
azulviejo said:

chalcidbear said:

Is a cannon PC during fire season?
BearSD
75bear said:

azulviejo said:

chalcidbear said:

Is a cannon PC during fire season?
Let the Berkeley neighborhood associations sue and then we'll find out.

They probably have a dozen sketchy lawsuits filed against the university at any given time anyway.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.