cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,270,371 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
manus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842120126 said:

bleached: quick quiz

1) are all your socks sorted by color & size?

2) do you drive to work (school) on the same route every day?

3) would you ever kiss a girl that had not recently brushed & flossed her teeth?

4) when at sporting events, do you look around to see if you are making too much noise thereby potentially emabarassing yourself?

hmmmm.................

5) Is your desk constantly organized so that all pieces of paper are square and color coordinated, all pens/pencils are exactly north and south, no coffee stains, your phone is squared up too, etc.

:axe
Shocky1
roger very much enjoyed his official visit to cal and is now flying back to mass...apparently he did not realize that berkelely is such a cosmopolitan, multiculturally diverse urban environment

rmab will next confer with his mom & dad back in cameroon and his #1 advisor, big bro luc richard of the milwaukee bucks...he will then either commit to the bears or keep on taking more official visits to marquette, etc...reclassifying to 2014 is also an option but less likely now that he is fully cleared

an early quote in his recruitment offers an important clue: "the thing i like the most is how cal mixes academics and athletics at the same time...i'm very interested in having a great career but i want to go somewhere where i can have good academics"

rmab scrimmaged at haas, observed a s&c workout (which is critical if he is to fully develop his current 6'7" 190 lbs frame) and attended the cal team awards banquet at memorial (very impressed by the spectacular view of the bay)

among the cal team awards:

puff daddy combs award (player most likely to be driving a porsche cayenne turbo next year): alan crabbe

back to the future award (player most likely to be driving a lamborghinni lp 570-4 superleggra edizione tecnica in 10 years): david kravish

nelson mandela award (player most likely to contribute to the betterment of africa): bak bak

blue cross/blue shield award (players that most need to stay healthy next season): ricky kreklow & christian behrens

joe francis girls gone wild award: jeff powers

hollywood award (player most likely to become a superhero in a major studio blockbuster): robert thurman

2013 pac 12 mvp award (player most likely to become the 4th bear to win the pac 12 mvp award in the last 5 years): justin cobbs*

*please note that this award is contingent upon jc developing a dedicated yoga practice this summer to eliminate his obvious angst and become better balanced both physically & mentally (like the shockster) with less of a perpetual pissed off/constipated demeanor

willie beamon stfu award (player most dissed by wb with the opportunity to become a nba 2nd round choice in 2013 with continued development): richard solomon

mr happy award (best teammate): tyrone wallace

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world
stu
Shocky1;842120262 said:

Nice!

And thanks for the update on Roger Moute a Bidias.
HoopDreams
Wow, both a great recruit visit report, AND a comprehensive Cal basketball awards banquet run down.

I second the nomination of each award!

Shocky1;842120262 said:

roger very much enjoyed his official visit to cal and is now flying back to mass...apparently he did not realize that berkelely is such a cosmopolitan, multiculturally diverse urban environment

rmab will next confer with his mom & dad back in cameroon and his #1 advisor, big bro luc richard of the milwaukee bucks...he will then either commit to the bears or keep on taking more official visits to marquette, etc...reclassifying to 2014 is also an option but less likely now that he is fully cleared

an early quote in his recruitment offers an important clue: "the thing i like the most is how cal mixes academics and athletics at the same time...i'm very interested in having a great career but i want to go somewhere where i can have good academics"

rmab scrimmaged at haas, observed a s&c workout (which is critical if he is to fully develop his current 6'7" 180 lbs frame) and attended the cal team awards banquet at memorial (very impressed by the spectacular view of the bay)

puff daddy combs award (player most likely to be driving a porsche cayenne turbo next year): alan crabbe

back to the future award (player most likely to be driving a lamborghinni lp 570-4 superleggra edizione tecnica in 10 years): david kravish

nelson mandela award (player most likely to contribute to the betterment of africa): bak bak

blue cross/blue shield award (players that most need to stay healthy next season): ricky kreklow & christian behrens

joe francis girls gone wild award: jeff powers

hollywood award (player most likely to become a superhero in a major studio thriller): robert thurman

2013 pac 12 mvp award (player most likely to become the 4th bear to win the pac 12 mvp award in the last 5 years): justin cobbs*

*please note that this award is contingent upon jc developing a dedicated yoga practice this summer to eliminate his obvious angst and become better balanced both physically & mentally (like the shockster) with less of a perpetual pissed off/constipated demeanor

willie beamon stfu award (player most dissed by wb with the opportunity to become a nba 2nd round choice in 2013 with continued development): richard solomon

mr happy award (best teammate): tyrone wallace

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world
south bender
HoopDreams;842120271 said:

Wow, both a great recruit visit report, AND a comprehensive Cal basketball awards banquet run down.

I second the nomination of each award!

Agreed.

For a guy who gets little respect from many Kravish as shot blocker contributed plenty to last year's squad putting on best overall defensive performance since Newll's teams.

Go Bears!
R90
south bender;842120293 said:

Agreed.

For a guy who gets little respect from many Kravish as shot blocker contributed plenty to last year's squad putting on best overall defensive performance since Newll's teams.

Go Bears!

I'm thinking Yogi must have been hired as our official statistician. There were a bunch of games where it seemed like Kravish had 7 or 8 blocks but was credited with 2 or 3. If it wasn't Yogi, then maybe it was just some blind old blue.
south bender
R90;842120294 said:

I'm thinking Yogi must have been hired as our official statistician. There were a bunch of games where it seemed like Kravish had 7 or 8 blocks but was credited with 2 or 3. If it wasn't Yogi, then maybe it was just some blind old blue.

Agreed!

I don't know how many times I counted Kravish blocks in real time, only to be amazed by the few for which he got official credit.

Also, he blocked a lot of shots where the shooter had been previously fouled, thus nullifying the possibility of a 3- point play. Of course he got no shot block credit on these, but really helped our Bears with his efforts.

Go Bears!
Shocky1
congratulations to richard moute a bidias & his family on his official commitment to the cal monster class!!!

richard's mom, goufane a ziem agnes bertine & father, camille moute a bidias (a high ranking government official overseeing the national employment fund of cameroon) along with older bros emmanuel & luc richard mbah a moute of the milwaukee bucks (who made numerous calls checking on monty & the bears bb program) are all 100% supportive of roger's decision which will be finalized with a signed loi next week

the cal monster class law firm is now expanded to:

bird, matthews, singer, (k)rooks & moute a bidias

roger is "excited to be in this class and it's such an honor to be at uc berkelely, one of the best schools in the world"

fly with the bird#
represent the bay#
ff/nc in 2015#

HoopDreams
nice that the family checked out Monty and the program, and gave their thumbs up. That probably means his brother checked with some NBA folks and asked about Monty's development of players for the NBA.

As for Moute a Bidias joining the Cal Monster Class, this allows us to extend this Monster Thread even longer. Could we be going for a Cal basketball thread record?!?

Welcome to Cal Roger!

Shocky1;842120369 said:

congratulations to richard moute a bidias & his family on his official commitment to the cal monster class!!!

richard's mom, goufane a ziem agnes bertine & father, camille moute a bidias (a high ranking government official overseeing the national employment fund of cameroon) along with older bro luc mbah a moute of the milwaukee bucks (who made numerous calls checking on monty & the bears bb program) are all 100% supportive of roger's decision which will be finalized with a signed loi next week

the cal monster class law firm is now expanded to:

bird, matthews, singer, (k)rooks & moute a bidias

roger is "excited to be in this class and it's such an honor to be at uc berkelely, one of the best schools in the world"

fly with the bird#
represent the bay#
ff/nc in 2015#

parentswerebears
Congratulations Roger! Welcome aboard. You made a great decision.
smokeyrover
parentswerebears;842120379 said:

Congratulations Roger! Welcome aboard. You made a great decision.

Excited to see where Moute a Bidias can take his game with Cal. Not expecting too much this year, but hoping he can do enough to earn some minutes.

Wonder if RMAB (Cameroon) will help at all in the recruitment of top 2014 priority Idrissa Diallo (Senegal).
stu
smokeyrover;842120444 said:

Wonder if RMAB (Cameroon) will help at all in the recruitment of top 2014 priority Idrissa Diallo (Senegal).

Cameroon is a long way from Senegal, both geographically and culturally. But these two players could have something in common as fellow travelers.

BTW I'm thrilled with our recruiting class of all 3-star and higher rated players. Ratings certainly aren't all that accurate, but this class looks like it includes zero projects. Congratulations to all of our coaches!
south bender
Wonderful job by the coaching staff!

I believe I have read on this site that our latest brings some strong defensive energy.

Am guessing that will earn him time early on.

Can't wait for next season.

Go Bears!
MaximusArelliusDaBearius
stu;842120454 said:

Cameroon is a long way from Senegal, both geographically and culturally. But these two players could have something in common as fellow travelers.

BTW I'm thrilled with our recruiting class of all 3-star and higher rated players. Ratings certainly aren't all that accurate, but this class looks like it includes zero projects. Congratulations to all of our coaches!

Yep, I think most of this board will agree that Monty is now a top notch recruiter, a great coach and a former Furd (Got out before their College went all bad).
sluggo_Cal
stu;842120454 said:

I like the class but Rooks and Moute are both projects in the sense that neither is quite ready but many think they will be considerably better in two or three years than they are today. But the former is 7'1'' and the latter is an amazing athlete who hasn't been playing long and they both have NBA genes. These are the projects I want to see. Previous projects weren't really projects, more like guys who were asked to play above their abilities.

Sluggo
bleu0
While Cameroon and Senegal are geographically distant from each other, culturally they share a lot of commonalities, not only as bantu cultures but as francophone former French colonies of west and central Africa. Their immigrants often coexist in the same neighbourhoods of Paris, and they have more in common with each other than with African nations formerly under English colonial rule. Or with profoundly different cultural oddballs like Ethiopia. The Ethiopian community in the Bay area, for example, may not be such a big draw for young Senegalese or Camerounais. Different foods, different religions, etc.

If both RMAB and Diallo grew up in Africa, I have to believe this can only help Cal's recruiting efforts with Diallo. I wouldn't be at all surprised if RMAB ended up hosting Diallo on an official visit.

stu;842120454 said:

Shocky1
bleu0;842120489 said:

While Cameroon and Senegal are geographically distant from each other, culturally they share a lot of commonalities, not only as bantu cultures but as francophone former French colonies of west and central Africa. Their immigrants often coexist in the same neighbourhoods of Paris, and they have more in common with each other than with African nations formerly under English colonial rule. Or with profoundly different cultural oddballs like Ethiopia. The Ethiopian community in the Bay area, for example, may not be such a big draw for young Senegalese or Camerounais. Different foods, different religions, etc.

If both RMAB and Diallo grew up in Africa, I have to believe this can only help Cal's recruiting efforts with Diallo. I wouldn't be at all surprised if RMAB ended up hosting Diallo on an official visit.

out of africa...to berkeley, california

bleu, thx you for drawing attention to the subtle nuances between countries within africa

while bak bak (who is originally from sudan and raised in nairobi, kenya) played a role in visiting with richard moute a bidias (cameroon) at the team banquet at memorial, i agree that it would make sense for rmab to host idrissa diallo (senegal) on his official visit (the critical 2013 bb official visit dates could be the frenzied ohio state fb game weekend in sept)...diallo (who is likely a ucla, usc & cal battle imo) will also visit berkeley this summer with his hs coach william meadowbrooks (longtime & well regarded so cal coach w/a longtime friendship with alan crabbe)

like the entire current cal bb team, diallo is an excellent student athelte with a 3.4 gpa...athletically he is as gifted as devon hardin and is the top 2014 bears big man priority (along with thomas wels4, evan fitzer & maybe sami if he enrolls at sfcc this summer) to join potential mcdonalds all american facilitator/scorer amhaad rorie

what are diallo's longterm goals?

"my goal is to be able to travel back to africa and help people...there are a lot of problems there, things like not enough clean drinking water...i have two sisters and women there aren't always treated well so i want to be able to help them too"

absolutely the best article i have ever read in the daily cal is jonathan kuperberg's feb 13th "morning glory: bak bak's seach for a home" which factually (and emotionally) chronicles bak bak being born in to war and then traversing the globe for survial

in my quest of playing the world's top 100 golf courses, i traveled (a 10 hr nonstop to heathrow followed by another 10 hr flight to cape town) for a 3 week tour of africa

while durban cc is the golfing gem of africa with its wildly natural & undulating fairways (monkeys steal your balls on the 7th fairway) plays thru the bush with views of the indian ocean, the highlight for me of this special day was my caddie "jordan" (wore a chicago bulls cap)...we walked & talked for 36 holes re: music & food with him providing local commentary regarding the then upcoming world cup soccer competition to be hosted by his country...at the end of the rounds, despite the local caddie fee being $9 usd in south african rand currency, i gave jordan my usual caddie payment of $100 usd per round plus my golf shoes (his tennis shoes had holes in them held together by tape) & we shook hands in saying our goodbyes (until we meet again)

while cape town first reminded me of sydney (and auckland) with its sun drenched weather and ocean port city with ultra high end hotels (stayed at the uber lux 12 apostles) backed by a magnificient mountain range (table mountain overlooks nelson mandela's prison island off shore), a visit to a shantytown quickly erases those comparisons

the most exciiting thing i have ever done in my life (thus far) is going on safari at the mala mala resort (which is reached by a small private plane) in kruger national park...being yards away from the "big 5" creatures is beyond words and an experience that everyone with the opportunity to visit africa should not miss

giraffes matter#
Shocky1
SFCityBear;842119827 said:

We need to find a photo of the two of them together. He is 6'-8". She is 5'-6".

When I was at Cal, one of my good friends was Camden Wall, the Bears' starting center, who was 6'-10". We went to a party together, and spotted a couple of hot looking chicks. The one who was about 4'-10" ran off with Cam after a couple of dances, and I, at 5'-10", was left with the 6-footer. Charles McCabe said it best, "Tall Girls are Grateful", and wrote a book on the subject.

:gobears:

hey sfcitybear, i checked out your reading suggestion, favorite mccabe quote:

"honesty has ruined more marriages than infidelity"

not good advice for our bb bears...but funny stuff

at least cb's cute gf laura is real=say no to imaginary gf's

honesty matters#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842120122 said:

"it seems to have morphed into dozens of tangents"

bleached, thx for the terrific compliment

reality (life) is not linear#

reason #69,843 why it is important to be flexible & open minded:

when relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb worked out nd (fitchburg, mass) players in mid/late jan of 2013 he was initially focused on matthew atewe (6'9" 235 lbs, 3.3 gpa, just signed with auburn)

but it was richard moute a bidias who caught our coach's eye & the rest is history

reality (life) is not linear#
SFCityBear

Agreed.

Go Bears!

Agree on Kravish. What I like most is the way he often controls the ball when he blocks a shot, either tapping it to a teammate, or grabbing it himself. None of those "crowd pleasing, slap the ball 10 rows up into the seats, and give the ball right back to the opponent" type of blocks.

What you've said about Cal's defensive performance last season being the best since Newell may be true, but it was definitely a defense that was installed out of necessity, in response to the poor defense Cal played in the non-conference season. Our bigs were giving up way too many points and offensive rebounds in the paint, and our guards were having trouble keeping up with quicker guards. The usual response to the latter is to go to a zone or zones, but in zones, it is much harder to block out and prevent offensive rebounds, which we were already having trouble with in a man defense. Plus we had a coach who does not like to play zone. But play zone he did, and the team responded quite well. By the end of the season, the Bears were playing very good defense, mixing defenses to some degree.

Statistically, overall, the 2013 team was probably best, and had the lowest opponent FG% at 39%, plus the most shot blocks at 154. Monty has had some defenses that had good numbers. The 2012 team gave up 61.9 ppg, compared to 2013 at 64.3 ppg. 2012 and 2010 had the biggest point differential between offense and defense at 9 ppg. The 2010 team also had the most steals at 198. Newell's Cal teams played against many very creative fast break teams, but held opponents to 50 ppg in his two best years.

Still, it is hard for me to accept the fact that a team without Jorge could have been better defensively than any of the teams he played on at Cal. Jorge usually took the opponent's best scoring guard, and took him out of the offense. This disrupted the opponent's offense, and made it easier for his teammates to play defense. In my opinion, Jorge is the only player Montgomery has had so far at Cal who was good enough defensively to start for Pete Newell.

Most teams play zone as a way to cover up defensive deficiencies, such as not being able to keep up with a cutter, or knowing when to help out a teammate. Most zones are passive defenses, where you have to change your focus from aggressiveness going after one man to being responsible for an area. When you play man, you stay low, and focus on your man's body. In a zone, you are high, and focus on an area in general. Newell never played a zone, and Montgomery doesn't like it either. I don't think we will go far in tournament play by playing as much zone as we did last year, and I think Montgomery would like to get back to more man-to-man. I would guess that he is recruiting for the type of athlete who can play or learn to play man defense. I'd like to see us recruit athletes who were good enough on defense to play a full court press. Then we would be really very hard to beat.

:Monty
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842120597 said:

hey sfcitybear, i checked out your reading suggestion, favorite mccabe quote:

"honesty has ruined more marriages than infidelity"

not good advice for our bb bears...but funny stuff

at least cb's cute gf laura is real=say no to imaginary gf's

honesty matters#

I'll agree for sure. But there are those who say that honesty in relationships is one of the biggest games of all.
elderbear
Most teams play zone as a way to cover up defensive deficiencies, such as not being able to keep up with a cutter, or knowing when to help out a teammate. Most zones are passive defenses, where you haveJ to change your focus from aggressiveness going after one man to being responsible for an area. When you play man, you stay low, and focus on your man's body. In a zone, you are high, and focus on an area in general. Newell never played a zone, and Montgomery doesn't like it either. I don't think we will go far in tournament play by playing as much zone as we did last year, and I think Montgomery would like to get back to more man-to-man. I would guess that he is recruiting for the type of athlete who can play or learn to play man defense. I'd like to see us recruit athletes who were good enough on defense to play a full court press. Then we would be really very hard to beat.

:Monty

Important to acknowledge that a lack of depth coupled with bigs who too often got into early foul trouble forced MM to go to zones more often as the season progressed to conserve energy and cut down on fouls. Both things zones usually accomplish.
ColoradoBear
OdontoBear66;842119836 said:

I don't think athletes (FB and MBB) need the 2000+ that other students need to enter, but I also did not think it was 1300, either. I do understand Moute's background gives some consideration, but I have seen no answers as to what type an SAT or ACT score a FB or BB player must have to enter and hope to have any chance at success.

Moute has a 21 ACT which translates to a 980-1010 SAT on the 1600 scale we are all used to. The 2400 based SAT includes the writing SAT component (likely similar to the old SAT II Writing, I dunno though), but the NCAA still only looks at 1600 point equivalent for eligibility. A non-native English speaker could be really hindered in the writing component, so Moute's ACT score might be more indicative - in the NCAA's eyes, ACT and SAT are essentially interchangeable.

As for what score is required to have a chance at sucess, I can not say - obviously it's more complex that just a cutoff line.

But consider in the last survey of SAT scores in big time athletics (football and basketball) at public schools - only ONE public schools had a SAT average over 1000 for football (Georgia Tech). Cal's average was 967 for football (which was top 10), and that was from classes in the mid 2000 and before, not the current APR challenged team. Stanford was rumored to have ~1100 average for football in the mid 2000, and it *might* have gone down a bit under harbaugh.

Bottom line, a 21 ACT -> 1000 SAT is not a red flag for college athletics, even at Cal. Cal has let in scores far worse, and does that with regularity in football and basketball.
mikecohen
SFCityBear;842120609 said:

I'll agree for sure. But there are those who say that honesty in relationships is one of the biggest games of all.

In relationships, the main honesty thing is to be honest with yourself. As to the other(s) in the relationship: Although it sounds un-ideal, the most honest thing is to live up to the burden of judging what the other(s) is/are capable of receiving in a way that furthers the communication. If the judgment is that expressing what you believe to be the truth will meet with resistance to the truth, the best alternative is to find a way to communicate it that will get past the resistance. Failing the insight to find that, the alternative is to wait until you have that insight. One has to accept the arrogance that comes with the necessity of such judgment; and one has to live with the fact that, in making such judgment (as with everything else), everybody is far from perfect. So, what if one judges that the other(s) can receive the information in a constructive way, but one turns out to be wrong? The better judgments are lessons from such failures. But what's the remedy for mistakenly withholding the truth? The only answer I can think of is that, all things being equal, withholding the truth is not something one can live with for very long; and the more one has to do it, the weaker the relationship(s).
south bender
mikecohen;842120629 said:

In relationships, the main honesty thing is to be honest with yourself. As to the other(s) in the relationship: Although it sounds un-ideal, the most honest thing is to live up to the burden of judging what the other(s) is/are capable of receiving in a way that furthers the communication. If the judgment is that expressing what you believe to be the truth will meet with resistance to the truth, the best alternative is to find a way to communicate it that will get past the resistance. Failing the insight to find that, the alternative is to wait until you have that insight. One has to accept the arrogance that comes with the necessity of such judgment; and one has to live with the fact that, in making such judgment (as with everything else), everybody is far from perfect. So, what if one judges that the other(s) can receive the information in a constructive way, but one turns out to be wrong? The better judgments are lessons from such failures. But what's the remedy for mistakenly withholding the truth? The only answer I can think of is that, all things being equal, withholding the truth is not something one can live with for very long; and the more one has to do it, the weaker the relationship(s).

Gee, I thought this a Cal basketball site, not "Dear Abby"....
Shocky1
best advice i have ever received is:

"you can't marry everyone you love"

actually that is kind of stoopid advice...like i'm really going to marry my two rescue dogs, happy & misty mae?
Shocky1
ColoradoBear1;842120616 said:

Moute has a 21 ACT which translates to a 980-1010 SAT on the 1600 scale we are all used to. The 2400 based SAT includes the writing SAT component (likely similar to the old SAT II Writing, I dunno though), but the NCAA still only looks at 1600 point equivalent for eligibility. A non-native English speaker could be really hindered in the writing component, so Moute's ACT score might be more indicative - in the NCAA's eyes, ACT and SAT are essentially interchangeable.

As for what score is required to have a chance at sucess, I can not say - obviously it's more complex that just a cutoff line.

But consider in the last survey of SAT scores in big time athletics (football and basketball) at public schools - only ONE public schools had a SAT average over 1000 for football (Georgia Tech). Cal's average was 967 for football (which was top 10), and that was from classes in the mid 2000 and before, not the current APR challenged team. Stanford was rumored to have ~1100 average for football in the mid 2000, and it *might* have gone down a bit under harbaugh.

Bottom line, a 21 ACT -> 1000 SAT is not a red flag for college athletics, even at Cal. Cal has let in scores far worse, and does that with regularity in football and basketball.

colorado, if you used a time machine to put cal grads in cameroon at age 15, what kind of gpas & test scores would we achieve with virtually no firm understanding of the language, customs & lifestyle of a new country?...my guess is that your (and mine) gpa would probably be about the same as a dumb azz baller like nerlen noels (2.1 gpa)

comparing sat scores for a young person who has only been in the usa for a few years vs students who have lived here their entire lives is not a valid comparison or effective predictor of future academic success imo

cal rightfully has different academic entrance requirements for prospective students from 3rd world countries that have only been in the united states for a few years than they do for trust fund kids from bel aire that attended harvard prep...there are slots for both types of students at a diverse university like cal

roger has made remarkable strides in learning english & absorbing american culture in a very short period of time

it is only fitting that the #1 ranked public university in the world selectively extends opportunties to those with a relentless desire to succeed & pursue the american dream

cal is a dream school#
calumnus

Agreed.

Go Bears!

Kravish (among the starters) is the main reason we were a good zone team. He was often a liability in man defense, but he was a shot blocking force in zone where his anticipation, long arms, and lack of body contact were assets.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842119554 said:

early reports on frid: good kid with serious height but needs to work a lot harder to play at this level...not close to seeing the floor at this time

bears will not lock up frid with a scholly at this time...valuable 3 pt shooter & crowd babe watch alert sr wingman jeff powers will likely receive the 13th scholly for 2013

roger is visiting berkelely now on an official with the possiblity of the bears receiving a commitment...if not, then the already active recruitment of juan will accelerate

good luck to robert frid at his next school

one of the challenges monty & co faced this season was the inability to run competitive practices with key injuries (kreklow, behrens & smith) & other guys (rodriguez & frid) not ready to play at this level

next season the bears will be 2 deep next for the 1st time in monty's 5 yr career at cal & this depth will result in significantly more intense practices

work hard, die last#
OdontoBear66
ColoradoBear1;842120616 said:

ColoradoBear, I am sure what you say is true. I would say with offers of admission just sent out about a month ago there are a lot ot 30 and 31 ACTs that were refused admission to Cal. Yes, I am not that naive', and I do know athletes (not all but some) can get breaks so that we can compete with the Alabamas of the world occasionally, but as much as I like Moute's coming to Cal, and as much as I realize he young in the process with BB and American education (English), I just have a hard time imagining anyone with 58.33% (21 out of 36) can stand a reasonable chance to succeed at Cal.

Having grandchildren with great GPAs and being good athletes, brings this all home for me. I am becoming appraised that there are numerous strategies, but I wish that all that was shared so we could really know what is going on, for our own information, and to help friends and relatives who have "admission situations". For some reason, I think that this is a somewhat guarded point of information.

Let me give you an example....A friend of mine in the soccer world (women's) has older daughters who have friends who were not Top 100 players, but nevertheless pretty darn good. They appealed to the coaching staff at one of our sister universities (think LA), and their 4.1 GPAs got them admission to that school as a "walk on", where they otherwise may not have gained admission. Why to compensate for a schollie Top 100 player who had a 3.0 GPA...Both practiced, but never played, for one year and quit. But they are "IN". So it can go both ways.

My thrust, why can't we share this. It would be helpful. My only guess is that it is in fact, embarrassing too. Just my guess.

Now with regards to Moute's recruitment, I am excited, and wish him the best. Just using things like this to gain info, and some Bear fans have PMed me with great info..
Shocky1
tsubamoto2001;842116395 said:

Rorie's a guy that could end up being a lot better than where he is currently ranked (a la Trey Burke, who was ranked in the 80's). He'll probably move up the rankings by end of this summer.

tsub, agreed re: ar...last week in las vegas he captained his team to the vegas live championship title with 24 ppg & 7 apg under the watchful eye of johnny montgomery (who also celebrated his b-day last week)

lincoln abes state championship 2013/2014#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842119646 said:

thx sfcity for posting the above bios

in a perfect world i would have dirt.com assistance from future night club (west la, paris, las vegas, london, scottsdale, milan & nyc) magnate jeff powers but here goes nothing

christian & laura are way too wholesome and happy in these photos...they look like should be signed to a longterm disney show that plays on the nickelodeon channel

on the other hand, maybe i should introduce them to my sherwood cc golf buddy mark burg (he's also charlie sheen's longtime mgr, calls himself the "world's biggest babysitter") and he could cast them for his next saw movie

opening scene: station wagon pulls up to camp friendly pines

mom & dad get out of car: "hi, we are the fernwalt family, this is little jimmy & susie"

christian: "hi jimmmy, i'm the basketball counselor, would you like to shoot baskets with me this afternoon?'

jimmy: "wow, that would be swell, mister!"

laura: "susie, i'm the soccer coach, we have a game in a few minutes, do you want to play?"

susie: (shyly) "ok, that sounds like fun"

fernwalt parents: "by kids, have a great summer" while waving goodbye and camera cuts to dirt kicking up as they drive out the front gate of camp friendly pines

cut to midnight scene: christian & laura running around the forest with chainsaws after jimmy & susie (along with movie audience) all screaming

did i mention then that christian & laura would probably be paid $1m+, plus residuals and a sag card (which would improve their chances of receiving future oscar tixs)?

my guess is that cb would probably win an oscar which would then lead to future roles on both broadway & nbc prime time pilot shows

like i said, they are a good looking couple

another good looking couple is all american jabari bird & his cute gf kelli hayes, a top 50 wbb jr at san jose's mitty hs...hopefully jb & coach gottlieb will encourage kh to become a bear for cal's final four wbb team

coachgrocks#
HoopDreams
the shockster is always on the local beat

Kelli joining the Bears and Jabari would be huge
Hope Coach G is on this

Shocky1;842120959 said:

another good looking couple is all american jabari bird & his cute gf kelli hayes, a top 50 wbb jr at san jose's mitty hs...hopefully jb & coach gottlieb will encourage kh to become a bear for cal's final four wbb team

coachgrocks#
89Bear
LOVE this thread!!! One day it's relationship advice, the next it's reading about great golf courses, then you get an inside scoop on recruiting?????? :cheer
socaltownie
OdontoBear66;842120837 said:

ColoradoBear, I am sure what you say is true. I would say with offers of admission just sent out about a month ago there are a lot ot 30 and 31 ACTs that were refused admission to Cal. Yes, I am not that naive', and I do know athletes (not all but some) can get breaks so that we can compete with the Alabamas of the world occasionally, but as much as I like Moute's coming to Cal, and as much as I realize he young in the process with BB and American education (English), I just have a hard time imagining anyone with 58.33% (21 out of 36) can stand a reasonable chance to succeed at Cal.

Having grandchildren with great GPAs and being good athletes, brings this all home for me. I am becoming appraised that there are numerous strategies, but I wish that all that was shared so we could really know what is going on, for our own information, and to help friends and relatives who have "admission situations". For some reason, I think that this is a somewhat guarded point of information.

Let me give you an example....A friend of mine in the soccer world (women's) has older daughters who have friends who were not Top 100 players, but nevertheless pretty darn good. They appealed to the coaching staff at one of our sister universities (think LA), and their 4.1 GPAs got them admission to that school as a "walk on", where they otherwise may not have gained admission. Why to compensate for a schollie Top 100 player who had a 3.0 GPA...Both practiced, but never played, for one year and quit. But they are "IN". So it can go both ways.

My thrust, why can't we share this. It would be helpful. My only guess is that it is in fact, embarrassing too. Just my guess.

Now with regards to Moute's recruitment, I am excited, and wish him the best. Just using things like this to gain info, and some Bear fans have PMed me with great info..

Shocky - I would only point out that Cameroon is part of the commonwealth and thus English is fairly widespread - at least among the political and economic elites.

I agree with your point but a bit different than many foreign students.
First Page Last Page
Page 20 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.