Bears vs Beavers Game Thread (3.0)

10,209 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Big C
drizzlybear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HoopDreams said:

this team is just so frustratingly close to beat the bottom half of the conference on a regular basis, and doing so would mean Cal would be in the top half of the conference (although not top 4)

I keep thinking that we just need players to make a play, but it's not happening, except for Bradley and Kelly.

Brown had several chances to be that guy at the end of games, but over penetrated or been out of control, and turned the ball over multiple times. That is a disaster in crunch time. Your point guard is suppose to be your most reliable player with the ball, and is supported to settle everyone else down when things get frantic

We've had countless open looks from 3, from our 'shooters' which I'm saying is Foreman, Betley, Grant (tier 1) and Hyder, Celestine (tier 2) and 2K and Bowser (tier 3).

I'm not including Bradley (tier 1) above, because he's clutch.

How many times do we hear an opposing team's bench player "hitting his first 3", or 'hitting only his second three and a 26% 3 point shooter?

How many times has the ball just rolled off (Celestine) or a 14 foot open jumper hitting front rim (Grant, and everyone else who shot it there vs UW)

Collectively it feels to me like confidence. Besides Bradley and Kelly, and maybe Celestine, our confidence seems to be wavering. Betley's confidence is completely shot. You can not explain his poor shooting as only better defenders. He's getting plenty of open looks. The result of players losing confidence is playing tentative, not wanting to take the big shot, and just not making plays in critical times of the game.

Can an offseason help that?

Yes, as experience should help players be more confident, but shooters sometimes go through cold spells no matter how experienced they are

My theory about Grant is that he looks tired. I think he has shot much better in the past than he has been since his outlier 5-5 game. Yesterday he was active and scoring early, but then faded.
HearstMining
Alkiadt said:

Big C said:

bearchamp said:

Two points: Bradley got his shot blocked by a guy who won't make the league, and Thiemann has improved a ton, particularly on defense. He is starting to anticipate the play and is, thus, avoiding screens and being late to the boards. Lots of improvement to come.

Yes, I actually think one of our best chances to be decent next season is Thiemann taking that next step. Partly because it's not at all uncommon for a big to improve in his 3rd season... and partly because his is a huge position of need for us. Now, if one of the PGs could do that, too...
Thiemann has the worst hands of any Cal center I have watched. And I have been watching since the early 60's.
He can't catch, or hold on to anything.
This is true. I know football wide-receivers have various drills to improve their hand-eye coordination. Maybe something like that would help Lars. I assume we'll be watching him for at least two more years, so I sure hope there's some improvement.
oskidunker
Fox needs to back off in practice if the guys are too tired to make shots in games. When Grant was out for a few weeks he was spit on.
Go Bears!
HearstMining
HoopDreams said:

this team is just so frustratingly close to beat the bottom half of the conference on a regular basis, and doing so would mean Cal would be in the top half of the conference (although not top 4)

I keep thinking that we just need players to make a play, but it's not happening, except for Bradley and Kelly.

Brown had several chances to be that guy at the end of games, but over penetrated or been out of control, and turned the ball over multiple times. That is a disaster in crunch time. Your point guard is suppose to be your most reliable player with the ball, and is supported to settle everyone else down when things get frantic

We've had countless open looks from 3, from our 'shooters' which I'm saying is Foreman, Betley, Grant (tier 1) and Hyder, Celestine (tier 2) and 2K and Bowser (tier 3).

How many times do we hear an opposing team's bench player "hitting his first 3", or 'hitting only his second three and a 26% 3 point shooter?

How many times has the ball just rolled off (Celestine) or a 14 foot open jumper hitting front rim (Grant, and everyone else who shot it there vs UW)

Collectively it feels to me like confidence. Besides Bradley and Kelly, and maybe Celestine, our confidence seems to be wavering. Betley's confidence is completely shot. You can not explain his poor shooting as only better defenders. He's getting plenty of open looks. The result of players losing confidence is playing tentative, not wanting to take the big shot, and just not making plays in critical times of the game.

Yes, as experience should help players be more confident, but shooters sometimes go through cold spells no matter how experienced they are

Coming from the Ivy League, I think Betley is used to having another 10th of a second to get his shot off and that's not happening against Pac12 teams. I think he's smart, tough, a good rebounder, but just not athletic enough and needs a bit more time to get his shot off. I was not impressed with the very first game of the year against OSU, then he played well against the OOC teams and I got my hopes up. But really, he's largely disappeared against Pac12 opponents - only four games of 10pts or more.

But I do have my hopes for Hyder. He needs to improve his vision - you can tell when he makes up his mind he's going to look for a shot regardless of who is open. And his handle is too loose. But with maturity and practice, those things can be fixed.
MoragaBear
Staff
The announcers misspoke. Bradley plans to be back next season.
Big C
HearstMining said:

HoopDreams said:

Coming from the Ivy League, I think Betley is used to having another 10th of a second to get his shot off and that's not happening against Pac12 teams. I think he's smart, tough, a good rebounder, but just not athletic enough and needs a bit more time to get his shot off. I was not impressed with the very first game of the year against OSU, then he played well against the OOC teams and I got my hopes up. But really, he's largely disappeared against Pac12 opponents - only four games of 10pts or more.

But I do have my hopes for Hyder. He needs to improve his vision - you can tell when he makes up his mind he's going to look for a shot regardless of who is open. And his handle is too loose. But with maturity and practice, those things can be fixed.

Hyder compares (maybe) to Prentice McGruder, who transferred to Cal from JC and had his first (and only) good season as a senior. There is some hope for these freshmen and sophomores.
HoopDreams
MoragaBear said:

that is very good news

with bradley, kelly and grant returning there is hope
Civil Bear
Big C said:

HearstMining said:

HoopDreams said:

Hyder compares (maybe) to Prentice McGruder, who transferred to Cal from JC and had his first (and only) good season as a senior. There is some hope for these freshmen and sophomores.
I would say Brown is the better comparison to McGruder, who couldn't shoot a lick but had vastly more tallented players to distribute the ball to.
Civil Bear
Alkiadt said:

Big C said:

bearchamp said:

Two points: Bradley got his shot blocked by a guy who won't make the league, and Thiemann has improved a ton, particularly on defense. He is starting to anticipate the play and is, thus, avoiding screens and being late to the boards. Lots of improvement to come.

Yes, I actually think one of our best chances to be decent next season is Thiemann taking that next step. Partly because it's not at all uncommon for a big to improve in his 3rd season... and partly because his is a huge position of need for us. Now, if one of the PGs could do that, too...
Thiemann has the worst hands of any Cal center I have watched. And I have been watching since the early 60's.
For me, it had always been Nick HandsOfStone, er, VanderLann. Until now.

NathanAllen
Staff
HoopDreams said:

MoragaBear said:

that is very good news

All this said, I want to put it out here now so fans don't have a meltdown when it likely does happen: Bradley should absolutely put his name in the draft pool, obviously not sign with an agent, go through the evaluations, and then pull his name back out before the deadline.

I have no inside knowledge or know if this will be the plan. But for someone like Bradley, who will make money to play hoops someday, it'd be a very logical decision to go through the evaluation this year and get the feedback for what he needs to work on his senior season.
drizzlybear
Big C said:

HearstMining said:

HoopDreams said:

I've always seen Brown as the potential reincarnation of Prentice McGruder, and I've seen them both in the mold of Rajon Rondo: long and wiry, ultra quick and able to penetrate at will, can't shoot a lick, but supreme at finding teammates for great looks especially off penetration. I do not see Hyder as that style of PG. I'm not sure Hyder has the body/athleticism to be an effective P12 PG, nor the shot to offset that. Of course, I'm also not sure Brown can develop into that McGruder level of play, but he has the potential, given his body/athleticism and pass-first mentality.

Edit: Civil Bear, I just saw your post and realize I pretty much duplicated it (right down to "can't shoot a lick"). My bad.
Dduster
Fox hit the nail on the head, "this is not a smart basketball team". Bears need players who know how to play, not stand around and look confused.
drizzlybear
Dduster said:

Fox hit the nail on the head, "this is not a smart basketball team". Bears need players who know how to play, not stand around and look confused.

When did he say that? I don't necessarily disagree, but I think only a not smart coach (and Mike Leach) would publicly say his players are not smart.
joe amos yaks
C Thiemann has small hands. He can't grip the ball with one hand. The rest is about coaching, not physiology.
Dduster
Watch the post-game interview video from latest game. This team does not know how to play winning basketball. Too many instances of having the ball in the the hands of the 'hot' player then who losses the ball. All teams have effort, It's the results that count.
BeachedBear
NathanAllen said:

HoopDreams said:

MoragaBear said:

that is very good news

All this said, I want to put it out here now so fans don't have a meltdown when it likely does happen: Bradley should absolutely put his name in the draft pool, obviously not sign with an agent, go through the evaluations, and then pull his name back out before the deadline.

I have no inside knowledge or know if this will be the plan. But for someone like Bradley, who will make money to play hoops someday, it'd be a very logical decision to go through the evaluation this year and get the feedback for what he needs to work on his senior season.
Completely agree. That is simply smart career planning these days for a top player. I'm glad the NBA and NCAA allow this vs the old days, when a player was not able to get any sense or feedback without sacrificing his career.
SFCityBear
Alkiadt said:

Big C said:

bearchamp said:

Rooks and Okoroh would be in my top 5.
SFCityBear
HoopDreams
Two scores by betley, nice drive by Celestine

Jalen is a keeper
Big C

NOTE: This is the Oregon St thread from the other night. (Aack! So why did I just bump it back to the top?)
SFCityBear
drizzlybear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

HoopDreams said:

I've always seen Brown as the potential reincarnation of Prentice McGruder, and I've seen them both in the mold of Rajon Rondo: long and wiry, ultra quick and able to penetrate at will, can't shoot a lick, but supreme at finding teammates for great looks especially off penetration. I do not see Hyder as that style of PG. I'm not sure Hyder has the body/athleticism to be an effective P12 PG, nor the shot to offset that. Of course, I'm also not sure Brown can develop into that McGruder level of play, but he has the potential, given his body/athleticism and pass-first mentality.

Edit: Civil Bear, I just saw your post and realize I pretty much duplicated it (right down to "can't shoot a lick"). My bad.
With his speed and quickness, Brown can get by his man almost any time he wants, but he has great difficulty penetrating past secondary defenders. He seldom can get past them and get all the way to the rim, and often is tied up and looses the ball, or is forced to take an awkward shot. His few shots in the paint are prayers. And when he gets double-teamed he seldom sees the open teammate. He almost never gets an assist off a penetration. His assists from the perimeter are sometimes spectacular but risky cross-court bounce passes. His perimeter shooting is unorthodox but promising, and if the sample size were larger with the same results, I might want him shooting more from outside, than having him drive and turn the ball over to an opponent. I'd say that on the perimeter he has a pass first mentality, and in the paint he has a shoot first mentality, which is the opposite of what a good point guard has. I like him defensively, but he has a far piece to go to be a serviceable point guard leading an offense, let alone be another Prentice McGruder.
SFCityBear
HoopDreams
That was a foul !!!
Big C
drizzlybear
SFCityBear said:

drizzlybear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

HoopDreams said:

With his speed and quickness, Brown can get by his man almost any time he wants, but he has great difficulty penetrating past secondary defenders. He seldom can get past them and get all the way to the rim, and often is tied up and looses the ball, or is forced to take an awkward shot. His few shots in the paint are prayers. And when he gets double-teamed he seldom sees the open teammate. He almost never gets an assist off a penetration. His assists from the perimeter are sometimes spectacular but risky cross-court bounce passes. His perimeter shooting is unorthodox but promising, and if the sample size were larger with the same results, I might want him shooting more from outside, than having him drive and turn the ball over to an opponent. I'd say that on the perimeter he has a pass first mentality, and in the paint he has a shoot first mentality, which is the opposite of what a good point guard has. I like him defensively, but he has a far piece to go to be a serviceable point guard leading an offense, let alone be another Prentice McGruder.

I agree with some of that, but, as was mentioned in the initial post on the McGruder comparison (to Hyder), it's worth remembering that McGruder didn't become McGruder until his senior season. My point is not that Brown is there now, but that his fundamental attributes are similar to McGruder's, and I'm hopeful he develops into that player. I actually don't have a lot of confidence in Brown developing a perimeter shooting ability because his form looks so bad, and too many of his misses are WAY off, and his FT shooting is so poor.
Big C
drizzlybear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

HoopDreams said:

A note about Prentice McGruder: His first two years after HS, he was at a JC. The year after that (first year at Cal), he scored 2.5 ppg and dished out 2.6 apg. He finally broke out in '96-'97, averaging 5.1 ppg and 6.4 apg (that last number must've been at or near the top of the Pac 10).

My point being, Prentice McGruder "wasn't Prentice McGruder" until his senior year, so there might well still be hope for both Brown and Hyder! (and, yes, I had to look up those McGruder stats)
drizzlybear
Big C said:

drizzlybear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

HoopDreams said:

A note about Prentice McGruder: His first two years after HS, he was at a JC. The year after that (first year at Cal), he scored 2.5 ppg and dished out 2.6 apg. He finally broke out in '96-'97, averaging 5.1 ppg and 6.4 apg (that last number must've been at or near the top of the Pac 10).

My point being, Prentice McGruder "wasn't Prentice McGruder" until his senior year, so there might well still be hope for both Brown and Hyder! (and, yes, I had to look up those McGruder stats)

Ok, that's literally the exact point I just made in the post right before yours. Great minds?

Also, Hyder will never be a McGruder-type of PG. Hyder might turn out to be a fine PG (I'm not optimistic), but he has a completely different body (not nearly as long, quick, nor as athletic) and a completely different game. McGruder took a shot once every 7.5 minutes of playing time his senior year. Hyder, who is only a sophomore, and joined a new team mid-season, takes a shot every 3 minutes. And Hyder is 8 times more likely to shoot a 3 as was McGruder, and Hyder gets an assist half as frequently.

I'm not saying that's a terrible thing for Hyder that he's different from McGruder. I loved McGruder, but it's mostly because I loved that '96-'97 team, and PMc's style and abilities fit that team to a T. It's not as though PMc was Cal's best PG ever, nor anywhere close (JK, Jorge, Jerome, KJ, Keith Smith, even Cobbs were all better, just off the top of my head). And again, Hyder might turn out to be an effective PG for Cal. But his style of PG will never be like Prentice McGruder's. Brown, on the other hand . . ..
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

drizzlybear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

HoopDreams said:

1. People are giving up on Brown too soon. I agree about the potential comparisons to McGruder, though some of that is just acknowledging he is a poor shooter. (he's actually a better shooter than McGruder) I don't think he will top out as high as McGruder, but he could.
2. Brown is going to be the PG next year and probably the year after.
3. I have to give a caveat on McGruder. He was the best pg on the team his junior year. He dished 2.6 assists a game in 17 minutes which is pretty good if you translate to starter's minutes - not that far below his senior averages - and he was playing for a coach that wasn't. His minutes were that low because the coach was playing the former high school All American who sucked for reasons that may or may not have had to do with basketball and/or fed ex packages. I don't think he made as big a jump his senior year as stats would imply.
BearlyCareAnymore
HoopDreams said:

MoragaBear said:

that is very good news

I'm sorry to say this, but getting the Covid-eligible players back next year is not a good thing. They are marginally better than the guys behind them (if that) and are going to take up the minutes that naturally would go to develop those guys. Optimally it is time for the next group to step up or not. We are not going to be significantly better with or without the guys who would normally have to move on. I appreciate their contribution and of course if they are eligible we keep a spot for them and play them according to who is performing the best. I just don't think it is a positive development. I think it will continue to stunt our growth.
Civil Bear
OaktownBear said:

I agree about the potential comparisons to McGruder, though some of that is just acknowledging he is a poor shooter. (he's actually a better shooter than McGruder)

Can't say I agree. Yeah Brown has banked in a couple of threes and has a decent 3pt % on a very low sample size, but the free-throw shooting says otherwise.
Big C

Yeah, we have a glut of mediocre players on the roster right now and, the older they are, the less likely they will ever progress from mediocre to "pretty good". This year's sophomores, I still have some hope for, especially since they didn't get to have good developmental off-seasons last year.

March to September is going to be huge, as the Fox program tries to salvage things.
BearlyCareAnymore
Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

I agree about the potential comparisons to McGruder, though some of that is just acknowledging he is a poor shooter. (he's actually a better shooter than McGruder)

Can't say I agree. Yeah Brown has banked in a couple of threes and has a decent 3pt % on a very low sample size, but the free-throw shooting says otherwise.

His overall shooting percentage is significantly better than McGruder. I loved Prentice, but he was a terrible shooter

Edit: In McGruder's senior season he took 4.1 shots per game and made 36.5%. This year Brown has taken 4.1 per game also, but has made 46.7%. Yes, there is a big differential on FT shooting, To be clear, when I said shooter I meant purely percentage of shots that go in, not differentiating between jump shots, drives, etc. Maybe it is more accurate to say scorer. Bottom line, when Brown attempts to score, he succeeds at a much higher rate than McGruder.
stu
OaktownBear said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

His overall shooting percentage is significantly better than McGruder. I loved Prentice, but he was a terrible shooter
Brown reminds me of Eliza Pierre, though I think she was better all around. She was an awesome defender who couldn't shoot but could bring the ball up, penetrate, and pass effectively.
SFCityBear
Big C said:

drizzlybear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

HoopDreams said:

I was unable to see McGruder play all his games in person, but I did see a fair amount in '96, less in '97, due to a serious illness in my family. My impression was that McGruder was an outstanding defender, not known as much for his offensive skills as a point guard, even his best offensive year. The statistics we are able to look up easily only tell us how good a player's offense was, and almost nothing about his defense. In '96, Jelani Gardner was still the Cal point guard, after having a good freshman season. Bozeman was not a coach who had much respect for defense. He respected star power, which meant offensive production. The fact that McGruder did get to start a few games in '96 may have been due to the fact that Jelani was diagnosed with kidney disease, and it may have affected his play, which had dropped off offensively from '95. He dropped out of Cal due to the illness at or before the season ended. After Bozeman was fired, Braun took over a roster in '97 where the best choice to start for point guard was McGruder. And as Braun respected defense more than did Bozeman, it worked out very well for Braun and Cal to have McGruder leading the team on the floor, at both ends of the floor.

When we fans talk here about how good a player and his abilities are, we tend to talk primarily, maybe 95% of the time, only about his offensive skills and production, often leaving out the defensive side, which is 50% of the game, give or take a percent or two. Prentice McGruder was a whale of a defensive player, and he was likely a very good defender before he signed with Cal. I doubt that he learned to play defense under Bozeman or even under Braun.

I haven't been impressed yet with Hyder's defense (or his offense) and need to see him more. Brown is an excellent on ball defender. I'd like to see him take a few less risks, but sometimes a steal is worth the risk. He has the defensive ability to start on even a good team. Even as a junior, McGruder did not hurt his team on offense. Brown's offensive ability I worry about, not so much his shooting, but his mind set, his sense of where his teammates are, and the decisions he makes, leading to steals, turnovers, and missed shots, costing his team some buckets. Hopefully it is fixable.

SFCityBear
Civil Bear
OaktownBear said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Edit: In McGruder's senior season he took 4.1 shots per game and made 36.5%. This year Brown has taken 4.1 per game also, but has made 46.7%. Yes, there is a big differential on FT shooting, To be clear, when I said shooter I meant purely percentage of shots that go in, not differentiating between jump shots, drives, etc. Maybe it is more accurate to say scorer. Bottom line, when Brown attempts to score, he succeeds at a much higher rate than McGruder.
Yes, Brown may make an extra basket every couple of games, and you may have meant Brown was a better scorer when you said he was a better shooter than McGruder, but I was talking about shooting when I said neither could shoot a lick.

Regardless, if I had to have the ball in either players' hands with the game on the line I would pick McGruder at this stage. Not necessarily because he was a better distributer, but because any team in their right mind should just foul Brown ala Hack-a-Shack.
Big C
SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

drizzlybear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

HoopDreams said:

I was unable to see McGruder play all his games in person, but I did see a fair amount in '96, less in '97, due to a serious illness in my family. My impression was that McGruder was an outstanding defender, not known as much for his offensive skills as a point guard, even his best offensive year. The statistics we are able to look up easily only tell us how good a player's offense was, and almost nothing about his defense. In '96, Jelani Gardner was still the Cal point guard, after having a good freshman season. Bozeman was not a coach who had much respect for defense. He respected star power, which meant offensive production. The fact that McGruder did get to start a few games in '96 may have been due to the fact that Jelani was diagnosed with kidney disease, and it may have affected his play, which had dropped off offensively from '95. He dropped out of Cal due to the illness at or before the season ended. After Bozeman was fired, Braun took over a roster in '97 where the best choice to start for point guard was McGruder. And as Braun respected defense more than did Bozeman, it worked out very well for Braun and Cal to have McGruder leading the team on the floor, at both ends of the floor.

When we fans talk here about how good a player and his abilities are, we tend to talk primarily, maybe 95% of the time, only about his offensive skills and production, often leaving out the defensive side, which is 50% of the game, give or take a percent or two. Prentice McGruder was a whale of a defensive player, and he was likely a very good defender before he signed with Cal. I doubt that he learned to play defense under Bozeman or even under Braun.

I haven't been impressed yet with Hyder's defense (or his offense) and need to see him more. Brown is an excellent on ball defender. I'd like to see him take a few less risks, but sometimes a steal is worth the risk. He has the defensive ability to start on even a good team. Even as a junior, McGruder did not hurt his team on offense. Brown's offensive ability I worry about, not so much his shooting, but his mind set, his sense of where his teammates are, and the decisions he makes, leading to steals, turnovers, and missed shots, costing his team some buckets. Hopefully it is fixable.

Wow, I don't remember EVER hearing about Jelani Gardner's kidney disease. My recollection of his departure was that it was more based on a sack of cash, or lack thereof.

Yeah, McGruder was a good defender and a good "game manager" on offense.

I'm not sure Bozeman "respected" offense over defense. In fact, I think he really had his players getting after it on both ends of the court. The problem was, his only "trick" was to get the players to "play hard". If we won, it was because we "played hard". If we lost: "My players didn't play hard." A recruiter and a motivator (and a cheater), but not really a coach, per se. Just my recollection.

Anyway, there are plenty of instances of Cal PGs getting substantially better after two years. Two examples that come to mind are Ayinde Ubaka and Keith Smith. Hoping for the best for Brown and Hyder. That's all we can do, at this point.
drizzlybear
SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

drizzlybear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

HoopDreams said:

I agree with much of that. I assume people are taking about all of a player's attributes, definitely including defense. I know I do. Also, McGruder averaged like 6+ assists per game. That's a huge offensive weapon. I'm not sure how many PG's we've had at that level.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.