Coaching Candidates Thread

15,055 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HoopDreams
mbBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

May I remind the board that after Jason Kidd made a twisting layup against Duke in the 1993 NCAA tournament -- likely the biggest shot in the program's past 60 years -- it was Jerod Haase who was first there to pick Kidd up off the floor. The same Jerod Haase who gave 110% in every game, diving across the floor for loose balls. And it was Jerod Haase was played like a true baller in many of Cal's most important games, putting up points, boards, and steals, unlike many forgettable Cyberbear player favorites who never played in a big game in their lives or who always disappeared in the biggest games. I won't name names.

Haase deserves far more respect around here than he gets. Especially from you double standard types who are so quick to drool your coach love on ol' Mike Montgomery.

And for those of you making fun of his weight, I GUARANTEE the average Cyberbears' weight is 220 or higher. Prove me wrong.

Get your facts right. The twisting pretzel shot was v. LSU. Haase also had a good convo in the open with Roy Williams post-game after we lost to them in the Sweet 16. F him.
Does it really matter if Haase gets respect "here?" Your post/folo up shows little to no regard for the opinions of some of the folks, so what difference do they make, or even have any affect on your thoughts/recollections of him?
socaltownie
Big C said:

eastcoastcal said:

On a few other threads, there have been a few names that have consistently popped up- Gates, Golden being the most common. I am a freshman at Cal and thus do not know a ton about what has given us past success and what exactly the formula for success is at Cal, however I was wondering if any of the wiser people on the forum could clue me in: How imperative is it that our next coach has a connection to Cal? I understand it is always nice to have a coach who understands the 'ins and outs' of the university, but would an assistant at one of the more powerful basketball programs across the nation not like a chance to be the head coach for a P6 team? This is not necessarily a slight towards the aforementioned candidates, but rather was just wondering how essential it is to people on this forum that our next coach be someone with ties to Cal (of course, if the reason is that we don't believe we could pull a top assistant despite offering a promotion to a HC job in the Pac-12, then that perhaps reveals just how dire the situation is). Would appreciate some perspective! Thanks!

It's great to have current students posting here!

Age-old question about the value of hiring a coach who went to Cal (or at least worked here, like Wilcox). Hiring a Cal guy for football or basketball might help in a few ways:

+ Maybe the Cal guy takes the job as sort of a labor of love, where somebody else might not even want it.

+ The guy knows Cal and obviously has some fondness for it and so maybe that authentic love of Cal comes across to recruits.

+ The guy understands (at least sort of) how things like Cal admissions, the Cal administration and the City of Berkeley impact his program and so, at a minimum, there aren't any surprises. At a maximum, he navigates better.

+ If successful, maybe the Cal guy is less likely to go elsewhere for a "better" offer.

But one possible huge drawback:

- Maybe the above factors are valued too highly, over more important attributes such as, can the guy actually coach.

In both football and basketball, we tend to put Cal guys on our list that wouldn't even get a sniff otherwise. Examples: Troy Taylor in football. Gates before he ever became a HC in basketball. Bottom line, who the hell knows, but we tend to "feel better" if it's a Cal guy.

It suggests I think correctly, that cal is a DIFFERENT sell than many other P5 programs and the lived experience is important in overcoming objections from recruits and parents. You have to be able to explain.....

1) How will it be to be an African American student on a campus where close to the majority of AA at Cal are on athletic scholarships?

2) WHat sort of academic experience will my son have at Cal? We have heard it is very hard? Will the support be there?

3) You navigated through the admissions process? Do you think you can make a compelling individual case as an alumn and a coach to have my son admitted even if he is missing that third year of foreign language?
Take care of your Chicken
LegoBear
Lol the biggest thing I remember about Legans was that he had the most toxic friend/family member posting on bearinsider. You all remember that? Absolutely crazy.
BeachedBear
LegoBear said:

Lol the biggest thing I remember about Legans was that he had the most toxic friend/family member posting on bearinsider. You all remember that? Absolutely crazy.
I think it was his mom.
Chapman_is_Gone
KoreAmBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

KoreAmBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

May I remind the board that after Jason Kidd made a twisting layup against Duke in the 1993 NCAA tournament -- likely the biggest shot in the program's past 60 years -- it was Jerod Haase who was first there to pick Kidd up off the floor. The same Jerod Haase who gave 110% in every game, diving across the floor for loose balls. And it was Jerod Haase was played like a true baller in many of Cal's most important games, putting up points, boards, and steals, unlike many forgettable Cyberbear player favorites who never played in a big game in their lives or who always disappeared in the biggest games. I won't name names.

Haase deserves far more respect around here than he gets. Especially from you double standard types who are so quick to drool your coach love on ol' Mike Montgomery.

And for those of you making fun of his weight, I GUARANTEE the average Cyberbears' weight is 220 or higher. Prove me wrong.

Get your facts right. The twisting pretzel shot was v. LSU. Haase also had a good convo in the open with Roy Williams post-game after we lost to them in the Sweet 16. F him.

LOL it is absolutely classic that you are lecturing me on my favorite all-time Cal basketball game, as if you know more about Cal sports than I do. You might want to rewatch the last two minutes of the Duke game, jackass.

Apologize (along with the two morons who upvoted you) or permanently shove it up your ass.
Hey asswipe LSU was the "pretzel shot" game that was the more famous twisting shot. Lecturing lol. As if you don't talk down to everyone you respond to here.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-03-19-sp-12586-story.html

https://www.facebook.com/realjasonkidd/videos/the-pretzel-shot/1829342797109988/

You are the one who used the word "pretzel," not me. And I said Haase was the first one "to pick Kidd up off the floor" after the shot. On the shot against Duke, Kidd fell to the floor. Against LSU, Kidd didn't even fall to the floor. Learn how to read. It is obvious that I was referring to the Duke game the entire time.

If you're going to misread my posts and respond like a ****** bag, please put me on mute. Please.
Chapman_is_Gone
mbBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Does it really matter if Haase gets respect "here?" Your post/folo up shows little to no regard for the opinions of some of the folks, so what difference do they make, or even have any affect on your thoughts/recollections of him?
What difference does any post here make? Why do we spend time here? In the end, it's all meaningless, right?

In my 15+ years on this board, I've learned that the percentage of morons here is about the same as one encounters in the general public (i.e., on BART, in class, on the street, wherever), if not slightly higher, because most educated well-rounded people with a variety of interests (i.e., non-morons) typically don't spend hours and hours on the message board of an athletic program, let alone one that chronically loses. The moron percentage here is maybe 50-60%, depending on how you define the word "moron." You know, the people who talk loudly on their phones in restaurants. The people who pick their nose in their car on the freeway. The people who cause hundreds of car accidents each and every day on our roads. The people who are entertained by TikTok, the 21st season of Survivor, and The Voice. The other 40% or so I have respect for.

I've posted many times that I don't hang out on this board to make friends. Would I behave a bit differently if I was going to meet in person all the posters on here? Of course I would. But so would almost everyone else.

If people choose to clown on Jerod Haase, an individual who deserves Cal fan respect for all the reasons I mentioned, I sure as hell am not going to apologize for trying to teach those people that their view is silly. I guess I just care too much.

Big C
KenBurnski said:

I'm 7'3, 174 and I'm told my frame is perfect to add 10-15 pounds of good weight during off-season strength and conditioning.

Cool that you still remember us enough to post here, Connor! Honest question: Given all that's transpired since you left, do you regret transferring to Arkansas? Maybe it's nice to be back home, but I really feel you got yourself into the wrong system there. Since you obviously read this board, you know that poster "bearister" and I go back and forth on this; I just think you would've done great here, had you stayed... and the fans dug your hairstyle-of-the-week! Anyway, best wishes going forward.
bearister
Hey Vanover, how does it feel to play D like a 3rd grade CYO player? Is it true that this year you sported 3 pigtails?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
KoreAmBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

KoreAmBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

KoreAmBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

LOL it is absolutely classic that you are lecturing me on my favorite all-time Cal basketball game, as if you know more about Cal sports than I do. You might want to rewatch the last two minutes of the Duke game, jackass.

Apologize (along with the two morons who upvoted you) or permanently shove it up your ass.
Hey asswipe LSU was the "pretzel shot" game that was the more famous twisting shot. Lecturing lol. As if you don't talk down to everyone you respond to here.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-03-19-sp-12586-story.html

https://www.facebook.com/realjasonkidd/videos/the-pretzel-shot/1829342797109988/

You are the one who used the word "pretzel," not me. And I said Haase was the first one "to pick Kidd up off the floor" after the shot. On the shot against Duke, Kidd fell to the floor. Against LSU, Kidd didn't even fall to the floor. Learn how to read. It is obvious that I was referring to the Duke game the entire time.

If you're going to misread my posts and respond like a ****** bag, please put me on mute. Please.

Understood about Kidd having multiple twisting shots then. It's just you don't seem to handle any pushback too well going full aggro, even though you dish it out quite often, complete with name calling. I'm just not a fan of arrogant dicks that's all. Of all the guys to defend and have sympathy towards, after the way you talk on this board. Jerod picked up Jason off the floor. Oooooh. He deserves respect. That's quite rich. But hey, we're both fans of Kidd so I can end it that way.
mbBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

mbBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

What difference does any post here make? Why do we spend time here? In the end, it's all meaningless, right?

In my 15+ years on this board, I've learned that the percentage of morons here is about the same as one encounters in the general public (i.e., on BART, in class, on the street, wherever), if not slightly higher, because most educated well-rounded people with a variety of interests (i.e., non-morons) typically don't spend hours and hours on the message board of an athletic program, let alone one that chronically loses. The moron percentage here is maybe 50-60%, depending on how you define the word "moron." You know, the people who talk loudly on their phones in restaurants. The people who pick their nose in their car on the freeway. The people who cause hundreds of car accidents each and every day on our roads. The people who are entertained by TikTok, the 21st season of Survivor, and The Voice. The other 40% or so I have respect for.

I've posted many times that I don't hang out on this board to make friends. Would I behave a bit differently if I was going to meet in person all the posters on here? Of course I would. But so would almost everyone else.

If people choose to clown on Jerod Haase, an individual who deserves Cal fan respect for all the reasons I mentioned, I sure as hell am not going to apologize for trying to teach those people that their view is silly. I guess I just care too much.

Yeah, different perspective here: I want to have the experience of arguing sports like I do over beers with friends. Or sometimes hear a thought about Cal sports that makes me think, or someone sharing an experience that is educational. I don't need to embrace an environment of hostility and animosity.
But, to each their own of course.
Big C
mbBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

mbBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Yeah, different perspective here: I want to have the experience of arguing sports like I do over beers with friends. Or sometimes hear a thought about Cal sports that makes me think, or someone sharing an experience that is educational. I don't need to embrace an environment of hostility and animosity.

Agreed, but when I talk about Cal sports with friends over beers, we usually say a lot worse crap than gets said here. But we're just kidding around and then we have another beer.
mbBear
Big C said:

mbBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

mbBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Agreed, but when I talk about Cal sports with friends over beers, we usually say a lot worse crap than gets said here. But we're just kidding around and then we have another beer.
I think the "kidding around" aspect of conversation on Cal boards(especially this one) can be a bit lost. I think the "worst crap" is different face to face-living in Philly, you can hear it all at sports events, bars et. al. (though not as bad as perceived by the "outside world") but hard to be upset when the person is wearing the same color sweatshirt that you are.
This is faceless, nameless, and, most often forgotten: we are all wearing Blue and Gold. We post because we have allegiance and passion to Cal....I don't care what people think about beyond that. Again, I don't get when there is hostility, but, that's just me.
MilleniaBear
What about Krystkowiak? I was envious of Utah for a while and then he got fired. He is available. I always thought his players played better than their talent. He might find it easier to recruit at Cal. If we can't have Gates then I'd take Krystkowiak.
socaltownie
MilleniaBear said:

What about Krystkowiak? I was envious of Utah for a while and then he got fired. He is available. I always thought his players played better than their talent. He might find it easier to recruit at Cal. If we can't have Gates then I'd take Krystkowiak.
I think the main issue is the money. Utah canned him really not because of performance but because of how his salary had grown to a level the university could not support. Cal would have to pay him SIGNIFICANTLY more than Fox. Now would I call him? Sure. But I figure there is no way Larry is coming off the beach for what we would offer.
calumnus
socaltownie said:

MilleniaBear said:

I think the main issue is the money. Utah canned him really not because of performance but because of how his salary had grown to a level the university could not support. Cal would have to pay him SIGNIFICANTLY more than Fox. Now would I call him? Sure. But I figure there is no way Larry is coming off the beach for what we would offer.

There is no way we would have to pay Krystkowiak more than we pay Fox. $1.8 million a year is actually a lot of money, not just for the 99% but for college basketball coaches too. We didn't pay Monty more, so why would you think Krystkowiak, a year out from getting fired from Utah, is demanding a huge salary?

socaltownie
calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

MilleniaBear said:

There is no way we would have to pay Krystkowiak more than we pay Fox. $1.8 million a year is actually a lot of money, not just for the 99% but for college basketball coaches too. We didn't pay Monty more, so why would you think Krystkowiak, a year out from getting fired from Utah, is demanding a huge salary?

Larry K was making 3.7 million at Utah. Now he is on the beach but that is a pretty nice cushion. I do NOT believe his ego would be that happy taking a HUGE downgrade from his prior bank..
BeachedBear
MilleniaBear said:

Not sure if it was a Cal broadcast, but during some basketball game earlier this season, he was interviewed and sounded like he was pretty happy on the beach. In other words, I don't think Cal is the type of opportunity he would come out of retirement for.

We were SOOOOO lucky when Monty fell in our laps - I would not expect that to happen again in my lifetime.
calumnus
socaltownie said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

MilleniaBear said:

Larry K was making 3.7 million at Utah. Now he is on the beach but that is a pretty nice cushion. I do NOT believe his ego would be that happy taking a HUGE downgrade from his prior bank..

He is still making that prior bank from Utah.

I get the being ready to hang out on the beach thing, but if that is the case, the amount of $millions should not matter. When Kareem left the NBA he had $millions in the bank too, but wanted to coach and was willing to coach on the Navajo reservation to do it. If and when Krystkowiak is ready to coach again, he will take the best job he is offered, just like Mark Fox did after he was fired and unemployed for a year.
CalLifer
calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

MilleniaBear said:

I get the being ready to hang out on the beach thing, but if that is the case, the amount of $millions should not matter. When Kareem left the NBA he had $millions in the bank too, but wanted to coach and was willing to coach on the Navajo reservation to do it. If and when Krystkowiak is ready to coach again, he will take the best job he is offered, just like Mark Fox did after he was fired and unemployed for a year.
God, the bolded part is so depressing.
Big C
calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

MilleniaBear said:

It would probably be an improvement over what we have now, but I'm not sure if I want us to hire the guy who has plenty of money, got fired from his last job, has sat around for a year and has now decided to take a job for less money even at Berkeley (which he doesn't like) because his wife wants him out of the house. Sounds too much like what we have now.

I want a guy who's hungry to prove himself and is still ascending on his career arc.
philbert
Another guy who will be off the board by the time Cal is ready to look.

BearSD
socaltownie said:

Utah canned him really not because of performance but because of how his salary had grown to a level the university could not support.
You sure about that? The Utes finished in 8th place his last two years there, and recruiting fell off so badly that the Utes finished in 11th place in the Pac-12 this season. His performance justified termination.

He can stay on the beach enjoying his Buyout Life.
Big C
philbert said:

Another guy who will be off the board by the time Cal is ready to look.

I will say again, a curious thing about Golden is that he played (and coached?) at St. Mary's under Bennett and may be the heir apparent there. Let's say he took the job at Cal and was rather successful for 3-4 years: What would he do when his Alma Mater came a calling? (I know, I know: we would be blessed with a few years of relative success... )

Edit: I just googled Bennett. He is 59. Maybe he "pulls a Coach K".
philbert
It would be insanity to not consider hiring someone because you think he *might* leave if his alma mater came calling. Bennett did sign a 10 year contract in 2017.

Other than graduating from SMC, he doesn't have any coaching ties to Bennett. Kyle Smith on the other hand, spent 10 years with Bennett at SMC.

Coaching career

After working in the private sector in advertising sales once his playing career was over, Golden entered the college coaching ranks joining Kyle Smith's staff at Columbia, first as director of basketball operations, then as an assistant coach.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Golden#cite_note-5][5][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Golden#cite_note-6][6][/url] He would then take a director of basketball operations position at Auburn under Bruce Pearl, his coach during the 2009 Maccabiah Games.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Golden#cite_note-7][7][/url] Golden would rise to assistant coach with the Tigers in his final season before reuniting with Smith at San Francisco.
calumnus
Big C said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

MilleniaBear said:

It would probably be an improvement over what we have now, but I'm not sure if I want us to hire the guy who has plenty of money, got fired from his last job, has sat around for a year and has now decided to take a job for less money even at Berkeley (which he doesn't like) because his wife wants him out of the house. Sounds too much like what we have now.

I want a guy who's hungry to prove himself and is still ascending on his career arc.

You just described Mike Montgomery coming to Cal.
BeachedBear
Here's an update of the list I put together last month that took me 20 minutes. IF I were AD, I'd at least watch these tourney games to familiarize myself with the names. Anyone think JK is going to do that? Most ADs actually go to tourney sites and meet people. I think Sandy was the last one to do that.

NCAA Tourney:

Murray St. Matt McMahon
Boise St. Leon Rice
Loyola Chicago Drew Valentine
Wyoming Jeff Linder (lost Tuesday)
San Francisco Todd Golden
Colorado St. Niko Medved
San Diego St. Brian Dutcher
UAB Andy Kennedy
Davidson Bob McKillop
Chattanooga Lamont Paris
Vermont John Becker
New Mexico St. Chris Jans
South Dakota St. Eric Henderson
Richmond Chris Mooney

NIT

Utah St. Ryan Odom
Belmont Casey Alexander
North Texas Grant McCasland
Iona Rick Pitino
Saint Louis Travis Ford
Dayton Anthony Grant
Toledo Tod Kowalczyk
Missouri St. Dana Ford
VCU Mike Rhoades
Santa Clara Herb Sendek
Towson Pat Skerry

This is by no means exhaustive and I'm sure I missed a few. Just a list of top 100 NET rankings in Feb that are in the tourney. Mid Market - excluding a few obvious nevers such as Few and Bennett
calumnus
BeachedBear said:

Here's an update of the list I put together last month that took me 20 minutes. IF I were AD, I'd at least watch these tourney games to familiarize myself with the names. Anyone think JK is going to do that? Most ADs actually go to tourney sites and meet people. I think Sandy was the last one to do that.

NCAA Tourney:

Murray St. Matt McMahon
Boise St. Leon Rice
Colorado St. Niko Medved
UAB Andy Kennedy
Davidson Bob McKillop
Chattanooga Lamont Paris
Vermont John Becker
Richmond Chris Mooney

NIT

Utah St. Ryan Odom
Belmont Casey Alexander
Iona Rick Pitino
Saint Louis Travis Ford
Dayton Anthony Grant
Toledo Tod Kowalczyk
Missouri St. Dana Ford
VCU Mike Rhoades
Santa Clara Herb Sendek
Towson Pat Skerry

This is by no means exhaustive and I'm sure I missed a few. Just a list of top 100 NET rankings in Feb that are in the tourney. Mid Market - excluding a few obvious nevers such as Few and Bennett

Definitely add Gates to the list. His team has won a lot of games, but is not highly rated so missed your top 100 NET and could be a red flag. I've never seen them play. My guess is he is a great positive motivator (which we know from interviews) and therefore great recruiter who emphasizes defense (which was him, and his coach, as a player). Anyone else have insight?

What is insane is Knowlton makes almost a $1 million a year and has a huge staff and your list is probably better than anything he has seen. I have ZERO doubt we could hire you and you would do a better job, maybe with a month to learn the ropes.
socaltownie
calumnus said:

BeachedBear said:

NCAA Tourney:

Murray St. Matt McMahon
Boise St. Leon Rice
Colorado St. Niko Medved
UAB Andy Kennedy
Davidson Bob McKillop
Chattanooga Lamont Paris
Vermont John Becker
Richmond Chris Mooney

NIT

Utah St. Ryan Odom
Belmont Casey Alexander
Iona Rick Pitino
Saint Louis Travis Ford
Dayton Anthony Grant
Toledo Tod Kowalczyk
Missouri St. Dana Ford
VCU Mike Rhoades
Santa Clara Herb Sendek
Towson Pat Skerry

Definitely add Gates to the list. His team has won a lot of games, but is not highly rated so missed your top 100 NET and could be a red flag. I've never seen them play. My guess is he is a great positive motivator (which we know from interviews) and therefore great recruiter who emphasizes defense (which was him, and his coach, as a player). Anyone else have insight?

What is insane is Knowlton makes almost a $1 million a year and has a huge staff and your list is probably better than anything he has seen. I have ZERO doubt we could hire you and you would do a better job, maybe with a month to learn the ropes.
Started a new thread just for him. Put Pasterkick on it. Some of the guys (Brian D.) on this should be deleted because he is in his late 60s. Video boy is 45. PERFECT age to grab him for his dream job and let him see if he can build something here.
philbert
I would gladly take the Kicker over Fox. C'mon Knowlton!
Big C
philbert said:

It would be insanity to not consider hiring someone because you think he *might* leave if his alma mater came calling. Bennett did sign a 10 year contract in 2017.

Other than graduating from SMC, he doesn't have any coaching ties to Bennett. Kyle Smith on the other hand, spent 10 years with Bennett at SMC.

Coaching career

After working in the private sector in advertising sales once his playing career was over, Golden entered the college coaching ranks joining Kyle Smith's staff at Columbia, first as director of basketball operations, then as an assistant coach.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Golden#cite_note-5][5][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Golden#cite_note-6][6][/url] He would then take a director of basketball operations position at Auburn under Bruce Pearl, his coach during the 2009 Maccabiah Games.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Golden#cite_note-7][7][/url] Golden would rise to assistant coach with the Tigers in his final season before reuniting with Smith at San Francisco.

Upon reflection, you are correct. If he were deemed to be the right guy and wanted the job, yes indeed.
mbBear
calumnus said:

BeachedBear said:

NCAA Tourney:

Murray St. Matt McMahon
Boise St. Leon Rice
Colorado St. Niko Medved
UAB Andy Kennedy
Davidson Bob McKillop
Chattanooga Lamont Paris
Vermont John Becker
Richmond Chris Mooney

NIT

Utah St. Ryan Odom
Belmont Casey Alexander
Iona Rick Pitino
Saint Louis Travis Ford
Dayton Anthony Grant
Toledo Tod Kowalczyk
Missouri St. Dana Ford
VCU Mike Rhoades
Santa Clara Herb Sendek
Towson Pat Skerry

Huge staff? "Normal" for a P5 staff, or you are saying he has more than the normal, bigger athletic program?

CalLifer
Cross Todd golden off any lists:

philbert
CalLifer said:

Cross Todd golden off any lists:

no need to worry. knowlton will soon announce the lifetime contract for Fox so we won't have to worry about other coaching candidates.
philbert
Wilner is right...

stu
Maybe Knowlton wants to keep Fox, maybe he just moved too slowly, but more likely Florida is just a better job.

AHAIK USF still has assistant coaches who could be better bets than our head coach.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.