Where Should Mark Madsen Live?

11,497 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by calumnus
Vandalus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bobodeluxe said:

Anarchistbear said:

East Palo Alto
Tedford had a hoops court in his yard, so will the Mad Dog clan have a football field at home? Have to buy out a block to have room. And then the displacement/gentrification issue.

It was a half court, with a Cal script. Also had a nice game room, with a custom Cal shuffleboard table (the three points were designated by 1, 2, and 3 mini cal football helmets).
~Spectemur agendo~
79 Bear
OdontoBear66 said:

So being a peninsula guy all my life (Menlo Park, Los Gatos) what is the pecking order east of the Caldecott Tunnel. For the peninsula I would go Atherton, Woodside, Hillsborough, Los Altos Hills, Palo Alto, Los Altos, Menlo Park.

My guess would be Alamo, Orinda, Moraga, Danville, Lafayette. But then I read things about the academics at some of the public schools being better that turns my table.

Speaking of peninsula, don't sleep on San Carlos. Nice family town.
bipolarbear
79 Bear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

So being a peninsula guy all my life (Menlo Park, Los Gatos) what is the pecking order east of the Caldecott Tunnel. For the peninsula I would go Atherton, Woodside, Hillsborough, Los Altos Hills, Palo Alto, Los Altos, Menlo Park.

My guess would be Alamo, Orinda, Moraga, Danville, Lafayette. But then I read things about the academics at some of the public schools being better that turns my table.

That commute is too far from Berkeley. A nightmare commute which would result in the need for an apartment nearer campus or the unfortunate Tedford scenario of sleeping and eating in your office. Not good for a man with 4 little kids.
maxer
bipolarbear said:

79 Bear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

That commute is too far from Berkeley. A nightmare commute which would result in the need for an apartment nearer campus or the unfortunate Tedford scenario of sleeping and eating in your office. Not good for a man with 4 little kids.

I'd guess an average of about an hour and 15 minutes each way.
stu
Way too close to Stanford.
maxer
OdontoBear66 said:

It depends on what you want -- all of them have really good schools.

Alamo is really big houses (and Danville too) but is much further away.

Alamo and Danville also have more fancy gated communities like Blackhawk.

Like everything, it's personal preference.

Again, he's from Danville and I would be pretty surprised if he doesn't live there.
OdontoBear66
79 Bear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Like San Carlos, but from my years on the peninsula and having good friends and relatives north of Redwood City, it would be the cutoff for me. Great town as is Burlingame and Hillsborough, but wind and fog start becoming a factor.

Carlmont was one of our big rivals in BB back in the day. Sequoia, brass knuckles tough. They chose off the entire SPAL at Flood Park in Menlo Park and we wusses backed off.
79 Bear
stu said:

Way too close to Stanford.
You're right, plus commute too far as stated above. Just plugging my home town.

I think the Danville, Alamo area would be very good. It's 20 miles away, which is not ideal but not bad either.
OdontoBear66
maxer said:

OdontoBear66 said:

It depends on what you want -- all of them have really good schools.

Alamo is really big houses (and Danville too) but is much further away.

Alamo and Danville also have more fancy gated communities like Blackhawk.

Like everything, it's personal preference.

Again, he's from Danville and I would be pretty surprised if he doesn't live there.
Have friends in all of those areas, and the charm of the road going out to St Marys from the freeway looks pretty nice to me. Then I see MBs hiking trails in that area and that is a plus. Big house not important. Small but 5*.
79 Bear
OdontoBear66 said:

79 Bear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Like San Carlos, but from my years on the peninsula and having good friends and relatives north of Redwood City, it would be the cutoff for me. Great town as is Burlingame and Hillsborough, but wind and fog start becoming a factor.

Wind and fog is more prevalent in the Burlingame and Hillsborough area. San Carlos has great weather. Remember the old slogan from the 1960's for Redwood City, which is the next town to the south: "Climate best by government test."
Rtkbear
I'm guessing that proximity will play a big role. The commute between Berkeley and Danville takes more time than you would think (I commute between Oakland and San Ramon so I have first hand experience). Because he has young kids, he probably doesn't want to be too far away. So my guess is Piedmont, Orinda or Layaette.
bipolarbear
maxer said:

bipolarbear said:

79 Bear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

I'd guess an average of about an hour and 15 minutes each way.
On a good day.
Big C

Madsen seems to be really trying to ingratiate himself to Cal fans (in a sincere, not phony way). Imagine if he gets a house in North Berkeley...
smh
/* Where Should Mark Madsen Live? */
where ever floats family boats.. [ day old link / new to me / booth bait ]
OdontoBear66
smh said:

/* Where Should Mark Madsen Live? */
where ever floats family boats.. [ day old link / new to me / booth bait ]

Were he still at 'furd, I am sure it would. But with this opportunity I think he would drape himself in Cal gear.
Bobodeluxe
Big C said:

Madsen seems to be really trying to ingratiate himself to Cal fans (in a sincere, not phony way). Imagine if he gets a house in North Berkeley...
Walking distance. Great IF Orthodox…
Bobodeluxe
Bobodeluxe said:

Big C said:

Walking distance. Great IF Orthodox…
Gotch ya. April 1

Several choices near campus.
maxer
Rtkbear said:

I'm guessing that proximity will play a big role. The commute between Berkeley and Danville takes more time than you would think (I commute between Oakland and San Ramon so I have first hand experience). Because he has young kids, he probably doesn't want to be too far away. So my guess is Piedmont, Orinda or Layaette.
We'd love to have him in Piedmont -- there are about 3 houses for sale with 4 bedrooms or more, so hopefully he likes one of them!
graguna
maxer said:

Rtkbear said:

We'd love to have him in Piedmont -- there are about 3 houses for sale with 4 bedrooms or more, so hopefully he likes one of them!
Piedmont is a perfect spot for his family.
close, safe, great schools
would love to see his kids grow up playing basketball at Piedmont Rec
Rtkbear
I miss the winter basketball Rec games. My kids were horrible but it was still fun because it was super low key and everyone got to play.
WalterSobchak
Stonegate
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
75bear
Rtkbear said:

I miss the winter basketball Rec games. My kids were horrible but it was still fun because it was super low key and everyone got to play.
My kid played in those, couldn't even hit the rim, yet had a blast!
dmh65
Here's a nice and affordable place for him:
https://www.grubbco.com/homes-for-sale/CA/piedmont/94611/32-bellevue-ave/bid-79-41018974
stu
Looks big enough for the team and a practice facility as well.
75bear
Maybe this will be one of the questions at the press conference.
OdontoBear66
Obviously his choice, but from his description of his deep involvement with the coaching, and his love of family, I suspect he should pick so place of his choosing close to campus that will also satisfy the needs of his wife and family.
BearsWiin
Interestingly, in 2000 or so I ran into him wandering the streets of Westwood looking at the neighborhood. I stopped him and introduced myself as a Cal grad, and he told me that he was looking for a place to live while playing for the Lakers - he couldn't decide whether to live in El Segundo near the Lakers training facility or find someplace near UCLA so he could use their facilities. So we talked housing for a bit and went our separate ways. A few weeks later I saw him on the street again as I was filling my car with gas; I waved to him while wearing my Cal sweatshirt and cap, and he walked up and shook my hand and said "Oh hey, you're the Cal guy..."

Long story short, if you run into him on the street, he'll be cool if you give him helpful housing advice.
Civil Bear
BearsWiin said:

Interestingly, in 2000 or so I ran into him wandering the streets of Westwood looking at the neighborhood. I stopped him and introduced myself as a Cal grad, and he told me that he was looking for a place to live while playing for the Lakers - he couldn't decide whether to live in El Segundo near the Lakers training facility or find someplace near UCLA so he could use their facilities. So we talked housing for a bit and went our separate ways. A few weeks later I saw him on the street again as I was filling my car with gas; I waved to him while wearing my Cal sweatshirt and cap, and he walked up and shook my hand and said "Oh hey, you're the Cal guy..."

Long story short, if you run into him on the street, he'll be cool if you give him helpful housing advice.
Ha, thank you for the morning chuckle.
75bear
BearsWiin said:

That's a great anecdote, thanks for sharing
Cal Strong!
75bear said:

BearsWiin said:

That's a great anecdote, thanks for sharing
Cal Strong have no beef with BearsWiin. It definitely an anecdote worth mentioning.

But Cal an institution strongly bucking tide of grade inflation. So let's be real and strong 75bear . . . it no a "great" anecdote. It just okay.
79 Bear
Have to disagree Cal Strong. Maybe not a "great" anecdote, but better than "okay." Gave me a chuckle and a further, encouraging glimpse into our new Head Men's Basketball Coach, who seems to be a very personable and dynamic individual with a good, strong memory and mental attitude.
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong respect all strong bears involved.

But let's review the breakdown thus far on this very important topic:

BearsWiin: Submitted Anecdote Assignment. BearsWiin shared an anecdote. It neither strong nor weak.

75bear: Graded BearsWiin's anecdote as "great." This consistent with a stanfurd grading scale.

79 Bear: Graded it better than just okay. Based his grade on his chuckle and Madsen remembering a face/institution from a week earlier when prompted by both a sweatshirt and a hat. And that incident occurred about 23 years ago. This not strong basis for upping Cal Strong's grade. 79 Bear's grading more consistent with Arizona grading scale. Definitely stronger than stanfurd, but not particularly strong.

Cal Strong: Anecdote produce slight smile. Not a laugh. No teeth in smile. Just slight grin. It okay. This grade consistent with the way Cal grades anecdotes and other assignments.

BeachedBear
So far, so good with the Mark Madsen era, so based on what I've seen, I think MM should live at . . .

Mount Rushmore!!!
KoreAmBear
dmh65 said:

Here's a nice and affordable place for him:
https://www.grubbco.com/homes-for-sale/CA/piedmont/94611/32-bellevue-ave/bid-79-41018974

Wilcox can afford it.
OskiDeLaHoya
75bear said:

This post is half jest, yet half not. Where a coach chooses to live says a lot about him and his cultural imprint on the program.

Will Mark choose to live nearby (Piedmont?) so he can be at the practice facility as much as possible? Will Mark choose to set up shop through the tunnel in Lamorinda? Or does he go back to his roots in the farther East Bay (Danville/Alamo/Blackhawk), where the commute will be more intense and longer?

Cuonzo went the close/Piedmont route, while Tedford went the far/Danville route.

Now that the coaching decision has been made, we need to move on to these more important subject matters.

I heard Ben Braun the other day on Sirius Pac-12 radio say that he still lives in Berkeley and absolutely loves it. Even has a kid in Berkeley High.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.