Wilner's coaching hot seat rating

4,164 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DiabloWags
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hope he's right. From: https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/06/27/pac-12-hoops-seat-heat/

Cal's Mark Fox
Signed through: 2023-24 season
Average salary: $1.65 million
Key stats: 15-43 in conference through three seasons … one of only two coaches in Cal history to lose 20+ games (overall) in back-to-back years (the other: his immediate predecessor, Wyking Jones)
Seat heat: Cal degree required to calculate
Comment: Fox spent one year performing meatball surgery on the mess Jones left behind and two years coaching in a pandemic that impacted his program more than most. He has one of the toughest jobs in the conference, but absent significant improvement in '23, Cal will be forced to move on.
joe amos yaks
>"… one of only two coaches in Cal history to lose 20+ games (overall) in back-to-back years (the other: his immediate predecessor, Wyking Jones)..."<

In all fairness add xAD Mike Williams' name to that list.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
BC Calfan
Wilner buying the covid excuse too. Shameful.

A hypothetical exercise I like to think of with sports personnel: If this Coach/AD/GM gets fired tomorrow, what are his options and most likely next step?

In the case of Fox, AT BEST he gets a bottom tier D-1 head coaching gig.

In the case of Knowlton, he probably is never an AD again.
stu
I wonder how many more years we'll hear the pandemic excuse.
DiabloWags
BC Calfan said:

A hypothetical exercise I like to think of with sports personnel: If this Coach/AD/GM gets fired tomorrow, what are his options and most likely next step?

Agreed.
The same can be said of former Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott.

He was 1 - 18 as a pro tennis player.
Highest ranking: 210th

The guy was a loser back then (1987) and he's still a loser.

PtownBear1
DiabloWags said:

BC Calfan said:

Agreed.
The same can be said of former Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott.

He was 1 - 18 as a pro tennis player.
Highest ranking: 210th

The guy was a loser back then (1987) and he's still a loser.

The guy sitting on millions for performing a hack job. The losers are the ones who paid him and kept him in the power for so long.
DiabloWags
PtownBear1 said:

The guy sitting on millions for performing a hack job. The losers are the ones who paid him and kept him in the power for so long.

Gene Block, the Chancellor of UCLA and Chair of the Board of Directors for the Pac-12 Conference holds some responsibility for extending Scott's contract after 2017, out to 2022.

I bet Block never had to answer for this decision.
Not once.
Econ141
With each variant Fox's contract will get renewed. What a bonanza.
BC Calfan
BC Calfan said:

I want to clarify my "at best" scenario for Fox.

At best, I can see him landing a low tier D-1 coaching gig but I'm talking about the worst. Like San Jose St. woudn't even hire him. Looking at the worst teams in the worst conferences, I'm talking about schools like UMass-Lowell, Elon, Fairleigh Dickinson and the like.

Probably the more likely scenario if he's fired is 1) taking time off 2) An assistant at a P5 or 3) TV analyst even though I'd find this hard to imagine given his *****ly personality.
Big C
BC Calfan said:

BC Calfan said:

At best, I can see him landing a low tier D-1 coaching gig but I'm talking about the worst. Like San Jose St. woudn't even hire him. Looking at the worst teams in the worst conferences, I'm talking about schools like UMass-Lowell, Elon, Fairleigh Dickinson and the like.

Probably the more likely scenario if he's fired is 1) taking time off 2) An assistant at a P5 or 3) TV analyst even though I'd find this hard to imagine given his *****ly personality.

I think Fox's future prospects actually look pretty bright:

He can retire earlier than I did, with a fair amount more money than I did (or will ever have).
Bobodeluxe
BC Calfan said:

BC Calfan said:

So, a lateral move.
socaltownie
BC Calfan said:

I actually do believe that for Fox to "work" (and a big huge IF which I do not believe) he really needs to coach lesser talent into a cohesive whole. It is clear in year 1 that he CAN teach and also clear that COVID impacted that. Why it matters is that honestly UCLA and USC and ZOna and to an extent oregon really can just roll out the ball and have superior athletes win on talent.

Now this also means that Fox's ceiling is so low. He can not RECRUIT and that is not on Vid. He sucks at it. And that is why he might eech out 7 wins in conference when he can teach it is about the highest level the school can apsire to with him at the wheel.
stu
socaltownie said:

I actually do believe that for Fox to "work" (and a big huge IF which I do not believe) he really needs to coach lesser talent into a cohesive whole...
So he should be coaching in a league where nobody recruits.
oskidunker
Dick Kutchen tried that. Same results.
Go Bears!
BearSD
stu said:

socaltownie said:

I actually do believe that for Fox to "work" (and a big huge IF which I do not believe) he really needs to coach lesser talent into a cohesive whole...
Like a pro league in eastern Europe, where every team has a relatively low talent level.
DiabloWags
stu said:

socaltownie said:

Recruiting?
We dont need no stinking recruiting!!!
Dgoldnbaer
His slow motion half court O along w/his type of D might fit in well w/an Ivy League school.
calumnus
Dgoldnbaer said:

His slow motion half court O along w/his type of D might fit in well w/an Ivy League school.

Or a military academy. We should send Knowlton back to Air Force and have him take Fox with him.
HearstMining
oskidunker said:

Dick Kutchen tried that. Same results.
I'm not going to look up Kuchen's record at Yale, but he apparently fooled'em for 12 seasons. Let's face it, every school doesn't have the pressure to win. Fox may not find an Ivy League job, but there are hundreds of D-1 and D-2 schools out there, many of which don't aspire to basketball greatness, that would almost certainly hire him. The pay won't be great, but many of them are in cheap places to live and he could coach a few more years and then retire. As long as Fox hasn't invested his Cal paychecks in crypto currency, he should already have a nice nest egg.
oskidunker
Won 231. Lost 301.
Go Bears!
DiabloWags
Kuchen's coaching record.
I had forgotten just how horrible he was when I was an undergrad.
My Lord!

Only 4 out of 13 seasons at Yale were above .500

Dick Kuchen Coaching Record | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

HearstMining
DiabloWags said:

My Lord!

So, does that say more about Yale or more about Kuchen?
I graduated before Kuchen arrived and was out of NorCal for most of his tenure, but aside from a few good players, I don't recall the teams being very competitive.
Big C
HearstMining said:

DiabloWags said:

My Lord!

I graduated before Kuchen arrived and was out of NorCal for most of his tenure, but aside from a few good players, I don't recall the teams being very competitive.

The cupboard was completely bare when Kuchen arrived. He recruited a few good players, but not enough to get us over the hump. After our top 2-3 players, there was usually a huge drop-off through the rotation. I will say, he was a pretty decent guy (unless you're talking to Sam Potter) and, when he left, the program was incrementally better than when he came in. Campanelli had some players to work with... and he did.
calumnus
HearstMining said:

DiabloWags said:

My Lord!

He had a great young team at the end with Kevin Johnson, Chris Washington, Leonard Taylor, and Dave Butler as the core, but then Butler got hurt early and he couldn't figure out who to play at the other forward spots, playing in order of minutes Jeff Thilgen, Jim Beatie, Eddie Javius, Ernie Sears (more a guard), Buzz Butler, Richard Chang and Jeff Huling. I felt like he gave the small non-scoring Thilgen too many minutes and starts and should have played Chang and Huling more.

I'm pretty sure he played Kevin Johnson at the 2. Basically, KJ was the fastest/quickest player I'd ever seen, a future NBA All-Star, and the strategy should have been built around him.

We went 13-15 (5-13) and Kutchen was fired. We then hired Campanelli who Mark Fox reminds me of in style and temperament.
stu
In 7 seasons Kuchen recruited Mark McNamara, Michael Pitts, Dave Butler, Kevin Johnson, and Leonard Taylor. IMHO all of those are far above anyone Fox has recruited at Cal.

Kuchen also recruited Michael Chavez, Butch Hays, and Chris Washington, all of whom would start on the current Cal team.
DiabloWags
Thanks for the color guys.
Much appreciated!
Golden One
HearstMining said:

Fox may not find an Ivy League job, but there are hundreds of D-1 and D-2 schools out there, many of which don't aspire to basketball greatness, that would almost certainly hire him.
You've just perfectly described Cal.
LateHit
Buddy Teevans says Hello.
DiabloWags
Golden One said:

HearstMining said:

Fox may not find an Ivy League job, but there are hundreds of D-1 and D-2 schools out there, many of which don't aspire to basketball greatness, that would almost certainly hire him.

Bingo.
HearstMining
DiabloWags said:

Golden One said:

HearstMining said:

Bingo.

Yeah, I thought about parenthetically specifying Cal but resisted the urge.
Big C
HearstMining said:

DiabloWags said:

Golden One said:

HearstMining said:

Bingo.

".500! It's aspirational!" is about as catchy as "Invest and attack!"
oskidunker
Two baskets and a Ball.
Go Bears!
calumnus
Big C said:

HearstMining said:

DiabloWags said:

Golden One said:

HearstMining said:

Bingo.

".500! It's aspirational!" is about as catchy as "Invest and attack!"

Yeah, aiming for .500 (ie mediocrity) by hiring a confirmed .500 coach is just so Knowlton.
KoreAmBear
stu said:

Until the next pandemic.
CALiforniALUM
KoreAmBear said:

stu said:

Until the next pandemic.

Monkey Pox is here. New day, new excuse.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.