Interim Coach Choices

2,866 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
calfanz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When Fox is fired this week who is your choice for Interim Coach?

1- Chris Harriman
2- Mike Montgomery
3- Ben Braun
4- PJ Carlesimo
5- Theo Robertson
6- Ernie Kent
7-Larry Krystkowiak

?
Calfan92
Frankie Ferrari. Gonna be a great coach one day.
BC Calfan
Not that we know any of our assistant coaches since our tyrant coach won't let them talk to press but I thought Francis was higher tenured and in a better position to be a head coach. Harriman seems a little too loyal to Fox for my taste.
calumnus
BC Calfan said:

Not that we know any of our assistant coaches since our tyrant coach won't let them talk to press but I thought Francis was higher tenured and in a better position to be a head coach. Harriman seems a little too loyal to Fox for my taste.

Marty Wilson is the tenured former Pepperdine coach but he and Harriman are both similar to Fox.

Andrew Francis is the guy on staff who might actually be good, but would definitely be best for the players.
BC Calfan
Good point, I didn't include Wilson since I haven't heard a lot of positives about him (and he's the lone carryover from the 2 worst terms in program history) which probably makes him Knowltons top interim choice.
BearSD
Calfan92 said:

Frankie Ferrari. Gonna be a great coach one day.

Maybe at his alma mater across the bay.
oskidunker
calfanz said:

1- Chris Harriman
2- Mike Montgomery
3- Ben Braun
4- PJ Carlesimo
5- Theo Robertson
6- Ernie Kent
7-Larry Krystkowiak

?
Montgomery is a Larry K fan but he fizzled at the end at Utah, kind of like Tedford here. But Tedford regained his mojo at Fresnek. Would prefer a younger coach with good resume
Go Bears!
calumnus
oskidunker said:

calfanz said:

1- Chris Harriman
2- Mike Montgomery
3- Ben Braun
4- PJ Carlesimo
5- Theo Robertson
6- Ernie Kent
7-Larry Krystkowiak

?
Montgomery is a Larry K fan but he fizzled at the end at Utah, kind of like Tedford here. But Tedford regained his mojo at Fresnek. Would prefer a younger coach with good resume

Agreed. I'd love to bring in a young coach (steal Gates from Missouri?) that could bring in Krystkowiak as his aged assistant.
Gkhoury2325
calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

calfanz said:

1- Chris Harriman
2- Mike Montgomery
3- Ben Braun
4- PJ Carlesimo
5- Theo Robertson
6- Ernie Kent
7-Larry Krystkowiak

?

Agreed. I'd love to bring in a young coach (steal Gates from Missouri?) that could bring in Krystkowiak as his aged assistant.

That would be a nice combo of coaches. If we actually had some chance at Gates or whoever gets hired needs a recruiter who know the west coast and the AAU scene. We don't need anymore lazy ass staff who don't want to recruit or tell us they are the international recruiter, and came back with unequipped players.
Big C
calumnus said:

BC Calfan said:

Marty Wilson is the tenured former Pepperdine coach but he and Harriman are both similar to Fox.

Andrew Francis is the guy on staff who might actually be good, but would definitely be best for the players.

Clearly Francis should be the Interim, unless they wanted to entirely clean house and create a little 15-week coaching laboratory for a guy like Theo.
bluesaxe
calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

calfanz said:

1- Chris Harriman
2- Mike Montgomery
3- Ben Braun
4- PJ Carlesimo
5- Theo Robertson
6- Ernie Kent
7-Larry Krystkowiak

?

Why would Gates want to come here?
Big C
bluesaxe said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

calfanz said:

1- Chris Harriman
2- Mike Montgomery
3- Ben Braun
4- PJ Carlesimo
5- Theo Robertson
6- Ernie Kent
7-Larry Krystkowiak

?

Live in a really nice area and bring glory to his Alma Mater?

(Agree, though. Mizzou usually steals our coaches, not the other way around.)
calumnus
Big C said:

bluesaxe said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

calfanz said:

1- Chris Harriman
2- Mike Montgomery
3- Ben Braun
4- PJ Carlesimo
5- Theo Robertson
6- Ernie Kent
7-Larry Krystkowiak

?

We stole Tennessee's coach immediately after taking them to a Sweet 16.
Big Dog
Deion Sanders is considering moving up to P5. Perhaps he could coach both football and basketball.
dimitrig
calfanz said:

1- Chris Harriman
2- Mike Montgomery
3- Ben Braun
4- PJ Carlesimo
5- Theo Robertson
6- Ernie Kent
7-Larry Krystkowiak

?

Steve Nash

Gkhoury2325
Steve Nash would be interesting as the HC at Cal. The question would be does he want to recruit? Can he hire a staff that can coach X's and O's and have the recruiting chops to bring Cal back out of this dismal place.
Econ141
Gkhoury2325 said:

Steve Nash would be interesting as the HC at Cal. The question would be does he want to recruit? Can he hire a staff that can coach X's and O's and have the recruiting chops to bring Cal back out of this dismal place.

I think the biggest question for any big name coach is "does he even want to come to cal?"
oski003
Could Knowlton coach?
bipolarbear
calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

calfanz said:

1- Chris Harriman
2- Mike Montgomery
3- Ben Braun
4- PJ Carlesimo
5- Theo Robertson
6- Ernie Kent
7-Larry Krystkowiak

?

Would love to steal Gates. How much would that cost? Maybe Shantay Legans now. These would not be interim coaches.
bipolarbear
Big C said:

calumnus said:

BC Calfan said:

Clearly Francis should be the Interim, unless they wanted to entirely clean house and create a little 15-week coaching laboratory for a guy like Theo.
This is an interesting idea. Burn it all down and start fresh. The season is lost anyway.
dmh65
If Cal had an absolutely awesome interim coach, what's the best you can visualize with the current roster for this year?
polarbear
There's no point in firing Fox unless Knowlton is given the heave-ho with him out the door. Then we need to spend the money for a proven AD and a proven MBB coach. Otherwise few quality recruits will give us the first look.
oskidunker
Don't agree. Knowlton can hire a good coach. So since Christ won't fire Knowlton you want to keep Fox ? Ok sounds like a plan
Go Bears!
BC Calfan
polarbear said:

There's no point in firing Fox unless Knowlton is given the heave-ho with him out the door. Then we need to spend the money for a proven AD and a proven MBB coach. Otherwise few quality recruits will give us the first look.
That's like not stopping the bleeding until there's a doctor present.

Yes, Knowlton is a clown but the odds of him hiring another disaster are low. ANYONE would be an improvement.
Bobodeluxe
calumnus said:

Big C said:

bluesaxe said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

calfanz said:

1- Chris Harriman
2- Mike Montgomery
3- Ben Braun
4- PJ Carlesimo
5- Theo Robertson
6- Ernie Kent
7-Larry Krystkowiak

?

We stole Tennessee's coach immediately after taking them to a Sweet 16.
lol
calumnus
BC Calfan said:

polarbear said:

Yes, Knowlton is a clown but the odds of him hiring another disaster are low. ANYONE would be an improvement.

He is the same person. If he uses the same brain that created the process that hired Fox and gave Wilcox a six year extension after going 5-7 with a losing record record overall and twice as many conference losses as wins, the brain that dismissed charges of racism and abuse in order to give the swim coach a huge contract, the odds are very high that he would pick yet another disaster.

The only hope is if he is not involved in the process except as a rubber stamp. We need relatively young, knowledgeable basketball alums involved in the selection process.
Big Dog
oskidunker said:

Don't agree. Knowlton can hire a good coach. So since Christ won't fire Knowlton you want to keep Fox ? Ok sounds like a plan
Perhaps he could. But his long extension of Wilcox and his extension of Fox is AD malpractice. It demonstrated extremely poor management skills. (Heck, Knowlton's extension by the Chancellor calls into question her concerns about winning in a P5 conference.)
smokeyrover
calumnus said:

BC Calfan said:

polarbear said:

He is the same person. If he uses the same brain that created the process that hired Fox and gave Wilcox a six year extension after going 5-7 with a losing record record overall and twice as many conference losses as wins, the brain that dismissed charges of racism and abuse in order to give the swim coach a huge contract, the odds are very high that he would pick yet another disaster.

The only hope is if he is not involved in the process except as a rubber stamp. We need relatively young, knowledgeable basketball alums involved in the selection process.

Advisory committee off the top of my head:
Eric McDonough
Theo Robertson
Richard Midgley
Paris Austin
Sam Singer
Robert Thurman
Ivan Rabb
Jerome Randle
Sean Lampley
Leon Powe

Guys who come to Haas and/or vocal/local.
calumnus
smokeyrover said:

calumnus said:

BC Calfan said:

polarbear said:

Advisory committee off the top of my head:
Eric McDonough
Theo Robertson
Richard Midgley
Paris Austin
Sam Singer
Robert Thurman
Ivan Rabb
Jerome Randle
Sean Lampley
Leon Powe

Guys who come to Haas and/or vocal/local.

I'd bring in guys who have some experience at a high level and good contacts:
Kidd
Shareef
Marks
Jaylen
Anderson
Crabbe
Gates

Maybe include Braun and Monty
89Bear
Advisory:
Theo
Shareef
Rabb
Monty
Kerr
Marks
LongTimeBearFan
I say we get Ted Lasso. At least the players would feel better about themselves by the end of the season.
calumnus
Andrew Francis for interim HC

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/basketball-men/2019/04/16/assistant-coach-andrew-francis-leaving-iowa-basketball-program-fran-mccaffery/3492096002/

https://www.knoxnews.com/embed/video/79516302/

His Twitter
https://twitter.com/coachandrewf
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.