Where Should Mark Madsen Live?

11,403 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by calumnus
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My understanding is Temples are used for weddings and other special events, not regular church. My hunch is quality of schools, a church that's demographically a fit and the quality of life for their kids will be what matters, not the nearest Temple
maxer
OskiDeLaHoya said:

75bear said:

This post is half jest, yet half not. Where a coach chooses to live says a lot about him and his cultural imprint on the program.

Will Mark choose to live nearby (Piedmont?) so he can be at the practice facility as much as possible? Will Mark choose to set up shop through the tunnel in Lamorinda? Or does he go back to his roots in the farther East Bay (Danville/Alamo/Blackhawk), where the commute will be more intense and longer?

Cuonzo went the close/Piedmont route, while Tedford went the far/Danville route.

Now that the coaching decision has been made, we need to move on to these more important subject matters.

I heard Ben Braun the other day on Sirius Pac-12 radio say that he still lives in Berkeley and absolutely loves it. Even has a kid in Berkeley High.
Ben Braun who is 69 years old has a high school aged kid?
GMP
maxer said:

OskiDeLaHoya said:

75bear said:

This post is half jest, yet half not. Where a coach chooses to live says a lot about him and his cultural imprint on the program.

Will Mark choose to live nearby (Piedmont?) so he can be at the practice facility as much as possible? Will Mark choose to set up shop through the tunnel in Lamorinda? Or does he go back to his roots in the farther East Bay (Danville/Alamo/Blackhawk), where the commute will be more intense and longer?

Cuonzo went the close/Piedmont route, while Tedford went the far/Danville route.

Now that the coaching decision has been made, we need to move on to these more important subject matters.

I heard Ben Braun the other day on Sirius Pac-12 radio say that he still lives in Berkeley and absolutely loves it. Even has a kid in Berkeley High.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180714033354/http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/braun_ben00.html

He has an 11-year old daughter, too.
BeachedBear
maxer said:

OskiDeLaHoya said:

75bear said:

I believe his wife (who did most of the child labor) is about 20 yrs younger than Ben.
calumnus
BeachedBear said:

maxer said:

OskiDeLaHoya said:

75bear said:

I believe his wife (who did most of the child labor) is about 20 yrs younger than Ben.
He was a bachelor most (all?) of his time coaching at Cal. Spent his nights scouting/watching basketball games and eating good meals at restaurants.
Big C
GMP said:

maxer said:

OskiDeLaHoya said:

75bear said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180714033354/http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/braun_ben00.html

He has an 11-year old daughter, too.

My man! Dude put it off even longer than I did...
75bear
Legend
75bear
We finally have an answer - according to the Chronicle, it's Alamo!

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/college/article/mark-madsen-cal-basketball-18181617.php

Makes sense in a lot of ways. He is close to his Danville roots, schools are good in Alamo, and if he can avoid traffic it's not too bad a drive to Berkeley.
philbert
75bear said:

We finally have an answer - according to the Chronicle, it's Alamo!

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/college/article/mark-madsen-cal-basketball-18181617.php

Makes sense in a lot of ways. He is close to his Danville roots, schools are good in Alamo, and if he can avoid traffic it's not too bad a drive to Berkeley.
article says he regularly takes BART to get to campus! A true man of the people.
Shocky1
100% agreed that where a man lives says a lot about him

james arthur knowlton had never been to california before accepting the cal position & lives in a rental home despite his $1,300,000+ annual salary...he absolutely hates berkeley (along with revenue sports, his rerouting of funds earmarked for football & basketball during his tenure is just part of the con game) & is an absentee athletic director while basically living in another state
calumnus
maxer said:

OdontoBear66 said:

So being a peninsula guy all my life (Menlo Park, Los Gatos) what is the pecking order east of the Caldecott Tunnel. For the peninsula I would go Atherton, Woodside, Hillsborough, Los Altos Hills, Palo Alto, Los Altos, Menlo Park.

My guess would be Alamo, Orinda, Moraga, Danville, Lafayette. But then I read things about the academics at some of the public schools being better that turns my table.
It depends on what you want -- all of them have really good schools.

Alamo is really big houses (and Danville too) but is much further away.

Alamo and Danville also have more fancy gated communities like Blackhawk.

Like everything, it's personal preference.

Again, he's from Danville and I would be pretty surprised if he doesn't live there.

And the winner is Alamo.
Oakbear
Bobodeluxe said:

Anarchistbear said:

East Palo Alto
Tedford had a hoops court in his yard, so will the Mad Dog clan have a football field at home? Have to buy out a block to have room. And then the displacement/gentrification issue.
There is a house above the quarry that has an indoor half court set up , built by a warrior maybe 20 years ago, not far from the temple and his kids could go to head Royce school
bearsandgiants
Regardless of is landing spot, while at Cal, he'll be living rent-free in the minds of every Stanfurd alum, which is a great place for all involved.
Big C
bearsandgiants said:

Regardless of is landing spot, while at Cal, he'll be living rent-free in the minds of every Stanfurd alum, which is a great place for all involved.

Assuming there are any serious Furd men's basketball fans out there, this must be killing them. And to think that, when they first hired the portly Haase, they were thinking that about us. How bad a coach is Haase? He lost half his games against Cal teams coached by Wyking Jones and Mark Fox! Of course, Haase will be turning Stanfurd's team around any season now; they just need to be patient.
calumnus
bearsandgiants said:

Alamo is the landing spot.

Yeah, we have Mark Madsen, they have Troy Taylor. We are in each other's heads.

The Stanford fans I know are rooting for Madsen, not when Stanford plays them, but otherwise. They think that if he is successful at Cal they will be able to offer him more money to coach at his alma mater.
JB was a Chieftain
He is just renting
75bear
JB was a Chieftain said:

He is just renting
Gulp.
calumnus
75bear said:

JB was a Chieftain said:

He is just renting
Gulp.

If he elevates us and moves on, sobeit. Though hopefully we will be rid of Knowlton by then because he cannot get this lucky twice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.