monster ajay mitchell

20,567 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Shocky1
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pittstop said:

I mostly agree with your analysis of what is required for a coach to win at Cal, as well as the characteristics of the school and of the area that recruits should find highly attractive. Except that Mike Montgomery showed that winning could be accomplished with good coaching and sound basketball and discipline, and both offensive and defensive fundamentals, even though MM was never a gangbusters recruiter. SOME coaches can just coach.

Sure, if we can get a Hall of Fame coach, who left his longtime school and failed in the NBA, but with a few years left before retirement, maybe Mark Few or Coach K? Except he has to live In the Bay Area and not want to move and not want you go back to his old school because one of his protgs is there. Maybe eventually Randy Bennett? Krzyzewski retired last year, maybe we somehow get him to come to Cal?
bluesaxe
Shocky1 said:

bluesaxe, ur funny as **** criticisms of all the mcdonalds all americans made me smile since ur team wuz 3-29 this season...kentucky is the gold standard in recruiting, if you beat them multiple times for guys ur gonna have a pretty special program, got it?

ur commentary kinda reminds me of the dumb azz guy in this video criticizing his perfectly fabulous (ok maybe a little bit flawed) curvy brunette yoga female girlfriend, she's a mcdonalds all american in my book

we were a program during coach martin's (and coach montgomery) cal's monster class era of a 18-0 home record in front of almost 11,000 fans per game with a loud & hostile homecourt advantage that often stormed the floor after epic victories while celebrating with mcdonalds all americans the magic of cal basketball

but u saw it differently, it wuz all just a ****show to u, **** coach martin

Like I said, I liked the Martin hire. But what I said about the recruits you mentioned wasn't criticism. Those were facts about your so-called potential Final Four team. Look it up. Responding with stats from a totally different team and a bunch of yoga bull**** isn't much of an argument. THAT Brown/Rabb team had potential Final Four talent but lost in the first round. Also a fact, though it was a loss with a lot of causes that were not Martin's fault. I was at those home games Skip, and yeah life was different then.

Just don't tell me he coached an NBA style offense. A perfectly valid criticism would be that he didn't hire an assistant who could do that.
bluesaxe
Shocky1 said:

https://instagr.am/p/BNSb5TFBc3c
bluesaxe, ok my fun is over (and this thread is probably getting closer to the end) so here's a more nuanced real world insider view of mcdonalds all americans, let's take jemarl baker, ok?

u wrote "Baker turned out to be mediocre at best"

coach martin hired the best s&c coach i've ever met (my clients include a nba organization which allows me access to other nba teams's personnel) i've ever met, he got guys ready for the league with nba bodies with toned muscle that incorporated yoga (at my urging) as part of the developmental process...and the fact that shocky thought his wife wuz pretty amazing wuz not a surprise to nobody (fallon would coach taylor on how to put together outfits without going designer label crazy)

nicodemus tole me that getting jermarl baker's very skinny frame (kinda like current commit sharpshooter rodney brown who will likely decommit if joe pasternack don't end up in berkeley) nba ready wuz gonna be a major priority...jemarl wuz arguably the top perimeter shooter in high school in his class & never got his body right at kentucky which resulted in debilitating injuries & ur right his career flamed out but that don't mean he couldn't have been an all american for the bears with coach martin & nicodemus christopher shaping his body, got it?

so if coach martin stays in berkeley, then coach nico (who is now running a very successful training program with multiple nuggets in denver as clients) stays too & then 1st round nba draft pick joshua christopher would've been a bear at both nico & patrick's encouragement...plz spare me ur expertise in breaking down all of the flaws in joshua christopher's game who plays for the houston rockets, ok?

but of course the dumb azzs who believe "cuonzo left the cupboard" bare don't consider that jemarl baker could've reached his true upside in berkeley or that joshua christopher would've been a california golden bear before being the #24th pick in the 2021 nba draft

there's been a lot of misinformation on this board during my 6 year censorship termination, the monster has always strived to tell the truth
I never said he left the cupboard bare. His departure did in fact leave very little talent with us, but I'm willing to believe that those guys might have come if he stayed. I'm not arguing that Martin was a bad hire or that he didn't do a lot of good things for the program. And I would have liked that recruiting class, like I would have loved Josh Christopher as a Bear. But strength and conditioning, as much as it can help someone improve, doesn't make a program. Fact is, none of those guys turned out to be stars and the stars we did have who were actually better than those guys didn't sniff a Final Four.

The point remains that Martin's offenses were never very good, even with high quality players. Weren't good at Tennessee, weren't good at Cal, weren't good at Missouri. Martin had a lot of good qualities, but I wish he'd seen that hole in his own game and hired someone to fill it.

You can insult everyone who disagrees with you all you want but it won't make you right about that. Cheers.
Cabin14
bluesaxe said:

Shocky1 said:

bluesaxe, ur funny as **** criticisms of all the mcdonalds all americans made me smile since ur team wuz 3-29 this season...kentucky is the gold standard in recruiting, if you beat them multiple times for guys ur gonna have a pretty special program, got it?

ur commentary kinda reminds me of the dumb azz guy in this video criticizing his perfectly fabulous (ok maybe a little bit flawed) curvy brunette yoga female girlfriend, she's a mcdonalds all american in my book

we were a program during coach martin's (and coach montgomery) cal's monster class era of a 18-0 home record in front of almost 11,000 fans per game with a loud & hostile homecourt advantage that often stormed the floor after epic victories while celebrating with mcdonalds all americans the magic of cal basketball

Like I said, I liked the Martin hire. But what I said about the recruits you mentioned wasn't criticism. Those were facts about your so-called potential Final Four team. Look it up. Responding with stats from a totally different team and a bunch of yoga bull**** isn't much of an argument. THAT Brown/Rabb team had potential Final Four talent but lost in the first round. Also a fact, though it was a loss with a lot of causes that were not Martin's fault. I was at those home games Skip, and yeah life was different then.

Just don't tell me he coached an NBA style offense. A perfectly valid criticism would be that he didn't hire an assistant who could do that.
It's funny because that Cuonzo team did receive the highest seed in Cal's modern history, but one could still make the argument that no Cal coach has done less with more…granted, Jaylen Brown was far from the player he is now…kid was a lock for 2 player-control fouls a night. And Ivan Rabb, while solid, certainly was never the dynamic player people hoped him to be…missing Ty Wallace and Jabari in the 1st rounder v. Hawaii was a dagger.
Civil Bear
Cabin14 said:

bluesaxe said:

Shocky1 said:

It's funny because that Cuonzo team did receive the highest seed in Cal's modern history, but one could still make the argument that no Cal coach has done less with more…granted, Jaylen Brown was far from the player he is now…kid was a lock for 2 player-control fouls a night. And Ivan Rabb, while solid, certainly was never the dynamic player people hoped him to be…missing Ty Wallace and Jabari in the 1st rounder v. Hawaii was a dagger.
Yup, and had Monty left Cuanzo a roster like Cuanzo left Jones, then that undefeated at-home season would never have happened.
Cal8285
Shocky1 said:

socaltownie said:

Quinn was a scholarship athlete. Now we can quibble that ted
quinn wuz a walk on & received preferential admissions which ensured donna wuz not gonna let her husband take another job for 4-5 years unless he wanted to live all by himself at the office at some truck stop town
Yep, Quinn Tedford got treated in admissions as a preferred walk-on, so it is silly to compare the situation to Cuonzo Martin's kid, who was not looking to be on the basketball team. Tedford's kid almost certainly gets the same treatment as Martin's kid if he is looking to be admitted without the preferential admissions treatment from being a PWO. Martin's kid almost certainly gets in if he had been an athlete with PWO status.

Saying that Martin would have stayed if only his kid had gotten admitted to Cal is about the same as saying that Martin would have stayed if only the Cal campus had been moved to St. Louis, Missouri. Neither one was going to happen, so what's the point?
Jeff82
Shocky1 said:

socal, joshua martin is black & got a 3.67 gpa and wuz not cleared off the wait list by berkeley admissions

quinn tedford is white & got a significantly lower gpa & got accepted by berkeley admissions (to his credit quinn earned his degree)

if you gotta head coach that can successfully recruit the best athletes on planet earth (i.e. mcdonalds all americans) & potentially compete for a final four during march madness than you make an exception for his son, the incremental value of the tens of millions of dollars in additional donations to the university is for the greater good in the trade off for one admission spot

you disagree & that's fine, life is not linear
I think you two should just agree to disagree on this point. Quinn Tedford is not relevant, IMHO, because that was a different time, and the level of demand for admission to Cal is undoubtedly greater now than it was then. The argument about Martin's son being AA is a decent one, but that ship sailed with Prop. 209. Also, I must admit that my view on this is that socioeconomic status should be given more consideration, and race less, in deciding when to special admit applicants. I'm not sure bringing in upper-middle-class kids of other races really adds that much to diversity. What you need is diversity of experiences, but that's just my opinion.

This also goes back to SCT's point, which I agree with, that Cal doesn't need athletics to attract applicants. The research on whether athletics also leads to non-athletic donations to a university is also mixed, as I understand it.

Basically, the issue is really whether Knowlton believes basketball can be successful enough to generate more money that it's generating now to support non-revenue sports, or whether he's sufficiently fearful of donors pulling general support for the athletic department to do something about the basketball disaster, even when he'd rather not.

We'll know once the hire is announced. IMHO, if it's Miles or another retreat, or really anyone probably other than Pasternack or Abdur-Rahim, we'll no he doesn't care, and I can spend my Thursday nights and weekend afternoons working on my two-plane swing at the driving range or the course, rather than wasting time at Haas Pavilion.
HoopDreams
Cabin14 said:

bluesaxe said:

Shocky1 said:

Martin was a very good coach for us. He brought in a historic recruiting class, beat EVERY team in the Pac-12 and got us a 4 seed in the west. Extreme bad luck that knocked two starters out for the tournament (one during pre-game) was the reason Cal didn't go the Sweet Sixteen or higher which was a near lock considering having Wallace alone would have beaten Hawaii and our second round match up was very good.

Cal would have been the hot team like many teams that were launched with a big tourney run (e.g. Altman's first season). With that result we would have certainly added a better recruiting class and made the NCAA the next year too (as it was, we missed the tournament by a win or two)

This narrative that Jalen just puts his head down and charges into defenders is just wrong. Brown was Pac 12 freshmen of the year, and first team all-conference. Coaches didn't vote for him if they thought all he did was run into people.

Yes that happened in the Hawaii game after Singer went out with early fouls and Chauca was assaulted by their undersized, but quick and experienced PG, but neither would have played PG if we had Wallace. With Wallace and Bird our bench of Roger, Domingo and Chauca would have barely seen the court.

That trio combined played 48 minutes, scored 3 points on 0-11 shooting and 3-6 FTs
socaltownie
Jeff82 said:

Shocky1 said:

socal, joshua martin is black & got a 3.67 gpa and wuz not cleared off the wait list by berkeley admissions

quinn tedford is white & got a significantly lower gpa & got accepted by berkeley admissions (to his credit quinn earned his degree)

if you gotta head coach that can successfully recruit the best athletes on planet earth (i.e. mcdonalds all americans) & potentially compete for a final four during march madness than you make an exception for his son, the incremental value of the tens of millions of dollars in additional donations to the university is for the greater good in the trade off for one admission spot

you disagree & that's fine, life is not linear
I think you two should just agree to disagree on this point. Quinn Tedford is not relevant, IMHO, because that was a different time, and the level of demand for admission to Cal is undoubtedly greater now than it was then. The argument about Martin's son being AA is a decent one, but that ship sailed with Prop. 209. Also, I must admit that my view on this is that socioeconomic status should be given more consideration, and race less, in deciding when to special admit applicants. I'm not sure bringing in upper-middle-class kids of other races really adds that much to diversity. What you need is diversity of experiences, but that's just my opinion.

This also goes back to SCT's point, which I agree with, that Cal doesn't need athletics to attract applicants. The research on whether athletics also leads to non-athletic donations to a university is also mixed, as I understand it.

Basically, the issue is really whether Knowlton believes basketball can be successful enough to generate more money that it's generating now to support non-revenue sports, or whether he's sufficiently fearful of donors pulling general support for the athletic department to do something about the basketball disaster, even when he'd rather not.

We'll know once the hire is announced. IMHO, if it's Miles or another retreat, or really anyone probably other than Pasternack or Abdur-Rahim, we'll no he doesn't care, and I can spend my Thursday nights and weekend afternoons working on my two-plane swing at the driving range or the course, rather than wasting time at Haas Pavilion.
I think that the slippery slope of legacy admits is AWFUL for a place like Cal. Shocky's argument about Martin MIGHT be true. But it is undoutably true that Nobel winners who continue to seek grants bring FAR more overhead profit to the univsersity. Donors who write 7 figure checks as well. And yet Cal doesn't provide EITHER category special application status for their spawn.

Not not to go too far off track but nearly equally awful has been test blind admissions. Currently Cal (and nearly every other UC not Merced and Riverside) are struggling over the sheer volume of 100,000+ applications where there is a huge amount of "grade compression" in the applicant pool. Martin's kid really isn't competitive with a 3.7 (I assume unweighted). Nearly every applicant that is getting considered is 4.2 and higher. And so the PIQ is paramount - and what is getting through reflects some of the worst bias of the woke crowd ever. It really is maddening. And that isn't said as some flaming conservative.....passed over are the middle class/working class kids who have a boring PIQ and worked at In and out to help the family. in favor of the kid who created their social activist club on campus to take it to the man.
Cabin14
HoopDreams said:

Cabin14 said:

bluesaxe said:

Shocky1 said:

Martin was a very good coach for us. He brought in a historic recruiting class, beat EVERY team in the Pac-12 and got us a 4 seed in the west. Extreme bad luck that knocked two starters out for the tournament (one during pre-game) was the reason Cal didn't go the Sweet Sixteen or higher which was a near lock considering having Wallace alone would have beaten Hawaii and our second round match up was very good.

Cal would have been the hot team like many teams that were launched with a big tourney run (e.g. Altman's first season). With that result we would have certainly added a better recruiting class and made the NCAA the next year too (as it was, we missed the tournament by a win or two)

This narrative that Jalen just puts his head down and charges into defenders is just wrong. Brown was Pac 12 freshmen of the year, and first team all-conference. Coaches didn't vote for him if they thought all he did was run into people.

Yes that happened in the Hawaii game after Singer went out with early fouls and Chauca was assaulted by their undersized, but quick and experienced PG, but neither would have played PG if we had Wallace. With Wallace and Bird our bench of Roger, Domingo and Chauca would have barely seen the court.

That trio combined played 48 minutes, scored 3 points on 0-11 shooting and 3-6 FTs
That's silly - Jaylen Brown was a poor outside shooter at Cal and got a majority of his points going to the tin and from the free throw line. He drew contact, he initiated contact. He drew a whistle one way or the other a great deal of the time. You say the narrative that he just put his head down and charged into defenders was wrong, but that's actually exactly what he did...

He was undoubtedly talented, a deserving FOY and all-P12 guy - but he was hardly a polished offensive player, and spent a great deal of time in the 1H of games sitting with 2 fouls, many of which were from the offensive side, including the Hawaii game.

No arguments here that Stephen Domingo, Brandon Chauca & Roger Moute-bidias had no business seeing action in the Dance...they weren't P12 caliber players.

Martin was a good coach, no doubt...but he inherited a roster that already had Ty Wallace, Jabari Bird and Jordan Mathews...those were Monty's guys. Let's not make Cuonzo out to be something he is not, as that roster had 4 NBA players, yet still underachieved.
89Bear
Cabin14 said:

HoopDreams said:

Cabin14 said:

bluesaxe said:

Shocky1 said:

That's silly - Jaylen Brown was a poor outside shooter at Cal and got a majority of his points going to the tin and from the free throw line. He drew contact, he initiated contact. He drew a whistle one way or the other a great deal of the time. You say the narrative that he just put his head down and charged into defenders was wrong, but that's actually exactly what he did...

He was undoubtedly talented, a deserving FOY and all-P12 guy - but he was hardly a polished offensive player, and spent a great deal of time in the 1H of games sitting with 2 fouls, many of which were from the offensive side, including the Hawaii game.

No arguments here that Stephen Domingo, Brandon Chauca & Roger Moute-bidias had no business seeing action in the Dance...they weren't P12 caliber players.

Martin was a good coach, no doubt...but he inherited a roster that already had Ty Wallace, Jabari Bird and Jordan Mathews...those were Monty's guys. Let's not make Cuonzo out to be something he is not, as that roster had 4 NBA players, yet still underachieved.

Right about now, I would take a few years of 18-0 at home, a 4 seed, and an upset loss in the tourney.
Jeff82
What is PIQ?
Cabin14
89Bear said:

Cabin14 said:

HoopDreams said:

Cabin14 said:

bluesaxe said:

Shocky1 said:

Right about now, I would take a few years of 18-0 at home, a 4 seed, and an upset loss in the tourney.
Oh F- YEA. I'd take 9-9 at home!! ;-)

I am not saying I wouldn't take Cuonzo back in a heartbeat or that he didn't do great things in Berkeley.

socaltownie
Jeff82 said:

What is PIQ?
Personal insight questions.

My understanding is that they don't change (or at least haven't over several years).

My kiddos answers to these really will be the ONLY thing that the contract readers (paid on average about a buck an application) will have to go on to try to decide if he gets in.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-transfer/personal-insight-questions.html
socaltownie
socaltownie said:

Jeff82 said:

What is PIQ?

My understanding is that they don't change (or at least haven't over several years).

My kiddos answers to these really will be the ONLY thing that the contract readers (paid on average about a buck an application) will have to go on to try to decide if he gets in.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-transfer/personal-insight-questions.html

and the reason is that grades have "compressed" (there will be a 100 seniors his year that have weighted 4.5s or higher) and SAT is no longer considered. After that you got first in family to college and the PIQ.
stu
I would have failed that PIQ so miserably I would have been banned from attending junior college in California.
Jeff82
socaltownie said:

socaltownie said:

Jeff82 said:

What is PIQ?

and the reason is that grades have "compressed" (there will be a 100 seniors his year that have weighted 4.5s or higher) and SAT is no longer considered. After that you got first in family to college and the PIQ.

Looking at the application questions, it's no wonder that a lot of the students don't want to spend the time following Cal sports. Just looking at the questions nearly gave me an anxiety attack. I want my daughter to go to Cal if she can get in, but I'm not at all sure her experience will be anywhere near as enjoyable as mine. It might be better to go someplace with a little less pressure.
stu
My daughter got a great education at a small college on the East Coast. In retrospect I can see I would have done better at a school like that but the experience at Berkeley in the 1960s was amazing. Not so much now.
tequila4kapp
Sweet Jesus, what's going on with this thread?

We are coming out of an era of having the worst P5 team in the entire nation. The. Single. Worst. Team.

Why is so much energy being spent arguing over the offense (it wasn't good) for the last guy who was successful here? This is like groaning about an ex-girlfriend being bad in the sack when your current wife is sleeping with your best friend. Eyes on the prize, guys. Eyes on the prize.
Cabin14
tequila4kapp said:

Sweet Jesus, what's going on with this thread?

We are coming out of an era of having the worst P5 team in the entire nation. The. Single. Worst. Team.

Why is so much energy being spent arguing over the offense (it wasn't good) for the last guy who was successful here? This is like groaning about an ex-girlfriend being bad in the sack when your current wife is sleeping with your best friend. Eyes on the prize, guys. Eyes on the prize.
It's a slow news day.
calumnus
Cabin14 said:

bluesaxe said:

Shocky1 said:

We all love Ty Wallace, but he had some real deficiencies as a PG. Our two best players had graduated: Cobbs and Solomon. Cobbs at PG allowed Wallace to play more as a small forward (with Mathews). The other PG option Monty left was Singer who was really struggling. In desperation Cuonzo brought in late addition Chauca (any 1 year PG grad transfer would have been a better idea). He had only two scholarships the next year and he used them on Jaylen Brown and Ivan Rabb, which no one can argue with. It wasn't until the next year he was able to bring in top ranked PG Charlie Moore, but was a freshman making errors and took too long to have him supplant Singer who still could not shoot from outside but was a more steady presence as a senior.

Some of the issues with "Cuonzo's offense" were Wallace, Singer, Chauca and freshman Moore as PGs those three years. Brown getting zero benefit from PAC-12 refs. Plus, yes, Cuonzo's offense. He has only had one excellent offense, that was his last one at Tennessee before coming to Cal: the #15 offense (and #19 defense) in the country according to Ken Pom (playing at the #313 pace of course).

socaliganbear
Shocky1
cal basketball head coach search update:
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2149073
parentswerebears
I expect the worst.
Cabin14
parentswerebears said:

I expect the worst.
I thought Tim Miles was the worst...then they threw Tom Crean into the mix, and I could totally see idiot Knowlton going for him.
Shocky1
tom crean has never been in the mix
Shocky1
agreed tim miles would be the worst & that knowlton is an idiot
philbert

Pittstop
I thought it was just folks sharing differing opinions on a topic introduced - and amplified - by one of the posters.
Shocky1
dana altman/joe pasternack update:
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2149190
Shocky1
jaylen brown
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2149207
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/BmtSscCiWCy
back in the day#
Shocky1

wifey, the reality is that there is a lotta insider misinformation (aiden lee & tommy christakos are impact wide receiving threats, wyking jones is a good person, mark fox is not lazy & is respected by his players, etc.) out there, the truth is that amir is still in play thru 2nd interviews & that ajay mitchell gotta get lil baby to help with the moving van forever & always

true love won't deceive u#
Shocky1

reza's monster class#
Shocky1
cal basketball 2023/2024 roommate assignments:
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2150179

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.