Fox is now officially on the clock.

21,888 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calumnus
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
it seems to really bother some people that 100% of everyone does not agree with them, and not just directionally, but agree with everything point for point

shouting, yelling, belittling, bullying them until the last person is beat into submission

Bobodeluxe
Why do YOU hate America?
Big C
socaltownie said:

Well yogi still owes me 20 cause he took the over on Jones's second year

Wasn't that Moraga Bear that took you up on that?
calumnus
BearSD said:

LateHit said:

Eventually he is not going to be able to imply that he is fixing something somebody else broke.
This is absolutely something that somebody else broke. The question is whether Fox is going to be the one to fix it.

Then Fox is breaking it more.
calumnus
concordtom said:

BigDaddy said:

ClayK said:

As always, the question is this: If you fire the coach, can you hire someone better?

If not, it's pointless, confusing activity with achievement.

If you are sure you have a better candidate available, then the other questions come into play: Can you afford the process financially? How will it affect current players and recruits? What do the big donors think?

For me, step one is identifying the coach you want, and I certainly don't know enough to pick one out. And from the discussions I've seen on this board, I'm not sure anyone does.

Can Cal hire someone better than Mark Fox? Absolutely. As has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread, Fox has done nothing of note as a head coach, outside of a short run at Nevada with an inherited roster. Hew did nothing in the SEC while at Georgia.

As an AD, coming up with candidates should be easy. A short list would include:

Pro Ranks

Jason Kidd: Best player in Cal history, HOF'er and former NBA head coach/assistant. He would energize the program, fan base and recruiting.

College Head Coaches

Brian Dutcher, San Diego State
Randy Bennett, St. Mary's
Joe Pasternack, UC Santa Barbara
Travis DeCuire, Montana
Shantay Legans, Eastern Washington (just took Portland job)
Dennis Gates, Cleveland State

College Assistants: :

Jason Hart, USC
Brian Michaelson, Gonzaga
Michael Lewis, UCLA
David Velasquez, San Diego State

That's 11 guys who would all be an upgrade over what Cal basketball has now.

Pasternack is DQ'd for kicking Jorge Gutierez

Wilcox hired Tosh away from us and then stole Shaq Thompson for his defense. We got over it. If Pasternak were really the best coach for Cal I could be convinced. Certainly if you asked me at the time I would have taken him over Fox, along with about 100 other candidates.
calumnus
drizzlybear said:

stu said:

drizzlybear said:

So, yes, to the extent Fox's situation is even remotely comparable to the Holmoe situation, the evidence points to the better approach being to follow the exact same course as Cal did in the Holmoe situation.
Why didn't we do that in the Jones situation?

Jones was something of a promotional interim hire, made by an interim AD. And he didn't immediately improve things. On the contrary, he took things to new lows not seen before nor since.

We lost more PAC-12 games this year than either year under Jones.
calumnus
stu said:

drizzlybear said:

So, yes, to the extent Fox's situation is even remotely comparable to the Holmoe situation, the evidence points to the better approach being to follow the exact same course as Cal did in the Holmoe situation.
Why didn't we do that in the Jones situation?

Hypocrisy. Holmoe is very analogous to Jones, a holdover assistant kept when the HC moved on, except Jones actually had upside potential. Fox is more like when Stanford fired Buddy Teevans to hire Walt Harris, just throwing good money after bad on a proven mediocre at best "veteran" coach. It wasn't going to get better until they fired him and took a chance on a guy who was an NFL QB coaching at USD. That put them into the Top 10 and the BCS for years. Patience with Teevsns or Harris would not have.
drizzlybear
OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

Stanford Jonah said:

drizzlybear said:

Stanford Jonah said:

parentswerebears said:

I think maybe I'll revisit Cal basketball when the university actually starts caring about Cal basketball. Anybody with a real shot somewhere else should ditch the dumpster fire.
Yep. Drizzlybear and SFCityBear will soon be the only ones posting back and forth to each other about how Fox deserves that fifth year.
Aside from the fact that you apparently have no idea what my view of the situation is, I think I would enjoy very much SFCityBear's company anytime.
I know your view of the situation very well. You're one of those guys who is always saying that a bad coach deserves more time to suck. Fanbase is full of those people.
Wrong. And in any case it sounds like you'd also be wrong about SFC and me being the only ones. You can't keep your insults straight.
I'm sorry but you are trying to have your cake and eat it too. You can't spend 95% of your time here countering any criticism of the coach, never offer anything but the bare minimum of criticism and then say people don't know the view of the situation you keep secretly in your head. If you have any view of the situation that deviates from publicly supporting the coach no matter what he does, you are free to state it. You can't be as outspoken as you are in support and then claim people don't know your true feelings.

I think it is safe to say that at least at this point you have made it clear that this coach that finished last place deserves another season. I have tried to phrase that in a nicer way than "a bad coach deserves more time to suck", but they are really saying the same thing.

My position is and has always been that the jury is still out on Fox. I point out that the first season seemed somewhat encouraging (and there are others of note who feel the same way). And I believe that COVID impacts are worth putting something of a qualifier for the appraisal of this season (as I do for our football season). I have criticisms of Fox and I have expressed them on these boards. (Until recently I pretty much only posted on the premium boards.) And I believe that this year's team started pretty consistently playing competent team basketball about midway through the season, against competition we now see in a different, more competitive light. And I don't believe it's good for a program, especially a poorly resourced program like ours to be repeatedly firing coaches on a short string.

Unfortunately, there are vocal and aggressive posters who say they've known before Fox was even hired that he couldn't help Cal. Those posters have left no room for anyone to take what I view as the moderate positions I've stated above. And I do respond to what I perceive to be unfair shots. Unfortunately there are many of those.

Feel free to show me any post of mine that is not within that description.
calumnus
drizzlybear said:

OaktownBear said:

drizzlybear said:

Stanford Jonah said:

drizzlybear said:

Stanford Jonah said:

parentswerebears said:

I think maybe I'll revisit Cal basketball when the university actually starts caring about Cal basketball. Anybody with a real shot somewhere else should ditch the dumpster fire.
Yep. Drizzlybear and SFCityBear will soon be the only ones posting back and forth to each other about how Fox deserves that fifth year.
Aside from the fact that you apparently have no idea what my view of the situation is, I think I would enjoy very much SFCityBear's company anytime.
I know your view of the situation very well. You're one of those guys who is always saying that a bad coach deserves more time to suck. Fanbase is full of those people.
Wrong. And in any case it sounds like you'd also be wrong about SFC and me being the only ones. You can't keep your insults straight.
I'm sorry but you are trying to have your cake and eat it too. You can't spend 95% of your time here countering any criticism of the coach, never offer anything but the bare minimum of criticism and then say people don't know the view of the situation you keep secretly in your head. If you have any view of the situation that deviates from publicly supporting the coach no matter what he does, you are free to state it. You can't be as outspoken as you are in support and then claim people don't know your true feelings.

I think it is safe to say that at least at this point you have made it clear that this coach that finished last place deserves another season. I have tried to phrase that in a nicer way than "a bad coach deserves more time to suck", but they are really saying the same thing.

My position is and has always been that the jury is still out on Fox. I point out that the first season seemed somewhat encouraging (and there are others of note who feel the same way). And I believe that COVID impacts are worth putting something of a qualifier for the appraisal of this season (as I do for our football season). I have criticisms of Fox and I have expressed them on these boards. (Until recently I pretty much only posted on the premium boards.) And I believe that this year's team started pretty consistently playing competent team basketball about midway through the season, against competition we now see in a different, more competitive light. And I don't believe it's good for a program, especially a poorly resourced program like ours to be repeatedly firing coaches on a short string.

Unfortunately, there are vocal and aggressive posters who say they've known before Fox was even hired that he couldn't help Cal. Those posters have left no room for anyone to take what I view as the moderate positions I've stated above. And I do respond to what I perceive to be unfair shots. Unfortunately there are many of those.

Feel free to show me any post of mine that is not within that description.

In surveying the basketball world there are coaches you admire and ones you don't. Personality, style of play, strategy... You cannot watch a Mark Few team and not think, "Wow, I wish we had that guy at Cal." Fox was a guy that I thought lasted too long at Georgia before they finally fired him. His best years were his first three at Nevada with Trent Johnson's recruits and it has been downhill ever since. I don't like his slow down style of play. I don't like the way he manages his roster and kids don't want to play for him and his command and control style. It has been 14 years since he won a game in the NCAA Tournament. There were/are hundreds of coaches I would have given a chance before Fox. He has been paid $millions and given many many chances by others. 9 years at Georgia. Georgia is not a tougher job than Cal.

He does not "deserve" another year. However, to your point he will likely get another year because we are stuck and cannot afford to get rid of him, since we will still owe the balance of the $8.75 million contract Knowlton gave him. As long as we are stuck with him, maybe we should root for him to succeed? It just might turn out better than we think. That is where I can see common ground with your position.

socaltownie
I think you are right.
socaltownie
The problem is that he hasn't shown recruiting chops that would put us anywhere near the top 50% of the pac12. This year should have underscored the talent gap but I guess people are delusional.
ClayK
SMC does not recruit in the same universe as Cal.

First, much of the success came from the Australian pipeline (which is still in operation).

Second, its academic standards are much different.

Third, put SMC in the Pac-12 and see how many games the Gaels win.
BigDaddy
For the people who say "Fox needs more time" etc., curious as to what you see TODAY that tells you he's the coach to turn things around. He has a two decade body of work... a short 3 year window at Nevada where his success came with an inherited roster. He did nothing at Georgia.

In 16 seasons at Nevada/Georgia/Cal, Mark Fox has 5 NCAA appearances. He has 2 NCAA wins in 16 years. His last tournament win was 2007.

So what Is it? Is Fox an outstanding game coach? An elite recruiter? Would love to hear what you're seeing or hearing that gives you any sort of optimism that he has Cal trending in the right direction.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
CalLifer
BigDaddy said:

For the people who say "Fox needs more time" etc., curious as to what you see TODAY that tells you he's the coach to turn things around. He has a two decade body of work... a short 3 year window at Nevada where his success came with an inherited roster. He did nothing at Georgia.

In 16 seasons at Nevada/Georgia/Cal, Mark Fox has 5 NCAA appearances. He has 2 NCAA wins in 16 years. His last tournament win was 2007.

So what Is it? Is Fox an outstanding game coach? An elite recruiter? Would love to hear what you're seeing or hearing that gives you any sort of optimism that he has Cal trending in the right direction.
I would also add one more question to those who advocate for Fox needing more time: what is your eventual expectation/goal for the level that Cal will hit with Fox? Is the level that you think Fox will take us to making the tournament 1 out of every 2 years? 4? As BigDaddy states above, Fox's level across Nevada and Georgia (let's not include Cal for now) is 5 appearances across 14 seasons. If you ignore the first three seasons at Nevada (3 of those 5 tournament appearances), his last 11 seasons before coming to Cal had 2 NCAA tournament appearances. Is either of those (1 tourney appearance every 3 or 5 seasons) what you envision when you think Fox needs more time? And if your expectations for Fox/Cal are higher than that, what is it in his 14 year D-1 coaching career prior to Cal that leads you to believe that he can achieve that?

Maybe the disconnect is that the expectations for the "Fox needs/deserves more time" crowd is that Cal should be be targeting 1 tournament appearance every 3-5 years and not more.
BearlyCareAnymore
BigDaddy said:

They absolutely refuse to answer direct questions like this. I have asked multiple time for people to state what an acceptable outcome is to them and what they think the chances are he gets there. They won't respond because they know these are their options

1. Say they are okay with consistent 6-7 win seasons in conference because that is the only result remotely likely. This option makes them look like total losers who accept worse than mediocrity and they know it.

2. Say they want consistent winning seasons in conference and that he has some reasonable percentage chance like 50% to accomplish that. They won't say that because they can't say it without blushing because they know how far out of reality it would make them look

Or

3. State that acceptable is winning seasons in conference and that he has less than 5% chance of making that happen, but golly gee, he deserves a chance because, well, we are Cal and that is what we do! Just wait until next year when a majority argue for an extension because everyone knows when you are down to 2 years left on the contract you have to extend or the 8-10 ranked recruiting classes might slip to 10-12..

The answer is number 3, but that answer lays bare a much more fundamental issue with our program, so they don't want to say it. They will just say he is not going to be fired so we should just support him and not speak up for change. Some of these people were saying the same thing a week before Dykes got fired. And, while I like Fox more personally and how he carries himself, Dykes was a substantially better coach and anyone who knows my posting history on Dykes knows I'm saying a lot with that comment
drizzlybear
BigDaddy said:

As someone who basically has the view that the jury is still out, I can tell you my response to your question. First, I place some basic level of faith or benefit of the doubt in the people Cal has in place to make the hire in the first place. I understand that lots of people here do not have such faith in the individual nor the process used to hire Fox. I don't have that level of knowledge, so I start by assuming some basic level of competency at Cal.
Given that assumption, I assume there were good reasons for hiring him. Your post indicates you would never have hired him in the first place. Again, I don't know enough about the situation to substitute my opinion for those with the responsibility and handsome pay to make those decisions. At its most superficial level I see a guy who has had a good amount of experience as a high level college basketball coach, with mixed results of some success and some mediocrity. Mediocre prior results alone don't dictate my view as to what he might bring at this time. (If it did, then the Yankees should never have hired Joe Torre, the A's never hired Tony LaRussa, nor USC hired Pete Carroll, and Wayne a tinkle would've been long gone from Corvallis before he's now become a darling.) I am open to the possibility that people sometimes learn and improve from prior experiences. So I don't dismiss the hire out of hand from the outset, as it appears many do, and maybe including you. Fwiw, of the names I was hearing at the time, my preferred candidate was Kyle Smith. But I understand some knowledgeable posters on this site say Smith specifically wanted the wsu job and didn't consider Cal. This also raises the point that Cal was not in a strong position to attract a coach in high demand. It might be the case that Cal's objective was not to select the coach who would get us to the promised land, but rather a coach who would get us out of the burning dumpster and into a place of competitive stability where we could maybe then attract the coach who could get us to the promised land. I also was impressed with the work and experience Fox got in the year prior to coaching Cal. I think he was doing some sort of national team thing that had him on staff with Jeff Van Gundy whom I REALLY like, and others. I heard Fox was bringing into Cal practices well-respected coaches like Van Gundy and Mike Montgomery, etc. This seemed good.
Then, in Year 1, I thought Fox did a decent job with a super young and depleted roster. I have mixed feelings about his own role in the roster having been depleted. To some extent I find it understandable that players leave when there's a coaching change, especially when there's an apparent culture change from coach to coach, but I also don't give the coach a complete pass on that. That said, I also thought it kind of reflected well on Fox that of the main players who stayed, it was Bradley who stayed. Given the impression I had of Suing, Vanover, and the guard who left, I have a more favorable impression of the attitude of Bradley than I did of the others. So I also thought that kind of reflected better on Fox. Anyway, back to Year 1, I thought the floor was raised pretty quickly despite a far less talented roster. And, IIRC, the team generally improved later in the season. So that reflected well on Fox's coaching. It's worth noting that none other than Jon Wilner (not known for being a Cal homer) voted Fox Pac12 Coach of the Year. And I believe that wasn't the only COY vote Fox received but can't verify
that rn. I do recall Fox receiving significant praise from the analysts on Pac12net.
Meanwhile, the recruiting seemed so-so, but of course recruiting is usually a longer-term deal, and in any case, Cal was not in a strong position to attract top talent. So, as with Wilcox, I was/am patient on the recruiting issue. Fwiw, I'm encouraged by some of the recruits Fox has brought in so far. They seem to have the long-term potential akin to the players Mike Montgomery brought in.
That brings us to this year. My impression of this year is that Cal was awful for the first third or more of the season. It was disappointing. I had hoped for Wilcox-like improvement; not meteoric, but steady. But then I thought the team played consistently decent basketball relative to its talent level over the last half of the season. To me, not only am I patient enough to suffer a blip of a bad season for whatever reason, but I thought that this team was hit especially hard by covid and it seemed to make sense to what I felt I was seeing. Specifically, what this Cal team needed above anything else during the offseason was time on the court playing together. This team was young and what it needed above anything else, especially players like Brown, Kuany, and Lars who have great physical gifts but whose skills are very raw, was time on the court together. And that's precisely what COVID prevented. So, to me, not only do i have the patience to give a coach a bad year (and maybe even a second one if there should be another), I felt there's actually some reasonable explanation for this particular bad year. The fact that the team, IMO, improved relative to its competition over the course of the season again supported the theory that COVID impacts were particularly difficult for this team early in the season.

Bottom line: 1) open mind upon hire, 2) satisfactory and encouraging Y1, 3) one bad year not enough for me to fire a coach, especially in Y2 and especially when apparent reasons contributed to down year, 4) recruiting judgments viewed over minimum three-year timeline.

Unfortunately, on this board if you don't support firing the coach yesterday you are depicted as having no critical thinking and no standards for the coaching performance. That's not the case with me. For me, the jury is still out. Of course I'll support the coach as a fan, but I don't mind criticisms. What I do tend to respond to are posts that appear to me to be cheap or unreasonable shots. Unfortunately there's been a lot of those. But that gets misunderstood as an inability or unwillingness to have or state my own criticisms of the coach. In the face of relentless and high-shrill criticisms throughout this season, there hasn't been much space allowed for more nuanced discussion, unfortunately.

Sorry for the length of the response. Appreciate if you've read it all.
Post removed:
by user
stu
Quote:

... Sorry for the length of the response. Appreciate if you've read it all.
Thanks to you and to Oaktown. I'll offer a short reply.

1) I didn't like the hire or the hiring process or the publicized team meeting or losing 3 players right away. Those definitely lowered my enthusiasm and expectations.

2) I was pleasantly surprised by the first season. The record was better than I expected and the team (particularly Austin) got better through the season.

3) It's too early for me to rate the recruiting. The initial recruits were hardly inspiring but at least plugged some holes and looked like they might have some potential to develop. To me the transfers haven't looked like power conference players. Celestine looks promising but I haven't seen enough of Bowser to comment. The 2021 signees look OK on paper but I've never seen them play. I still have questions about PG and C.

4) I don't buy the COVID-19 excuse. We had only 2 freshies and they played very few minutes until Celestine came on in February. AFAIK we didn't miss any games. Compare that to our women, who had 6 freshies, no scholarship juniors or seniors, and missed 9 games.

5) I see the loss of Bradley as a huge setback which fits a pattern. After a coaching change I expect a few losses but not 75%. Only 2 of Jones' 8 recruits remain, Anticevich and Kelly. Gone are McNeill, Sueing, Harris-Dyson, Vanover, Gordon, and Bradley. I have to put that on the coaches since I can't imagine having that many bad apples.

6) I don't have any predictions for next season. Based on his first season I'd grudgingly give Fox one more to show he can get to .500 but I'd be prepared to fire him sooner if any more players depart or decommit or if we don't have a decent list of 2022 commits.
drizzlybear
CalLifer said:

BigDaddy said:

I would also add one more question to those who advocate for Fox needing more time: what is your eventual expectation/goal for the level that Cal will hit with Fox? Is the level that you think Fox will take us to making the tournament 1 out of every 2 years? 4? As BigDaddy states above, Fox's level across Nevada and Georgia (let's not include Cal for now) is 5 appearances across 14 seasons. If you ignore the first three seasons at Nevada (3 of those 5 tournament appearances), his last 11 seasons before coming to Cal had 2 NCAA tournament appearances. Is either of those (1 tourney appearance every 3 or 5 seasons) what you envision when you think Fox needs more time? And if your expectations for Fox/Cal are higher than that, what is it in his 14 year D-1 coaching career prior to Cal that leads you to believe that he can achieve that?

Maybe the disconnect is that the expectations for the "Fox needs/deserves more time" crowd is that Cal should be be targeting 1 tournament appearance every 3-5 years and not more.

I honestly think Cal should be going to the tournament more often than not. And almost always at least the nit. I see it almost like qualifying for a bowl game in that a .500 conference record should pretty much get you in. That's my expectation. But I'm also of the "Rome wasn't built in a day" theory, wrt where we are right now.
drizzlybear
OaktownBear said:

BigDaddy said:

They absolutely refuse to answer direct questions like this. I have asked multiple time for people to state what an acceptable outcome is to them and what they think the chances are he gets there. They won't respond because they know these are their options

1. Say they are okay with consistent 6-7 win seasons in conference because that is the only result remotely likely. This option makes them look like total losers who accept worse than mediocrity and they know it.

2. Say they want consistent winning seasons in conference and that he has some reasonable percentage chance like 50% to accomplish that. They won't say that because they can't say it without blushing because they know how far out of reality it would make them look

Or

3. State that acceptable is winning seasons in conference and that he has less than 5% chance of making that happen, but golly gee, he deserves a chance because, well, we are Cal and that is what we do! Just wait until next year when a majority argue for an extension because everyone knows when you are down to 2 years left on the contract you have to extend or the 8-10 ranked recruiting classes might slip to 10-12..

The answer is number 3, but that answer lays bare a much more fundamental issue with our program, so they don't want to say it. They will just say he is not going to be fired so we should just support him and not speak up for change. Some of these people were saying the same thing a week before Dykes got fired. And, while I like Fox more personally and how he carries himself, Dykes was a substantially better coach and anyone who knows my posting history on Dykes knows I'm saying a lot with that comment
I don't know what "they" you're referring to or pretending to speak for, but I have NEVER declined to respond to a question. If anything I feel I respond to too much, especially on Easter Sunday.
drizzlybear
stu said:

Quote:

... Sorry for the length of the response. Appreciate if you've read it all.
Thanks to you and to Oaktown. I'll offer a short reply.

1) I didn't like the hire or the hiring process or the publicized team meeting or losing 3 players right away. Those definitely lowered my enthusiasm and expectations.

2) I was pleasantly surprised by the first season. The record was better than I expected and the team (particularly Austin) got better through the season.

3) It's too early for me to rate the recruiting. The initial recruits were hardly inspiring but at least plugged some holes and looked like they might have some potential to develop. To me the transfers haven't looked like power conference players. Celestine looks promising but I haven't seen enough of Bowser to comment. The 2021 signees look OK on paper but I've never seen them play. I still have questions about PG and C.

4) I don't buy the COVID-19 excuse. We had only 2 freshies and they played very few minutes until Celestine came on in February. AFAIK we didn't miss any games. Compare that to our women, who had 6 freshies, no scholarship juniors or seniors, and missed 9 games.

5) I see the loss of Bradley as a huge setback which fits a pattern. After a coaching change I expect a few losses but not 75%. Only 2 of Jones' 8 recruits remain, Anticevich and Kelly. Gone are McNeill, Sueing, Harris-Dyson, Vanover, Gordon, and Bradley. I have to put that on the coaches since I can't imagine having that many bad apples.

6) I don't have any predictions for next season. Based on his first season I'd grudgingly give Fox one more to show he can get to .500 but I'd be prepared to fire him sooner if any more players depart or decommit or if we don't have a decent list of 2022 commits.

Other than that you felt you already knew when he was hired, I have no quarrel with almost all of what you've said. And I really appreciate the respectful approach you've taken.

4) The COVID impact for Cal this year wasn't about missing in-season games, it was about missing a full offseason of playing. With several key raw players (Brown, K2, Lars), the one thing they most needed was an offseason of just playing. And that's the one thing covid denied them.

5) I agree and have previously posted that if indeed Bradley transfers (as it appears he will), that will not only be a huge setback, but if we also see other key youngsters also go (JC, Bowser, Kelly or Brown in particular), then I could see making a move as soon as now, depending on what the AD hears from the players.

Thanks again.
calumnus
drizzlybear said:

CalLifer said:

BigDaddy said:

I honestly think Cal should be going to the tournament more often than not. And almost always at least the nit. I see it almost like qualifying for a bowl game in that a .500 conference record should pretty much get you in. That's my expectation. But I'm also of the "Rome wasn't built in a day" theory, wrt where we are right now.

I think you have to do more than just allow for "more time" close your eyes and hope. You need to look at what is happening and determine if it is positive and will bring good results with more time or if it is negative and will bring even worse results with more time.

If a car is starting to roll down hill toward a cliff just giving it more time is not the answer. If there is a grease fire In your kitchen ignoring it and hoping things get better with more time is not the answer.

The longer we wait, the worse the situation the next coach will inherit. The more we will erode fan interest in Cal basketball. Fortunately this is basketball, and unlike an entire city it can be turned around in one (signing) day with the right coach. However waiting is only going to make it harder. I dont see it happening this year though it should.
concordtom
Big Dog said:

concordtom said:

BigDaddy said:

ClayK said:

As always, the question is this: If you fire the coach, can you hire someone better?

If not, it's pointless, confusing activity with achievement.

If you are sure you have a better candidate available, then the other questions come into play: Can you afford the process financially? How will it affect current players and recruits? What do the big donors think?

For me, step one is identifying the coach you want, and I certainly don't know enough to pick one out. And from the discussions I've seen on this board, I'm not sure anyone does.

Can Cal hire someone better than Mark Fox? Absolutely. As has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread, Fox has done nothing of note as a head coach, outside of a short run at Nevada with an inherited roster. Hew did nothing in the SEC while at Georgia.

As an AD, coming up with candidates should be easy. A short list would include:

Pro Ranks

Jason Kidd: Best player in Cal history, HOF'er and former NBA head coach/assistant. He would energize the program, fan base and recruiting.

College Head Coaches

Brian Dutcher, San Diego State
Randy Bennett, St. Mary's
Joe Pasternack, UC Santa Barbara
Travis DeCuire, Montana
Shantay Legans, Eastern Washington (just took Portland job)
Dennis Gates, Cleveland State

College Assistants: :

Jason Hart, USC
Brian Michaelson, Gonzaga
Michael Lewis, UCLA
David Velasquez, San Diego State

That's 11 guys who would all be an upgrade over what Cal basketball has now.

Pasternack is DQ'd for kicking Jorge Gutierez
No love for Theo?
Sure, of course, I was going to mention him.
He's getting good experience with the warriors. But he needs to either be a more vocal and visible member of the staff, or he needs to go lead some younger group of players somewhere.
concordtom
Fyght4Cal said:

drizzlybear said:

oskidunker said:

Fox is not going to be fired any time soon. Thread not interesting or helpful.

Thank you. That's kinda my view as well. However, if this leads to others leaving and there's a roster meltdown, then I could see a possible change. But I agree that we're not there yet.
Let's hope Bradley's announcement isn't the start of a roster meltdown. Because would be our second roster meltdown under Fox. :facepalm emoji
Let's take the opposite approach - instead of counting and discussing the meltdowns, how about if we listed and counted the good that Fox has done for the program. Since I haven't followed the team under his leadership AT ALL, how about if you guys educate me.

Has he done anything good in 2 years?
concordtom
oskidunker said:

You cant do any worse than last place. I predict we will do better without Bradley.
You remember the years when Oregon State finished in last place as an annual rite?
It can happen to us, too.
concordtom
OaktownBear said:

oskidunker said:

You cant do any worse than last place. I predict we will do better without Bradley.

Please explain how that works. Who are the eight guys we are better off putting on the floor? Clearly he is by far the most skilled and productive player. He doesn't deserve the insinuation from you. The only way we could be better off is if he is such an attitude problem to make his obviously important contribution a net negative.

There is an individual on the team who needs an attitude adjustment and he is getting paid millions of dollars not to have an attitude problem
I interpreted him as being sarcastic, fwiw.
drizzlybear
calumnus said:

drizzlybear said:

CalLifer said:

BigDaddy said:

I think you have to do more than just allow for "more time" close your eyes and hope. You need to look at what is happening and determine if it is positive and will bring good results with more time or if it is negative and will bring even worse results with more time.

If a car is starting to roll down hill toward a cliff just giving it more time is not the answer. If there is a grease fire In your kitchen ignoring it and hoping things get better with more time is not the answer.

The longer we wait, the worse the situation the next coach will inherit. The more we will erode fan interest in Cal basketball. Fortunately this is basketball, and unlike an entire city it can be turned around in one (signing) day with the right coach. However waiting is only going to make it harder. I dont see it happening this year though it should.

Of course you don't close your eyes and hope. This is what i mean about absurd attacks on anyone who feels the jury is still out. I'm sorry you can't fathom anyone who hasn't yet reached the conclusion that Fox should be fired after in his second season after one year of significant improvement and one year, a COVID year no less, of regression.
Post removed:
by user
BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

OaktownBear said:

oskidunker said:

Please explain how that works. Who are the eight guys we are better off putting on the floor? Clearly he is by far the most skilled and productive player. He doesn't deserve the insinuation from you. The only way we could be better off is if he is such an attitude problem to make his obviously important contribution a net negative.

There is an individual on the team who needs an attitude adjustment and he is getting paid millions of dollars not to have an attitude problem
I interpreted him as being sarcastic, fwiw.

Pretty sure you are incorrect, but if he verifies, I'll stand corrected
bearister
"Best player enters portal."

The headband guy was the 2nd best player....and he came up hugely SMALL in the Tourney.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearlyCareAnymore
drizzlybear said:

calumnus said:

drizzlybear said:

CalLifer said:

BigDaddy said:

Of course you don't close your eyes and hope. This is what i mean about absurd attacks on anyone who feels the jury is still out. I'm sorry you can't fathom anyone who hasn't yet reached the conclusion that Fox should be fired after in his second season after one year of significant improvement and one year, a COVID year no less, of regression.

You have attacked and attacked and attacked anyone with any significant level of criticism and certainly you have attacked anyone arguing for dismissal or taking the program in a new direction and I have responded to you attacks in kind. I'm just not as mealy mouthed about it. Most of us who have argued for taking the program in a different direction have not just said fire the bum. We have laid out detailed arguments that the program is going in the wrong direction. Disagreeing with us is fine. That is not what you do. You treat every argument for dismissal as an unfair attack and you have said you feel the need to defend against unfair attacks. I think people here have mostly refrained from any personal insults or attacks against Fox. He has had much fewer than leveled at Dykes or Braun or Jones or Martin or even Tedford. I don't think that is due to restraint but more that there are like 12 of us that still give a shyte so we actually want to talk about the issues. If you are basically going to be offended by any argument he should be fired, and my opinion is he should be fired, there is no place for me to go. I don't think you can find anything I have said about Fox that is unfair.

annarborbear
I think unless people have the money to contribute to a buy-out, this discussion is pretty fruitless. Come back in twelve months and you can argue for a firing in more realistic terms.
concordtom
socaltownie said:

Get Turner at uci on the list. He understand uc. And yes. I know. He made an I'll advised slur during the dance. **** it. I want to win.
I don't need to win to be proud and watch Cal Bears basketball.
The problem is that we recruit and hire specifically for the objective of winning and yet suck at it. It would be more enjoyable to play in a Western Ivy League where we were truly rooting for individuals rather than thinking we are competing with the dirty schools out there and yet suck at it.

In other words, the "F*** it, I want to win" attitude is not the type of program I want to be, or root for. That gets you lots of problems down the road.
Big C
annarborbear said:

I think unless people have the money to contribute to a buy-out, this discussion is pretty fruitless. Come back in twelve months and you can argue for a firing in more realistic terms.

The people that have the money for a buy-out are still spending it on Wyking Jones' buy-out.

I just don't think we get to play the sign-for-five-then-fire-after-two card again this soon, though maybe somebody has five million burning a hole in their pocket right now, who knows.
puget sound cal fan
Knowlton needs to be building the buy-out fund, as well as the amount needed to create a men's hoops budget for a top tier HC and staff. What is Fox's buy-out number?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.