cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,270,059 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
Vineyardview
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[U]Quoting Petaluma Bear regarding Asha Thomas commitment to the Cal Bears WBB team,[/U]
[SIZE=4] "...Great get. I love seeing kids from my high school attend my other alma mater... One down from BOD, one to go!!! "[/SIZE]

Cal coaches response:

Yanni Hufnagel [SIZE=4]What an awesome day for @CalCoachG and @CalWBBall!! That's some serious talent they're loading up with!! Thrilled for them.[/SIZE]

Lindsay Gottlieb ‏[SIZE=5]@yhufnagel Thank you! Your turn. [/SIZE]

Lindsay Gottlieb [SIZE=5]You have something special when ur MBB staff genuinely cares about ur WBB players, current&future. Thx @CuonzoMartin &staff.Let's rock Haas.[/SIZE]
petalumabear
Vineyardview;842390185 said:

Quoting Petaluma Bear regarding Aisha Thomas commitment to the Cal Bears WBB team,

[SIZE=4] "...Great get. I love seeing kids from my high school attend my other alma mater... One down from BOD, one to go!!! "[/SIZE]

What he said!!! Thanks ABV....
Shocky1
tyler, if the nba plan doesn't mint you, then you're gonna have to use your educational opportunities to make your dreams come true unless you wanna be a security guard at paseo colorado down the road...click the link below & check out the academic reputations of cal, kansas, oregon, colorado & asu, ok?

new 2014 center for world university rankings:

1) harvard university
2) stanford university
3) massachusetts university of technology
4) university of cambridge
5) university of oxford
6) columbia university
7) university of california, berkeley
8) university of chicago
9) princeton university
10) yale university

http://cwur.org/2014/

don't be a dumb azz#

HoopDreams
Ivan Rabb, the No. 5 prospect in the ESPN 100 has cut his list to FIVE. Powerhouse North Carolina and Georgetown don't make the cut.

"It's a much clearer picture for me now, a big monkey off my back," Rabb said. "I wasn't sure until now and I am glad I didn't rush this process. Now I can focus on my school work, basketball team and getting my ankle healthy."

"If I go to California, I can have a chance to start something special as opposed to being a part of something special, and I like that. Coach [Cuonzo] Martin is a very positive person."

[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=6]Rep the Bay[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shocky1

cal family welcomes elite 2015 5'6" point guard asha thomas to the california golden bears women's basketball program...asha is an efficient facilitator/distributor & is also an accurate 3 point & free throw shooter...she will likely start from day 1

thomas will be staying home to play in front of her family & friends at the #1 ranked public university in the world & reconnecting with former dragon kc waters in berkeley

montera middle school dreammakers#
Shocky1
justin cobbs waived by the charlotte bobcats & richard solomon waived by the okalahoma city thunder

don't fool yourself, ballin' out without a safety net is pressure

cal diploma=life (career) insurance policy
Shocky1
[video=youtube;ELPXihmx4Fw][/video]

this is cal basketball#
tim94501
Shocky1;842390365 said:

justin cobbs waived by the charlotte bobcats & richard solomon waived by the okalahoma city thunder

don't fool yourself, ballin' out without a safety net is pressure

cal diploma=life (career) insurance policy

These cats will be making great money overseas. Don't get it twisted.
Shocky1
tim94501;842390372 said:

These cats will be making great money overseas. Don't get it twisted.

tim, your definition of "great money" is apparently a lot different than mine

the starting salaries of americans playing professional basketball overseas is around $65k (sometimes with favorable tax advantages) and often with a car & an apartment...but young guys are also living in foreign countries without their families & friends, those not fluent in the host nation's language experience isolation from communications barriers, and the style of basketball is often much more physical with americans targeted for contact (i.e. broken noses, etc.)

despite the grandiose & inaccurate promises by agents & their runners, very few players playing overseas ever make nba rosters...some guys like former bears rod benson (who is a free spirit like me, both justin & richard are not hardwired that way) thrive playing basketball internationally but most americans wash out overseas relatively quickly

hopefully both justin cobbs & richard solomon will make the necessary academic efforts to finish their final semesters in order to graduate & earn their cal degrees while continuing to pursue their professional basketball aspirations...marco harris can help them achieve their educational goals if they are motivated to do so

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842386732 said:

played golf today on a perfect crisp late fall afternoon in flagstaff (the aspens are shimmering in the breezes with bright gold & orange colors) with my buddy tony the tiger & a highly respected longtime nba executive

mr nba told me that jabari bird has "developing offensive skills but a low motor, who can he defend?"...jabari, when you nonchalantly float back on d or don't fight for rebounds/loose ball or don't play relentless d or sulk on the bench, don't think the nba isn't watching...every time you suit up in a cal uniform you are basically going to a job interview...if the nba thinks ce lo green is faster back in transition than you, that's not a good thing, ok?

regarding tyrone wallace & david kravish they are "on the radar, both have some skills, but have a lot of work to do"

the nba is a cold billion dollar ruthless biz that spends tens of millions of dollars on scouting...there is no safety net for those that don't make it in the league

current players & prospective recruits and their families need to recognize that slick sports agents & their runners are talking out of their azzs when they offer their unsubstantiated promises of your future nba stardom...you can only trust nba general managers, assistant general managers, directors of scouting & player evaluation and head coaches regarding an honest player's assessment of their nba potential...there are established channels of player feedback directly from the nba

don't listen to dumb azz & self serving sports agents & their runners or pay attention to internet nba mock draft sources, they are not legit

beware of fake models#

"jabari bird is a guy getting out of his comfort zone, playing both ends of the floor, defending on both ends, working hard, attacking the rim, rebounding the ball"
-cuonzo martin
HoopDreams
Giants take game 5, and lead the World Series 3-2

[SIZE=5]Go Giants![/SIZE]
tim94501
Shocky1;842390389 said:

the starting salaries of americans playing professional basketball overseas is around $65k (sometimes with favorable tax advantages) and often with a car & an apartment...but young guys are also living in foreign countries without their families & friends, those not fluent in the host nation's language experience isolation from communications barriers, and the style of basketball is often much more physical with americans targeted for contact (i.e. broken noses, etc.)

despite the grandiose & inaccurate promises by agents & their runners, very few players playing overseas ever make nba rosters...some guys like former bears rod benson (who is a free spirit like me, both justin & richard are not hardwired that way) thrive playing basketball internationally but most americans wash out overseas relatively quickly

hopefully both justin cobbs & richard solomon will make the necessary academic efforts to finish their final semesters in order to graduate & earn their cal degrees while continuing to pursue their professional basketball aspirations...marco harris can help them achieve their educational goals if they are motivated to do so

don't be a dumb azz#

Having 65k of tax free money is pretty solid to pay hoop. That's rock bottom for Europe though. For instance my guy Paul Marigny is getting 35k a month and I honestly think cobbs is better. Not to say neglect the education but it's a solid solid gig.
Shocky1

mike montgomery & cuonzo martin visited for the 1st time in person during the 1st week of october for almost an hour

"cuonzo's come in and set down really strict guidelines of how they're doing things...he's been pretty tough as far as "here's what we're going to do and here's how we're going to do do it" and i think that's good for them...the good news for cuonzo is that this group will accept that...it's a great group of guys...we talked about getting guys up for 6:00 am workouts and this group will do that...last year's group, we might have had constant issues (because of the lack of senior leadership)...they probably don't necessarily like getting up that early but they will because it's a great group of kids with great leadership...great locker room, great chemistry...david's a good leader...the freshmen (cal's monster class) are now sophmores"
-mike montgomery

cal family#
socaltownie
Shocky1;842390389 said:

don't be a dumb azz#

+1. Shockster and I have a difference of opinion on a few things but on this one we couldn't be more aligned. Finish up. Get your degree.
Shocky1
[video]http://thisiscalbasketball.com/one-love/[/video]

Shocky1
jorge gutierrez has made the new jersey net's 2014/2015 roster

2014 salary: $816,482
2015 salary: $947,276

jorge is playing with house money, he has a safety net as a graduate in interdisciplinary studies from the #1 ranked public university in the world...as marco harris likes to say "men take care of their business"

road map for jabari & tyrone#
don't be a dumb azz#
south bender
Shocky, I hope your salary figures are correct. In the other thread, the salary was $847 thousand for 2 years, iirc.

In any event, GO JORGE!!!
Shocky1
south bender;842390858 said:

Shocky, I hope your salary figures are correct. In the other thread, the salary was $847 thousand for 2 years, iirc.

In any event, GO JORGE!!!

the $s listed by me are accurate
Shocky1
sometimes in life you gotta listen to people that are wiser than you...recent conversation with my good friend & longtime business mentor johnny:

me: what up?

johnny: yeah, i have a request for you regarding arika's wedding saturday at the montelucia (his oldest daughter is getting married this weekend)

me: sure, no problem

johnny: ok, good, i want you to get a haircut this week for the wedding, ok?

me: why?

johnny: because you look like a cal hippie yoga teacher

me: thank you

johnny: can you do that for me?

me: sure, anything else?

johnny: well, actually there is one more thing

me: really?

johnny: i don't want you to wear one of your suits

me: are you serious, why?

johnny: because rhonda (his wife) thinks you look like the joker in batman

me: (reminding myself that johnny is gonna invite me again to augusta national next spring, i've played golf there 4 separate times on 63 hole trips, twice with johnny who's tight with a member): so, what should i wear then, should i show up naked?

johnny: let's go down to my car now then, i got one of my suits that you can borrow

me: wow, you got this all planned out, don't you?...you're pretty organized for a dumb azz

johnny: relax

me: ok, anything else, is there a script i need to follow too?

johnny: well, we've put you at the "fun" table but don't do anything stupid, ok?

me: like what, maybe palm the azz of one of arika's bridesmaids while the band plays?

johnny: that's exactly what i'm talking about!

me: you're a dumb azz

johnny: thank you

i have mentors for just about everything in life...mentors are people who have your best interests at heart (even if you don't always understand their advice)...if you think you don't need mentors for the various aspects of your life, you're not gonna become self-actualized (the best possible you) & maximize your unlimited opportunities in life...don't be a know it all dumb azz (like me sometimes)

it's been my experience that almost everybody that you ever ask to mentor you will be honored by your request & will help you if you ask sincerely

remember, keep your eye on the ball
HoopDreams
[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=7]Congratulations Jorge![/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=4]'I don't need easy, I need possible'[/SIZE]
concordtom
Shocky1;842390468 said:

mike montgomery & cuonzo martin visited for the 1st time in person during the 1st week of october for almost an hour

"cuonzo's come in and set down really strict guidelines of how they're doing things...he's been pretty tough as far as "here's what we're going to do and here's how we're going to do do it" and i think that's good for them...the good news for cuonzo is that this group will accept that...it's a great group of guys...we talked about getting guys up for 6:00 am workouts and this group will do that...last year's group, we might have had constant issues (because of the lack of senior leadership)...they probably don't necessarily like getting up that early but they will because it's a great group of kids with great leadership...great locker room, great chemistry...david's a good leader...the freshmen (cal's monster class) are now sophmores"
-mike montgomery

Translation: Monty's not getting invited to Solo's wedding. Solo's not getting invited to Monty's Bay Area Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
south bender
concordtom;842390962 said:

Translation: Monty's not getting invited to Solo's wedding. Solo's not getting invited to Monty's Bay Area Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

There were two not providing senior leadership, not Solomon alone, as I read this.
Shocky1
south bender;842390976 said:

There were two not providing senior leadership, not Solomon alone, as I read this.

justin, richard & jeff all were more inwardly focused than david kravish
Shocky1

listen to all american tara murrey passionately speak about her bears teammate carli lloyd, the national player of the year, after their heartbreaking loss to penn state in the finals of the ncaa volleyball championship a few years ago

fast forward to the 9 minute & 20 second mark...emotional fireworks, this is the most epic interview in cal athletics history & reflects the pure unmitigated respect & love of true champions that are willing to take a bullet for each other...if you mist up a little watching this, that's ok, let's roll baby

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=207750720

championship teams have total buy in from everyone (last season's men's basketball team underachieved because some guys had personal agendas & some guys sulked like little bitches which along with the chess club quiet aura surrounding the bench resulted in inconsistent team performances from game to game, greg gottlieb told me you never knew who was gonna show up)

this year's californa golden bears are differently hardwired

"i'm really optimistic...the team we have back are really a great bunch of guys...not just on the court but off the court, guys you'd really want to hang around and who you wouldn't be ashamed to meet your parents or have your daughter date, people who are nice guys, good guys overall...we have a great group of guys that are willing to go all out and give their all for the team"

"sometimes teams have certain guys who like to do their own thing or hang out with certain friends on the team but we really don't have that this year...everyone gets along great...there's no individual groups...we all live together or right next to each other...the chemistry's real good, even if we mix it up on the court sometimes"
-david kravish

together we attack#
unbreakable#
concordtom
south bender;842390976 said:

Did we ever hear what happened that Solo was not able to play at the end of the season? He hit his head doing, what?
HoopDreams
guaranteed 4 year scholarships, including being able to return to school if you leave with half your degree complete, and in good academic standing
Medical expenses for athletes injured during their college careers
support for stipends to cover the full cost of attendance (if NCAA approves)
athletes will be represented in the conference's governance structure

concordtom
Shocky1;842391020 said:

[

"i'm really optimistic...the team we have back are really a great bunch of guys...not just on the court but off the court, guys you'd really want to hang around and who you wouldn't be ashamed to meet your parents or have your daughter date, people who are nice guys, good guys overall...we have a great group of guys that are willing to go all out and give their all for the team"

-david kravish

Well, among the 8 Rules For Dating My Daughter is going to be "no visible tattoo markings". So, David's got a point there. The tat per capita did just decline.
HoopDreams

Shocky1
you like sitting on your azz for the half the game in his new platoon scheme with a dozen mcdonalds all americans sharing one basketball & the bench...the guy selling cokes at rupp is gonna get more action than 6'8" marcus lee (of course practicing is way more important in terms of nba skills development & fun than actually playing in basketball games according to some street agents)

ivan rabb's 5 finalists are cal, kentucky (tripping to lexington sunday & monday's blue/white scrimmage), arizona, kansas (november 7th) & ucla

coach cal is all business (he doesn't even pretend he's interested in any personal relationship with you) & emphasized the following key factors of the kentucky nba development factory during ivan's official visit:

*****playing 14-19 minutes per game will prepare you for the nba & coming off the bench cold
*****sharing playing time & one basketball with a dozen mcdonald all americans that all ruthlessly want your valuable playing time is an authentic replication of the cruel nba biz...the strongest predators will win out in the long run
*****the uber lux kentucky basketball dorms which are designed to minimize a player's unnecessary interactions with college students...if you wanna see students, you'll see them bundled up & lining up in the snow 3 hours before your games at rupp
*****an unlimited # of twitter followers & groupies
*****the state of the art kentucky basketball std health clinic which is open 24/7
*****seminars on important nba topics like the proper stowing of firearms in your vehicle for your personal safety
*****a reaffirmation that "reading books and **** like that is a total waste of time" in preparing yourself for the nba draft
*****financial advice re: the economic dangers of giving back too much to your high school & community instead of funneling money into your lavish nba cribs mansion with a tricked out game room
*****criminal defense firm near campus with experienced barristers "in case some bitch gets out of line"...you are legally entitled to a strong pimp hand at the trap house
*****the benefits of distance (2,382 miles from oakland to lexington) in order to "block out distractions like your mom & younger brother"

coach cal is the man#
business decision#
Shocky1
brandon, if the nba doesn't mint you, then you're gonna have to utilize your educational opportunities to achieve your dreams in life & build a better life for you & your family (mom matters)...a lsu education is gonna best prepare you for being the night shift supervisor at the chicken shack on the north acadian thruway, right?...so click the link below & research the academic reputations of cal & lsu, ok?

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings?int=9cf408

even your guy huf has a career backup plan, he's the lead singer for future islands

don't be a dumb azz#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (and #3 ranked overall) university in the world
Shocky1

cal family welcomes elite 2015 5'6" point guard asha thomas to the california golden bears women's basketball program...asha is an efficient facilitator/distributor & is also an accurate 3 point & free throw shooter...she will likely start from day 1

thomas will be staying home to play in front of her family & friends at the #1 ranked public university in the world & reconnecting with former dragon kc waters in berkeley

"ivan's like my brother...we've grown up together since like 6th grade...he's a very humble person and a great person to be around...for him to be in this position is probably overwhelming for him but i'm sure it's exciting at the same time...i'm happy for him, i really am...like i said, he's my brother, and i'm just trying to see where he feels it's best to take his talents...oh yeah, that would be great (if ivan selected cal)...he's got good people around him helping him but he has a good head on his shoulders...he's a smart kid who knows how to do things and make the right decisions"
-asha thomas
HoopDreams

[video=youtube;bBO7X9JD2_s][/video]
Shocky1

consensus 5 star 2016 top 10 6'2" 165 guard from findlay prep (henderson, nevada) derryck thornton has cut his list to 10 colleges: cal, kentucky, unlv, arizona, duke, michigan, louisville, usc, miami, north carolina

derryck (who is from las vegas) told josh gershon:

"california, i have a great relationship with coach yanni hufnagel and coach cuonzo martin...it's real close to home, it's a great education and it's a great school"

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) ranked university in the world

HoopDreams
Women's college basketball is a highly competitive sport with fierce competition for the top recruits
But can Cal beat out the traditional powerhouse schools? Can Cal build something great?

With world-class academics, the culture and diversity of the bay area, and top coaches that won't rest till they reach the peak, the answer is...
...well, let me introduce you to the freshmen class and you can reach your own conclusion:

[SIZE=3]Penina Davidson - New Zealand National Team, led her club team, Waitakere to the 2013 national title and was named Tournament MVP, ASB Young Sportsperson of the Year for basketball[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Mikayla Cowling - No. 11 overall by ESPN HoopGurlz as the No. 2 winger in the country, All-American, All-State. From Benicia, California

Gabby Green - No. 12 overall by ESPN HoopGurlz, ranked No. 1 guard prospect by Prospect Nation ... Gold medalist with the 2013 USA Basketball U19 World Championship team, All-American, All-State. From Oakland, California
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Building...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=7]Rep the Bay[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
Nets Understand They Must Get Defensive
By Lenn Robbins | Oct 24, 2014

The film session lasted a solid 40 minutes, and it wasn't pretty.
When it ended, the Brooklyn Nets' coaching staff filed out, leaving the players to ponder what they had just seen clips of what head coach Lionel Hollins believes are defensive shortcomings that must be corrected for this team to succeed.

"I think we were a little disappointed in our defense at times,'' said point guard Deron Williams. "I think we're a little lazy. We're standing up. Definitely a lot of things we can improve on on the defensive end.

"What we need is defense. We got to break those habits. We've practiced a lot harder than it looks like when we're playing. That's something that we talked about. It can't happen.''

Defense? .... enter Mr. Gutierrez

[SIZE=5][video]http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jorge_gutierrez[/video][/SIZE]

Will the 2014-15 Edition of the California Golden Bears play the type of tough defense that Coach Martin demands?
First Page Last Page
Page 121 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.