Pasternack signs extension at UCSB

13,979 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by concernedparent
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JimSox said:

Jake Curtis says there are reports AAR is not a serious candidate.
Did AAR travel to Berkeley to interview? I only read of him interviewing via Zoom.

BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

If this were Joe Pasternack's dream job, I'm having a hard time believing he would back out simply because of 1-2 days delay. That's not how it works.

This is a whole lot of saving face from those who insisted it was his dream job. 3 possibilities, 1. It never was his dream job (frankly most likely), 2. He was told he isn't getting the job (frankly, next most likely) or 3. It actually is his dream job and he is too big of an impatient baby to wait a couple days and we don't want the guy. (Frankly I find this extremely unlikely)

Honestly, my excitement has been waning on Pasternack as it has been clear there has been an agenda by some group to get him hired. I've seen a lot of agendas come and go at Cal, and by and large they've been stupid. (Artie Gigantino, anyone?)

I have zero confidence in Knowlton making this hire, but I have about .000000001% confidence in the group that have pulled the strings for 60 years.
Strykur
BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big C said:

If this were Joe Pasternack's dream job, I'm having a hard time believing he would back out simply because of 1-2 days delay. That's not how it works.
I have zero confidence in Knowlton making this hire, but I have about .000000001% confidence in the group that have pulled the strings for 60 years.
True but real talk: whoever takes this job, basically take the keys and we will check back in 3 years, I just want to see us take some steps out of the cellar and that may take a while.

Also, my top candidate is Amir but apparently the consensus here was Pasternack which over Amir I did not understand, can someone elaborate on that, other than being on staff previously?
calumnus
BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big C said:

This is a whole lot of saving face from those who insisted it was his dream job. 3 possibilities, 1. It never was his dream job (frankly most likely), 2. He was told he isn't getting the job (frankly, next most likely) or 3. It actually is his dream job and he is too big of an impatient baby to wait a couple days and we don't want the guy. (Frankly I find this extremely unlikely)

Honestly, my excitement has been waning on Pasternack as it has been clear there has been an agenda by some group to get him hired. I've seen a lot of agendas come and go at Cal, and by and large they've been stupid. (Artie Gigantino, anyone?)

So we both have infinite times more confidence in the traditional boosters than in Knowlton.

The people I would want deciding are basketball alums like Shareef, Marks, Brown, Randle, Buckley, et al but they want Amir Abdur-Rahim (if not Gates) and the talk from at least one insider here is he was "never a serious candidate."
ducky23
calumnus said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big C said:

So we both have infinite times more confidence in the traditional boosters than in Knowlton.

The people I would want deciding are basketball alums like Shareef, Marks, Brown, Randle, Buckley, et al but they want Amir Abdur-Rahim (if not Gates) and the talk from at least one insider here is he was "never a serious candidate."

Lol jake Curtis is not an "insider". He hasn't been a serious reporter since the 90s
Econ141
dimitrig said:

Fox was a dead man walking for a long time now.

They should have identified and ranked the candidates a long time ago.

Interviews should be almost a formality.

Sounds like JP wasn't the first choice. I hope that is because someone a lot better expressed interest but with JKer at the helm I have doubts.

JP absolutely was the first, no-brainer choice. No solid coach wants to takeover this sh$thole and rebuild it like JP would have. The fact that this is taking two weeks is indicative of Knowlton not doing any planning throughout the season on a successor. He felt the heat at the end and got rid of Fox with no plan.

Cal is a moronic institution - time and time again we are the laughing stock of college athletics. Thanks again Cal.
BearlyCareAnymore
Strykur said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big C said:

True but real talk: whoever takes this job, basically take the keys and we will check back in 3 years, I just want to see us take some steps out of the cellar and that may take a while.

Also, my top candidate is Amir but apparently the consensus here was Pasternack which over Amir I did not understand, can someone elaborate on that, other than being on staff previously?

That consensus was built with a lot of pie in the sky promises made by some here with zero evidence that went far beyond his coaching record. I think his record and experience at Cal made him a solid candidate. The idea that somehow he was Santa Claus and was going to unlock all these awesome things due to his unbelievable awesomeness was frankly his friends pumping him up. Not the first time this has happened. I have been in the "nothing much is going to change" camp this whole time, but frankly what you are seeing is not the calamity of missing out on our dream coach, but just the hostilities between different Cal factions with competing agendas breaking into the open. But the real secret is these competing agendas are ever present and are just as responsible for the situation we are in as are the incompetent administrators who they enable with their infighting. Knowlton is abysmal but he can only be held responsible for 5 years.

The only good hire we have had in revenue sports is when a chancellor went rogue, ignored the results of the search committee for the AD position and ignored the candidates pushed at him by the usual suspects, made a bizarre hire based on his gut, and that AD ignored all the candidates thrown at him by the usual suspects, and made an intelligent hire based on his own process, including input from his most trusted coaches.
BearlyCareAnymore
ducky23 said:

calumnus said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big C said:

Lol jake Curtis is not an "insider". He hasn't been a serious reporter since the 90s

Curtis was an excellent reporter in his day, but that day is long passed. I'm sure those "reports" are the same ones we've already seen that have been largely debunked. He's just belatedly rehashing the same reports from social media.
JimSox
BearlyCareAnymore said:

ducky23 said:

calumnus said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big C said:

Curtis was an excellent reporter in his day, but that day is long passed. I'm sure those "reports" are the same ones we've already seen that have been largely debunked. He's just belatedly rehashing the same reports from social media.

Well he said there are reports AAR is not a serious candidate. So he wasn't claiming to have insider knowledge himself. But what are these "reports"? And from whom do they come? I don't think I heard that anywhere before tonight.
CaliforniaEternal
Anybody that has any optimism in a hiring process led by JK is a complete fool. Until some surprise name is hired, I will expect some no name loser coach in the mold of the previous two hires.
sosheezy
JimSox said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

ducky23 said:

calumnus said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big C said:

Well he said there are reports AAR is not a serious candidate. So he wasn't claiming to have insider knowledge himself. But what are these "reports"? And from whom do they come? I don't think I heard that anywhere before tonight.

Only "reports" are this tweet
BearlyCareAnymore
sosheezy said:

JimSox said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

ducky23 said:

calumnus said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big C said:

I think it is pretty clear this is what Curtis is referring to
JimSox
sosheezy said:

JimSox said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

ducky23 said:

calumnus said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Big C said:

Aha. Thanks. I do remember seeing that, now that you mention it. It's a passive voice thing. Not considered a serious candidate. By whom? And who says so? There's no way to tell whether this is credible information.
6956bear
Shocky1 said:

Intuit said:

That's a fantasy you are spreading 4rth Gen. It totally lacks credibility in lieu of the powerful public campaigning and visible leaks about support that was lined up to support his program.

It stretches creditability to think he just got his nose out of joint because the selection process dragged on and then went quiet. He didn't walk away from a multiyear 7figure contract and sign a low 6 figure contract because Cal was tardy getting back to him.

It seems he likely was not the first choice and he got out of contention to save face in Santa Barbara
intuit, ur a completely unreliable source & probably a bureaucrat within the cal athletic department

4th gen bear has bought 2 houses for cal football/basketball which houses are jaydn ott among other bears, a lotta the guys who have passed on the transfer portal are because of 4th gen bear

He is a great Golden Bear no question. And his support for the programs is terrific. But he clearly has a dog in this fight. He was all in on Pasternack. That is not a bad choice. I would have been fine with JP. But that does not mean he is the only choice that can succeed.

Before I pass total judgement on the choice, I want to see who gets selected. And I want to have a better understanding on the support that will be given.

We do know that there is growing support for AAR. But the long time donors were Pasternack supporters. They are likely to be upset. I get that and it could end badly. But I want to see the choice and the staff that choice can assemble along with who the major supporters of that choice are.

There is a lot of talk around west coast ties, Prolific Prep ties, Oakland Soldiers ties. They are important. But Jaylen Brown was not a west coast guy. Nor Shareef. Many of the players at Prolific are not west coast guys. Some are international guys.

I can understand the anger regarding Pasternack. Especially with Knowlton leading the search. But is AAR if he is chosen really such a bad hire?
Civil Bear
Strykur said:

Multiple winning seasons vs. one winning season?
Civil Bear
HKBear97! said:

4thGenCal said:

GoCal80 said:

Perhaps JP agreed to the extension at UCSB after learning he was not getting the Cal offer, which could mean we've found our coach.
Nope - JP didn't want to get strung out, felt he had a clear decisive interview with a successful plan in place. Yet JK and his internal person in the dept who sat in, did not get back to Him as the past couple of days went by. To be clear, this was a blown opportunity. My guess is Stan Johnson gets it(don't know just a guess) as there is pressure to hire a Black coach. And if that coach is the best candidate, excellent. Disappointing that JK once again has dropped the ball.

Wow. Can't make this stuff up!
LOL, sure we can.
Civil Bear
Shocky1 said:

Intuit said:

That's a fantasy you are spreading 4rth Gen. It totally lacks credibility in lieu of the powerful public campaigning and visible leaks about support that was lined up to support his program.

It stretches creditability to think he just got his nose out of joint because the selection process dragged on and then went quiet. He didn't walk away from a multiyear 7figure contract and sign a low 6 figure contract because Cal was tardy getting back to him.

It seems he likely was not the first choice and he got out of contention to save face in Santa Barbara
intuit, ur a completely unreliable source & probably a bureaucrat within the cal athletic department

4th gen bear has bought 2 houses for cal football/basketball which houses are jaydn ott among other bears, a lotta the guys who have passed on the transfer portal are because of 4th gen bear

Dream job, but unwilling to wait 48 hours for a decision? Ok.
CAL4LIFE
If only script Constanza would do the opposite like George.

Ccajon2
Big C said:

Curious. Who originally said this was JPs dream job? Was it really?
Civil Bear
Ccajon2 said:

Big C said:

The person who rates the competency of coaches by whether or not they are willing to give him the time of day.
dan1997
Ccajon2 said:

Big C said:

I think at one point it was his dream job, but that ship sailed. He originally had visions of this being the same Cal from when he worked for Braun but realized it's not. The department is a train wreck and he knows this. Not to mention the position where the basketball program is at.
BearlyCareAnymore
Civil Bear said:

Ccajon2 said:

Big C said:

The person who rates the competency of coaches by whether or not they are willing to give him the time of day.

While I think JP was a reasonable candidate, it had become clear that the clamor was more about personal ties to the people making the noise. Pretty much every time you see this in our coaching searches, it is always about some candidate they are connected to, not some candidate who is inherently great. Often, the candidates are ludicrous.

When Tedford was hired a strong faction pushed for Snyder, and there were other factions pushing for others. Gladstone rather deftly treated that with respect but made it clear that wasn't how the decision would be made.

Frankly, these factions are not the people whose input are going to lead to the best decision. If some of the more knowledgeable former players, coaches, and alums in the BASKETBALL business input and align on a decision, that is about as good as Cal is ever going to do with this process. I am not especially confident that will happen, nor am I especially confident that no matter how good the hire, Cal is going to do what it takes to turn things around. But I'm not crying over a particular candidate not getting the job.

I find it hilarious that people do not understand that coaches say "dream job" all the time to whomever will listen just like recruits throw around effusive praise to like a million schools. Instead of accepting that they misread that situation and that people don't pass up dream jobs because the employer takes an entirely reasonable couple days to make a huge decision, they buy a completely implausible story. Of course it is just as much in JP's interest to now say that he woulda taken it, because why not keep these people in his pocket in case next time he might be in a position where Cal is his best option and having embarrassed his patrons this time wouldn't have played so well the next.
BearlyCareAnymore
dan1997 said:

Ccajon2 said:

Big C said:

I think at one point it was his dream job, but that ship sailed. He originally had visions of this being the same Cal from when he worked for Braun but realized it's not. The department is a train wreck and he knows this. Not to mention the position where the basketball program is at.

Exactly what some of us were saying. I'm sure he has fondness for his time here, but he wasn't going to take a job that he didn't think was best for his present and future based on nostalgia. As I said, I think he has confidence that this will not be the last high major offer he gets. He is still young and risking saddling himself with a losing record that will cripple the rest of his career because he chose the wrong program makes no sense.
4thGenCal
Civil Bear said:

Shocky1 said:

Intuit said:

I will make a final attempt at explaining why JP pulled out and its coming from direct understanding - The process started 9 days ago (not a 2 day wait and "impatience). Its a combination of factors which led to JP pulling out. 1) He felt enough time had passed if He was the one to be chosen 2) He felt there was a couple of inside influences anti him and they could be influencing JK 3) He felt JK was a lame duck 4) His current AD was all over him with love - literally made sure He was on the plane with team after final loss thus no interviewing destination plane flight elsewhere, also took the time to meet with his Mom at the hotel, She set up an meeting with the Chancellor,Herself and JP right after returning - then presented a highly improved package. 4)JP was also courted very hard along with boosters. 5) He compared a great situation living wise for his family and a solid program-to a complete rebuild and frankly a huge mess at Cal, that He then doubted that the timing for Him was right. It was his true dream job. (because family from Peninsula, past fond working experience, great relationships built amongst - agents, boosters, key programs locally, Power 5 HC and He is a West Coast guy) but after how the interview process went, all that He heard from knowledgeable people about the reality of the mess, the improved offer and sincere desire and persistence from His Bosses to keep him, He got cold feet.
People who dismiss West coast ties and point to the very occasional recruit from across the country (one and done types) don't understand the value recruiting wise of having trust and loyalty built up from Oakland Soldiers/PP programs, past local players and key agents as well. Those people influence the better recruits to choose a particular program. While disappointed personally - I am keeping an open mind that the new HC will bring his particular set of strengths needed to climb out of a very deep hole.
ncbears
BearlyCareAnymore said:

dan1997 said:

Ccajon2 said:

Big C said:

Exactly what some of us were saying. I'm sure he has fondness for his time here, but he wasn't going to take a job that he didn't think was best for his present and future based on nostalgia. As I said, I think he has confidence that this will not be the last high major offer he gets. He is still young and risking saddling himself with a losing record that will cripple the rest of his career because he chose the wrong program makes no sense.
Exactly, JP could have realized that his "dream job" was actually a different kind of dream - a nightmare.
ncbears
4thGenCal said:

Civil Bear said:

Shocky1 said:

Intuit said:

I will make a final attempt at explaining why JP pulled out and its coming from direct understanding - The process started 9 days ago (not a 2 day wait and "impatience). Its a combination of factors which led to JP pulling out. 1) He felt enough time had passed if He was the one to be chosen 2) He felt there was a couple of inside influences anti him and they could be influencing JK 3) He felt JK was a lame duck 4) His current AD was all over him with love - literally made sure He was on the plane with team after final loss thus no interviewing destination plane flight elsewhere, also took the time to meet with his Mom at the hotel, She set up an meeting with the Chancellor,Herself and JP right after returning - then presented a highly improved package. 4)JP was also courted very hard along with boosters. 5) He compared a great situation living wise for his family and a solid program-to a complete rebuild and frankly a huge mess at Cal, that He then doubted that the timing for Him was right. It was his true dream job. (because family from Peninsula, past fond working experience, great relationships built amongst - agents, boosters, key programs locally, Power 5 HC and He is a West Coast guy) but after how the interview process went, all that He heard from knowledgeable people about the reality of the mess, the improved offer and sincere desire and persistence from His Bosses to keep him, He got cold feet.
People who dismiss West coast ties and point to the very occasional recruit from across the country (one and done types) don't understand the value recruiting wise of having trust and loyalty built up from Oakland Soldiers/PP programs, past local players and key agents as well. Those people influence the better recruits to choose a particular program. While disappointed personally - I am keeping an open mind that the new HC will bring his particular set of strengths needed to climb out of a very deep hole.
4thGenCal - that makes more sense.
Civil Bear
4thGenCal said:

Civil Bear said:

Shocky1 said:

Intuit said:

So it was his dream job at one time, but not under its current mess. That is understandable. I just don't buy its no longer his dream job because Cal was considering other candidates.
Bobodeluxe
Civil Bear said:

4thGenCal said:

Civil Bear said:

Shocky1 said:

Intuit said:

So it was his dream job at one time, but not under its current mess. That is understandable. I just don't by its no longer his dream job because Cal was considering other candidates.
So, will HIS backers now build the practice facility down there?

lol

Laundry
bluehenbear
Anybody who would want Knowlton as a boss is probably not someone who we would want as a coach.
Shocky1
bearly, don't expect u to understand this, but ur part of the problem with respects to the tanking of the cal basketball program with ur remarkably consistent misinformed takes re: what it's gonna take for the mbb program to achieve success & also the motives of those with a much clearer vision of the necessary gameplan

Econ141
Laughingstock:

BearlyCareAnymore
4thGenCal said:

Civil Bear said:

Shocky1 said:

Intuit said:

So in other words, when others (pretty much based on your reports) indicated he would definitely take the job I specifically questioned the truism that he definitely wanted the job, and I argued that we had to beat out his current situation at UCSB, what they would undoubtedly offer him to stay, what others might offer him, and what he might think he could get in a year or two somewhere else if he stayed pat right now, and I said don't count your chickens, and you said:

Quote:

100% Joe Pasternack wants the Cal job - He is focused (where He should be) on preparing His team for the Tournament right now and UCSB Administration, is also trying to extend Him on much better terms. Your premise most certainly is true the majority of the time - However in this specific situation - JP does want the job and He is extremely aware of the challenges involved to turn around the program.
That would be what?

In other words, he had a vague notion that it would be great to coach at Cal again and then when he looked at the actual task at hand, AS I SAID HE WOULD DO, he didn't 100% want the Cal job.

Of course UCSB was going to pull out all the stops as I said. Cal offers two things that UCSB can't. A lot more money and the chance to compete in a high major conference. On the other had, UCSB offers him a good current situation, a program he has already developed, and the worst case scenario that he never moves up to high major status but has a 20-25 year coaching career where he is respected and makes good money. See the problem is that if he crashes and burns at Cal through no fault of his own, he may never get that back and he may actually be financially worse off for taking a big pay day for a few years. This is what I laid out as the counter to 100% he wants the job. Frankly, I think he would have been stupid to take it.

This is not about it taking a couple days too long. It is that when he actually got serious and looked at the job he realized his current situation and potential future offers that could come were better than this one.That was always a big risk in this process, which is all that any of us were saying when we were met with the inevitable, big timing, "you just aren't in the know", commentary. This result was entirely predictable.
Shocky1
another 100% inaccurate take from bearly with no knowledge of the situation or joe pasternack's thought process

reading ur stuff is kinda listening to an illiterate person discuss a gameplan to teach reading in schools

the streak continues#
BearGoggles
Shocky1 said:

another 100% inaccurate take from bearly with no knowledge of the situation or joe pasternack's thought process

reading ur stuff is kinda listening to an illiterate person discuss a gameplan to teach reading in schools

the streak continues#
What day did JP interview with Cal?
dan1997
BearGoggles said:

Shocky1 said:

the streak continues#
What day did JP interview with Cal?
Second interview was in person on Thursday, first was Zoom last Sunday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.