Where Should Mark Madsen Live?

11,435 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by calumnus
75bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This post is half jest, yet half not. Where a coach chooses to live says a lot about him and his cultural imprint on the program.

Will Mark choose to live nearby (Piedmont?) so he can be at the practice facility as much as possible? Will Mark choose to set up shop through the tunnel in Lamorinda? Or does he go back to his roots in the farther East Bay (Danville/Alamo/Blackhawk), where the commute will be more intense and longer?

Cuonzo went the close/Piedmont route, while Tedford went the far/Danville route.

Now that the coaching decision has been made, we need to move on to these more important subject matters.

Big C

Is the Chancellor actually living in the Chancellor's house?
Oski87
No
75bear
Big C said:

Bruh, I've been playing checkers while you've been playing chess.
Pittstop
Tedford lived in Danville, didn't he?
Big C
75bear said:

Big C said:

Bruh, I've been playing checkers while you've been playing chess.

Two heads are better than one, and Oski87 makes three. Let's help him with a move-in party after the baby is born!
75bear
Pittstop said:

Yep
Eastern Oregon Bear
Pittstop said:

I thought Tedford often slept in his office and didn't go home at night, thus developing health issues and burnout.
calumnus
Madsen grew up in Danville. He has a growing family. I will be somewhat surprised if he does not buy a big house with a big backyard in Danville, maybe Blackhawk, near the LDS church on Sycamore Valley Road. That said, his parents moved to Provo 15 years ago and there are churches in Berkeley and Lafayette, so he could surprise me and choose to live closer.
stu
There are some great homes around the Claremont Hotel. Those to the north and west are close enough to walk (or run) to Haas. More nice areas in Berkeley north of Cedar and east of Oxford.

In Oakland Broadway Terrace and north are nice and quite close. There's a tiny golf course up there as well.

Of course there's a huge LDS Temple on Lincoln Ave near Hwy 13 in Oakland, another nice area with Montclair Village and Joaquin Miller Park nearby..
calumnus
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Pittstop said:

I thought Tedford often slept in his office and didn't go home at night, thus developing health issues and burnout.

Just during the season. September, October and November essentially.
Pittstop
Or the Oakland Hills (East Oskland, above the Laurel/Montclair districts), where there is a huge, shining Mormon church campus on the hill, overlooking the city, the bay, and as far west as the eye can see.
CALiforniALUM
What if he chooses to live in Palo Alto? (I jest)

calumnus
Pittstop said:

Or the Oakland Hills (East Oskland, above the Laurel/Montclair districts), where there is a huge, shining Mormon church campus on the hill, overlooking the city, the bay, and as far west as the eye can see.

I think his going back to Danville makes sense, but it would have been a slam dunk if his parents and siblings hadn't moved to Provo.

His wife is from Orem, Utah. He met her at a party at his parents' house in Provo. She was his sister's kid's piano teacher. In L.A. they made a point to live near, and attend, the huge temple in West L.A. which gave them an instant community. So they almost certainly live near a temple again, other than that I think it depends on what she wants. Just because she is from Orem does not mean she wouldn't like something more cosmopolitan. But with a growing family I think a big house with a big backyard in Danville near the temple he grew up going to is very likely.
Anarchistbear
East Palo Alto
OdontoBear66
So being a peninsula guy all my life (Menlo Park, Los Gatos) what is the pecking order east of the Caldecott Tunnel. For the peninsula I would go Atherton, Woodside, Hillsborough, Los Altos Hills, Palo Alto, Los Altos, Menlo Park.

My guess would be Alamo, Orinda, Moraga, Danville, Lafayette. But then I read things about the academics at some of the public schools being better that turns my table.
Bobodeluxe
Anarchistbear said:

East Palo Alto
Tedford had a hoops court in his yard, so will the Mad Dog clan have a football field at home? Have to buy out a block to have room. And then the displacement/gentrification issue.
eastcoastcal
Unit 3
Bobodeluxe
eastcoastcal said:

Unit 3
Penthouse.
75bear
OdontoBear66 said:

So being a peninsula guy all my life (Menlo Park, Los Gatos) what is the pecking order east of the Caldecott Tunnel. For the peninsula I would go Atherton, Woodside, Hillsborough, Los Altos Hills, Palo Alto, Los Altos, Menlo Park.

My guess would be Alamo, Orinda, Moraga, Danville, Lafayette. But then I read things about the academics at some of the public schools being better that turns my table.
The pecking order is entirely subjective. Some people would rather poke their eyes out than move through the Caldecott. Some people value living in a diverse environment, some don't. Nobody will have the exact same order on their list. Which is why I am somewhat curious where MM decides to set up shop.
bipolarbear
When you have 4 kids schools are the thing. Piedmont has excellent public schools (if you are thinking public schools) and really not that far from the big Temple on Lincoln in Oakland. Also there is a great private prep school, Head-Royce, K-12, on Lincoln just below the Temple, if they like private schools. Close commute to campus too. But a whole different vibe than Danville, if that's what you like.
maxer
He grew up in Danville, I'd be shocked if he didn't live there or close by (San Ramon).
joe amos yaks
A quiet family neighborhood a short distance to the UC campus where they can walk to the store and be close to an LDS Ward community.

Likely:
Orinda-Lafayette
Uplands and east Claremont Berkeley/Oakland
North Berkeley
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
BearoutEast67
Does TopDog have an unused second floor?
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
Oakbear
he should just buy people's park and build the basketball facility with a big owner's unit as a penthouse LOL
dimitrig

Cloyne Court Hotel

75bear
dimitrig said:

Cloyne Court Hotel

I spent three years living there - they were three of the most epic years of my life!
stu
Shaq won't let him live in a van.
wifeisafurd
Piedmont, he can carpool on BART with Wilcox.
maxer
wifeisafurd said:

Piedmont, he can carpool on BART with Wilcox.
Uhh... where is it that you think Piedmont is?
SBGold
No Bart in Piedmont hoss
maxer
SBGold said:

No Bart in Piedmont hoss
Yes I live there -- that was my point.
Polodad
Piedmont…15 minutes by surface street door to parking space.
bearister

*Brings back best slow dance memories ever.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
socaltownie
bipolarbear said:

When you have 4 kids schools are the thing. Piedmont has excellent public schools (if you are thinking public schools) and really not that far from the big Temple on Lincoln in Oakland. Also there is a great private prep school, Head-Royce, K-12, on Lincoln just below the Temple, if they like private schools. Close commute to campus too. But a whole different vibe than Danville, if that's what you like.
QUick note - it is my understanding that far more important than the temple (which is used just for special ceremonies during one's lifetime) far more important are the Wards in the LDS.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.