We are 0-3 and looking at 0-5, Wilcox is on the hot seat next year

15,296 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calumnus
Golden One
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chapman_is_Gone said:

It's amazing how much noise about 20 non-representative Cal fans can make on this board, the same types of Cal fans found aplenty in the gameday threads. Their venting is comical. And they frequently say the most effed up things about the program and the players in those threads. It's too bad the daylight never shines on their identities.

These folks are actually suggesting that Wilcox should have gone for two instead of attempting an extra point to tie the game. Can you IMAGINE the uproar had Wilcox done that and failed?

Wilcox will prove to be an excellent coach, and Cal is lucky to have him. These games shouldn't even be being played. These games reveal that our cultural priorities are out of order.

It's funny, when Cal goes out and hires Wyking Jones, a completely unqualified coach, a move that announces to the world that Cal is unwilling to spend what it takes to compete with its conference peers and sets the basketball program back AT LEAST five years, there was relatively little outcry. And now, most people seem content when the program returns to some ridiculously low bar like 9th place.

People are weird.

well, our football team is dead last in the conference right now, and is likely to end up there at the end of this abbreviated season. It's not obvious that Wilcox is head-coach material.
62bear
calumnus said:

heartofthebear said:

Trumpanzee said:

Should have gone for 2 instead of 1, at least we could say we were playing for the win.....

Nope.
The problem with that was that Furd had enough time to get into FG range and they would only be behind by 1 point so they could win with that FG. You go for 2 if it assures a win or establishes a tie needed to extend the game. You don't do it otherwise.

What Cal needed to do there was execute one of the most basic high percentage plays in football, the freakin' xtra point kick. They just couldn't get it done.

To think most folks were lamenting that covid ruined a potential rose bowl season for Cal.

Actually we're lucky to have covid to blame for what will hopefully be a season that, the memory of which, will be wiped out by a better campaign next year.

I was surprised at our taking low percentage shots at the end zone from midfield instead of continuing to march downfield eating clock for a final score. It is true that Shaw likely plays for the tie too.

However, given how Stanford overloaded one side, call time out and set up the fake FG run the opposite side for the win if they try it again.
I used to think the swinging gate was one of the stupidest gimmicks in college football but the kind of obvious overload by furd is why we should run that on any xp. This is the hill I choose to die on.
StarsDoMatter

"Wilcox will prove to be an excellent coach"

You sure about that? I mean, you're a "representative" cal fan right?! Lol
jy1988
To my mind, Wilcox is fine. I've long ago relegated this year to the dustbin of history and considered everything to be crap. This is not the kind of year to try and objectively judge coaching.
Kaworu
kirklandblue said:

For my part, I'll reiterate what has already been said by some here:
Wilcox is not, nor should be on any temperature of hot seat
He should be, but he won't be.
Big Dog
heartofthebear said:

Trumpanzee said:

Should have gone for 2 instead of 1, at least we could say we were playing for the win.....

Nope.
The problem with that was that Furd had enough time to get into FG range and they would only be behind by 1 point so they could win with that FG. You go for 2 if it assures a win or establishes a tie needed to extend the game. You don't do it otherwise.

What Cal needed to do there was execute one of the most basic high percentage plays in football, the freakin' xtra point kick. They just couldn't get it done.

To think most folks were lamenting that covid ruined a potential rose bowl season for Cal.

Actually we're lucky to have covid to blame for what will hopefully be a season that, the memory of which, will be wiped out by a better campaign next year.
Using your logic is why I go for two. It Cal kicks the XP and ties, "Furd had enough time to get into FG range and....they could win with that FG."

Being up by 1 puts the pressure on Stanford and Mills and our D to make a stop (which they'd have to do anyway in a tie game).....

IMO, the risk of going for two (given putrid special teams) is less than hoping for OT and then winning in OT (where again, the kicking games looms large).
dimitrig
Big Dog said:

heartofthebear said:

Trumpanzee said:

Nope.

Using your logic is why I go for two. It Cal kicks the XP and ties, "Furd had enough time to get into FG range and....they could win with that FG."

Being up by 1 puts the pressure on Stanford and Mills and our D to make a stop (which they'd have to do anyway in a tie game).....

IMO, the risk of going for two (given putrid special teams) is less than hoping for OT and then winning in OT (where again, the kicking games looms large).

The offense had been sputtering. I say go for the extra point.

Pretty doubtful they would have made a two point conversion. The average two-point conversion rate is about 40%. Cal's would probably be worse.

I like the odds going into overtime much better - I'd say at least 50%.

heartofthebear
Big Dog said:

heartofthebear said:

Trumpanzee said:

Nope.

The problem with our STs has not been FG kicking, which is the only part of STs needed in OT.
wifeisafurd
Golden One said:

wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

I doubt anyone is getting fired on account of this weird season.
I think you may see movement, but not at the head coach level. Musgrave needs an opportunity to implement his offense, Sirmon was hit by 2020 weirdness, TDR is a known commodity, the DBs are not to blame, the dine coach is a great recruiter and if Brett Johnson is an example, knows how to develop players, and the young oline look better than they should being thrown in there. The RB coach has developed depth. TEs and WRs really improving. Let's see, whose left out?
Wife, you're a perennial optimist and the best excuse-maker on the board. Face it, we have a bad football team that lost to another bad team today. We define the absolute bottom of the pac-12.I
This is really not the season to making decisions, but when you take away the mistakes, COVID outs, and all the other weirdness, when your a defense first team and you tend to win games by less than 14 points, you don't win games when your special teams are losing you double digit in points a game. Insufficient margin of error.
KoreAmBear
dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

heartofthebear said:

Trumpanzee said:

Nope.

Pretty doubtful they would have made a two point conversion. The average two-point conversion rate is about 40%. Cal's would probably be worse.

Sputtering? They just went 90 yards to bring it within 1.
dimitrig
KoreAmBear said:

dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

heartofthebear said:

Trumpanzee said:

Nope.

Sputtering? They just went 90 yards to bring it within 1.

Yeah, if you watched the entire game.
6956bear
oski003 said:

The play calling was fine. hard to win a ball control game when you fumble, muff a punt and lose the ball, and have two kicks blocked.

Cal lost by one point besides the turnovers, poor special teams, lack of practice, and missing linemen.

It is not the offensive play calling that lost the game. I observed bad play calling against UCLA, mediocre play calling against OSU, and good play calling today.
We watched a different game.
6956bear
dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

heartofthebear said:

Trumpanzee said:

Nope.

50%? The percentage of making an XP is over 90%. Most teams the XP is a near automatic.
socaliganbear
Wilcox is fine. That said, Ragle's unit has been consistently bad for years. Time for a demotion.
6956bear
wifeisafurd said:

Golden One said:

wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

I think you may see movement, but not at the head coach level. Musgrave needs an opportunity to implement his offense, Sirmon was hit by 2020 weirdness, TDR is a known commodity, the DBs are not to blame, the dine coach is a great recruiter and if Brett Johnson is an example, knows how to develop players, and the young oline look better than they should being thrown in there. The RB coach has developed depth. TEs and WRs really improving. Let's see, whose left out?
Wife, you're a perennial optimist and the best excuse-maker on the board. Face it, we have a bad football team that lost to another bad team today. We define the absolute bottom of the pac-12.I
This is really not the season to making decisions, but when you take away the mistakes, COVID outs, and all the other weirdness, when your a defense first team and you tend to win games by less than 14 points, you don't win games when your special teams are losing you double digit in points a game. Insufficient margin of error.
Not the season to make a HC change. But others? Yes. I will say that JW needs to own the offensive performance. Year 4 and the offense is still way below average. That has to change. The STs performance such as it is speaks for itself. Only at Cal would that level of performance be acceptable.
adujan
Strykur said:

Unless we beat Oregon (beating Washington State means nothing) the heat is on. ***le needs to be fired tonight, what is the point of his recruiting if he can't even correct overload penetration on an extra point that had already resulted in a blocked kick.
There have been a lot of nonsensical overreaction posts on Bearinsiders, but this gets my vote for the most nonsensical overreaction.

Cal under Wilcox has improved every year. Going into the year 2020, he seemed to be building a program for the long haul. Yes, our offense those first three years was bad, but he made a change for this year. Then Covid hit and everything blew up. Barring a scandal, Wilcox's seat isn't remotely warm nor should it be. If things are normal in 2021 and we have a bad season, then his seat gets hot for 2022 (especially with his contract expiring in 2023).

We should be 2-1. The UCLA game was awful and we got destroyed. We outplayed OSU and Stanfurd, despite our defensive and offensive lines being majorly impacted by Covid restrictions. I know, I know - we lost both games. It hurts as a fan and I am sure it hurts even more for the players. We need to address the special teams issues immediately and stress to the players the importance of minimizing mistakes. Remigio's muffed punt is not on the ST coach. And Lancy's fumble is not on Musgrave or the RB coach. Those are senior players that need to protect the ball.

Without knowing the impact of personnel, I am also not ready to call for the ST coach's head. We have three blocked kicks in two weeks, but how many ST linemen are out? Are they even able to properly practice?

While being 0-3 is brutal (as a fan), I am glad the kids get a chance to play and hopefully they turn it around.
socaliganbear
wifeisafurd said:

Golden One said:

wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

Thing is, the special teams debacle is not some mystical event that's happening *to* Justin. He's a part, a major one, of continuing to employ someone who should really be a glorified recruiting coordinator at ST coach.

This is years in the making, and Justin is behind it.
LMK5
Were the blocked kicks a problem with the kicker unable to elevate the ball or the line allowing penetration? In either case, Cal had this problem last season and resulted in Wilcox going for it on 4th and short instead of kicking the FG. https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/92648/replies/1690201
In any event this should have been a high priority fix for this season, Covid or not.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
Rushinbear
westcoast101 said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

Strykur said:

Unless we beat Oregon (beating Washington State means nothing) the heat is on. ***le needs to be fired tonight, what is the point of his recruiting if he can't even correct overload penetration on an extra point that had already resulted in a blocked kick.
Our Special Teams needs a change immediately. I think Wilcox has rope left since it's such a weird season but people should demand to see change at ST immediately. I don't think you can chalk that up to COVID weirdness. It's just ineptitude.

Last year, everyone was saying that we just needed to dump Baldwin and everything would be fine. Our offense looks like dog crap this year. Maybe the coordinators aren't the problem?
I disagree. The O has improved each game. That was a 27 point effort yesterday. You can begin to see how it is designed and I think it's an approach that will be good for us - burn a little clock with run and short/medium passes.

The guys are learning it fast. I'm anxious to see how we do against UO next week. I'm taking this whole autumn as spring practice - new offense, lotsa guys out, trying guys like Moore who otherwise might not get that much playing time in season.

I join everyone else in saying that there's something very wrong in ST.
oski003
Rushinbear said:

westcoast101 said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

Strykur said:

Our Special Teams needs a change immediately. I think Wilcox has rope left since it's such a weird season but people should demand to see change at ST immediately. I don't think you can chalk that up to COVID weirdness. It's just ineptitude.

Last year, everyone was saying that we just needed to dump Baldwin and everything would be fine. Our offense looks like dog crap this year. Maybe the coordinators aren't the problem?
I disagree. The O has improved each game. That was a 27 point effort yesterday. You can begin to see how it is designed and I think it's an approach that will be good for us - burn a little clock with run and short/medium passes.

The guys are learning it fast. I'm anxious to see how we do against UO next week. I'm taking this whole autumn as spring practice - new offense, lotsa guys out, trying guys like Moore who otherwise might not get that much playing time in season.

I join everyone else in saying that there's something very wrong in ST.

oski003
LMK5 said:

Were the blocked kicks a problem with the kicker unable to elevate the ball or the line allowing penetration? In either case, Cal had this problem last season and resulted in Wilcox going for it on 4th and short instead of kicking the FG. https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/92648/replies/1690201
In any event this should have been a high priority fix for this season, Covid or not.

D line penetration. not kicker's fault.
Big Dog
heartofthebear said:

Big Dog said:

heartofthebear said:

Trumpanzee said:

Nope.

The problem with our STs has not been FG kicking, which is the only part of STs needed in OT.
Umm, didn't we miss a FG to end the first half? Wasn't the kicking game suspect last year?
StarsDoMatter
socaliganbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Golden One said:

wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

Thing is, the special teams debacle is not some mystical event that's happening *to* Justin. He's a part, a major one, of continuing to employ someone who should really be a glorified recruiting coordinator at ST coach.

This is years in the making, and Justin is behind it.

Exactly, so many people on here want to just give wilcox a pass. Who hired charlie ragle in 2017? Who assigned him to special teams coach? These were wilcox decisions. He's ultimately responsible, and shouldn't just "get a pass".
LunchTime
Oregon lost to Oregon State.

Everyone placing any weight on this season should think a little harder.

Let's be serious: the absolute biggest failure coaching (and really, the only one that actually exists outside the simpleton fans mind) this season is that we didn't assign living situations in a way that a single positive test wouldn't obliterate a position group, or even a number of starters. Play calling is absolutely fine (7 YPC and morons here are crying about too many runs). ST is atrocious, but that seems to be Cal, for three coaches and how many ADs? 4 or 5? Our former ST coaches go on to do much better elsewhere. Maybeeeee our decades of NFL longsnappers and kickers was the nut, and its gone now.

Everything else is just working with an insane compressed anything-can-happen-season.
dimitrig
6956bear said:

dimitrig said:

Big Dog said:

heartofthebear said:

Trumpanzee said:

Nope.

50%? The percentage of making an XP is over 90%. Most teams the XP is a near automatic.

50% chance of winning the game, not of making the extra point.
sycasey
LunchTime said:

Let's be serious: the absolute biggest failure coaching (and really, the only one that actually exists outside the simpleton fans mind) this season is that we didn't assign living situations in a way that a single positive test wouldn't obliterate a position group, or even a number of starters. Play calling is absolutely fine (7 YPC and morons here are crying about too many runs). ST is atrocious, but that seems to be Cal, for three coaches and how many ADs? 4 or 5? Our former ST coaches go on to do much better elsewhere. Maybeeeee our decades of NFL longsnappers and kickers was the nut, and its gone now.

Everything else is just working with an insane compressed anything-can-happen-season.
I also suspect that the depth issues brought by having entire lines out all at once are affecting special teams as well. Clearly blocking has been poor on punts and placekicks. While they haven't been great, ST have not been THIS bad under the same coaching staff before. Something else is going on.
StarsDoMatter
LunchTime said:

The "simpleton fans" you are referring too are just asking for a competent kicker to make an XP to tie the big game. Covid or not, this isn't much to ask from out staff.
OceanBeachBear
You can't separate the depth problems on this team from the coaching staff. At this point, nearly all of Cal's players are JW recruits. Yet, somehow the defense has steadily lost talent and become less effective. Though the offense has improved, it still is nowhere near the top of the Pac 12. I love the 2021 class (if we can hold it), but it should not have taken 4 years to put together a solid class. The opt-outs, injuries, and COVID positives this season were unlucky, but would not have destroyed a deeper team. I still like JW and the direction of the program, but this season is not a fluke.
OceanBeachBear
You can't separate the depth problems on this team from the coaching staff. At this point, nearly all of Cal's players are JW recruits. Yet, somehow the defense has steadily lost talent and become less effective. Though the offense has improved, it still is nowhere near the top of the Pac 12. I love the 2021 class (if we can hold it), but it should not have taken 4 years to put together a solid class. The opt-outs, injuries, and COVID positives this season were unlucky, but would not have destroyed a deeper team. I still like JW and the direction of the program, but this season is not a fluke.
Mikeman
Changing the focus somewhat perhaps... believe the Hairball era is over at Michigan
KoreAmBear
Unit3IdaSproul said:

This season is hard to explain, but yah so far Wilcox has not done anything yet for us to think we want him here for a decade, unless 8-5 and a minor bowl victory is our penultimate goal.
Big C

Wilcox isn't the lame-o people have been portraying him as the last couple of weeks, just as he wasn't a near-deity a year ago. Get some perspective, people.
Chapman_is_Gone
KoreAmBear said:

Unit3IdaSproul said:

This season is hard to explain, but yah so far Wilcox has not done anything yet for us to think we want him here for a decade, unless 8-5 and a minor bowl victory is our penultimate goal.
That is our penultimate goal! And our ultimate goal is the national championship!!!
AunBear89
You are the worst fan in the history of sports. Really awful. I'd hate to be anywhere near you during a game. Such a crybaby.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
sycasey
Big C said:

Wilcox isn't the lame-o people have been portraying him as the last couple of weeks, just as he wasn't a near-deity a year ago. Get some perspective, people.

Sports fan memories are always very short.
Big Dog
StarsDoMatter said:

LunchTime said:

The "simpleton fans" you are referring too are just asking for a competent kicker to make an XP to tie the big game. Covid or not, this isn't much to ask from out staff.
I ran the video several times on that PAT, and while our kicker can be low, this miss is mostly on the OL. Stanford over-loaded their left, our right. Booker, a 6'4" DE lined up in the gap between center and right guard. As the right side was over-loaded, upon the snap, the right guard turned his focus to his right, leaving Booker with an easy swim move to split the center-guard gap; he was barely touched at the line, much less blocked. Booker was 2+ yards deep when the ball was kicked.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.