Coaching Candidates Thread

14,099 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HoopDreams
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Couldn't we keep fox and use the money saved by paying three 4/5 star recruits a million to play here? This is a last ditch effort to see if our AD and coach can compete with the big boys.
NVBear78
oski003 said:

Couldn't we keep fox and use the money saved by paying three 4/5 star recruits a million to play here? This is a last ditch effort to see if our AD and coach can compete with the big boys.

Now this is creative thinking!
calumnus
oski003 said:

Since his buyout is less than his salary, fire him and save even more. Find out who USF is going to hire and get that guy. Or just hire DeCuire who is only making $180k at Montana, ie only 10% of what Fox is getting from Cal.

Then, instead of spending $150 million on a building, use that money to create a fund to spend approximately $7.5 million a year on elite player NIL.

oski003
calumnus said:

oski003 said:

Since his buyout is less than his salary, fire him and save even more. Find out who USF is going to hire and get that guy. Or just hire DeCuire who is only making $180k at Montana, ie only 10% of what Fox is getting from Cal.

Then, instead of spending $150 million on a building, use that money to create a fund to spend approximately $7.5 million a year on elite player NIL.

Because the new coach would come in for peanuts? You still gotta pay him plus the buyout, right?
bluesaxe
Chapman_is_Gone said:

May I remind the board that after Jason Kidd made a twisting layup against Duke in the 1993 NCAA tournament -- likely the biggest shot in the program's past 60 years -- it was Jerod Haase who was first there to pick Kidd up off the floor. The same Jerod Haase who gave 110% in every game, diving across the floor for loose balls. And it was Jerod Haase was played like a true baller in many of Cal's most important games, putting up points, boards, and steals, unlike many forgettable Cyberbear player favorites who never played in a big game in their lives or who always disappeared in the biggest games. I won't name names.

Haase deserves far more respect around here than he gets. Especially from you double standard types who are so quick to drool your coach love on ol' Mike Montgomery.

And for those of you making fun of his weight, I GUARANTEE the average Cyberbears' weight is 220 or higher. Prove me wrong.

I like Haase a lot. I think he's doing what needs to be done at Stanford.

You'd have to weigh 250 to average that with me.
bluesaxe
MilleniaBear said:

What about Krystkowiak? I was envious of Utah for a while and then he got fired. He is available. I always thought his players played better than their talent. He might find it easier to recruit at Cal. If we can't have Gates then I'd take Krystkowiak.
How about a young, energetic guy who isn't a retread?

Someone along the lines of Shaheen Holloway, though there's no chance at him at this point.

CalLifer
bluesaxe said:

MilleniaBear said:

What about Krystkowiak? I was envious of Utah for a while and then he got fired. He is available. I always thought his players played better than their talent. He might find it easier to recruit at Cal. If we can't have Gates then I'd take Krystkowiak.
How about a young, energetic guy who isn't a retread?

Someone along the lines of Shaheen Holloway, though there's no chance at him at this point.

Most people think that Holloway is likely to be the next coach at his alma mater, Seton Hall (which would be a lot to overcome even if we had an opening, which we don't b/c how strong the chemistry is between Knowlton and Fox... yay!). What's amazing to me is that St Peter's hired him in 2018, one year after we promoted Wyking. If Mike Williams had done just a little bit more work than looking for the closest warm body, we could have had someone like Holloway (or Gates, or DeCuire, or any number of people).

There were 100s of candidates better than Fox in 2019, too, if only we had an AD who understood that the most important quality in a new coach *wasn't* the chemistry that coach had with the AD. But we don't have that AD.
calumnus
bluesaxe said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

May I remind the board that after Jason Kidd made a twisting layup against Duke in the 1993 NCAA tournament -- likely the biggest shot in the program's past 60 years -- it was Jerod Haase who was first there to pick Kidd up off the floor. The same Jerod Haase who gave 110% in every game, diving across the floor for loose balls. And it was Jerod Haase was played like a true baller in many of Cal's most important games, putting up points, boards, and steals, unlike many forgettable Cyberbear player favorites who never played in a big game in their lives or who always disappeared in the biggest games. I won't name names.

Haase deserves far more respect around here than he gets. Especially from you double standard types who are so quick to drool your coach love on ol' Mike Montgomery.

And for those of you making fun of his weight, I GUARANTEE the average Cyberbears' weight is 220 or higher. Prove me wrong.

Haase is doing just enough to keep Stanford mediocre, but with promising players, so he doesn't get fired, which is all good by me. Just wish we were at least that good (ie middle of the PAC) so we could take advantage.

With you and me accounted for we now have CIG at 290 LBs.
Strykur
calumnus said:

bluesaxe said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Haase is doing just enough to keep Stanford mediocre, but with promising players, so he doesn't get fired, which is all good by me. Just wish we were at least that good (ie middle of the PAC) so we could take advantage.

If Haase got a few decent recruits to Palo Alto they could maybe sneak into the Dance, Fox somehow is able to keep winning head-to-head but we can't even get to mediocrity in the PAC-12 and would get totally steamrolled by title contenders and probably go winless in a deep league like the ACC or Big East.
calumnus
Strykur said:

calumnus said:

bluesaxe said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

If Haase got a few decent recruits to Palo Alto they could maybe sneak into the Dance, Fox somehow is able to keep winning head-to-head but we can't even get to mediocrity in the PAC-12 and would get totally steamrolled by title contenders and probably go winless in a deep league like the ACC or Big East.

Haase has been landing top players, including a couple of 5 stars. This year's class was rated #2 in the PAC-12. He is another defense first coach, but not via slow down. His teams have good defensive efficiency. He will take fast break points. His weakness is more communication and motivation. He is another command and control, motivate with discipline old school coach (even if just middle aged). His teams don't have a lot of fight and fade at the end of the season.
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

Strykur said:

calumnus said:

bluesaxe said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Haase has been landing top players, including a couple of 5 stars. This year's class was rated #2 in the PAC-12. He is another defense first coach, but not via slow down. His teams have good defensive efficiency. He will take fast break points. His weakness is more communication and motivation. He is another command and control, motivate with discipline old school coach (even if just middle aged). His teams don't have a lot of fight and fade at the end of the season.
every year I predict stanford to the ncaa

every year haase does less with more

but they were young this year .. next year I predict stanford to the ncaa

but let's watch how haase will again do his duty and lose to Cal and miss the tourney
SFCityBear
BeachedBear said:

MilleniaBear said:

Not sure if it was a Cal broadcast, but during some basketball game earlier this season, he was interviewed and sounded like he was pretty happy on the beach. In other words, I don't think Cal is the type of opportunity he would come out of retirement for.

We were SOOOOO lucky when Monty fell in our laps - I would not expect that to happen again in my lifetime.
I agree on all points. And to think that even after Monty was hired, there were the Cal fans who continued to complain that he couldn't recruit. He was so bad at it, that his best roster was perhaps the last, Wallace, Bird, Mathews, Rooks, and Singer, which was the nucleus of Cuonzo's best team of 2016. All Cuonzo had to do was add the 5* players, Rabb and Brown, and we had it made. I think Monty's recruit, Ty Wallace was the best player on that roster. I always worried about him getting injured, with all the chances he took. When he went down, that really hurt the team, and when Bird went down, that team was toast, unfortunately for them and for us.
SFCityBear
socaltownie
Hasse was a good bear. My understanding is that his dad pushed him to go to Cal and, tragically, passed away his first year. A change of place was probably good all the the way around even though it sucked he went to KU a few months after they beat us in the tournie.

His record at Furd has NOT been great and really fails to appreciate that in P5 the players that will help you win and which you need are RIGHTFULLY focused on how they can spotlight their skills for the next level. Coaches which do not get that are going to underperform.
Take care of your Chicken
oskidunker
socaltownie said:

Hasse was a good bear. My understanding is that his dad pushed him to go to Cal and, tragically, passed away his first year. A change of place was probably good all the the way around even though it sucked he went to KU a few months after they beat us in the tournie.

His record at Furd has NOT been great and really fails to appreciate that in P5 the players that will help you win and which you need are RIGHTFULLY focused on how they can spotlight their skills for the next level. Coaches which do not get that are going to underperform.
He did not like Bozeman.
Go Bears!
socaltownie
oskidunker said:

socaltownie said:

He did not like Bozeman.
Yes. I am sure that also mattered.
Take care of your Chicken
CalLifer
HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

Strykur said:

calumnus said:

bluesaxe said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

but let's watch how haase will again do his duty and lose to Cal and miss the tourney
Seems like you were more on target with the second bolded statement than the first, HD!
calumnus
oski003 said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

Because the new coach would come in for peanuts? You still gotta pay him plus the buyout, right?

We would save about $1 million, half of Fox's salary, if we fire him.

Is $750,000 to $1 million a year "peanuts"? If so, those are some expensive peanuts.

Randy Bennett makes $525,000 at St. Mary's, it is a good income for a basketball coach, even in the Bay Area.

Pasternak makes about $250,000 at Santa Barbara.

DeCuire makes $185,711 at Montana.

Don't let the fact that Mark Fox is grossly overpaid fool you into thinking we have to keep him.
HoopDreams
Ha ha

at least Haas is consistent!

CalLifer said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

Strykur said:

calumnus said:

bluesaxe said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Seems like you were more on target with the second bolded statement than the first, HD!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.