It's time for a change - Cal needs a new Head Men's Basketball Coach

11,439 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 82gradDLSdad
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sluggo said:

bearister said:

Cal Basketball: The Decision to Hire Mark Fox | Bear Insider

https://bearinsider.com/s/1283/the-decision-to-hire-mark-fox
This is the part I find fascinating:

"His X's and O's and teaching pedigree are endorsed in fulsome fashion with his recent tenure with Team USA and the praise he received from coaching luminaries in today's press release. Bear Insider has had a chance to source further references from a half dozen industry experts and the praise has been universal and unstinting. Folks who know Pac-12 basketball exceptionally well and have no affiliation with Cal or with Coach Fox have been effusive in their praise of Fox and the fit at Cal."

Fox's offensive Xs a Os are at maybe the 10th percentile among college coaches. Better than Wyking Jones, comparable to the Kstate coach, but worse than almost every team that passes through. Running so much through the 5 in the high post when Cal has never had a player who can play that role, and setting no screens away from the ball, is just so bad. So was BI talking to equally incompetent "experts"? Or was this coaches who speak no ill of others in the fraternity? If a genie granted me three wishes one would be to talk to these experts about Mark Fox.

I suspect the fact he was coaching Team USA had something to do with it. Every coach looks immeasurably better the better the talent they are working with.
oskidunker
Fox was stuttering badly in the radio post game. I wonder if something is wrong with him.
Go Bears!
southseasbear
I would not be surprised if Knowlton gives him an extension, as our AD seems to hand those out like candy canes in December.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
oskidunker
southseasbear said:

I would not be surprised if Knowlton gives him an extension, as our AD seems to hand those out like candy canes in December.
Not likely.
Go Bears!
BigDaddy
This is Cal's 8th straight loss to another UC program. That should be reason enough to fire Mark Fox.

Someone should call Brian Dutcher at San Diego State and find out how much $$$$ it would take to get him to come to Cal.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
BeachedBear
Last night - the players body language (particularly off court) looked bad for the first time under Fox (a la Jones). That's a pretty strong indicator that change can't wait until the end of the season.
CalGrad95
FFS Travis' salary at Montana is $180k / yr AFTER an extension.

MF collected $1.9M in total comp last year for this crapshow, or more than the entire value of Travis' contract.

This isn't a coaching staff, it's an ongoing bank heist.
KoreAmBear
oskidunker said:

Fox was stuttering badly in the radio post game. I wonder if something is wrong with him.

Is it available somewhere on audio?
mbBear
tequila4kapp said:

sluggo said:

I want him to stay. He built this team, he sold his vision, now he should have to live with it. If he is fired then his name won't be in the history books for worst season ever of Cal basketball.

Also, his long term replacement probably already has a job and can't be brought in until after the season, so there is no advantage to firing him.

Firing incompetent people early begins to set a tone around expectations. It starts to change the culture. We desperately need that. (I acknowledge that "early" is in the eye of the beholder. I would have preferred it happen earlier. But doing it early in the middle of the season is a start).
This is an important distinction. It's not about "oh, we are going to steal another coach" in the middle of the season, and sure we can have the "the interim off the bench is going to have a miracle run" dream, but it's not about the beginning of the end....this is about the start of a beginning....
PtownBear1
southseasbear said:

I wouldn't either. The guy is more reckless with other people's money than SBF
Cal8285
parentswerebears said:

This outcome was set in motion three years ago. When I looked at Georgia, I knew how this would end- Cal basketball in the toilet and Fox as the cause. This was predictable.
I don't think this was all that predictable.

Finishing 8-10 in conference most years, maybe an occasional 6th or 7th and an occasional 11th, with no real hope of doing better than middle of the Pac in a good year? Yeah, that was predictable.

This? No, I don't think looking at Georgia made this predictable. Being the first to ever lose to UC Davis? Losing two, including one at home, to UCSD? Staring down a season where the OOC has 6 out of 11 games that are gimmes, and we're 0-2 in those so far? 4-7 OOC may be the best we can hope for, and just because stuff happens, maybe we can hope for 2 conference wins?

Looking at Georgia, nothing made 6-26 seem possible. And maybe, somehow, we do better than that. But for that to be possible, for worse than that to be possible? I hated the Fox hire, the only positive I took from it was that his floor was mediocrity (even if his ceiling was mediocrity), Georgia seemed to back that up, and the first season did nothing to dispel that thought.

But it turns out I was wrong, the floor is so much lower than I could have imagined. Predicting no better than mediocrity from Georgia, sure. Predicting what could be the worst season in Cal basketball history? No.
Chapman_is_Gone
BigDaddy said:

This is Cal's 8th straight loss to another UC program. That should be reason enough to fire Mark Fox.

Someone should call Brian Dutcher at San Diego State and find out how much $$$$ it would take to get him to come to Cal.

The SDSU job is arguably the better job. If SDSU joins the Pac-XX, then it clearly is a better job unless a coach personally values the extremes of the Bay Area.
82gradDLSdad
It sounds like the change needs to be at the AD level first. You can't have your two biggest sports be horrible, with recent HC contract extensions given, and not conclude that the AD is the first problem that needs addressing.
calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

It sounds like the change needs to be at the AD level first. You can't have your two biggest sports be horrible, with recent HC contract extensions given, and not conclude that the AD is the first problem that needs addressing.

Christ hiring Knowlton when he was not qualified, his doing a horrible job to confirm that, and then Christ giving Knowlton an 8 year contract extension was gross mismanagement.
parentswerebears
No. This not exactly how I knew it would happen. But I knew Fox was going to crash and burn. It was obvious that he wasn't the answer when he was hired. And everything he has done has proven that he is just a warm body in the job rather than someone who would make Cal better. There was nothing in his past that Indicated he was a suitable candidate for the job, let alone the one to be hired. And now he has consistently chased off the team's best player(s). All of THAT was predictable.
socaltownie
parentswerebears said:

No. This not exactly how I knew it would happen. But I knew Fox was going to crash and burn. It was obvious that he wasn't the answer when he was hired. And everything he has done has proven that he is just a warm body in the job rather than someone who would make Cal better. There was nothing in his past that Indicated he was a suitable candidate for the job, let alone the one to be hired. And now he has consistently chased off the team's best player(s). All of THAT was predictable.
And we knew if from that horrific first video that some IDIOT released showing him meet the team. I wonder if Donut Boy had that saved on his phone so he could show any player showing an interest in Cal.
Take care of your Chicken
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Christ hiring Knowlton when he was not qualified, his doing a horrible job to confirm that, and then Christ giving Knowlton an 8 year contract extension was gross mismanagement.

I have to assume she is doing a decent job at some of the most important things she is responsible for, Knowlton has two Fs in his two biggest duties. I fully admit I may be wrong that hiring highly capable football and basketball coaches are two of his biggest responsibilities.
cal83dls79
I can't watch it anymore. Knowlton needs to go first and foremost, fox would be my immediate fire and bring in gates
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
socaltownie
I think the thing we just don't know (maybe Bill does, maybe he doesn't - I suspect the latter as that isn't really thin the thing that is shared) is how he is doing with what _IS_ his number one responsibility - development.

There are actually SOME positive smoke signals that MIGHT be good signs. It really hurts but if he is actually helping non-revenue sports build sustainable endowments that will allow them to operate without subsidies from revenue sports that is ia huge long term benefit to MBB and Football. He doesn't have a clue about coaching hires and thinks he is at the academy but if he is endowing positions that is really benificial in the long run.
Take care of your Chicken
calumnus
socaltownie said:

I think the thing we just don't know (maybe Bill does, maybe he doesn't - I suspect the latter as that isn't really thin the thing that is shared) is how he is doing with what _IS_ his number one responsibility - development.

There are actually SOME positive smoke signals that MIGHT be good signs. It really hurts but if he is actually helping non-revenue sports build sustainable endowments that will allow them to operate without subsidies from revenue sports that is ia huge long term benefit to MBB and Football. He doesn't have a clue about coaching hires and thinks he is at the academy but if he is endowing positions that is really benificial in the long run.

End of the day, it is Cal donors, not Knowlton, that are bringing in the funds and deserve the credit. Unless someone explains to me why they give money to Cal under Knowlton, but wouldn't if there was a different AD, then I am not giving him credit for taking our alumni's money (especially since he is then throwing it away).
Econ141
CalGrad95 said:

MF collected $1.9M in total comp last year for this crapshow, or more than the entire value of Travis' contract.

Lol - I read "MF" as ... well not as Mark Fox but something else, and it read much better.
Econ141
Fox has (further) degraded our brand. Even with a new coach, hard to believe recruits would want to come to the place where "winning goes to die."

F Knowlton and F Fox.
calumnus
CalGrad95 said:

He just lost to a coach who makes 4% of what he makes.
BeachedBear
BearGreg said:

This is beyond embarrassing. No one is being helped by Mark Fox continuing to be the leader of our basketball program. Beyond the indifference to fan and donor support, beyond the poor scouting and lazy recruiting, he has proven he cannot develop talent. And most importantly, the team is barely competitive at the very lowest levels of D1 Basketball.

Cal Men's Basketball hit an all-time low tonight and it's past time for a change.

Share your thoughts with Jim Knowlton - jim.knowlton@berkeley.edu
Do you have Fox's email? I'd rather send an email to Fox and insist that he resign. That is the only respectable thing for him to do. Every game he doesn't resign, I'll send him an invoice for the cost of two chairback seats in sec M that he, himself and all alone has devalued to zero by masquerading as a basketball coach.
KoreAmBear
parentswerebears said:

I didn't know he would crash and burn. I thought it was an awful, uninspiring hire just for the thought of just bringing up the floor (as opposed to hiring on the upside) which meant like at most 15 wins at his peak (which he kind of reached in 2019-2020). I didn't expect this freefall, but it's here.
JimSox
socaltownie said:

parentswerebears said:

And we knew if from that horrific first video that some IDIOT released showing him meet the team. I wonder if Donut Boy had that saved on his phone so he could show any player showing an interest in Cal.

Bingo! That video told me right away that this was an AWFUL choice. You could just see that in the look on the players' faces.
eastcoastcal
Can someone share that video? I've seen it referenced here a few times.
calbear80
NVBear78 said:

I predict he is fired tomorrow

From your mouth to Knowlton's ear, I hope.

Go Bears!
TheFiatLux
GET HIM OUT NOW.

This is simply the worst hire I have ever seen in Cal sports. We've had other bad hires but at least there was some semblance of rational to it (Holmoe, continuity).

Fox was a terrible hire from the get-go. He was a loser at Georgia. There was absolutely no rational reason to hire him. He has been a stain on the University. It infuriates me that this incompetent loser gets paid anything from us. We should fire him for cause - gross incompetence.
sonofabear51
And while you're at it, don't stop there. Fire Knowlton at the same time.
Start Slowly and taper off
KoreAmBear
eastcoastcal said:

Can someone share that video? I've seen it referenced here a few times.

Hard to find. Hope someone can post that mesmerizing speech.
BearSD
NVBear78 said:

Narrator: Sadly, Fox was not fired that day, and remains as head coach.

tequila4kapp
BearSD said:

NVBear78 said:

Potentially saved by the graduation rate report
calumnus
tequila4kapp said:

BearSD said:

NVBear78 said:

Potentially saved by the graduation rate report

Strategically released?
oskidunker
BearGreg said:

This is beyond embarrassing. No one is being helped by Mark Fox continuing to be the leader of our basketball program. Beyond the indifference to fan and donor support, beyond the poor scouting and lazy recruiting, he has proven he cannot develop talent. And most importantly, the team is barely competitive at the very lowest levels of D1 Basketball.

Cal Men's Basketball hit an all-time low tonight and it's past time for a change.

Share your thoughts with Jim Knowlton - jim.knowlton@berkeley.edu
Done
Go Bears!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.