Coaching Candidates Thread

14,185 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HoopDreams
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As I said, I am back when I said I would be: https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/87855/replies/1603808

So, where do we start? Didn't pay a lick of attention during the season, and our old pal Cuonzo is probably gone at Missouri, Tom Crean got ousted (again) and Bruce Weber packed it in, but who should we have mind this time around?
eastcoastcal
On a few other threads, there have been a few names that have consistently popped up- Gates, Golden being the most common. I am a freshman at Cal and thus do not know a ton about what has given us past success and what exactly the formula for success is at Cal, however I was wondering if any of the wiser people on the forum could clue me in: How imperative is it that our next coach has a connection to Cal? I understand it is always nice to have a coach who understands the 'ins and outs' of the university, but would an assistant at one of the more powerful basketball programs across the nation not like a chance to be the head coach for a P6 team? This is not necessarily a slight towards the aforementioned candidates, but rather was just wondering how essential it is to people on this forum that our next coach be someone with ties to Cal (of course, if the reason is that we don't believe we could pull a top assistant despite offering a promotion to a HC job in the Pac-12, then that perhaps reveals just how dire the situation is). Would appreciate some perspective! Thanks!
stu
As I mentioned in another thread I'd look for experience rebuilding a program which had been down.
diva1
Shanty Legans
bearister
diva1 said:

Shanty Legans

He is a traitor like Haase so maybe Furd for him?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Chapman_is_Gone
diva1 said:

Shanty Legans

Otherwise known by his nickname "Shanty Town". I gots 10 toes down in shanty town.
stu
As reported earlier Hass is not available (right now). <sarcasm>
247 story
calumnus
bearister said:

diva1 said:

Shanty Legans

He left to go play for his mentor and get into coaching (which appears to have worked out). He has always repoed Cal. Haase ripped Cal and coaches for Stanford.

I view Legans similarly to
Matt Bradley
Jordan Mathews

Chapman_is_Gone
May I remind the board that after Jason Kidd made a twisting layup against Duke in the 1993 NCAA tournament -- likely the biggest shot in the program's past 60 years -- it was Jerod Haase who was first there to pick Kidd up off the floor. The same Jerod Haase who gave 110% in every game, diving across the floor for loose balls. And it was Jerod Haase was played like a true baller in many of Cal's most important games, putting up points, boards, and steals, unlike many forgettable Cyberbear player favorites who never played in a big game in their lives or who always disappeared in the biggest games. I won't name names.

Haase deserves far more respect around here than he gets. Especially from you double standard types who are so quick to drool your coach love on ol' Mike Montgomery.

And for those of you making fun of his weight, I GUARANTEE the average Cyberbears' weight is 220 or higher. Prove me wrong.

stu
I liked Haase as a player. No hard feelings since IMHO Bozeman pretty much ran him off.

BTW I weigh around 160 so you need to find a few Cyberbears over 220.
BeachedBear
I provided a long list of names on another thread along with what a responsible AD would be doing about it. Today's favorite name is . . .

Drew Valentine - HC Murray St.

BTW, I saw yesterday that Gates is probably on the short list to take over for Crean at Georgia. Not to mention that the Crean experience at Georgia shows how that program realized that sticking with a dud coach for 9 years was bad. Even a coach with a MUCH BETTER RESUME was not given FIVE YEARS. That old adage is soooo tired. Three years tells us all we need to know.
Civil Bear
calumnus said:

bearister said:

diva1 said:

Shanty Legans

He left to go play for his mentor and get into coaching (which appears to have worked out). He has always repoed Cal. Haase ripped Cal and coaches for Stanford.

Matt Bradley
Jordan Mathews

Legans left Cal to a lesser program after the recruiting cycle, leaving the Bears without an experienced pg as they were poised for a big season. It's not like he couldn't have hooked up with Lopez after graduating.

Yeah, Bradley was also a defector, but honestly, who could blame him for abandoning a sinking ship.

Mathews had graduated and left for the opportunity to play for a national championship.

People get worked up over Pasternack losing his cool for a split second, but Legans did Cal far dirtier, IMO. No thanks.
HearstMining
stu said:

I liked Haase as a player. No hard feelings since IMHO Bozeman pretty much ran him off.

Ditto on both points. I didn't think Haase was a bad guy and I also don't have anything against Brennan Scarlett. I'm 6'-1" and 175lbs. The Sacto. summers will get me down to 170.
HearstMining
HearstMining said:

stu said:

Whoops - sorry for the duplicate post.
Ditto on both points. I didn't think Haase was a bad guy and I also don't have anything against Brennan Scarlett. If you're going to cut Bradley some slack, Scarlett was in the same boat. So what if he went to stanfurd - plenty of Cal alums have gone to grad programs there. Life is too short to hold grudges (except against Bockrath). I'm 6'-1" and 175lbs. The Sacto. summers will get me down to 170.
bearister
calumnus said:

bearister said:

diva1 said:

Shanty Legans

Matt Bradley
Jordan Mathews

Except for the part Bradly and Matthews had game. We got better when Legans left. His last year 3P 31 % during game…until garbage time when Cal was out of it….then it went up to 70 percent….in my humble observation.
BC Calfan
Someone Knowlton can call right now: Mark Turgeon

Probably a longshot but who cares he's available. He's taken his team to the tourney 11x since 2000. 2 Sweet 16s. No West Coast ties but I'm sure he's smart enough and capable to adapt.

He left Maryland midseason this past year and one of the reasons was unrealistic expectations and pressure. He won't have that here!
socaltownie
If I recall correct a big issue for Hass was that his dad was the one that was "all in" on Cal. He was a kid who grew up in South Lake Tahoe - not really an urban hot bed. Freshman year his dad passes. As someone who has been there in their early 20s I can tell you it is a hammerblow so I always understood his desire for a change of scenery. Add in coaching changes and the move always made sense and I never really felt bad toward him.
Take care of your Chicken
KoreAmBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

May I remind the board that after Jason Kidd made a twisting layup against Duke in the 1993 NCAA tournament -- likely the biggest shot in the program's past 60 years -- it was Jerod Haase who was first there to pick Kidd up off the floor. The same Jerod Haase who gave 110% in every game, diving across the floor for loose balls. And it was Jerod Haase was played like a true baller in many of Cal's most important games, putting up points, boards, and steals, unlike many forgettable Cyberbear player favorites who never played in a big game in their lives or who always disappeared in the biggest games. I won't name names.

Haase deserves far more respect around here than he gets. Especially from you double standard types who are so quick to drool your coach love on ol' Mike Montgomery.

And for those of you making fun of his weight, I GUARANTEE the average Cyberbears' weight is 220 or higher. Prove me wrong.

Get your facts right. The twisting pretzel shot was v. LSU. Haase also had a good convo in the open with Roy Williams post-game after we lost to them in the Sweet 16. F him.
bearister
This trip down memory lane talking about former Cal players made me think that I have not checked on Allen Crabbe's status lately. He plays for the Westchester Knicks in the G League.*

*Mr. Crabbe has amassed a tidy $85M in earnings in his NBA career. Way to go Allen! (Former Gael Patty Mills has made $67M and Mathew "I never met a crotch I wouldn't kick" Delevadova $45M)
KoreAmBear
bearister said:

This trip down memory lane talking about former Cal players made me think that I have not checked on Allen Crabbe's status lately. He plays for the Westchester Knicks in the G League.*

*Mr. Crabbe has amassed a tidy $85M in earnings in his NBA career. Way to go Allen! (Former Gael Patty Mills has made $67M and Mathew "I never met a crotch I wouldn't kick" Delevadova $45M)
Damn Allen has generational wealth. Good for him.
calumnus
bearister said:

calumnus said:

bearister said:

diva1 said:

Shanty Legans

Matt Bradley
Jordan Mathews

Except for the part Bradly and Matthews had game. We got better when Legans left. His last year 3P 31 % during game…until garbage time when Cal was out of it….then it went up to 70 percent….in my humble observation.

So then LESS reason to be upset he left?
Big C
Chapman_is_Gone said:

I didn't have a huge problem with Haase leaving Cal for Kansas. He got off the Bozeman ship before it sank.

The only reason I mock Haase for his "unkempt appearance" (one of EricBear's legacy quotes) is because he's coaching for our rival, so I'm looking for things to rip him for, pretty much just for the sake of the rivalry.

For the record, I'm 5-10, 160 and in pretty decent shape. Maybe the portly Haase and I could have a mile race, with all proceeds going to Cal Basketball. (I'm not kidding myself... why would there be significant proceeds?)
KenBurnski
I'm 7'3, 174 and I'm told my frame is perfect to add 10-15 pounds of good weight during off-season strength and conditioning.
bearister
calumnus said:

bearister said:

calumnus said:

bearister said:

diva1 said:

Shanty Legans

Matt Bradley
Jordan Mathews

So then LESS reason to be upset he left?

Who said I was upset? I just said he is a traitor. Benedict Arnold had no hops, no J and no cross over, but it didn't make him any less of a traitor.

*I'm only releasing one personal stat in the Chapman Challenge: 14.5" (after the reduction)
stu
bearister said:

*I'm only releasing one personal stat in the Chapman Challenge: 14.5" (after the reduction)
Neck?
calumnus
The issue with Haase, what makes him completely different from the others who left with eligibility remaining, is he is the head coach at Stanford. Maybe when he gets fired and two years later gets hired at Nevada I will reconsider. Until then, there is no one else who is a "traitor" in my book.
Big C
eastcoastcal said:

On a few other threads, there have been a few names that have consistently popped up- Gates, Golden being the most common. I am a freshman at Cal and thus do not know a ton about what has given us past success and what exactly the formula for success is at Cal, however I was wondering if any of the wiser people on the forum could clue me in: How imperative is it that our next coach has a connection to Cal? I understand it is always nice to have a coach who understands the 'ins and outs' of the university, but would an assistant at one of the more powerful basketball programs across the nation not like a chance to be the head coach for a P6 team? This is not necessarily a slight towards the aforementioned candidates, but rather was just wondering how essential it is to people on this forum that our next coach be someone with ties to Cal (of course, if the reason is that we don't believe we could pull a top assistant despite offering a promotion to a HC job in the Pac-12, then that perhaps reveals just how dire the situation is). Would appreciate some perspective! Thanks!

It's great to have current students posting here!

Age-old question about the value of hiring a coach who went to Cal (or at least worked here, like Wilcox). Hiring a Cal guy for football or basketball might help in a few ways:

+ Maybe the Cal guy takes the job as sort of a labor of love, where somebody else might not even want it.

+ The guy knows Cal and obviously has some fondness for it and so maybe that authentic love of Cal comes across to recruits.

+ The guy understands (at least sort of) how things like Cal admissions, the Cal administration and the City of Berkeley impact his program and so, at a minimum, there aren't any surprises. At a maximum, he navigates better.

+ If successful, maybe the Cal guy is less likely to go elsewhere for a "better" offer.

But one possible huge drawback:

- Maybe the above factors are valued too highly, over more important attributes such as, can the guy actually coach.

In both football and basketball, we tend to put Cal guys on our list that wouldn't even get a sniff otherwise. Examples: Troy Taylor in football. Gates before he ever became a HC in basketball. Bottom line, who the hell knows, but we tend to "feel better" if it's a Cal guy.

bipolarbear
Big C said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

I didn't have a huge problem with Haase leaving Cal for Kansas. He got off the Bozeman ship before it sank.

The only reason I mock Haase for his "unkempt appearance" (one of EricBear's legacy quotes) is because he's coaching for our rival, so I'm looking for things to rip him for, pretty much just for the sake of the rivalry.

For the record, I'm 5-10, 160 and in pretty decent shape. Maybe the portly Haase and I could have a mile race, with all proceeds going to Cal Basketball. (I'm not kidding myself... why would there be significant proceeds?)
Haase is not "unkempt". He is just fat. Otherwise he appears very tidy. It's too bad-he was a good looking kid. I thought he would lose the weight when he left the Midwest, but no. The Tedford style smocks he now wears are a sign of surrender.
Chapman_is_Gone
KoreAmBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Get your facts right. The twisting pretzel shot was v. LSU. Haase also had a good convo in the open with Roy Williams post-game after we lost to them in the Sweet 16. F him.

LOL it is absolutely classic that you are lecturing me on my favorite all-time Cal basketball game, as if you know more about Cal sports than I do. You might want to rewatch the last two minutes of the Duke game, jackass.

Apologize (along with the two morons who upvoted you) or permanently shove it up your ass.
bearister
" Haase is not "unkempt". He is just fat."

I believe that is Example 5 under the Webster's Dictionary definition of the term, "backhanded compliment."

KoreAmBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

KoreAmBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

LOL it is absolutely classic that you are lecturing me on my favorite all-time Cal basketball game, as if you know more about Cal sports than I do. You might want to rewatch the last two minutes of the Duke game, jackass.

Apologize (along with the two morons who upvoted you) or permanently shove it up your ass.
Hey asswipe LSU was the "pretzel shot" game that was the more famous twisting shot. Lecturing lol. As if you don't talk down to everyone you respond to here.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-03-19-sp-12586-story.html

https://www.facebook.com/realjasonkidd/videos/the-pretzel-shot/1829342797109988/

HearstMining
Just out of curiosity, I took a look at USF's roster. They are a veritable United Nations with players from: Slovenia, Italy, England, Belarus, Netherlands, and Ukraine. The balance of the roster is west coast guys, so Golden must have decent connections.
82gradDLSdad
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Dammit. I'm 6'3" though.
LOUMFSG2
BeachedBear said:

I provided a long list of names on another thread along with what a responsible AD would be doing about it. Today's favorite name is . . .

BTW, I saw yesterday that Gates is probably on the short list to take over for Crean at Georgia. Not to mention that the Crean experience at Georgia shows how that program realized that sticking with a dud coach for 9 years was bad. Even a coach with a MUCH BETTER RESUME was not given FIVE YEARS. That old adage is soooo tired. Three years tells us all we need to know.
I believe Drew Valentine is the HC of Loyola Chicago.
Matt McMahon is the HC of Murray State, and I think McMahon would be a great coach at a bigger program. In fact, when we hired Fox, McMahon is the guy I wanted us to go after.
BeachedBear
LOUMFSG2 said:

BeachedBear said:

I believe Drew Valentine is the HC of Loyola Chicago.
Matt McMahon is the HC of Murray State, and I think McMahon would be a great coach at a bigger program. In fact, when we hired Fox, McMahon is the guy I wanted us to go after.
Yes! Good catch on Loyola.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.