Pasternack signs extension at UCSB

13,901 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by concernedparent
StillABear1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Down to Madsen and Amir. Maybe Stan Johnson.
wraptor347
Alkiadt
StillABear1 said:

Unless it's Amir, this is a cluster****.
KenBurnski
Knowlton is going to outsmart everyone again isn't he. Unreal.
sonofabear51
This program is in deep shiit and may not survive.
Start Slowly and taper off
eastcoastcal
Alkiadt said:

StillABear1 said:

Unless it's Amir, this is a cluster****.
AAR is the only other candidate I'd reasonably walk away from this process and think it played out ok. Stan Johnson and Madsen are okay candidates but if we miss on AAR we completely bungled this entire thing. Really sad to hear JP "pulled his name" from consideration. What a moron we have running things.
GoCal80
Perhaps JP agreed to the extension at UCSB after learning he was not getting the Cal offer, which could mean we've found our coach.
BadNewsBear1
Perhaps JK had his thumb up his ass and JP told him to suck it.
bipolarbear
It could happen.
4thGenCal
GoCal80 said:

Perhaps JP agreed to the extension at UCSB after learning he was not getting the Cal offer, which could mean we've found our coach.
Nope - JP didn't want to get strung out, felt he had a clear decisive interview with a successful plan in place. Yet JK and his internal person in the dept who sat in, did not get back to Him as the past couple of days went by. To be clear, this was a blown opportunity. My guess is Stan Johnson gets it(don't know just a guess) as there is pressure to hire a Black coach. And if that coach is the best candidate, excellent. Disappointing that JK once again has dropped the ball.
BadNewsBear1
4thGenCal said:

GoCal80 said:

Nope - JP didn't want to get strung out, felt he had a clear decisive interview with a successful plan in place. Yet JK and his internal person in the dept who sat in, did not get back to Him as the past couple of days went by. To be clear, this was a blown opportunity. My guess is Stan Johnson gets it(don't know just a guess) as there is pressure to hire a Black coach. And if that coach is the best candidate, excellent. Disappointing that JK once again has dropped the ball.
Unfortunately as I thought.
sonofabear51
OMG
HKBear97!
4thGenCal said:

GoCal80 said:

Wow. Can't make this stuff up!
DavisBear
It's just so predictable, bumbling Knowlton should have fired Fox before the season was over. Now it's clear that he didn't have any plan and is slowly grinding his way through the process instead of making a decisive move
Intuit
That's a fantasy you are spreading 4rth Gen. It totally lacks credibility in lieu of the powerful public campaigning and visible leaks about support that was lined up to support his program.

It stretches creditability to think he just got his nose out of joint because the selection process dragged on and then went quiet. He didn't walk away from a multiyear 7figure contract and sign a low 6 figure contract because Cal was tardy getting back to him.

It seems he likely was not the first choice and he got out of contention to save face in Santa Barbara
ducky23
Intuit said:

That's a fantasy you are spreading 4rth Gen. It totally lacks credibility in lieu of the powerful public campaigning and visible leaks about support that was lined up to support his program.

It stretches creditability to think he just got his nose out of joint because the selection process dragged on and then went quiet. He didn't walk away from a multiyear 7figure contract and sign a low 6 figure contract because Cal was tardy getting back to him.

It seems he likely was not the first choice and he got out of contention to save face in Santa Barbara

Tbh it does sound like something JPs camp would try to leak to make it sound like he was the dumper and not the dumpee
GoCal80
4thGenCal said:

GoCal80 said:

I'm not a JK fan or defender, but if the Cal admin is pressuring him to hire a Black coach, how did he drop the ball on JP, who is not Black?
stu
Imagine the jeering on the UCSB forum.
sonofabear51
I can hear it here in Ventura
4thGenCal
Intuit said:

JP had 2 interviews and had stated his position/plan clearly. UCSB did revise his contract and had been totally supportive of him thru out the process. JP felt that it was taking too long and He was being strung out (fact) and yes He felt JK had an agenda to hire a different coach. And not all people in JK's ear were Joe supporters. Enough said as this is a message board and I don't want to lob in any inflammatory statements - true as they might be. Its just very disappointing because to turn around this mess of a program, it is going to require significant NIL monies, and very close relationships with Oakland Soldiers/Prolific Prep as well as tight relationships with the local key agents. Cal had that teed up with JP. Not to say the new HC won't succeed, but that person will not have the local relationships as JP has developed over the past 20 years.
Bobodeluxe
Conzo is back!
oski003
It has only been two weeks since Fox was fired, and one weeks since Pasternack's team lost in the tourney. How can you truly string someone along in such a short time frame?
panda
oski003 said:

It has only been two weeks since Fox was fired, and one weeks since Pasternack's team lost in the tourney. How can you truly string someone along in such a short time frame?

How come its taking us significantly longer while other programs are hiring their guys right away?

We simply dont know *** is taking so long but when comparing our timeline to other programs, it's valid to question whether there is some "stringing" along happening…
Shocky1
Intuit said:

intuit, ur a completely unreliable source & probably a bureaucrat within the cal athletic department

4th gen bear has bought 2 houses for cal football/basketball which houses are jaydn ott among other bears, a lotta the guys who have passed on the transfer portal are because of 4th gen bear

TummyoftheGB
Yes, not to mention the fact that Pasternack need only have read the message boards to know that the final interview was yesterday. One day is not even a blink of the eye in university bureaucracy timelines.

Not saying that this will turn out well, and definitely not to defend Knowlton (Johnson would be a completely underwhelming choice), but the narrative that Cal was stringing anyone along is probably in the head of the candidate or the agent of the candidate, as opposed to a unilateral screw-up on Cal's part. Imagine how much better that candidate would feel if he were the clear choice after due diligence (e.g. after interviewing Bennett).
dimitrig

Fox was a dead man walking for a long time now.

They should have identified and ranked the candidates a long time ago.

Interviews should be almost a formality.

Sounds like JP wasn't the first choice. I hope that is because someone a lot better expressed interest but with JKer at the helm I have doubts.

Big C

If this were Joe Pasternack's dream job, I'm having a hard time believing he would back out simply because of 1-2 days delay. That's not how it works.
parentswerebears
I was really thinking it would be Pasternack.
calumnus
Big C said:

If this were Joe Pasternack's dream job, I'm having a hard time believing he would back out simply because of 1-2 days delay. That's not how it works.

Especially when one of his purported strengths is his understanding of and willingness to work with UC bureaucracy.

I do agree that it most likely means he heard he is not the first choice. Hopefully it is someone as good or better.
parentswerebears
calumnus said:

Big C said:

Especially when one of his purported strengths is his understanding of and willingness to work with UC bureaucracy.

I do agree that it most likely means he heard he is not the first choice. Hopefully it is someone as good or better.

I highly doubt it will be.
calumnus
parentswerebears said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

I highly doubt it will be.

It was one of the reasons I was OK with him as the frontrunner and presumptive favorite. He would be OK and I know we (Knowlton) could do worse.
JimSox
Jake Curtis says there are reports AAR is not a serious candidate. I hadn't heard any such reports. I'd be okay with him or with Madsen. Or obviously the guys at Texas or SDSU, but I can't imagine either one would want to come here.
dimitrig
JimSox said:

Jake Curtis says there are reports AAR is not a serious candidate. I hadn't heard any such reports. I'd be okay with him or with Madsen. Or obviously the guys at Texas or SDSU, but I can't imagine either one would want to come here.

I guess it is Madsen then.

dimitrig

I suppose it could also be Miles *retch* or Bennett

calumnus
JimSox said:

I'll be pissed if we passed up Gates and then hire Madsen. Really pissed. Pasternack over Madsen any day.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.