Official National Championship Game Thread

3,481 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Go Zags!

Is that team wearing Elgin Baylor commemorative jerseys?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
Two early observations:

1. Even one day of fandom on my part spells doom for a team; and

2. If the Zags don't figure out how to stop getting out rebounded like they are 6th graders, this game is over.
BearSD
It is an iron rule of college football and basketball championships that the most unlikeable team wins more often than not.

That is holding true so far.
HoopDreams
Baylor looks so much more athletic and explosive than zags
prospeCt

bearister
Baylor from the arc:

helltopay1
Just a thought: Baylor breezed by 20 points in their last game. They emerged from that game without being emotionally and/or physically exhausted. Gonzaga, on the other hand, had to exhaust all their and physical and emotional attributes to win. Hence, with so little time between games, Baylor has much more gas in the tank. I've seen this happen to teams hundred of times.
bearister
Baylor had a 19 point lead. Are they starting to sh@it on home plate?

Edit: No
HoopDreams
I think that's a real factor

Zags maybe did wake up after barely surviving the Baylor blitz

I don't think Baylor can keep up such aggressive defense without major foul trouble

helltopay1 said:

Just a thought: Baylor breezed by 20 points in their last game. They emerged from that game without being emotionally and/or physically exhausted. Gonzaga, on the other hand, had to exhaust all their and physical and emotional attributes to win. Hence, with so little time between games, Baylor has much more gas in the tank. I've seen this happen to teams hundred of times.
sycasey
Baylor jumped all over the Zags early. They weren't ready for such aggressive defense. Now we see if they can keep it up the whole game after Gonzaga closed to 10 at halftime.
bearister
If I was up by 19, shooting 60% from arc vs 17% and I'm only up 10.....that is failure to punch your opponent through the ropes.

Edit: Nice try at optimism
bearister
That Baylor dude is Mullet First Team

HoopDreams
That was one of craziest play I've seen this season
bearister
Drew Timme just slipped to 4th round pick in Turkish League
Econ141
Baylor is the house Gary Franklin built.
sycasey
This is over. Baylor too physically dominant.
bearister

*Currently laying foundation for his alibi on sideline. Are headbands tear absorbent?
HoopDreams
Are zags over rated?
sycasey
HoopDreams said:

Are zags over rated?

They got to the Final and are only losing to the consensus #2 team (pre-tournament), so probably not that much.
bearister
....and the Jason Kapono Headband Award goes to..

Strykur
sycasey said:

HoopDreams said:

Are zags over rated?

They got to the Final and are only losing to the consensus #2 team (pre-tournament), so probably not that much.
3PT
10-23
5-17

Rebounds

Dominated on the boards and the 3-point line, once Zags got behind they were toast.
sycasey
Baylor didn't have to play any Pac-12 teams, just sayin'.
HoopDreams
Oscar Fryer in One Shining Moment
philbert
This was such a boring final after that all-timer with fucla. Oh well, maybe one of these days we'll see Fox lead Cal to the Final 4.
calumnus
It is interesting that Ken Pom had Gonzaga and Baylor 1 and 2.

I would not have predicted this result but then I was not surprised at all. Baylor had far more energy.
sycasey
calumnus said:

I would not have predicted this result but then I was not surprised at all. Baylor had far more energy.

Gonzaga had to play two mighty Pac-12 teams in a row which wore them out. Baylor had none in their region and came in fresh. Clearly this is the reason the final went this way.
helltopay1
Anyone notice the age discrepancy??Vital, Baylors' center, was 24 years old. most of the Baylor players looked like grown men playing against fresh-faced college kids. I've seen convicts from San Quentin who looked younger than the Baylor players...Marek Few is a class act. wonder if they Baylor players are required to attend class...Just wondering out loud..
concordtom
bearister said:

Drew Timme just slipped to 4th round pick in Turkish League

An article I just read suggested "Timme may have lost some money tonight as he appeared a slow footed defender and overwhelmed in the paint".

That's what I was thinking, too.
He can pivot like Kevin McHale against some of these college kids but wait until he faces bigger and more experienced nba centers.

And Timme is a sub 30% from range shooter. And *only* 6'10".
You know, his real problem may have been that he shaved! He resisted for a long time, mentioning the luck, but cleaned up for the big game. That doomed him!
concordtom

Notice how the cheeks were cleaned up.
Coincidence? I think not.

concordtom
helltopay1 said:

I've seen convicts from San Quentin who looked younger than the Baylor players...Marek Few is a class act. wonder if they Baylor players are required to attend class...Just wondering out loud..

New Rules suggest you sound racist.
You just likened the darker skinned team to San Quentin convicts and classroom skippers. That's not allowed.

Tell me, what was it about Baylor that had you placing their players in prison rather than in the classroom???
I would have thought OT would have taught you something about subconscious racism by now.
concordtom
calumnus said:

Before Baylor, I had watched the last 3 games of Gonzaga. That's it.
Incredibly convincing in wins if 20 points. But prior to Baylor, I said, "maybe Gonzaga's actually not all that good."

I mean, they HAD just struggled to beat an 11-seed team missing 3 players it thought they'd have 12 months ago.
And who did Gonzaga have?
A great freshman who is not a ball dominant ruler.
A crafty but very physically underwhelming center.
A quiet 6'7" model of efficiency.
And 1 athletic and exciting Frenchman.

It's not surprising to see how Baylor ripped them apart.

Gonzaga looked like a WCC team vs a true power five side. Upon reflection, who did Gonzaga play this season?
sycasey
concordtom said:

Gonzaga looked like a WCC team vs a true power five side. Upon reflection, who did Gonzaga play this season?

I don't think this argument holds much weight. Gonzaga always plays a tough non-conference schedule and this season was no different. They beat Kansas, Auburn, West Virginia, Iowa, and Virginia. Then in the tournament they beat Oklahoma, Creighton, USC, and UCLA. Sure they looked bad in the championship game, but no one would have said "they didn't play anybody" going in.
59bear
concordtom said:

calumnus said:

Before Baylor, I had watched the last 3 games of Gonzaga. That's it.
Incredibly convincing in wins if 20 points. But prior to Baylor, I said, "maybe Gonzaga's actually not all that good."

I mean, they HAD just struggled to beat an 11-seed team missing 3 players it thought they'd have 12 months ago.
And who did Gonzaga have?
A great freshman who is not a ball dominant ruler.
A crafty but very physically underwhelming center.
A quiet 6'7" model of efficiency.
And 1 athletic and exciting Frenchman.

It's not surprising to see how Baylor ripped them apart.

Not surprised Baylor won but I was surprised by the degree of dominance. When Baylor tore up a very good defensive team in Houston it looked ominous. When they out rebounded and played hairshirt defense while shooting the lights out against the Zags it was a performance for the ages. This was a very good team playing at the top of their ability. Kudos to Scott Drew and the Bears for turning what could have been an iconic season into a footnote
SBGold
Pretty racist
concordtom
sycasey said:

concordtom said:

I don't think this argument holds much weight. Gonzaga always plays a tough non-conference schedule and this season was no different. They beat Kansas, Auburn, West Virginia, Iowa, and Virginia. Then in the tournament they beat Oklahoma, Creighton, USC, and UCLA. Sure they looked bad in the championship game, but no one would have said "they didn't play anybody" going in.

I agree. And I looked up their schedule.
But I only saw them beat Creighton, USC, and UCLA, not blue bloods of the last decade.

It simply didn't look like they ever had a chance.
One article said the same, but emphasized that it wasn't that Gonzaga looked bad, it was tgat Baylor looked that good.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.