Is Fox just playing out the string?

17,383 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by socaltownie
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BerkeleyBAT said:

You mean like we've done for every coach but Monty?
Don't think Cuonzo ever got that level, although he was clearly headed that way if he had stayed.
philbert
CalLifer said:

philbert said:

It's so sad that Cal hoops has deteriorated this far for us to be debating how bad of a season it will take to get a new coach.
Or that an objectively bad season (7-11, ninth place) might be enough to keep our current coach.
Much better stated than me....
stu
Big C said:

I don't disagree that this is where we SHOULD be eight months from now, but since there seems like such a miniscule chance that we can improve that much, why even continue like we are?

If the answer is that we couldn't afford to fire another coach after only two seasons, hey, I get that, financially, but it makes it sound like we're spinning in neutral, writing off a whole season.
Every week we stay in or near the Pac-12 cellar is a further disincentive to recruits. I'd say we're not spinning in neutral, which would be hovering around the middle of the conference. Rather we're in reverse with the pedal on the floor.
Jeff82
My conclusion is they don't care about basketball, and from a monetary standpoint, that makes sense. Realistically, the team would have to get a whole lot better for ticket sales to overcome the crappy game work-week game times dictated by the TV contract, and that's probably not going to happen even if you spend more money on the program.

I suspect they're just waiting for Fox's buyout to get low enough, or for the contract to just run out. Then they'll higher a younger, cheaper coach and hope he catches fire. The TV money is not dependent on performance.

For me, basketball is now mostly a chance to get back to campus on the occasional Saturday or Sunday afternoon, when I want to go back and take my daughter. I don't have much expectation of the team being competitive at this point.
WalterSobchak
Agree 100%. It's pretty obvious an internal decision was made to destroy the basketball program. Or at least to deprioritize it to the point that destruction was the only possible result given the competitive environment. In Fox I think they found exactly who they were looking for: an established and respected underachiever who's happy to take the paycheck and run a scandal-free program with no real hope of ever being competitive. Thus I assume he is eminently comfortable because he's meeting all of the expectations they have for him. It is what it is.
philbert
WalterSobchak said:

Agree 100%. It's pretty obvious an internal decision was made to destroy the basketball program. Or at least to deprioritize it to the point that destruction was the only possible result given the competitive environment. In Fox I think they found exactly who they were looking for: an established and respected underachiever who's happy to take the paycheck and run a scandal-free program with no real hope of ever being competitive. Thus I assume he is eminently comfortable because he's meeting all of the expectations they have for him. It is what it is.

If that's the case, they don't deserve any support from me.
calumnus
WalterSobchak said:

Knowlton didn't decide to destroy the program, but he obviously didn't care enough to do more than rely on a search firm and make a hire in less than a week. His objective in hiring Fox was a clean program that is about .500 in conference, as Fox did at Georgia. He'd obviously be happy with that. Of course, shoot for .500 and fall short and you'll
BearSD
sluggo said:

4thGenCal said:

CalLifer said:

calumnus said:

CalLifer said:

Big C said:

BearGreg said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

Almost no communication with fans (shouldn't they be pushing hard to get butts in seats). No social media presence to speak of (His last tweet is a meaningless picture of a sign at Oakland International). July 4th Instagram. Radio silence. Almost no excitement.

It is going to be an AWFUL season (I am again offering a bet that we have 9 or fewer wins). At that point you have to believe that they will make a chance.

Does Fox know this and is he simply playing out the string?

Well he does have a guaranteed seven figure a year contract. Based on the way "insiders" support him here I wouldn't be shocked if he got an extension.
Not sure who qualifies as an Insider here at BI, but our view is that this is a make or break season for Coach Fox

Yes, I haven't detected too much Fox support over the last six months or so... from anybody.

As far as "make or break", there seems to be a gray area in the middle which would leave things in limbo. If we finish WAY in undisputed last place, with a record similar to last season's, that would be "break", barring some sort of amazing recruiting coup (and even then).

Obviously, if we were to pull off a winning conference record, that would be an incredible coaching job. "Make".

But what if something happens that is between those two? Say we finish 7-11 in conference, in 9th place. That would exceed everybody's expectations and demonstrate clear improvement from last season, but would it be enough to buy him a Year Four? My answer is "maybe", depending on how the games passed the eye test and what the recruiting class looked like. (It would be easy to say I'm setting the bar too low here and I might agree. I'm used to a low bar right now for Cal Basketball.)

The "radio silence" is ever so perplexing.
I think the issue here is making the comparison with *last season* rather than looking at where we should be after 3 years of a new coach's tenure. If, at the time of Fox's hire, someone could have told you that in his 3rd year we would be 7-11 in conference and in 9th place, who would have been happy with that? I think we all would have agreed that was unacceptable. To me, that's the lens with which to view this. The attrition from the program (Seing, MacNeil, Vanover, and now Bradley), the inability to recruit both from the high school levels as well as from the transfer portals, the complete indifference to engaging the fan base in any way, all have to be laid at his feet. The fact that he may have the occasional win (or few wins) where the team comes together or we finish a slot or two above where our natural talent would indicate should not hide the fact that this roster is 100% his and that 7-11 should be considered a poor result for a coach in his 3rd year.

Not entirely his roster, two players, Kelly and Anticevich, were brought in by Jones. The fact that they were secondary players but are probably our two best returning scorers and will be gone next year is concerning and likely means we will be very young next year. We have already been one of the lowest scoring teams in the country (#305) and will likely finish even lower this year and next.
Apologies, I used a little bit of artistic license when I said the entire roster was Fox's. If anything, it's completely damning that the two best returning players on the team in Fox's 3rd year were really 2nd tier players on the roster at the time that Jones was fired... it's actually doubly damning in that all of the better players left and Fox has been unable to recruit better players. I apologize for the lack of exactness in my initial post, but if anything, it makes Fox look even worse.
Have to agree - recruiting has been substandard (even with difficult admission standards) and this season is critical to Fox and staff (wish he had replaced one key assistant who is only partially respected by the players). I do support the HC getting 3 seasons to prove his results and allow sufficient rebuild time. While I am incredibly loyal for Cal and the key sports of Football and Basketball, I would not be in favor of keeping our HC if we finished 9/10th or worse and an early exit in league tourney. His contract remaining and the AD personal hiring would give him the 4th year in that scenario. Team is working hard (as they should) and will be better, but I would be very surprised if that equates to a 7th place or better standing in league.
Fox is the worst recruiter at Cal maybe ever. I only go back to Campanelli, but every other coach has been far better. Even Monty who hated recruiting. Cal is coming off a last place season, they lost their best player and none of the freshmen will contribute because they are not good enough. And it it seems like they are getting no traction for next year. I would understand at WSU or OSU but not at Cal. What is going on?

OSU? We can only wish the Bears were on their level. They made a run to the Elite Eight last season.

As it is, predicting the Bears will finish in 9th place in 2021-22 seems like sunshine pumping.
PtownBear1
To answer the OP, I firmly believe the answer is yes. While there are a lot of indications that Fox has mailed it in (lack of communication/fan engagement, losing your best player, lack of recruiting results, etc.), the biggest indicator for me was when Fox didn't make any staff changes after setting a record for conference losses last season. That alone puts him behind Wyking as the worst coach in Cal history IMO. At least Jones was out there hustling on the recruiting trail and altered his staff after each failed season.

If Fox miraculously turns this sinking ship around with a record in the top half of the conference and a couple promising recruits, I'd be happy to get behind him. But realistically, I'm just dreading an 8-11th place finish that may prolong his inevitable release.
mbBear
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

Almost no communication with fans (shouldn't they be pushing hard to get butts in seats). No social media presence to speak of (His last tweet is a meaningless picture of a sign at Oakland International). July 4th Instagram. Radio silence. Almost no excitement.

It is going to be an AWFUL season (I am again offering a bet that we have 9 or fewer wins). At that point you have to believe that they will make a chance.

Well he does have a guaranteed seven figure a year contract. Based on the way "insiders" support him here I wouldn't be shocked if he got an extension.
"Insiders" here, and I assume you are talking about staff folks, have an influence on contract extensions? I didn't realize Knowlton had created that group of advisors....

No, I was saying Knowlton won't make a move unless pushed to do so by insiders/donors. The vibe I was getting from insiders was most would view a 9th place finish (say) as "progress" and not push Knowlton to do something he doesn't want to d
First, I would say you have never met Jim Knowlton if you believe that. Not to say that he won't keep Fox for another year, but it's not going to be about who is pushing him. I think he either needs to see something to feel like another year is worth it, or just wants the contract payoff to be a year later; I don't agree with the latter, because the sooner you make a move, the sooner momentum starts to swing.
Second, if this board is your source of "vibe," then I wish you all the best.
Lastly, regarding both points: what is tangibly going on that shows Cal supporters are happy with the results, outside of some posts from people you think have influence? Attendance? Donations? TV ratings? Moving on to the next chapter of Cal basketball is knocking on the door.
Last year was clearly a weird one, so yeah, hard to judge about that. But dismissing last year, and arguing for "another" 3rd year isn't citing "progress."
BeachedBear
Big C said:

BeachedBear said:

Sorry folks, but even finishing in 7th place or around .500 is not enough to retain Fox. IMHO the program needs to show that it's firing on ALL cylinders by the end of the season. That includes:

• Playing well including results in the W/L column
  • Dramatic Individual player improvement from three of four of (Thieman, Brown, Kuany and Thore ) who are all his guys in their THIRD year in the program.
  • Shaking ALL of the rust off a bizarre Covid season
  • Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting
  • Engagement by Anyone in the program with the fans and an improved HAAS experience

Some may say that this is not all under his control, but HE is the head coach and making $Million+. In three years under FOX, we have seen some glimpses of competence and fodder for HOPE, but not much in results. The P12 seems to be improving and our coach needs to GAIN ground, not show incremental improvement.

I don't disagree that this is where we SHOULD be eight months from now, but since there seems like such a miniscule chance that we can improve that much, why even continue like we are?

If the answer is that we couldn't afford to fire another coach after only two seasons, hey, I get that, financially, but it makes it sound like we're spinning in neutral, writing off a whole season.

Now, I realize that I'm probably not setting the bar high enough and that what I wrote above... um... barely makes sense, but my point is this: If the agreed-upon benchmarks for the upcoming season are basically UNREACHABLE by the current staff, why didn't we replace them four months ago?

This is why I'm suggesting that IF we go 7-11 or 8-10 this coming season (within reason and well out of the conference cellar) AND the team meets the "eye test" of looking reasonably well-coached with notable individual player progress AND the recruiting seems to be progressing, maybe Fox survives to Year Four.

Nice hypothetical to have, considering it's unlikely we will even be able to do that.
Good questions.

I think all options fall in to three groups:

1. Replace FOX and staff and attempt a change
2. Do nothing, keep FOX and hope.
3. Stop MBB altogether. I'm not sure if you are considering this, but it probably has larger ramifications to membership in P12 beyond just deciding not to play.

But to respond to 1 versus 2, change takes energy and effort. Other than a few dozen of us, the vast majority of Cal supporters care about Football or other things besides MBB. There will not be a change unless there is more pain to demand a change.

As for why not four months ago or now? I believe that over the last 15 months, there were other priorities. Maybe Covid saved FOX a year? But two? I doubt it.

I don't WANT FOX to get a fourth year if his results are not dramatic, but I believe he probably WILL, because there simply is not enough reason for the Ath Dept to put in the effort and energy to replace him.

Since my earlier message, I told them that I was not renewing my MBB tickets after 38 seasons, the response was "I get it, maybe you can make it to a couple games, Can we keep your deposit?" To me that means you will likely get your fourth season with FOX.
stu
BeachedBear said:

3. Stop MBB altogether. I'm not sure if you are considering this, but it probably has larger ramifications to membership in P12 beyond just deciding not to play.
I would insert:

2.5. Keep the program, keep it as cheap as possible, and don't care about the result.

If the department had chosen option 2.5 two years ago they would have saved a lot of money by keeping Jones. If they choose option 2.5 now they'll keep Fox for the full term of his contract but not extend because he's too expensive. That's barely distinguishable from option 2 since if Fox's contract is not extended the hope will be even more of a fantasy.

BeachedBear
stu said:

BeachedBear said:

I would insert:

2.5. Keep the program, keep it as cheap as possible, and don't care about the result.

If the department had chosen option 2.5 two years ago they would have saved a lot of money by keeping Jones. If they choose option 2.5 now they'll keep Fox for the full term of his contract but not extend because he's too expensive. That's barely distinguishable from option 2 since if Fox's contract is not extended the hope will be even more of a fantasy.

Yeah. but your 2.5 falls under 1 in my decision tree - just replacing FOX focused on economics vs performance. Balancing one over the other is a legitimate decision, but not doing either and leaving it that way would fall under 2.

As for history, I still think one needed to get rid of Jones. Replacing him with someone other than FOX was definitely a possibility. And at that point, going cheap would have at least been an option that would clearly state where the program was going.

In hindsight, it appears that Cal tried to replace Jones with someone that they thought would succeed and pay at a 'market rate' (for P12 - although Cal is near the bottom in that regard). So far, it looks like that strategy (or more likely the execution) isn't working.

I'm OK with failure. As long as one recognizes and corrects it. If we get more of the same in year three - and do nothing - whoops.

I'm HOPING we do better because I'm a Cal fan. But all of the evidence in two years indicates otherwise, so I'm not betting it.
Bobodeluxe
NIL put a hold on major moves. Why sign a contract when DI basketball might not exist in two years?
BeachedBear
Bobodeluxe said:

NIL put a hold on major moves. Why sign a contract when DI basketball might not exist in two years?
This is a pretty big point and one that has been neglected on this forum. Most of us, still think it is 15 years ago and we're replacing Braun with Monty (and some of us think its even longer than that ).

NIL may be news today, but it has been in the works since before Monty retired. Add to that uncertainty about TV contract renewals nationwide (which pays for most of the change) along with the P12 uncertainty around the P12 network and commissioner (who has since been replaced) and add to that dynamic changes within Cal itself (changes in AD, Chancellor, department funding issues).

That's a lot of house to get in order.

As much as we may want to blame Knowlton for mistakes (and I think there is ample fodder), my guess is the dismay would be MUCH worse if he decided to do nothing two years ago and Jones was still coach.
Jeff82
Realistically, there's nothing the fan base can do about this at this point, unless you're willing to dump all other contributions/season tickets for Cal because of basketball. Since most of the revenue is from TV, and it's not performance related, we have no influence, IMHO. It's ennui to the max.
philbert
Jeff82 said:

Realistically, there's nothing the fan base can do about this at this point, unless you're willing to dump all other contributions/season tickets for Cal because of basketball. Since most of the revenue is from TV, and it's not performance related, we have no influence, IMHO. It's ennui to the max.
It certainly won't be the regular season ticket holders that have any influence. However, the biggest donors (like the top end donors in the MEB fund) may have more of a voice. If all of those folks revolted, something could happen.
wifeisafurd
Oakbear said:

many support mediocrity .. I had my questions about the hiring process and am now a strong believer that a change needs to be made, sooner rather than later
I would not even call what Cal MBB is today to be mediocre. Is it not that the people support what the program has become, it is that they don't care. Whatever is left of the MBB fan base, is not engaged.
stu
BeachedBear said:

stu said:

BeachedBear said:

I would insert:

Yeah. but your 2.5 falls under 1 in my decision tree - just replacing FOX focused on economics vs performance. Balancing one over the other is a legitimate decision, but not doing either and leaving it that way would fall under 2.
Your (and my) option 1 is looking for improvement. My option 2.5 is not, it's spending as little as possible to keep the program running and expecting to finish at the bottom.

I want option 1 since I don't think the hope in option 2 is realistic and I don't want to endure the consequences of options 2.5 or 3. However I don't pay the bills or make the decisions. I think the department was trying option 1 when they hired Fox but executed that poorly.
wifeisafurd
BearGreg said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

Not sure who qualifies as an Insider here at BI, but our view is that this is a make or break season for Coach Fox
You at least still follow the basketball program and have the contacts. Given the relative talent level, what is a "make" season? Is 9th place over-achieving? 6th place? top tier? The Pac is NOT the doormat this year as years past (in fact, last year the Pac actually was good).
HearstMining
Big C said:

CalLifer said:

Big C said:

BeachedBear said:

Sorry folks, but even finishing in 7th place or around .500 is not enough to retain Fox. IMHO the program needs to show that it's firing on ALL cylinders by the end of the season. That includes:

• Dramatic Individual player improvement from three of four of (Thieman, Brown, Kuany and Thore ) who are all his guys in their THIRD year in the program.
  • Engagement by Anyone in the program with the fans and an improved HAAS experience

Some may say that this is not all under his control, but HE is the head coach and making $Million+. In three years under FOX, we have seen some glimpses of competence and fodder for HOPE, but not much in results. The P12 seems to be improving and our coach needs to GAIN ground, not show incremental improvement.

I think this is the key point that those of us who thought we should move on from Fox after the most recent season were trying to make. Any realistic view of the coming season (especially once Bradley transferred) would have to acknowledge that we are unlikely to reach the levels listed above, and the lack of recruiting success also means that Year 4 is likely to not meet the bar we should be meeting in Yr 4 of a new coach. So basically Cal is giving Fox a third year (or more?) to simply say we won't fire a coach after 2 years, when we for all intents and purposes know that Fox will not reach the levels he should have been held too after his 3rd year. Or maybe the admin is all-in on Football and just doesn't care about basketball. If that's the case, we should have just kept Jones (as OaktownBear has said in the past) and saved the money. Jones is def a better recruiter than Fox, so at least we could have fantasized about a higher level of recruit.

Edited:
I now see that Big C edited his post and asked the question I also just asked:

Quote:

Now, I realize that I'm probably not setting the bar high enough and that what I wrote above... um... barely makes sense, but my point is this: If the agreed-upon benchmarks for the upcoming season are basically UNREACHABLE by the current staff, why didn't we replace them four months ago?

Maybe it is because Knowlton doesn't want to have the stink of replacing two successive coaches after two years (though we know that doing the same thing worked wonders on the Farm when they hired Harbaugh). Maybe he doesn't care. Maybe all of his focus is on football and he can't be bothered about basketball. Maybe he likes Fox too much and can't pull the trigger despite the clear need to replace him.

Thanks, you seem to have completely understood my point... and I'm not even sure that I did. Thing is, I am a season ticket holder and will always be one and I'm desperately searching for some hope, some meaning, for the next eight months.
If you find that hope and meaning, please share with the rest of us! In addition, I'll say that while Wyking may be a better recruiter than Fox, his job would have gotten progressively harder as losing seasons continued. And when it came time to jettison Wyking a year later, would Knowlton have used the same search firm with a similar result? Who can say . . .
4thGenCal
Jeff82 said:

Would definitely disagree - donations certainly help retain key Football coaches, recruiting coordinators etc. There are many examples of influential, passionate and giving alums pitching in to retain/assist Tedford, Wilcox, Monty (for bball housing) etc and even recently the basketball excellence fund (might need a different name, has been consistent with its annual giving (helps toward coach recruiting trips, charter flights for team to lessen missing classes etc). While the angst is justified and this season is a "make or break" assessment of Coach Fox, the # of supporters who annually give meaningful dollars($25k/year+) is small, compared to nearly all of our league opponents. Replacing a coach with 2+ years remaining and still paying off a former coach simply is not in the financial capability for the Dept.today - Unless the supporters come together and raise $3M-$5M for a 3+ spread out inflow. While we all are very disappointed in the current direction of the program, its July, and lets see where the team is in November. Fox and staff have to produce and show a marketable improvement in league wins/standing or he will be replaced. Final point that was brought up about "playing out the string" nonsensical - no coach wants the public humiliation, emotional pain inflicted on their family and lessening respect amongst their peers. The staff is working appropriately hard with the players and in recruiting efforts. If they failure this season, it won't be to lack of effort. No excuses at all, while the league is much better than many acknowledge, Staff is at the end of the rope for assessment on a 4th year or not. Really hoping Jalen and Jarred become 100% healthy, Grant and Andre improve their strength and cardio respectively and Lars, Marsalis and the transfer provide solid minutes. Joel Brown will make the next step and improve. Lot of if's, but I am pulling for them hard and hope other's on the string, are supportive and come out to the games.
Civil Bear
HearstMining said:

Big C said:

CalLifer said:

Big C said:

BeachedBear said:

I think this is the key point that those of us who thought we should move on from Fox after the most recent season were trying to make. Any realistic view of the coming season (especially once Bradley transferred) would have to acknowledge that we are unlikely to reach the levels listed above, and the lack of recruiting success also means that Year 4 is likely to not meet the bar we should be meeting in Yr 4 of a new coach. So basically Cal is giving Fox a third year (or more?) to simply say we won't fire a coach after 2 years, when we for all intents and purposes know that Fox will not reach the levels he should have been held too after his 3rd year. Or maybe the admin is all-in on Football and just doesn't care about basketball. If that's the case, we should have just kept Jones (as OaktownBear has said in the past) and saved the money. Jones is def a better recruiter than Fox, so at least we could have fantasized about a higher level of recruit.

Edited:

Quote:

Maybe it is because Knowlton doesn't want to have the stink of replacing two successive coaches after two years (though we know that doing the same thing worked wonders on the Farm when they hired Harbaugh). Maybe he doesn't care. Maybe all of his focus is on football and he can't be bothered about basketball. Maybe he likes Fox too much and can't pull the trigger despite the clear need to replace him.

Thanks, you seem to have completely understood my point... and I'm not even sure that I did. Thing is, I am a season ticket holder and will always be one and I'm desperately searching for some hope, some meaning, for the next eight months.
If you find that hope and meaning, please share with the rest of us! In addition, I'll say that while Wyking may be a better recruiter than Fox, his job would have gotten progressively harder as losing seasons continued. And when it came time to jettison Wyking a year later, would Knowlton have used the same search firm with a similar result? Who can say . . .
I believe that one of the considerations at the time was that giving Wyking another year and finishing his contract would have freed up more funds when going after his replacement. In hindsight that may have been the way to go. It certainly wouldn't have made things worse.
Big C
HearstMining said:

Big C said:

CalLifer said:

Big C said:

BeachedBear said:

Edited:

Quote:

I am able to conjure up some hope and meaning and (referencing 4thGen's post) I will be at most of the games, cheering on the Bears this coming season!

What gives me some hope is that we have a number of returnees, covering sort of a "2+ deep" at all positions. Furthermore, I think it is somewhat reasonable to anticipate pretty decent improvement from the rising junior class that had their previous and only off-season basically taken from them by the pandemic. (Lars might be a prime example and, boy, could we use some good minutes from a guy like that. Others, as well.)

The problem, of course, is that this hope is largely faith-based. I'm clinging to my hope, but I can also see the likely reality. We'll see what happens...

Nice that some of us care enough to post on this thread in mid-July!
socaltownie
philbert said:

BerkeleyBAT said:

You mean like we've done for every coach but Monty?
Don't think Cuonzo ever got that level, although he was clearly headed that way if he had stayed.
Hard to know. We might have struggled. I think we would have seen a solid incoming class.
PtownBear1
4thGenCal said:

Final point that was brought up about "playing out the string" nonsensical - no coach wants the public humiliation, emotional pain inflicted on their family and lessening respect amongst their peers. The staff is working appropriately hard with the players and in recruiting efforts. If they failure this season, it won't be to lack of effort. No excuses at all, while the league is much better than many acknowledge, Staff is at the end of the rope for assessment on a 4th year or not. Really hoping Jalen and Jarred become 100% healthy, Grant and Andre improve their strength and cardio respectively and Lars, Marsalis and the transfer provide solid minutes. Joel Brown will make the next step and improve. Lot of if's, but I am pulling for them hard and hope other's on the string, are supportive and come out to the games.

I'm curious what you've actually witnessed that leads you to the conclusion that Fox is hard at work and hasn't mailed it in? Don't mean this in a jerky way, but genuinely asking.

There are many factors that would lead one to reasonably conclude Fox has mailed it in, such as complete lack of communication, lack of media participation, lack of fan engagement efforts, lack of recruiting results, lack of on the court results, loss of your best player, and most notably, not bothering to any make any staffing changes after two years of poor recruiting and suffering through the worst conference season in Cal history.

But what evidence is there that Fox hasn't mailed it in? Other than assumptions about being concerned with the respect of his peers.

Obviously, Fox still has to hold practices and go through the motions of recruiting and the like to avoid termination for breach of contract or negligence, but what has he actually done beyond this bare minimum? I mean he didn't even bother to spend the time to change a single position on his staff after a historic failure of a season.

And then there's also the failure to capitalize on the rare opportunity provided by the transfer portal this year. All you have to do is look around the conference and see the coaches that overhauled their teams and know who is actually making efforts to try to succeed.
stu
PtownBear1 said:

But what evidence is there that Fox hasn't mailed it in? Other than assumptions about being concerned with the respect of his peers.
Since I'm not close to the program I can't distinguish between lack of effort and lack of results. I suspect someone on the team or someone being recruited could clear that up but wouldn't want to.
4thGenCal
PtownBear1 said:

4thGenCal said:

Final point that was brought up about "playing out the string" nonsensical - no coach wants the public humiliation, emotional pain inflicted on their family and lessening respect amongst their peers. The staff is working appropriately hard with the players and in recruiting efforts. If they failure this season, it won't be to lack of effort. No excuses at all, while the league is much better than many acknowledge, Staff is at the end of the rope for assessment on a 4th year or not. Really hoping Jalen and Jarred become 100% healthy, Grant and Andre improve their strength and cardio respectively and Lars, Marsalis and the transfer provide solid minutes. Joel Brown will make the next step and improve. Lot of if's, but I am pulling for them hard and hope other's on the string, are supportive and come out to the games.

I'm curious what you've actually witnessed that leads you to the conclusion that Fox is hard at work and hasn't mailed it in? Don't mean this in a jerky way, but genuinely asking.

There are many factors that would lead one to reasonably conclude Fox has mailed it in, such as complete lack of communication, lack of media participation, lack of fan engagement efforts, lack of recruiting results, lack of on the court results, loss of your best player, and most notably, not bothering to any make any staffing changes after two years of poor recruiting and suffering through the worst conference season in Cal history.

Obviously, Fox still has to hold practices and go through the motions of recruiting and the like to avoid termination for breach of contract or negligence, but what has he actually done beyond this bare minimum? I mean he didn't even bother to spend the time to change a single position on his staff after a historic failure of a season.

And then there's also the failure to capitalize on the rare opportunity provided by the transfer portal this year. All you have to do is look around the conference and see the coaches that overhauled their teams and know who is actually making efforts to try to succeed.
My responses to the questions posed and to be clear I am objective and firmly believe Fox/staff must show noticeable improvement in the W/L column to be retained. "Mailed it in"? Absolutely no - his schedule is packed from early morning well into the evening all things related to our program. Recent recruiting trip he did (no access to private planes that nearly All Power 5 conf HC have, had him in Atlanta watching a prospect play, drive 80 miles afterwards to catch a another kid play in Birmingham at 2pm, then at the conclusion of that game, drive back to Atlanta to catch 2 more games, finishing up at 10pm. Totally agree that is the life of a HC, but the time being put in, is not being cut back. 2) Practices are spirited and very energetic, Coach Fox is fiery and demanding, he and his staff bring it and demand the same from the players. 3) Loss of Bradley - agreed that is squarely on Fox. MB did commit his word during mid season,to coming back this coming season, but then changed his mind by entering the portal (Dad is extremely close to him/much like a best friend analogy and advisor) Fox was upset and told MB that his spot is of course his, should he change his mind, but he did not "re recruit" him via face to face meetings etc in his home town. There were some outbursts during the season both toward a assistant coach and various teammates, but really more so due to the extreme competitive nature and the weight of the losing and perception that bball meant more to him than a few teammates. 3) Recruiting efforts are consistent and they have been down to the wire on some key prospects, but whether it was academics (can't underestimate how difficult the bar is for Cal to accept the student under/around 3.0 gpa etc plus the other schools playing up the rigors of the academic load at Cal etc), lack of a practice facility, wanting extra benefits etc, those players were not closed. Regardless, too many misses on the players recruited frankly. 4) fan involvement or lack there of? Actually fine - Fox meets with the Excellence group supporters 3-4 times/during the season for breakfast and also hosts another get together whether at his house or a event on a larger scale for more supporters. I can't comment on Social media impressions/consistency, don't know. Media appearances are met as required. 5) Staff changes? Coach Johnson left voluntarily at the end of the season and the players greatly respected him - at 66 years old and not seeing his wife too much, he has returned to Texas. I would agree with you on mixing it up, but HC's have their trust developed and are confident in the teaching of their system by those who are hired and 2 seasons (with the last one being highly constricted and the team was beset by some key injuries to Grant, Matt, Jarred, Jalen and initially to Andre restricting his on court practice time) was not a clear indicator that his support assistants were detrimental.
Cal has one just one conf title in the past 60 years (roulette wheel has better odds) and we pull for the program because we are alums, cheer on the underdog, our competitive pride and the fun it is going to a game on campus that has a raucous environment. There are a number of obstacles fans (me included) don't fully appreciate and one that is glossed over, is that the funds raised privately while decent, are woefully behind the constant leaders in our conf. That matters as private planes allow much quicker and more effective responses, to effectively recruit plus allows more territory to be covered in the same time periods. Assistant coaches can be paid more, Players can miss less class time etc. Lack of a private gym is a huge factor for the prospect who believes the NBA/professional contract is a strong possibility. All issues we know, but the reality is Cal is running a race with weights on their shoulders plain and simple. Yes valid excuses - but not to finish dead last. The team has to produce this season - will be very telling and hopefully they can be healthy and compete even up.
sluggo
Thanks for your insider perspective. I would never guess that Fox's failures are a result of his not working hard enough. Rather, he appears to be a dinosaur. The world moved and he did not move with it. I don't know what he thought he would do when he got that Cal job, a job that he should not have gotten given his mediocre to worse results. But he was available and the AD felt cultural affinity for him.

These are the ways I think he has gone wrong since coming to Cal. First, he needed to play at a faster pace. Maybe if he had success like Tony Bennett he could walk it up. But no top recruit prefers a slower pace. You can mention excuses like grades and no practice facility, but I think this is huge and it is his fault. I don't care if that is not what he likes. Second, he had to do everything he could to keep his top player. If that is beneath him then he is in the wrong business. Third, he needed to hire an offensive guru assistant as the offensive executions of his teams is awful. He showed in the first year that he could teach defense, but one has to know their strengths and weaknesses. Fourth, he needed a better recruiting strategy. Mine would be Bay Area, Southern California and foreign. Perhaps foreigners were not realistic during the pandemic, but one has to question the assistant coach who has those roots. It is amazing he did not hire a west coast recruiting specialist given he had no west coast ties. If he did not have money he needed to give someone a chance who was young or from the outside. Running around chasing randoms and semi-randoms is work, but it was not going to get him anywhere.

The team has no chance this coming year. It is too late for him now. I maintain that Cal is one of the best academic schools in the world, has the best weather in the world and an interesting campus and urban environment. Someone else could make it work. (This is all pre-NIL, post-NIL who knows.)
HoopDreams
4th Gen

Thanks for the write up. We aren't a blueblood like UCLA, AZ and now Oregon

We have high academic which reduces the pool who can qualify and require more study time/tougher grading for the student athletes

We are at the bottom of the conference with no momentum and a poor short term outlook

We don't have a dedicated practice facility

Sounds like we also don't have access to some other things such as chartered flights for recruiting and most away games

Our coaching staff is unremarkable on paper compared to many teams in the conference

We are not in a recruiting hotbed like the LA teams (although better than Oregon and Utah)

We don't have a massive sports sponsor like Nike for Oregon, and per your info we apparently lag in donations in general

Some of our immediate competitive peers (WSU, OSU, Colorado) seemly have left us at the station

Some pluses are we are a top academic school, although Stanford, UCLA and some could argue UW are in a similar stratosphere

We are in the Bay Area which is a cultural and business hub, in contrast to places like Pullman, Tuscan and Corvallis, although for most 17-22 year olds, the LA scene is better

We have a solid arena (maybe middle of the PAC)

In summary we are running at a deficit in every basketball related area, and our advantages are only secondary considerations for most recruits

So besides a new basketball practice facility which apparently not happening anytime soon, which of these deficits can we close or even turn into an advantage given our on court results this year are unlikely to create huge new momentum ala Oregon States run to the Elite Eight?

On thing I've advocated is to be the absolute best at social media. We launched a program but despite some nice features don't really stand out from other programs
4thGenCal
sluggo said:

Thanks for your insider perspective. I would never guess that Fox's failures are a result of his not working hard enough. Rather, he appears to be a dinosaur. The world moved and he did not move with it. I don't know what he thought he would do when he got that Cal job, a job that he should not have gotten given his mediocre to worse results. But he was available and the AD felt cultural affinity for him.

These are the ways I think he has gone wrong since coming to Cal. First, he needed to play at a faster pace. Maybe if he had success like Tony Bennett he could walk it up. But no top recruit prefers a slower pace. You can mention excuses like grades and no practice facility, but I think this is huge and it is his fault. I don't care if that is not what he likes. Second, he had to do everything he could to keep his top player. If that is beneath him then he is in the wrong business. Third, he needed to hire an offensive guru assistant as the offensive executions of his teams is awful. He showed in the first year that he could teach defense, but one has to know their strengths and weaknesses. Fourth, he needed a better recruiting strategy. Mine would be Bay Area, Southern California and foreign. Perhaps foreigners were not realistic during the pandemic, but one has to question the assistant coach who has those roots. It is amazing he did not hire a west coast recruiting specialist given he had no west coach ties. If he did not have money he needed to give someone a chance who was young or from the outside. Running around chasing randoms and semi-randoms is work, but it was not going to get him anywhere.

The team has no chance this coming year. It is too late for him now. I maintain that Cal is one of the best academic schools in the world, has the best weather in the world and an interesting campus and urban environment. Someone else could make it work. (This is all pre-NIL, post-NIL who knows.)

Thanks Sluggo and I agree on your points of 2 - 4 and maybe the last one as well. Fox would desire to play faster per his comments, its just that he conceded that with his roster the first 2 seasons he would not be at all competitive (defined as having a chance to win with less than 5 minutes to go). The roster lacked sufficient depth, minimal athleticism, and truly skilled open floor ball handlers. He often referred to his good friend - current HC at Nebraska who told him "I like our offensive scoring output" and Fox would smile and say and how many games did you win or have a chance of winning (they had an even worse season in the Big10). He has been frustrated that AK runs out of gas (thus gets in early foul trouble), Lars regresses in games from his practice effectiveness, and the lack of a physical defense, with proper rotations. The team simply would not have been close trying a faster pace than a game designed to be in the 60's. However yes - that is a necessary goal to attract the players of today, but to not underestimate the academic hurdles to gain admission, is the basis for understanding how tough it is to get those types of players.
This program in my view for the long term, needs a practice facility to entice the high end prospect (All top programs have one, as well as all but one in the conference) and needs an administration willing to take a few chances on the marginal student athlete (by providing the right support structure academically). Certainly we also need more donors stepping up, as that saying "money does not talk, it shouts" rings true. Football has the grid club and when needed funds are privately raised (not easily btw) they help retain key coaches, who otherwise would be poached away by our league competitors.
Big C
4thGenCal said:

PtownBear1 said:

4thGenCal said:

My responses to the questions posed and to be clear I am objective and firmly believe Fox/staff must show noticeable improvement in the W/L column to be retained. "Mailed it in"? Absolutely no - his schedule is packed from early morning well into the evening all things related to our program. Recent recruiting trip he did (no access to private planes that nearly All Power 5 conf HC have, had him in Atlanta watching a prospect play, drive 80 miles afterwards to catch a another kid play in Birmingham at 2pm, then at the conclusion of that game, drive back to Atlanta to catch 2 more games, finishing up at 10pm. Totally agree that is the life of a HC, but the time being put in, is not being cut back. 2) Practices are spirited and very energetic, Coach Fox is fiery and demanding, he and his staff bring it and demand the same from the players. 3) Loss of Bradley - agreed that is squarely on Fox. MB did commit his word during mid season,to coming back this coming season, but then changed his mind by entering the portal (Dad is extremely close to him/much like a best friend analogy and advisor) Fox was upset and told MB that his spot is of course his, should he change his mind, but he did not "re recruit" him via face to face meetings etc in his home town. There were some outbursts during the season both toward a assistant coach and various teammates, but really more so due to the extreme competitive nature and the weight of the losing and perception that bball meant more to him than a few teammates. 3) Recruiting efforts are consistent and they have been down to the wire on some key prospects, but whether it was academics (can't underestimate how difficult the bar is for Cal to accept the student under/around 3.0 gpa etc plus the other schools playing up the rigors of the academic load at Cal etc), lack of a practice facility, wanting extra benefits etc, those players were not closed. Regardless, too many misses on the players recruited frankly. 4) fan involvement or lack there of? Actually fine - Fox meets with the Excellence group supporters 3-4 times/during the season for breakfast and also hosts another get together whether at his house or a event on a larger scale for more supporters. I can't comment on Social media impressions/consistency, don't know. Media appearances are met as required. 5) Staff changes? Coach Johnson left voluntarily at the end of the season and the players greatly respected him - at 66 years old and not seeing his wife too much, he has returned to Texas. I would agree with you on mixing it up, but HC's have their trust developed and are confident in the teaching of their system by those who are hired and 2 seasons (with the last one being highly constricted and the team was beset by some key injuries to Grant, Matt, Jarred, Jalen and initially to Andre restricting his on court practice time) was not a clear indicator that his support assistants were detrimental.
Cal has one just one conf title in the past 60 years (roulette wheel has better odds) and we pull for the program because we are alums, cheer on the underdog, our competitive pride and the fun it is going to a game on campus that has a raucous environment. There are a number of obstacles fans (me included) don't fully appreciate and one that is glossed over, is that the funds raised privately while decent, are woefully behind the constant leaders in our conf. That matters as private planes allow much quicker and more effective responses, to effectively recruit plus allows more territory to be covered in the same time periods. Assistant coaches can be paid more, Players can miss less class time etc. Lack of a private gym is a huge factor for the prospect who believes the NBA/professional contract is a strong possibility. All issues we know, but the reality is Cal is running a race with weights on their shoulders plain and simple. Yes valid excuses - but not to finish dead last. The team has to produce this season - will be very telling and hopefully they can be healthy and compete even up.

We always appreciate your info/perspective, 4thGen.

The fact that Fox was not my first choice to hire and the fact that Matt Bradley chose to leave, to me those are both water under the bridge, at this point. Where do we go from here?

1. Sounds like Fox makes an effort to woo the large donors, but all us "average" fans (I am a long-time season ticket holder) get is this radio silence, so it is only natural for many of us to perceive that he is ignoring the "face of the program" aspect of his job. Obviously though, the #1 thing he can do to get butts in the seats is win... and hopefully that is what he's concentrating on. Thanks for the reassurance there.

2. You have referenced the injuries to Hyder and Celestine. Any more info on that? I remember one of them coming up lame towards the end of our last or next-to-last game. Without much other shooting ability in our backcourt, I think we are really going to need Celestine to step up this season. Hyder, too, but the transfer, Shepherd, seems to have a similar skill set.

3. Would tend to agree with sluggo that our prime recruiting areas seem like they should be... a) California... b) Pac 12 footprint and... c) foreign. Not sure what chances we have with Top 200 players from back east, but maybe Fox and Francis feel they have connections they can tap there. Anyway, that's way above my pay grade.

4. Regarding all the constraints that the program faces, I'd really like to see those get smoothed out, which, in turn, would help us attract better players and coaches. Otherwise, what hope will we ever have to be a consistent winner? Right now, it just feels like we're spinning our wheels. Unfortunately, this one is also above my pay grade... literally. (Hopin' for 5 lucky numbers and 1 mega-number. Players would love the new Big C Practice Facility!)

Go Bears.
4thGenCal
Big C said:

4thGenCal said:

PtownBear1 said:

4thGenCal said:

We always appreciate your info/perspective, 4thGen.

The fact that Fox was not my first choice to hire and the fact that Matt Bradley chose to leave, to me those are both water under the bridge, at this point. Where do we go from here?

1. Sounds like Fox makes an effort to woo the large donors, but all us "average" fans (I am a long-time season ticket holder) get is this radio silence, so it is only natural for many of us to perceive that he is ignoring the "face of the program" aspect of his job. Obviously though, the #1 thing he can do to get butts in the seats is win... and hopefully that is what he's concentrating on. Thanks for the reassurance there.

2. You have referenced the injuries to Hyder and Celestine. Any more info on that? I remember one of them coming up lame towards the end of our last or next-to-last game. Without much other shooting ability in our backcourt, I think we are really going to need Celestine to step up this season. Hyder, too, but the transfer, Shepherd, seems to have a similar skill set.

3. Would tend to agree with sluggo that our prime recruiting areas seem like they should be... a) California... b) Pac 12 footprint and... c) foreign. Not sure what chances we have with Top 200 players from back east, but maybe Fox and Francis feel they have connections they can tap there. Anyway, that's way above my pay grade.

4. Regarding all the constraints that the program faces, I'd really like to see those get smoothed out, which, in turn, would help us attract better players and coaches. Otherwise, what hope will we ever have to be a consistent winner? Right now, it just feels like we're spinning our wheels. Unfortunately, this one is also above my pay grade... literally. (Hopin' for 5 lucky numbers and 1 mega-number. Players would love the new Big C Practice Facility!)

Go Bears.
Thanks Big C - Hyder still recovering from a foot stress fracture, but Celestine has been cleared for light workouts (knee issue previously). Raising more annual basketball donations (Jay John is the coordinator/fund raising lead) is really important, need to get to $1M annually and we are not close to that. However there is a fairly consistent group of people who regularly give $25k+- The dedicated practice facility needs a key donor to take the lead (discussions in place but no set close date) but its a big upfront commitment to kick start the spending toward entitlements, plans, funding to close out etc. Likely would need a upfront $20M+- pledge to commit to it.
Chapman_is_Gone
4thGenCal said:

sluggo said:

These are the ways I think he has gone wrong since coming to Cal. First, he needed to play at a faster pace. Maybe if he had success like Tony Bennett he could walk it up. But no top recruit prefers a slower pace. You can mention excuses like grades and no practice facility, but I think this is huge and it is his fault. I don't care if that is not what he likes. Second, he had to do everything he could to keep his top player. If that is beneath him then he is in the wrong business. Third, he needed to hire an offensive guru assistant as the offensive executions of his teams is awful. He showed in the first year that he could teach defense, but one has to know their strengths and weaknesses. Fourth, he needed a better recruiting strategy. Mine would be Bay Area, Southern California and foreign. Perhaps foreigners were not realistic during the pandemic, but one has to question the assistant coach who has those roots. It is amazing he did not hire a west coast recruiting specialist given he had no west coach ties. If he did not have money he needed to give someone a chance who was young or from the outside. Running around chasing randoms and semi-randoms is work, but it was not going to get him anywhere.

Thanks Sluggo and I agree on your points of 2 - 4 and maybe the last one as well. Fox would desire to play faster per his comments, its just that he conceded that with his roster the first 2 seasons he would not be at all competitive (defined as having a chance to win with less than 5 minutes to go). The roster lacked sufficient depth, minimal athleticism, and truly skilled open floor ball handlers. He often referred to his good friend - current HC at Nebraska who told him "I like our offensive scoring output" and Fox would smile and say and how many games did you win or have a chance of winning (they had an even worse season in the Big10). He has been frustrated that AK runs out of gas (thus gets in early foul trouble), Lars regresses in games from his practice effectiveness, and the lack of a physical defense, with proper rotations. The team simply would not have been close trying a faster pace than a game designed to be in the 60's. However yes - that is a necessary goal to attract the players of today, but to not underestimate the academic hurdles to gain admission, is the basis for understanding how tough it is to get those types of players.
This program in my view for the long term, needs a practice facility to entice the high end prospect (All top programs have one, as well as all but one in the conference) and needs an administration willing to take a few chances on the marginal student athlete (by providing the right support structure academically). Certainly we also need more donors stepping up, as that saying "money does not talk, it shouts" rings true. Football has the grid club and when needed funds are privately raised (not easily btw) they help retain key coaches, who otherwise would be poached away by our league competitors.
Cal wants more donors to step up, yet Cal insults us to our faces by hiring a completely unqualified coach such as Wyking Jones? We're not stupid, you know... It'll be quite a bit longer before I forgive that decision...

WalterSobchak
Chapman_is_Gone said:

4thGenCal said:

sluggo said:

Cal wants more donors to step up, yet Cal insults us to our faces by hiring a completely unqualified coach such as Wyking Jones? We're not stupid, you know... It'll be quite a bit longer before I forgive that decision...

Seriously. The apologizing and excuse making is ridiculous. This goes back waaaay farther than Fox. There are 3 possibilities: 1) they intentionally dismantled the program (likely as a cost saving measure); 2) they are absolutely, irredeemably, incompetent; 3) both. They could have all the things they complain about if they would honestly set them as goals and allow to happen the things necessary to make them happen. It's that simple.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.