Pasternack signs extension at UCSB

14,099 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by concernedparent
JimSox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dan1997 said:

BearGoggles said:

Shocky1 said:

another 100% inaccurate take from bearly with no knowledge of the situation or joe pasternack's thought process

reading ur stuff is kinda listening to an illiterate person discuss a gameplan to teach reading in schools

the streak continues#
What day did JP interview with Cal?
Second interview was in person on Thursday, first was Zoom last Sunday.

So it WAS only two days. Interview Thursday. Says no soap Saturday.
BearGoggles
dan1997 said:

BearGoggles said:

Shocky1 said:

another 100% inaccurate take from bearly with no knowledge of the situation or joe pasternack's thought process

reading ur stuff is kinda listening to an illiterate person discuss a gameplan to teach reading in schools

the streak continues#
So he felt he was being strung out because he didn't get the job less than a week after his first interview and less than 3 days after his in person?
dan1997
BearGoggles said:

dan1997 said:

BearGoggles said:

Shocky1 said:

the streak continues#
So he felt he was being strung out because he didn't get the job less than a week after his first interview and less than 3 days after his in person?
Leads me to believe, like Bennett, wasn't going to take the job even if offered.
BearlyCareAnymore
Shocky1 said:

bearly, don't expect u to understand this, but ur part of the problem with respects to the tanking of the cal basketball program with ur remarkably consistent misinformed takes re: what it's gonna take for the mbb program to achieve success & also the motives of those with a much clearer vision of the necessary gameplan

Don't expect you to understand this, but I have nothing to do with anything other than being a voice on a message board. Cal is Cal. They do what they do. If you think Cal is going to ever turn control of the vision to medium frogs (athletic donors who fantasize they are big frogs) in a small pond (Cal sports) in a vast ocean (the University overall) whether I support that or not, you are crazy.

Cal only cares about basketball in the sense of what basketball can do for Cal. Bottom line. Neither our faculty nor potential candidates for our faculty care whether Cal succeeds in basketball, so lack of success does not hurt the quality of our faculty. Neither our students or our potential applicants care whether Cal succeeds in basketball, so lack of success does not hurt the quality of our student body. Net revenue does not appreciably rise with success, particularly with the risk that investing more money will not result in success, so lack of success does not substantially impact the bottom line in a way that hurts the university. Middle Aged wealthy alums have been completely apathetic about Cal sports so lack of success isn't stopping them from donating to the University.

The bottom line is that Cal revenue sports have never been the straw that stirs the drink at Cal, and that straw has become a toothpick over the years. The donations to Cal revenue sports are a pittance compared to anywhere that succeeds. Cal donors do not give enough to have the juice to make any major decisions in Cal revenue sports and their ideas over the years have been at times bizarre.

Hire Joe Pasternack is not a gameplan. I know exactly what it will take to achieve success. It will take a big donor or group of donors on the order of Phil Knight to walk into Christ's office and instead of saying "hire my friend" saying "what is it you need?" while simultaneously putting donations to the university in peril. It is the willingness to demand and pay for the hire of an expensive, proven athletic director who can manage a professional sports organization because that is what college revenue sports are. (given the many Cal alums with demonstrated significant success in sports management, it should not be hard if any of them actually thought the support was there to succeed) It is then the willingness to give that AD whatever money he needs to make good intelligent hires in every facet of the athletic department including coaching and to fund all the resources needed. Because Cal is not funding that. If we had anything remotely approaching that, the stadium would have been paid for before shovel hit dirt instead of saddling the athletic department and university with a mountain of debt. Hire my buddy and I'll throw some money in the NIL fund is not getting this done.

Cal and Cal donors are so far away from this reality it is laughable. This is not to blame the donors. I wouldn't give what it takes either, if I were them. It's just reality. Cal has failed for 60 years because the Cal community doesn't want it badly enough to provide the resources to make it happen. Which is fine. If Alabama wants it more, they should have it.

But if you think I, or anyone here, or everyone here has any impact on anything, you are kidding yourself. We can all march on Sproul and Cal will ask how much money we are willing to give. We are all just fans of the Chris Cohan Warriors hoping the hell we find Joe Lacob. That is your plan. Find your Joe Lacob and convince Cal that basketball is actually worth it to them. Otherwise you are just a bunch of Mean Girls deciding who gets to sit where in the cafeteria while we all enjoy today's helping of shyte on a shingle.
Bobodeluxe
dan1997 said:

BearGoggles said:

dan1997 said:

BearGoggles said:

Shocky1 said:

the streak continues#
Leads me to believe, like Bennett, wasn't going to take the job even if offered.
You know nothing because those in the know know things that are not the same things that you know, otherwise everyone would know the same things, which might or might be things worth knowing.
socaltownie
Lot of truth. Ultimately cal doesn't need (revenue) sports and that is a hard pill to swallow but very true.
BearlyCareAnymore
Shocky1 said:

the streak continues#
I literally just accepted what 4th claimed was his thought process and made my point based on 4th's portrayal of that process.

I know you think you are important. That is why for all your bluster about supporting Cal basketball, you abandoned the program when the wrong people decided to stop kissing your ass. You really aren't.

Bottom line, you and 4th insisted he 100% wanted the job despite what we out of the loop plebeians pointed out as obvious facts that made that questionable. As usual you used your self ascribed importance and connections to tell everyone that everyone who disagreed with you just didn't know. You got everyone's hope up just to make yourselves feel important. And now that what we exactly said came to pass in complete opposition to what you said, you still claim that we are the ones who are wrong. Please. This isn't the first time the guarantees have fallen flat.

All I ever said in the situation was to not count on the fact that he would take the job just because a couple people with claimed sources said he would 100% would take the job. He didn't take the job. End of story. Frankly, I think he played you guys, but admittedly I have no first hand knowledge of that fact. But I know as long as he puckered up hard enough, he'd easily be able to accomplish that without you noticing.
LessMilesMoreTedford
BearlyCareAnymore said:

Shocky1 said:

bearly, don't expect u to understand this, but ur part of the problem with respects to the tanking of the cal basketball program with ur remarkably consistent misinformed takes re: what it's gonna take for the mbb program to achieve success & also the motives of those with a much clearer vision of the necessary gameplan

Don't expect you to understand this, but I have nothing to do with anything other than being a voice on a message board. Cal is Cal. They do what they do. If you think Cal is going to ever turn control of the vision to medium frogs (athletic donors who fantasize they are big frogs) in a small pond (Cal sports) in a vast ocean (the University overall) whether I support that or not, you are crazy.

Cal only cares about basketball in the sense of what basketball can do for Cal. Bottom line. Neither our faculty nor potential candidates for our faculty care whether Cal succeeds in basketball, so lack of success does not hurt the quality of our faculty. Neither our students or our potential applicants care whether Cal succeeds in basketball, so lack of success does not hurt the quality of our student body. Net revenue does not appreciably rise with success, particularly with the risk that investing more money will not result in success, so lack of success does not substantially impact the bottom line in a way that hurts the university. Middle Aged wealthy alums have been completely apathetic about Cal sports so lack of success isn't stopping them from donating to the University.

The bottom line is that Cal revenue sports have never been the straw that stirs the drink at Cal, and that straw has become a toothpick over the years. The donations to Cal revenue sports are a pittance compared to anywhere that succeeds. Cal donors do not give enough to have the juice to make any major decisions in Cal revenue sports and their ideas over the years.

Hire Joe Pasternack is not a gameplan. I know exactly what it will take to achieve success. It will take a big donor or group of donors on the order of Phil Knight to walk into Christ's office and instead of saying "hire my friend" saying "what is it you need?" while simultaneously putting donations to the university in peril. It is the willingness to demand and pay for the hire of an expensive, proven athletic director who can manage a professional sports organization because that is what college revenue sports are. (given the many Cal alums with demonstrated significant success in sports management, it should not be hard if any of them actually thought the support was there to succeed) It is then the willingness to give that AD whatever money he needs to make good intelligent hires in every facet of the athletic department including coaching and to fund all the resources needed. Because Cal is not funding that. If we had anything remotely approaching that, the stadium would have been paid for before shovel hit dirt instead of saddling the athletic department and university with a mountain of debt. Hire my buddy and I'll throw some money in the NIL fund is not getting this done.

Cal and Cal donors are so far away from this reality it is laughable. This is not to blame the donors. I wouldn't give what it takes either, if I were them. It's just reality. Cal has failed for 60 years because the Cal community doesn't want it badly enough to provide the resources to make it happen. Which is fine. If Alabama wants it more, they should have it.

But if you think I, or anyone here, or everyone here has any impact on anything, you are kidding yourself. We can all march on Sproul and Cal will ask how much money we are willing to give. We are all just fans of the Chris Cohan Warriors hoping the hell we find Joe Lacob. That is your plan. Find your Joe Lacob and convince Cal that basketball is actually worth it to them. Otherwise you are just a bunch of Mean Girls deciding who gets to sit where in the cafeteria while we all enjoy today's helping of shyte on a shingle.
This is correct and a sobering measurement.

UC Berkeley for better or for worse is part of the big six (Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Oxford, Cambridge). They are universities sought after by the best and brightest students on the planet. Even if we serve the wider net of serving the students of California, the brightest students are not deeply invested in the environment of college sports and never will be.

It's not to say Cal still can't succeed in athletics, it's that they don't need to. It's far easier to be modest and hire a Wilcox or a Stan Johnson and do okay in sports rather than committing nine figures to practice facilities and top coaches who will likely get poached at some point anyway.

The day the program ceased to try competing at a high level was when the stadium renovation debt figures came in. Cal Athletics is losing money and will continue to lose money for the rest of our lives. At some point, if things don't rapidly change, a university admin is going to make the calculation that investing in top sports is outweighed by finding space to building housing for 10,000 more admits and new academic facilities to bring in research funding.

If Cal wants to succeed in athletics, they will need to somehow get into a major conference, plus find their Phil Knight to come about, and it'll need to be someone who carries enough levity to lift the university both academically and athletically. It's not going to be a Goldman or a Haas anymore who can carry our weight. We need to change the game rapidly.
Shocky1
got it bearly, u think ur irrelevant & would also like to believe that everyone else is also incapable of bringing about meaningful change, right?...and that 4th gen & me got gameplans for cal basketball that are flawed by our thirst for personal relationships with coaches and not a true unbiased love for the #1 ranked public university in the world

since ur on a roll with pontificating about things u got no direct knowledge of and/or expertise, what steps should capetown take in order to rebuild their water infrastructure with respects to the most recent water shortages?
BearGoggles
LessMilesMoreTedford said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Shocky1 said:

The bottom line is that Cal revenue sports have never been the straw that stirs the drink at Cal, and that straw has become a toothpick over the years. The donations to Cal revenue sports are a pittance compared to anywhere that succeeds. Cal donors do not give enough to have the juice to make any major decisions in Cal revenue sports and their ideas over the years.

If Cal wants to succeed in athletics, they will need to somehow get into a major conference, plus find their Phil Knight to come about, and it'll need to be someone who carries enough levity to lift the university both academically and athletically. It's not going to be a Goldman or a Haas anymore who can carry our weight. We need to change the game rapidly.
Given your take on the realities, how does getting into a major conference help Cal? I'm starting to wonder if it really does. Are we better off in a weakened Pac12 (with an increased chance of winning) vs. being the door mat of B1G? Look at the teams that are in the final 4 - none from the SEC and maybe one from a p5 conference (if Texas wins).

Maybe its easier to build a program as the big fish in a smaller pond? SDSU has to this point fit that model and seems to be doing pretty well - better than Cal for sure in terms of W-L in football and mens hoops.

BearlyCareAnymore
Shocky1 said:

got it bearly, u think ur irrelevant & would also like to believe that everyone else is also incapable of bringing about meaningful change, right?...and that 4th gen & me got gameplans for cal basketball that are flawed by our thirst for personal relationships with coaches and not a true unbiased love for the #1 ranked public university in the world

since ur on a roll with pontificating about things u got no direct knowledge of and/or expertise, what steps should capetown take in order to rebuild their water infrastructure with respects to the most recent water shortages?
If you had a true, unbiased love for Cal, you wouldn't leave at the drop of a hat every time someone doesn't suck up just right.

See, what you don't get is you don't get to have a plan. You think you are rich, but you ain't rich enough. You are what poor people think is rich. You can get floor seats. You can get tee times. You can get a bunch of sound and fury signifying nothing from some people to make you feel important, but the real secret, Shock, is you ain't. At Alabama, you wouldn't merit a call back or even a free beer. When push comes to shove, you are just sucking up slightly bigger crumbs than the rest of us, and it is days like this that make it clear to you what real wealth is and it ain't in the mirror. You sit there on a crystal clear day saying that Biff said that Elon told Tad that it was going to rain today, so you people just don't know that it is raining.

This isn't the first time you have whiffed on your super secret inside information and specifically on coaching searches. You'll just keep guessing who the next coach is going to be and when your fifth choice comes through, you'll say "see. I told you."

This isn't about my feelings toward Cal. Your issue is that I don't give YOU proper respect (well, in your eyes. I think I give you as much respect as you deserve).

I am irrelevant. So are you. The difference is I understand that. You think you are owed relevance you don't have.
CAL4LIFE
This guy seems rather enthusiastic!

Shocky1
bearly, u forget to mention that ive played the last 17 world top 100 golf course lists & can also do a headstand

Jeff82
BearGoggles said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Shocky1 said:

Given your take on the realities, how does getting into a major conference help Cal? I'm starting to wonder if it really does. Are we better off in a weakened Pac12 (with an increased chance of winning) vs. being the door mat of B1G? Look at the teams that are in the final 4 - none from the SEC and maybe one from a p5 conference (if Texas wins).

Maybe its easier to build a program as the big fish in a smaller pond? SDSU has to this point fit that model and seems to be doing pretty well - better than Cal for sure in terms of W-L in football and mens hoops.

This is correct for basketball. 68 of 363 schools get into the tournament, 18.7 percent, which means even the mid-majors have a shot, as this year shows. Football is different. Even with a 16-team playoff, only 12 percent of the 133 teams get in, and I expect there will be a huge bias in at large picks for Power 5 schools. To have football success, you need to be in a major conference, but not in basketball.
BearlyCareAnymore
Shocky1 said:

bearly, u forget to mention that ive played the last 17 world top 100 golf course lists & can also do a headstand

I am honored to be your distraction on yet another day of humiliation for you.
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CqQrntrM2ff
thx bearly
BearGoggles
Jeff82 said:

BearGoggles said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Shocky1 said:

This is correct for basketball. 68 of 363 schools get into the tournament, 18.7 percent, which means even the mid-majors have a shot, as this year shows. Football is different. Even with a 16-team playoff, only 12 percent of the 133 teams get in, and I expect there will be a huge bias in at large picks for Power 5 schools. To have football success, you need to be in a major conference, but not in basketball.

I think football playoff expansion is coming albeit not to 68 schools.

But in reality, there are 2 major football conferences - SEC and B1G - with the other three P5s clearly a step below (not to mention other conferences and ND). Yet every year at least one team from the other conferences makes the current playoffs - e.g., TCU this year. I think TCU had an easier path than an SEC or B1G school, which is my larger point.

I think the Pac12/10 teams are realizing they may be better off w/o UCLA or USC then joining a larger conference. For Cal, if we make the B1G (in a western pod), are we likely to win a football championship any time soon, if ever? I'd like Cal's chances better in the re-configured P12/10.

dimitrig
BearGoggles said:

Jeff82 said:

BearGoggles said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Shocky1 said:

But in reality, there are 2 major football conferences - SEC and B1G - with the other three P5s clearly a step below (not to mention other conferences and ND). Yet every year at least one team from the other conferences makes the current playoffs - e.g., TCU this year. I think TCU had an easier path than an SEC or B1G school, which is my larger point.

I think the Pac12/10 teams are realizing they may be better off w/o UCLA or USC then joining a larger conference. For Cal, if we make the B1G (in a western pod), are we likely to win a football championship any time soon, if ever? I'd like Cal's chances better in the re-configured P12/10.

I would agree with you if it was 10 years ago, but now we are in the NIL era and the kids making the big bucks are going to want the goodies that big time revenue brings in. Every time we find some good players they are going to get poached.

BearGoggles
dimitrig said:

BearGoggles said:

Jeff82 said:

BearGoggles said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Shocky1 said:

I would agree with you if it was 10 years ago, but now we are in the NIL era and the kids making the big bucks are going to want the goodies that big time revenue brings in. Every time we find some good players they are going to get poached.

Why? NIL dollars are donor dollars. If anything, NIL takes away the disparity of conference TV contract payments to the AD if (and its a big if) program donors are willing to spend on NIL.

Cal doesn't have to lose players to teams in larger conferences, but Cal needs to raise NIL $$. Sebastabear and others get that - the question is whether donors do.
calumnus
6956bear said:

Shocky1 said:

Intuit said:

That's a fantasy you are spreading 4rth Gen. It totally lacks credibility in lieu of the powerful public campaigning and visible leaks about support that was lined up to support his program.

It stretches creditability to think he just got his nose out of joint because the selection process dragged on and then went quiet. He didn't walk away from a multiyear 7figure contract and sign a low 6 figure contract because Cal was tardy getting back to him.

It seems he likely was not the first choice and he got out of contention to save face in Santa Barbara
intuit, ur a completely unreliable source & probably a bureaucrat within the cal athletic department

4th gen bear has bought 2 houses for cal football/basketball which houses are jaydn ott among other bears, a lotta the guys who have passed on the transfer portal are because of 4th gen bear

He is a great Golden Bear no question. And his support for the programs is terrific. But he clearly has a dog in this fight. He was all in on Pasternack. That is not a bad choice. I would have been fine with JP. But that does not mean he is the only choice that can succeed.

Before I pass total judgement on the choice, I want to see who gets selected. And I want to have a better understanding on the support that will be given.

We do know that there is growing support for AAR. But the long time donors were Pasternack supporters. They are likely to be upset. I get that and it could end badly. But I want to see the choice and the staff that choice can assemble along with who the major supporters of that choice are.

There is a lot of talk around west coast ties, Prolific Prep ties, Oakland Soldiers ties. They are important. But Jaylen Brown was not a west coast guy. Nor Shareef. Many of the players at Prolific are not west coast guys. Some are international guys.

I can understand the anger regarding Pasternack. Especially with Knowlton leading the search. But is AAR if he is chosen really such a bad hire?

Shareef and Jaylen were McDonald's All Americans from Georgia who could have gone to ANY program in the country, but chose Cal largely because we had African American coaches that could sell Cal's diversity and history of fighting for social Justice. If anything, social Justice issues are even more important to the current generation.

The future will also be driven by NIL and the transfer portal. Pasternack has ties to the Haas famiky and others, but Amir has ties to Jaylen Brown and Shareef.

Reports that Monty holds sway and is pushing Madsen and his son are troubling. He knows his Xs and Os, but was the anti-recruiter. I don't think Madsen is a great fit for Cal, I think it takes time to line up the donors to back him. At Cal he would be a bit like Troy Taylor at Stanford, good coach and good person at the wrong school with enthusiasm and success limited as a result.
dimitrig
BearGoggles said:

dimitrig said:

BearGoggles said:

Jeff82 said:

BearGoggles said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Shocky1 said:

Why? NIL dollars are donor dollars. If anything, NIL takes away the disparity of conference TV contract payments to the AD if (and its a big if) program donors are willing to spend on NIL.

Cal doesn't have to lose players to teams in larger conferences, but Cal needs to raise NIL $$. Sebastabear and others get that - the question is whether donors do.

Revenue is revenue. If donor dollars cover NIL then they don't cover something else like travel or meal expenses. The kids with the sponsors are going to get paid either way, but it is better to do it while traveling first class and eating lobster.

I am also not convinced there will be as many sponsorship opportunities in a conference that is an also-ran.

dimitrig
calumnus said:

6956bear said:

Shocky1 said:

Intuit said:

That's a fantasy you are spreading 4rth Gen. It totally lacks credibility in lieu of the powerful public campaigning and visible leaks about support that was lined up to support his program.

It stretches creditability to think he just got his nose out of joint because the selection process dragged on and then went quiet. He didn't walk away from a multiyear 7figure contract and sign a low 6 figure contract because Cal was tardy getting back to him.

It seems he likely was not the first choice and he got out of contention to save face in Santa Barbara
intuit, ur a completely unreliable source & probably a bureaucrat within the cal athletic department

4th gen bear has bought 2 houses for cal football/basketball which houses are jaydn ott among other bears, a lotta the guys who have passed on the transfer portal are because of 4th gen bear

He is a great Golden Bear no question. And his support for the programs is terrific. But he clearly has a dog in this fight. He was all in on Pasternack. That is not a bad choice. I would have been fine with JP. But that does not mean he is the only choice that can succeed.

Before I pass total judgement on the choice, I want to see who gets selected. And I want to have a better understanding on the support that will be given.

We do know that there is growing support for AAR. But the long time donors were Pasternack supporters. They are likely to be upset. I get that and it could end badly. But I want to see the choice and the staff that choice can assemble along with who the major supporters of that choice are.

There is a lot of talk around west coast ties, Prolific Prep ties, Oakland Soldiers ties. They are important. But Jaylen Brown was not a west coast guy. Nor Shareef. Many of the players at Prolific are not west coast guys. Some are international guys.

I can understand the anger regarding Pasternack. Especially with Knowlton leading the search. But is AAR if he is chosen really such a bad hire?

Shareef and Jaylen were McDonald's All Americans from Georgia who could have gone to ANY program in the country, but chose Cal largely because we had African American coaches that could sell Cal's diversity and history of fighting for social Justice. If anything, social Justice issues are even more important to the current generation.

The future will also be driven by NIL and the transfer portal. Pasternack has ties to the Haas famiky and others, but Amir has ties to Jaylen Brown and Shareef.

Reports that Monty holds sway and is pushing Madsen and his son are troubling. He knows his Xs and Os, but was the anti-recruiter. I don't think Madsen is a great fit for Cal, I think it takes time to line up the donors to back him. At Cal he would be a bit like Troy Taylor at Stanford, good coach and good person at the wrong school with enthusiasm and success limited as a result.

Madsen is intriguing because he brings NBA cred and he has won a COTY award as well. I would have liked to see success at a higher level but it is the sort of risky hire that could work out or blow up spectacularly like Jerod Haase.
parentswerebears
dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

6956bear said:

Shocky1 said:

Intuit said:

Madsen is intriguing because he brings NBA cred and he has won a COTY award as well. I would have liked to see success at a higher level but it is the sort of risky hire that could work out or blow up spectacularly like Jerod Haase.

Much more likely to be the latter than the former. This is Cal.
Pittstop
In some ways he is kind of like the Dennis Gates hire when Gates' only HC credit was Cleveland State when Mizzou hired him. No other P5 programs wanted to take a chance on hiring a HC with such a thin, non-P5 resume. And, it seems, Mizzou hit a home run. Maybe Madsen is our "Gates".
calumnus
Pittstop said:

In some ways he is kind of like the Dennis Gates hire when Gates' only HC credit was Cleveland State when Mizzou hired him. No other P5 programs wanted to take a chance on hiring a HC with such a thin, non-P5 resume. And, it seems, Mizzou hit a home run. Maybe Madsen is our "Gates".

But as a Cal alum, Gates would have been even bigger at Cal.
wc22
"Shareef and Jaylen were McDonald's All Americans from Georgia who could have gone to ANY program in the country, but chose Cal largely because we had African American coaches that could sell Cal's diversity and history of fighting for social Justice. "
Says Calumnus.

Did you ask them? How does your COVID likes and bull**** match up with this? I would love to know.

It is weird how Jaylen is only brought up when talking about how to manipulate teenagers, but 3/4 of this board disavows him the second he says anything. Literally anything. FREE SPEECH (for people who parrot SNL skits).
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

But as a Cal alum, Gates would have been even bigger at Cal.
Agree, Amir is the closer comparison
Econ141
It's been the view on this board that talent is worth more than coaching. You need both yes, but coaching only gets you to the second round of the tourney as Montgomery has already shown us.

We needed to get a guy who could recruit and take no nonsense from the admin to get you know what done. This was Pasternak.

Madsen as we all will surely find out, is just another coach who will do below average work because guess what?!? No freaking talented bball player wants to come to Cal. We needed a recruiter and we got an OK coach.

I really can't believe the donors who okay'd this. They must be in the "it is not just about wins and losses" camp.
dimitrig

Good article on Madsen.

"He's going to be a fantastic coach," says Ervin Johnson, his friend and former teammate. "The players will enjoy playing for him. There are going to be growing pains, but he's a guy who's going to always see the glass as full. If anybody can do it, he can."

https://www.deseret.com/2019/7/13/8936648/pixie-dust-and-basketball-mark-madsen-and-his-improbable-journey-from-the-nba-to-utah-valley

Econ141
dimitrig said:

Good article on Madsen.

"He's going to be a fantastic coach," says Ervin Johnson, his friend and former teammate. "The players will enjoy playing for him. There are going to be growing pains, but he's a guy who's going to always see the glass as full. If anybody can do it, he can."

https://www.deseret.com/2019/7/13/8936648/pixie-dust-and-basketball-mark-madsen-and-his-improbable-journey-from-the-nba-to-utah-valley

Oh there will be growing pains alright. He is going to coach a team that can't beat his current team. He will attract Utah state caliber athletes though so we will be a better 12th place team than we have been for the past 5-6 years.
dimitrig
Econ141 said:

dimitrig said:

Good article on Madsen.

Oh there will be growing pains alright. He is going to coach a team that can't beat his current team. He will attract Utah state caliber athletes though so we will be a better 12th place team than we have been for the past 5-6 years.

What makes you think he won't be able to recruit?

I am not saying he can, but I would think a lot of young guys might want to talk to a guy who can tell stories about Kobe and Kevin Garnett and their parents will want to hear about Phil Jackson and Jerry West. Plus he can sell the academic angle of Cal by talking about how his MBA achieved post NBA has been useful. I think he has a lot to work with if donors can come up with the NIL.
Pittstop
You know what. This is pretty much exactly what my thoughts were when I first read about the Madsen hire. But now, after watching some UVU games on YouTube, and reading opinions of him by former teammates and team officials, and anecdotes about his character and personality, and his interactions with and ability to relate to teammates and just people of all stripes, I'm not so sure about that now. I am a lot more bullish about him as a HC now than I was a few hours ago. And I think that he will be able to recruit fine.
Econ141
dimitrig said:

Econ141 said:

dimitrig said:

Good article on Madsen.

What makes you think he won't be able to recruit?

I am not saying he can, but I would think a lot of young guys might want to talk to a guy who can tell stories about Kobe and Kevin Garnett and their parents will want to hear about Phil Jackson and Jerry West. Plus he can sell the academic angle of Cal by talking about how his MBA achieved post NBA has been useful. I think he has a lot to work with if donors can come up with the NIL.

I hope you are right. My biggest concern with this hire has more to do with where we are at as a program. The path back to mere respectability is going to be a much longer road with Madsen then if we had a recruiter with connections (a la Pasternak), I feel. Madsen hasn't shown much recruiting chops at Utah valley nor has he blown the doors off there to warrant much excitement. So here he is now at a public school known for excessive bureaucracy and stupidity (in the athletics admin part at least) and he is going to have to navigate all of that.

Frankly, I hate that it is Montgomery pushing this because he's coming from an old school mentality and not realizing what was illegal then is not illegal now.

This has all the looks of a typiCally bad decision. Hope I am wrong - I was wrong about how fast they would fore Fox.
calumnus
wc22 said:

"Shareef and Jaylen were McDonald's All Americans from Georgia who could have gone to ANY program in the country, but chose Cal largely because we had African American coaches that could sell Cal's diversity and history of fighting for social Justice. "
Says Calumnus.

Did you ask them? How does your COVID likes and bull**** match up with this? I would love to know.

It is weird how Jaylen is only brought up when talking about how to manipulate teenagers, but 3/4 of this board disavows him the second he says anything. Literally anything. FREE SPEECH (for people who parrot SNL skits).

There have been many articles with quotes from both (for Shareef it was also Cal's world renowned Near Eastern Studies/Islamic Studies department). Jaylen has spoken on the importance of giving opportunities to African American coaches and spoke with Knowlton about the advantages that would give Cal.

I get that is not your politics and you wish it was not Berkeley, but unless you are a 17 year old McDonald's All American basketball player your opinion (and mine) doesn't really matter. There are other schools that are far more attractive to any right-wing conservative McDonald's All Americans. Cal's comparative advantage is with top players with progressive politics. It just is.

Or we can hire conservative Republicans like Knowlton and Fox and suffer the consequences of their poor fit.
bearsandgiants
If Madsen is the guy, there's nothing we can do about it but hope for the best. Maybe he will be a shocking surprise. The MBA is helpful, for sure. Gonna need to do a lot of business management in this new gig. If he's really all in and a turns into a true bear (not sure how that is possible but maybe) it would be fun to beat the furd with their own hero. Monty was right about his last recommendation that we passed on. Maybe he will be right here, too. I really worry about the NIL money thing, but if it's there, Madsen's probably as good as any at helping to facilitate it.

I do still have two thoughts. I'm thinking Pasternak wanted more money that we were willing to pay, and we ended up throwing just as much at Madsen, which would be a shame if true

Also, I wouldn't be surprised for Madsen to bail out of this at the last moment, unless it's already inked. Hoping it's already inked, if he's the guy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.