Pasternack is 12 and 2

5,022 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigDaddy
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those scoring at home ucsb is 12 and 2 and leading the big west. Of course jk will screw this up but of there was ever an obvious hire.......
Take care of your Chicken
HoopDreams
interesting Kelly's numbers are down compared to last year

He's played 2 fewer minutes, but has 4 fewer points on 2% less shooting efficiency (taken zero threes), and a surprising 2 fewer rebounds, all against weaker competition
4thGenCal
socaltownie said:

For those scoring at home ucsb is 12 and 2 and leading the big west. Of course jk will screw this up but of there was ever an obvious hire.......
Agreed and JP remains interested, but now so are other P5 conf programs. Nothing will be near term, done/advanced/discussed etc out of focus on his program and respect toward both staff's/dept's.
bearister
HoopDreams said:

interesting Kelly's numbers are down compared to last year

He's played 2 fewer minutes, but has 4 fewer points on 2% less shooting efficiency (taken zero threes), and a surprising 2 fewer rebounds, all against weaker competition

The culprit: Bear guilt.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calumnus
Dennis Gates has Missouri at 13-2 and ranked #20 with the #3 offense in the country according to Ken Pom (just ahead of Mark Few's Gonzaga).

Ken Pom has UCSB at #97 with the #126 offense and #91 defense.

Of course Cal has moved up to #203 with the #226 and the #172 defense.
MSaviolives
The California Golden Bears are 2-1 so far in the "Conference of Champions": the Mighty Pac 12 (soon to be P-Something Else) Conference.
drizzlybear
MSaviolives said:

The California Golden Bears are 2-1 so far in the "Conference of Champions": the Mighty Pac 12 (soon to be P-Something Else) Conference.

Unfortunately, that's not so. Cal played two conference games in December and lost them both. So we're 2-3 rn.
socaltownie
calumnus said:

Dennis Gates has Missouri at 13-2 and ranked #20 with the #3 offense in the country according to Ken Pom (just ahead of Mark Few's Gonzaga).

Sure. But we are NOT getting Gates. That ship has long since sailed. I am not sure he remains at Mizzu for that long but they do have SEC $.

KenPom isn't any good for mid-majors. That is where we are getting our next head coach - unless you think hiring Fox #2 because we want a candidate with P5 experience is another good idea ;-(
BC Calfan
socaltownie said:

Sure. But we are NOT getting Gates. That ship has long since sailed. I am not sure he remains at Mizzu for that long but they do have SEC $.

KenPom isn't any good for mid-majors. That is where we are getting our next head coach - unless you think hiring Fox #2 because we want a candidate with P5 experience is another good idea ;-(
Yes, thank you. Gates is locked in. He's getting national pub for his ranked team. Probably has an immense buyout. Also, we have little evidence that he's interested in the Cal job. As far as I know, he has had very little connection to the program since he left. The only thing I recall was his interview with Mike Williams, before Wyking was hired, and the AD side of the story was he unprepared for the interview. (consider the source on this). Also, Gates' coaching footprint is not on the West Coast; Florida St., Cleveland St. and now Mizzou.

It will be a shame if we lose out on Pasternack too. He checks so many boxes for us but the most important one is he actually desires the job. If he continues his successful season at UCSB, I could see him taking a Pac-12 job next year. Furd, UW, Oregon St. and even USC could be hiring.
socaltownie
BC Calfan said:

socaltownie said:

Yes, thank you. Gates is locked in. He's getting national pub for his ranked team. Probably has an immense buyout. Also, we have little evidence that he's interested in the Cal job. As far as I know, he has had very little connection to the program since he left. The only thing I recall was his interview with Mike Williams, before Wyking was hired, and the AD side of the story was he unprepared for the interview. (consider the source on this). Also, Gates' coaching footprint is not on the West Coast; Florida St., Cleveland St. and now Mizzou.

It will be a shame if we lose out on Pasternack too. He checks so many boxes for us but the most important one is he actually desires the job. If he continues his successful season at UCSB, I could see him taking a Pac-12 job next year. Furd, UW, Oregon St. and even USC could be hiring.
3 other boxes

1) He understands UC (as now a 2 time employee). While Cal has dynamics that are different they are not THAT much different than the other campuses. All have similar forms of governance. All have a pretty similar commitment to "shared governance" (aka, faculty is critically important in decision making). And, of course, as video guy Joe HAS worked at UCB so understands where to park :-)

2) He knows west coast AAU and High school. The guy has been recruiting the west coast for over 2 decades. He starts with a huge number of folks he knows.

3) He likely immediately can raise 7 figures (or perhaps even 8) for NIL. There is a group of wealthy alumni that are strongly supportive of him. No other candidate will hit the ground running in that way - while (see #1) understanding that some targets will not be good fits and so he will not waste time (nor his own brain cells) in trying to make square pegs fit in round holes.
philbert
socaltownie said:

calumnus said:

Depends on what the search firm feeds JK
mdbear
BC Calfan said:

socaltownie said:

I agree that we missed out on Gates and are unlikely to ever attract him. There was a narrow window of opportunity at the end of last season. We would have needed to fire Fox and make an attractive offer to Gates before anyone else got to him. We did neither and have now missed out on an outstanding scholar, athlete, and coach who could have turned our program around. Missouri has shown that it will pay what it takes to attract a top coach. If Gates continues to succeed, he will get a raise soon. The only way I see him leaving Missouri is if a blue blood program comes after him.
MSaviolives
drizzlybear said:

MSaviolives said:

Unfortunately, that's not so. Cal played two conference games in December and lost them both. So we're 2-3 rn.
Thanks for the reminder (I guess). So much forgettable about this season I had already put those weird early conference games out of my mind.

A year or two ago we played Oregon State in an early non-conference game because COVID had sidelined the Bear' 'opponent at a tournament but OSU was available. Weird times we live in.
drizzlybear
MSaviolives said:

drizzlybear said:

MSaviolives said:

Thanks for the reminder (I guess). So much forgettable about this season I had already put those weird early conference games out of my mind.

A year or two ago we played Oregon State in an early non-conference game because COVID had sidelined the Bear' 'opponent at a tournament but OSU was available. Weird times we live in.

Yeah, those early, disconnected conference games are screwy. No bueno.
calumnus
socaltownie said:

calumnus said:

Ok, agree about Gates, though a good Cal AD keeps a dialogue going, if just for knowledge and advice.

Disagree about Ken Pom not being any good for Mid-Majors. Gonzaga, St. Mary's and San Diego State are all Mid-Majors and look good in Ken Pom. The #1 team in Ken Pom right now is Houston, indicating Kelvin Sampson might be a good coach….

Dennis Gates looked good in Ken Pom at Cleveland State.

I especially like to look at offensive efficiency as an indicator of good coaching. That says look at Toledo, Oral Roberts, Utah State, Colgate, UAB, Youngstown State, St. Louis…

Obviously, context is important. For example, It is tougher to recruit top California kids at Montana than Santa Barbara.

West Coast recruiting network, general fit at Cal and ability to sell Cal comparative advantages are key. I do think Pasternak at least checks the boxes on those.

However, we are in a new era. The main reason I could be convinced that Pasternak is the best choice is the credible assertion that he has a great relationship with, and can smooze the big donors to put up big bucks for NIL. Plus, his background at Arizona convinces me he would be good at using that NiL to bring great players to Cal.
socaltownie
The reason it is screwy is just how crushing a single bad loss like U of NA on the road can be. Perhaps "mid-major" isn't the right moniker - maybe low major as SDSU with a preseason filled with the big boys.

Joe's track record at UCSB speaks for itself. We can find a glitch about anyone and Cal aint' getting Mark Few. Pasternack is the only logical choice who will actually say yes.
calumnus
socaltownie said:

Pasternack is the only logical choice who will actually say yes.

Statements like that are not helpful for convincing me.

There are other logical choices and there is no way we know who will say yes until we ask. Who would have thought Cal could grab a coach from Tennessee days after taking his team to the Sweet 16? Jason Kidd repeatedly expresses interest. Please do not sell Cal short.

However, I accept that you feel strongly enough that Pasternak is the BEST choice that we should not bother with a search. Again, if it is due to his unique ability to get certain big donors to give him a war chest for NIL, I can buy that logic. We are in a new era. I can see him excelling in this era with the right resources.
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

calumnus said:

However, we are in a new era. The main reason I could be convinced that Pasternak is the best choice is the credible assertion that he has a great relationship with, and can smooze the big donors to put up big bucks for NIL. Plus, his background at Arizona convinces me he would be good at using that NiL to bring great players to Cal.

I see what you did there
89Bear
socaltownie said:

BC Calfan said:

socaltownie said:

3 other boxes

1) He understands UC (as now a 2 time employee). While Cal has dynamics that are different they are not THAT much different than the other campuses. All have similar forms of governance. All have a pretty similar commitment to "shared governance" (aka, faculty is critically important in decision making). And, of course, as video guy Joe HAS worked at UCB so understands where to park :-)

2) He knows west coast AAU and High school. The guy has been recruiting the west coast for over 2 decades. He starts with a huge number of folks he knows.

3) He likely immediately can raise 7 figures (or perhaps even 8) for NIL. There is a group of wealthy alumni that are strongly supportive of him. No other candidate will hit the ground running in that way - while (see #1) understanding that some targets will not be good fits and so he will not waste time (nor his own brain cells) in trying to make square pegs fit in round holes.

His recruiting connections and ability to quickly raise NIL funds make him an obvious choice after the program has bottomed out. He may not be THE guy to win conference titles, but he will get the program back to a very good level, in my opinion. Step by step.
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

calumnus said:

I see what you did there

He was on Sean Miller's staff from 2011 to 2017, including 4 years as Assoc. Head Coach. After an FBI investigation, a player's father testified under oath that agent Christian Dawkins told him Arizona, through Pasternak, would pay him $50,000 if his son attended Arizona. Even if you don't believe that (why lie about Pasternak under oath?) I don't think it is credible that all the coaches, including Miller were talking about paying players, but Pasternak knew nothing about it? He was the big recruiter but he was doing all that with no knowledge that the players were getting offers through the program to be paid? How would that even work?

To be clear, I actually have less issue with his being involved in making payments than with his lying about it. Especially now that paying players is essentially permissible. But maybe that is just me. Just leaves a certain impression of the man.

I do believe he was paying players with booster money when it was tougher to do so and he got away with it. That shows smarts. Effectiveness. He will be better in the new era than guys who never paid anyone. Thus I do think that if he has a good war chest he could be very effective in the NIL era. And if the war chest is bigger with him than it would be otherwise, that is as good of a reason to hire him as any. If he came clean about the past, seemed genuine, I'd like him more, but again, maybe they is just me.

socaltownie
The key in that investigation (and why Miller skated) is that Dawkins is not a credible witness. So even if we believe the hearsey from the father we now are left with Dawkins.

If you want "win the right way" you can stick with Fox. That has worked out FANTASTIC. I actually wonder if Fox has embraced NIL - it would not at ALL suprise me that this is another thing he puts his hands on hips about and does lemon face.

calumnus
socaltownie said:

The key in that investigation (and why Miller skated) is that Dawkins is not a credible witness. So even if we believe the hearsey from the father we now are left with Dawkins.

If you want "win the right way" you can stick with Fox. That has worked out FANTASTIC. I actually wonder if Fox has embraced NIL - it would not at ALL suprise me that this is another thing he puts his hands on hips about and does lemon face.

Yet everyone here is convinced the Gardners were credible. The evidence against Miller was MUCH stronger and more credible than the evidence against Bozeman. The Gardners wanted revenge for Jelani's benching, wanted Jelani to be able to transfer without sitting out a year and wanted revenge for Bozeman reporting their brother/brother-in-law agent to the NCAA the year before for the car he gave to Jelani's friend Tremaine Folwkes. What was Dawkins' motive to lie under oath? Has he been prosecuted? The FBI had Miller on tape. The Gardners' "tape" was a joke.

The difference was the money, power and school rallied to fight the charges against Miller and Arizona. For Cal and Bozeman it was the opposite.

Similar with Ainsworth and Davenport. Same with Mike White. We are one of the most penalized schools in the country, do we really think we are one of the dirtiest? Dirtier than Arizona?

Anyway, this all moot. These are rules and standards that no longer apply. We now want a coach that is able to negotiate with recruits and coordinate with boosters to get them paid and is really comfortable with and adept at that. If Pasternak is NOT that guy, then he is LESS desirable as the new Cal head coach for 2023.

MilleniaBear
I haven't seen the kicking incident mentioned in this thread. Who did Pasternak kick? Jorge? He can begin with apologizing to Jorge.
eastcoastcal
MilleniaBear said:

I haven't seen the kicking incident mentioned in this thread. Who did Pasternak kick? Jorge? He can begin with apologizing to Jorge.
I wasn't here for when the kicking incident happened, so maybe my opinion is useless. But honestly, my idea on this is to literally turn it into a positive for the program- if Pasternack becomes HC, I think he should have a whole fun, lighthearted event where Jorge is invited and "kicks" him in revenge (lightly). Get a bunch of former Cal basketball alums, invite the fans, and you can treat it like an introductory meeting with a lot of media there to take photos of all the fun. Would be way more fun than what Fox had for his opening conference, might generate some excitement and laughs for the program, and maybe the fans who are still angry about it might forgive him if they see Jorge joining in on it. Just my 2 cent idea.

You could even give the event the name "Kickstart Cal Basketball" and use the event as a fundraising where attendees are encouraged to donate to the NIL fund or something.
Chapman_is_Gone
MilleniaBear said:

The incident was far less egregious than some Cal fans make it out to be. While I've never taken a poll, I get the feeling that the majority of Cal fans couldn't care less about the oh-so-terrible foot reflex.

75bear
Pasternak's transgression seems like child's play compared to Tosh Lupoi's.
calumnus
75bear said:

And it was Justin Wilcox who hired Tosh just before LOI and benefited from flipping Shaq Thompson to Wilcox's LB corp at UW, yet Wilcox got a complete pass.
BeachedBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

MilleniaBear said:

The incident was far less egregious than some Cal fans make it out to be. While I've never taken a poll, I get the feeling that the majority of Cal fans couldn't care less about the oh-so-terrible foot reflex.

The kick looked really bad on video (especially Pasternack's facial expression). But it was one of those 'in the moment' actions, it never seemed pre-meditated or designed. I think the biggest 'oops' from the whole thing is that Joe P didn't seem contrite or ever apologized that I recall.
socaltownie
Here is an old link with the video
https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/8884

11 years ago. I bet that a ton of our fans don't even know who Jorge is. Fox is probably among them :-(
stu
Given the average age of our fans forgetfulness is forgivable.
ManBearLion123
I actually think the majority of our fans would know all about Jorge, as I can't imagine Cal basketball has gained many new fans since the Wyking hire. Most of the fanbase are holdovers from better times.
HoopDreams
here's a refresher

Alkiadt
calumnus said:

75bear said:

And it was Justin Wilcox who hired Tosh just before LOI and benefited from flipping Shaq Thompson to Wilcox's LB corp at UW, yet Wilcox got a complete pass.

Sarkisian hired Tosh.
calumnus
Alkiadt said:

calumnus said:

75bear said:

Sarkisian hired Tosh.

Ultimately he (or really the UW AD) hired him but Sark hired Wilcox as his DC and gave him authority to pick his staff, which is SOP for a guy who was a QB coach and had only been an OC for 2 years before becoming a HC at UW.

Wilcox picked his buddy Peter Sirmon, who he brought with him from Tennessee, as his LB coach, Keith Heyward (Wilcox's choice again according to reports at the time) as his DB coach and his friend Tosh Lupoi, who he knew when he was coaching at Cal and had stayed in touch with, as his DL coach, it was Wilcox that knew those guys, not Sark. Sark had zero connection with Lupoi except through Wilcox. It was Wilcox that reached out to Tosh and offered various titles within the defense (the salary obviously came from the UW AD via Sark). Sark would not overstep Wilcox on something like that.

When Wilcox hired Heyward from OSU, he called Mike Riley to ask permission to talk with him. He did not offer Tedford the same curtesy.

The fact that was the exact same group of friends Wilcox tried to assemble as his defensive staff at Cal should tell you those are Wilcox's guys, not Sark's.

In the ESPN article about Shaq Thompson flipping to UW: "As big as Lupoi was, new Huskies defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox might have played an even bigger role. Wilcox recruited Thompson's older brother, Syd Thompson, to Cal seven years ago and the family was very comfortable with him. "We trust J-Cox," said Thompson's uncle, B. T. Thompson who helped oversee his nephew's recruitment. "He's like family and we know he'll look after Shaq and that's big."

All of this history became very inconvenient when Williams hired Wilcox as Cal's HC. so I guess people close to the program just put out another narrative absolving Wilcox of any role in the hiring of Lupoi and the flipping of Shaq to his defense.

I suppose if we hire Pasternak "the Kick" will be entirely Sean Miller's fault?

drizzlybear
HoopDreams said:

here's a refresher

He's on my Mt. Rushmore.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.