Pasternack is 12 and 2

5,089 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigDaddy
barsad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I find all this buzzing about who would consider coming to Cal kind of funny… the initial question would be, what signal is JK putting out that we're "open for business"? If only there were a way to clear the tarmac and show the next guy that he has carte blanche to shape a program and won't have to deal with a bunch of baggage in March -June while we mess around with the last coach. Oh wait, there IS an obvious way to do that (just send Fox packing tomorrow), but for some reason no one's making the move).
What are the current percentages on these two questions:
Fox fired right after the last game:
Fox fired before the last game:

A few weeks ago I was at 100% and 50%. As every week passes, my hopeful 100% is slipping like housing prices after an earthquake.
A smart mid-major coach with ambition would steer clear of anyplace that tolerates the dysfunction we've all witnessed the past few years.
calumnus
barsad said:

I find all this buzzing about who would consider coming to Cal kind of funny… the initial question would be, what signal is JK putting out that we're "open for business"? If only there were a way to clear the tarmac and show the next guy that he has carte blanche to shape a program and won't have to deal with a bunch of baggage in March -June while we mess around with the last coach. Oh wait, there IS an obvious way to do that (just send Fox packing tomorrow), but for some reason no one's making the move).
What are the current percentages on these two questions:
Fox fired right after the last game:
Fox fired before the last game:

A few weeks ago I was at 100% and 50%. As every week passes, my hopeful 100% is slipping like housing prices after an earthquake.
A smart mid-major coach with ambition would steer clear of anyplace that tolerates the dysfunction we've all witnessed the past few years.

It is Knowlton we are predicting, so you have to account for idiocy. He seems to be bending over backwards to defend Fox. He clearly has strong affinity for him which is why he hired him.

However, I don't think the "disfunction " should disuade any mid-major coach from coming here. If anything it should encourage them. This is a place where you can make $millions, come in last or second to last and excuses will be made for you and you will be given extensions. It is also a place where we have had 3 Mc Donald's All Americans and received a 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament. We are I. A great recruiting location. So if I am a mid-major coach Cal is almost an ideal job.
stu
calumnus said:

This is a place where you can make $millions, come in last or second to last and excuses will be made for you and you will be given extensions.
If the AD has strong affinity for you. In other words, if you're as bad a fit for Cal as he is.
calumnus
stu said:

calumnus said:

This is a place where you can make $millions, come in last or second to last and excuses will be made for you and you will be given extensions.
If the AD has strong affinity for you. In other words, if you're as bad a fit for Cal as he is.

Good point
Apathetic Bear
socaltownie said:

Here is an old link with the video
https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/8884

11 years ago. I bet that a ton of our fans don't even know who Jorge is. Fox is probably among them :-(
The words "ton" and "fans" should never be associated with each other when discussing Cal men's basketball.
BigDaddy
BC Calfan said:

socaltownie said:

Sure. But we are NOT getting Gates. That ship has long since sailed. I am not sure he remains at Mizzu for that long but they do have SEC $.

KenPom isn't any good for mid-majors. That is where we are getting our next head coach - unless you think hiring Fox #2 because we want a candidate with P5 experience is another good idea ;-(

It will be a shame if we lose out on Pasternack too. He checks so many boxes for us but the most important one is he actually desires the job. If he continues his successful season at UCSB, I could see him taking a Pac-12 job next year. Furd, UW, Oregon St. and even USC could be hiring.
He absolutely should be on any short list for Cal basketball.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.