PAC-12 stars withdrawing from the draft

3,009 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by socaliganbear
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal will face UCLA's Johnny juzang and Cody Riley, uSC's Isaiah Mobley, ASU's Marcus Bagley, Oregon's Eric Williams Jr and OSU's Warith Alatishe, Maurice Calloo and Roman Silva.

https://pac-12.com/article/2021/07/08/pac-12-mens-basketball-stars-announce-return-2021-22-season
socaliganbear
The gap is certainly not moving in our favor. Way to go, Fox.
SFCityBear
socaliganbear said:

The gap is certainly not moving in our favor. Way to go, Fox.
Fox has no control or influence on which players from opposing teams decide to enter or not enter the draft. Fox has plenty of things you can legitimately blame him for, but blaming him for the decisions of other team's players to not enter the draft is not one of them.
SFCityBear
stu
I can blame Fox for not having any players remotely qualified for the NBA draft.
SFCityBear
stu said:

I can blame Fox for not having any players remotely qualified for the NBA draft.
Your are probably right, but it seems a lot to ask of a coach having been out of basketball for a year, then taking the Cal job and having only a couple of months to try and develop West Coast contacts, and sign his first class from players not already committed to other schools. He did have a full year to recruit his 2nd class, so I'd base my criticism of Fox on what we saw last season, except that it was the year of Covid, and I can't evaluate this year's class until they actually play in games. Of the players from 2018-19 that Fox failed to keep, I doubt that any of them would have been qualified for the NBA either. After he was hired and players had defected, I was hoping he would hold some scholarships, rather than waste them on projects or grad transfers. But he didn't, and it is what it is. I think we were spoiled by Cuonzo, who had a poor first recruiting class, but everyone knew he had a shot at Brown and Rabb, and he delivered on them. Still, I have argued forever that one-and-dones don't help you, unless you can complement them with some very good teammates, and keep a steady stream of stars coming in the years ahead. Cuonzo was not successful at that, but 3 seasons is too short a time to judge a coach, IMO, whether it be Cuonzo or Fox. Where Fox has disappointed me the most, is in his coaching. We knew he was not a good offensive coach, but his defense has not looked good either, overall. And I haven't been overwhelmed by his public personality. If I was a player needing to decide where to go, I'm not sure he would be able to convince me to play for him, not based on the record, but just how the team looks on the floor. They don't take advantage of their strengths and they don't play together. It seemed like all we did was pass the ball to Bradley and clear space for him, or watch while Betley and Foreman shot way too many shots by themselves. If that is sharing the ball, I don't want to see it anymore. I'll get sucked in and tune in for a few games this season, hoping for improvement.
SFCityBear
stu
Good point SFCityBear about one-and-done recruits. I'd rather have a steady stream of 3- and 4-stay players who will stay 4 years. But so far I haven't seen that and 2022 isn't yet looking better. It might be too early to tell but I'm getting impatient.

Regarding coaching and personality, these are my priorities for a coach:

1) Integrity. Fox seems to have that.

2) Ability to work with Cal academics. Fox seems to have that.

3) Personal relations. A head coach has to relate well to a variety recruits, players, staff, administration, donors, media, and fans. I have seen no evidence this is a strong point with Fox.

4a) Organization. A Pac-12 BB team has a lot of moving parts which need to work together smoothly. I don't have any direct knowledge but I'm not seeing the kind of improvement I'd expect from a well-oiled machine.

4b) Strategy. I'm not seeing schemes to get the most out of each player toward the end of helping the team.

4c) Teaching. I'm not seeing a lot of individual improvement, though I did see Paris Austin's defense improve dramatically under Fox.
HoopDreams
stu said:

Good point SFCityBear about one-and-done recruits. I'd rather have a steady stream of 3- and 4-stay players who will stay 4 years. But so far I haven't seen that and 2022 isn't yet looking better. It might be too early to tell but I'm getting impatient.

Regarding coaching and personality, these are my priorities for a coach:

3) Personal relations. A head coach has to relate well to a variety recruits, players, staff, administration, donors, media, and fans. I have seen no evidence this is a strong point with Fox.
I've had 2 interactions with Fox

1) pushing through a small group of fans with an angry look on his face (I'm not saying he pushed us inappropriately...I'm just saying if you have some brief interactions with fans, you might not was to treat them as an impediment for you to leave the court)

2) ditto
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

stu said:

Your are probably right, but it seems a lot to ask of a coach having been out of basketball for a year, then taking the Cal job and having only a couple of months to try and develop West Coast contacts, and sign his first class from players not already committed to other schools. He did have a full year to recruit his 2nd class, so I'd base my criticism of Fox on what we saw last season, except that it was the year of Covid, and I can't evaluate this year's class until they actually play in games. Of the players from 2018-19 that Fox failed to keep, I doubt that any of them would have been qualified for the NBA either. After he was hired and players had defected, I was hoping he would hold some scholarships, rather than waste them on projects or grad transfers. But he didn't, and it is what it is. I think we were spoiled by Cuonzo, who had a poor first recruiting class, but everyone knew he had a shot at Brown and Rabb, and he delivered on them. Still, I have argued forever that one-and-dones don't help you, unless you can complement them with some very good teammates, and keep a steady stream of stars coming in the years ahead. Cuonzo was not successful at that, but 3 seasons is too short a time to judge a coach, IMO, whether it be Cuonzo or Fox. Where Fox has disappointed me the most, is in his coaching. We knew he was not a good offensive coach, but his defense has not looked good either, overall. And I haven't been overwhelmed by his public personality. If I was a player needing to decide where to go, I'm not sure he would be able to convince me to play for him, not based on the record, but just how the team looks on the floor. They don't take advantage of their strengths and they don't play together. It seemed like all we did was pass the ball to Bradley and clear space for him, or watch while Betley and Foreman shot way too many shots by themselves. If that is sharing the ball, I don't want to see it anymore. I'll get sucked in and tune in for a few games this season, hoping for improvement.

Good points, but the above was known about Fox when we hired him, which is why I place the blame on Knowlton. Tough to blame Fox for accepting a contract for nearly $2 million per year, more than the one he got fired from, in a great location but one where he had no recruiting ties after getting no appreciable offers for a year.
CalLifer
SFCityBear said:

stu said:

Your are probably right, but it seems a lot to ask of a coach having been out of basketball for a year, then taking the Cal job and having only a couple of months to try and develop West Coast contacts, and sign his first class from players not already committed to other schools.
To me, this is still letting Fox (maybe Knowlton more) off the hook. If those things were actually harder for Fox, we should certainly be able to ask (1) why he was the choice, and (2) why he didn't come in with a better plan (i.e. an assistant with real California/west-coast recruiting ties).

Quote:

He did have a full year to recruit his 2nd class, so I'd base my criticism of Fox on what we saw last season, except that it was the year of Covid, and I can't evaluate this year's class until they actually play in games.
If only there were other 2nd year coaches around the country who also had to play during the year of Covid that we could maybe compare Fox with to see how they were progressing. But unfortunately, only Fox was in that position, so I guess we'll never know if maybe he could have done better </sarcasm>.

Quote:

Of the players from 2018-19 that Fox failed to keep, I doubt that any of them would have been qualified for the NBA either.

Those players would have contributed *significantly* to our team being considerably better than we were. Sueing was a key contributor to a very strong OSU team that challenged for the league title in a conference with 3 or 4 top 2 seeds in the tournament (so among the top 8 teams in the country). Vanover, esp by the end of his freshman year, was playing at a level better than any of our centers the following year. I do think Vanover made a bad choice going to Arkansas to play for a coach whose up-and-down style didn't mesh with his abilities, but Fox didn't hold on to him.

I appreciate you are responding to a previous poster's comment about NBA caliber players, but this is another way of not holding Fox accountable for dramatically reducing the talent of the team.

Quote:

After he was hired and players had defected, I was hoping he would hold some scholarships, rather than waste them on projects or grad transfers. But he didn't, and it is what it is. I think we were spoiled by Cuonzo, who had a poor first recruiting class, but everyone knew he had a shot at Brown and Rabb, and he delivered on them. Still, I have argued forever that one-and-dones don't help you, unless you can complement them with some very good teammates, and keep a steady stream of stars coming in the years ahead. Cuonzo was not successful at that, but 3 seasons is too short a time to judge a coach, IMO, whether it be Cuonzo or Fox. Where Fox has disappointed me the most, is in his coaching. We knew he was not a good offensive coach, but his defense has not looked good either, overall. And I haven't been overwhelmed by his public personality. If I was a player needing to decide where to go, I'm not sure he would be able to convince me to play for him, not based on the record, but just how the team looks on the floor. They don't take advantage of their strengths and they don't play together. It seemed like all we did was pass the ball to Bradley and clear space for him, or watch while Betley and Foreman shot way too many shots by themselves. If that is sharing the ball, I don't want to see it anymore. I'll get sucked in and tune in for a few games this season, hoping for improvement.

I agree with most of this, but to combine all of it, the bottom line is that Fox has disappointed with his ability to hold onto the talent on the team when he was hired, disappointed with his recruiting, and disappointed with his coaching. Quite the trifecta!
calumnus
CalLifer said:

SFCityBear said:

stu said:

Your are probably right, but it seems a lot to ask of a coach having been out of basketball for a year, then taking the Cal job and having only a couple of months to try and develop West Coast contacts, and sign his first class from players not already committed to other schools.
To me, this is still letting Fox (maybe Knowlton more) off the hook. If those things were actually harder for Fox, we should certainly be able to ask (1) why he was the choice, and (2) why he didn't come in with a better plan (i.e. an assistant with real California/west-coast recruiting ties).

Quote:

He did have a full year to recruit his 2nd class, so I'd base my criticism of Fox on what we saw last season, except that it was the year of Covid, and I can't evaluate this year's class until they actually play in games.
If only there were other 2nd year coaches around the country who also had to play during the year of Covid that we could maybe compare Fox with to see how they were progressing. But unfortunately, only Fox was in that position, so I guess we'll never know if maybe he could have done better </sarcasm>.

Quote:

Of the players from 2018-19 that Fox failed to keep, I doubt that any of them would have been qualified for the NBA either.

Those players would have contributed *significantly* to our team being considerably better than we were. Sueing was a key contributor to a very strong OSU team that challenged for the league title in a conference with 3 or 4 top 2 seeds in the tournament (so among the top 8 teams in the country). Vanover, esp by the end of his freshman year, was playing at a level better than any of our centers the following year. I do think Vanover made a bad choice going to Arkansas to play for a coach whose up-and-down style didn't mesh with his abilities, but Fox didn't hold on to him.

I appreciate you are responding to a previous poster's comment about NBA caliber players, but this is another way of not holding Fox accountable for dramatically reducing the talent of the team.

Quote:

After he was hired and players had defected, I was hoping he would hold some scholarships, rather than waste them on projects or grad transfers. But he didn't, and it is what it is. I think we were spoiled by Cuonzo, who had a poor first recruiting class, but everyone knew he had a shot at Brown and Rabb, and he delivered on them. Still, I have argued forever that one-and-dones don't help you, unless you can complement them with some very good teammates, and keep a steady stream of stars coming in the years ahead. Cuonzo was not successful at that, but 3 seasons is too short a time to judge a coach, IMO, whether it be Cuonzo or Fox. Where Fox has disappointed me the most, is in his coaching. We knew he was not a good offensive coach, but his defense has not looked good either, overall. And I haven't been overwhelmed by his public personality. If I was a player needing to decide where to go, I'm not sure he would be able to convince me to play for him, not based on the record, but just how the team looks on the floor. They don't take advantage of their strengths and they don't play together. It seemed like all we did was pass the ball to Bradley and clear space for him, or watch while Betley and Foreman shot way too many shots by themselves. If that is sharing the ball, I don't want to see it anymore. I'll get sucked in and tune in for a few games this season, hoping for improvement.

I agree with most of this, but to combine all of it, the bottom line is that Fox has disappointed with his ability to hold onto the talent on the team when he was hired, disappointed with his recruiting, and disappointed with his coaching. Quite the trifecta!

Unfortunately it was not a disappointment because this is what was to be expected. He is not an up and coming unknown, he was a known entity. It was just a horrible hire by Knowlton.
Calmath79
wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

Cal will face UCLA's Johnny juzang and Cody Riley, uSC's Isaiah Mobley, ASU's Marcus Bagley, Oregon's Eric Williams Jr and OSU's Warith Alatishe, Maurice Calloo and Roman Silva.

https://pac-12.com/article/2021/07/08/pac-12-mens-basketball-stars-announce-return-2021-22-season
Guess Fox can now sell playing in a strong conference.
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

Guess Fox can now sell playing in a strong conference.

A chance to fill Bradley's shoes as the high scorer on the lowest scoring, last place team, playing in front of naturally socially distanced fans.
helltopay1
Cal social distancing definition.....Distance between Haas Pavilion and thousands of students walking South on telegraph ave. Seen it a hundred times....many Cal students wouldn't go to Haas Pavilion to witness the resurrection..( even for free)
helltopay1
Dear Stu: If you don't have #3, none of thge others matter.
helltopay1
Dear Hoop dreams..very disturbing if true..

On the radio post-game show, I heard him say, "the last place I want to be is on the Radio talking to you guys." Ouch...
Re; Knowlton..Sometimes you only get one chance to make an impression..Not only was the selection of Fox problematic, but, the process left a lot to be admired. Obviously, not a Basketball guy..There was nothing in his background which suggested he was a basketball guy. That only leaves Football. So, if Kn Wilton proves to be a flop, some of the criticism has to be borne by Chancellor Christ.
calumnus
helltopay1 said:

On the radio post-game show, I heard him say, "the last place I want to be is on the Radio talking to you guys." Ouch...
Re; Knowlton..Sometimes you only get one chance to make an impression..Not only was the selection of Fox problematic, but, the process left a lot to be admired. Obviously, not a Basketball guy..There was nothing in his background which suggested he was a basketball guy. That only leaves Football. So, if Kn Wilton proves to be a flop, some of the criticism has to be borne by Chancellor Christ.

Wilcox was hired by Mike Williams.

Yes, the core problem was Christ hiring Knowlton, whose experience in the military, hockey and military academies was a poor fit for being Cal's AD at this critical juncture in our history.
wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

Yes, the core problem was Christ hiring Knowlton, whose experience in the military, hockey and military academies was a poor fit for being Cal's AD at this critical juncture in our history.
Looking at the conference realignment occurring, basketball simply doesn't matter. Cal may have a very talented roster for whatever conference Cal competes or be simply overmatched. Stay tuned.
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

Looking at the conference realignment occurring, basketball simply doesn't matter. Cal may have a very talented roster for whatever conference Cal competes or be simply overmatched. Stay tuned.

My guess is the realignment will be for football only. Football is only 12 games on weekends, 5 or 6 games on the road. A far flung conference works just fine. Basketball, especially with weekday games, tends toward regional conferences. Would the PAC-12 play hardball and kick USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington out of the conference in all the other sports if they left for football? My guess is no.

While basketball doesn't matter, I do take Knowlton's handling of the Fox hire as just another data point that he is not the visionary leader with out of the box ideas, strategies and negotiation skills that we need to guide Cal at this critical time in the history of college athletics. He will likely just hitch our wagon to the new PAC-12 commissioner and hope for the best. We just have to hope Kliavkoff comes up with a good strategy.
SFCityBear
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

SFCityBear
SFCityBear
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

Many have suggested over the years that Cal join the Ivy League, for football at least. It is clear that we are now not keeping up with the PAC12 in basketball, and it may be that it is too tough a basketball conference for us.

If NCAA tournament results are a good standard, I'd propose that Cal look into joining the Big Ten. The NCAA invited 9 Big Ten teams to the tournament last season, and only one of them made it out of the 2nd round. Two of them lost in the first round, and one lost in the opening round of 4, and did not even make it into the first round. All the PAC12 teams invited did far better in the NCAA last season. I think with a little luck, Cal might be able to be competitive in the Big Ten. And the plane flights to most Big Ten schools are shorter than the flights to the Ivy League arenas.
SFCityBear
stu
To me the coach is a bigger concern than the conference. I doubt out last two coaches would have great success in any respectable conference.
socaliganbear
stu said:

To me the coach is a bigger concern than the conference. I doubt out last two coaches would have great success in any respectable conference.

Cuonzo isn't shaking out too well at Missouri. And with a new AD there, time may be up soon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.