cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,264,712 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?

justin labagh, the winningiest hc in college bb history (87.6% winning record prior to this season & #1 ranked rams are 28-1 heading into playoffs tonite vs butte), told me that he recruited potential pac 12 newcomer of the year delon wright thru his barber who is the same guy who was also styling then golden state warriors dorell wright's hair too...dorell is a a 10 yr nba veteran (now a teammate of alan crabbe with the portland trailblazers) & he hooked up labagh with his little bro from la

delon "played the same way at city college as he is now playing with utah" for ccsf & only had d1 offers (labeled as too skinny) from cal state bakersfield & cal state fullerton until labagh got him connected with utah...now delon is a legit nba early entrant prospect

for those of you wondering, no, delon academically was not a good fit for cal

go rams#
just say no to supercuts#

BC Calfan
I know we aren't recruiting him but Trey Mourning just picked up an offer from Florida. Quite an honor to get one from Donovan.

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 2h
Florida has offered. RT @brnorthington Does Trey Mourning have any offers?
Shocky1
BC Calfan;842289249 said:

I know we aren't recruiting him but Trey Mourning just picked up an offer from Florida. Quite an honor to get one from Donovan.

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 2h
Florida has offered. RT @brnorthington Does Trey Mourning have any offers?

ransom everglades hc claude grubair told me last yr that mourning would probably end up at georgetown like his dad but if any school might sway him it would be cal because of its academic reputation and his respect/friendship with teammate sam singer

but the raiders never ended up making the summer trip to berkeley for the cal team camp & his bears recruitment lost steam

claude told me that both he & mourning sr were working with alonzo to get him to not float on the perimeter like a stretch 4 but to pound it inside

trey has excellent grades (interested in international biz) & it will be interesting to see if he truly has a passion for bb like his dad
R.Hobbs
UF's offense features a stretch four like Eric Murphy or Matt Bonner . They run a ball screen offense and like to pick and pop . My friends in Miami say Zo's kid the best outside shooter in South Florida . But they also say Duke is now involved as well . The kid has a pretty good group to choose from .
Shocky1
Shocky1;842216986 said:

gametime tonight, baby

this is cal basketball#
let's roll#

ambition#
I don't know......................start shockster?
Bobodeluxe
Intermezzo
Let's have a spelling contest

Shocky1
"yeah, he's a cal bears fan, why do i have to keep an eye on him?...more importantly, what time is our tee time at the o club this afternoon, are we gonna walk 36?"

Shocky1

2015's #1 ranked player ivan rabb scored 32 pts with 16 boards as the bishop odowd dragons dragons (24-4) hijacked the encinal jets 97-64 in the playoffs

ivan rabb=true student athlete

ivan the terrible scored 33 pts with 9 boards as the bishop odowd dragons (25-4) denounced the acalanes dons 68-36
Shocky1
sat tonite with jay john & 3 meb fund guys (they flew on the team's charter flight last nite, stayed at the downtown marriott with the team, attended the walk thru & meetings today, sat courtside & flew home tonight after the game) behind the cal bench

the bears shot an abysmal 4-16 3 pters with many of them quite off the mark, only jordan mathew's smooth stroke looked good

like the santa barbara game & other games when the bears are afflicted with chilly perimeter shooting, jeff powers was not given an opportunity to shoot the bears back into the hunt

powers is 16-29 on 3 pters this season, that's a remarkable shooting %...he's also a solid ball handler with only 3 turnovers in 125 minutes of action

having watched more live cal bb than any other bears fan this season, i can accurately say that this is the worst d team in taking charges during the montgomery era...the tape will show that several bears actually moved out of the way of attacking wildcats rather than trying to sacrifice their bodies & take charges...the most noteable charges this season by the bears have been taken by jeff powers, particularly the victory at oregon state

"we're really having a hard time scoring the ball"

-mike montgomery after the utah loss and 4-14 3 pt shooting from the bears 4 wings

imo it is not a coincidence that the bears most successful stretch of games this season happened when jeff powers was receiving meaningful playing time

*****powers is shooting more than 50% on a limited # of 3 pters
*****3 turnovers in 125 minutes
*****takes charges & dives for loose balls
*****passes quickly (delasalle trained skill) to facilitate offensive energy (vs the current stagnation with the wings)
*****his 3 pt threat creates spacing for cobbs to attack the paint & solo to attack the basket

right now mike & travis are playing tyrone wallace (no longer diving for loose balls and/or creating energy), ricky kreklow (not squared up on 3 pters) & jabari bird (at the pt in his development arguably the least effective defender in the pac 12) instead of powers

powers did not handle the cal media sr interviews very well (nobody is perfect except oski) but his frustration is understandable

i respect the fact that for every cal bb game i attend, the coaching staff has worked with our players for 100 hrs, they know what's going on...but the definition of insanity is to stubbornly keeping doing the same thing & expecting a different outcome

at the same time it is my hope that jeff powers will start or be the 1st sub off the bench vs colorado...and when jeff walks by travis & mike they will give him a pat on the azz & tell him "let it fly"

cal family#
let if fly#
socaltownie
Shocky1;842289890 said:

sat tonite with jay john & 3 meb fund guys (they flew on the team's charter flight last nite, stayed at the downtown marriott with the team, attended the walk thru & meetings today, sat courtside & flew home tonight after the game) behind the cal bench

the bears shot an abysmal 4-16 3 pters with many of them quite off the mark, only jordan mathew's smooth stroke looked good

like the santa barbara game & other games when the bears are afflicted with chilly perimeter shooting, jeff powers was not given an opportunity to shoot the bears back into the hunt

powers is 16-29 on 3 pters this season, that's a remarkable shooting %...he's also a solid ball handler with only 3 turnovers in 125 minutes of action

having watched more live cal bb than any other bears fan this season, i can accurately say that this is the worst d team in taking charges during the montgomery era...the tape will show that several bears actually moved out of the way of attacking wildcats rather than trying to sacrifice their bodies & take charges...the most noteable charges this season by the bears have been taken by jeff powers, particularly the victory at oregon state

-mike montgomery after the utah loss and 4-14 3 pt shooting from the bears 4 wings

imo it is not a coincidence that the bears most successful stretch of games this season happened when jeff powers was receiving meaningful playing time

*****passes quickly (delasalle trained skill) to facilitate offensive energy (vs the current stagnation with the wings)
*****his 3 pt threat creates spacing for cobbs to attack the paint & solo to attack the basket

right now mike & travis are playing tyrone wallace (no longer diving for loose balls and/or creating energy), ricky kreklow (not squared up on 3 pters) & jabari bird (at the pt in his development arguably the least effective defender in the pac 12) instead of powers

powers did not handle the cal media sr interviews very well (nobody is perfect except oski) but his frustration is understandable

i respect the fact that for every cal bb game i attend, the coaching staff has worked with our players for 100 hrs, they know what's going on...but the definition of insanity is to stubbornly keeping doing the same thing & expecting a different outcome

at the same time it is my hope that jeff powers will start or be the 1st sub off the bench vs colorado...and when jeff walks by travis & mike they will give him a pat on the azz & tell him "let it fly"

cal family#
let if fly#

Check me for a head wound but I agree with Shocky on this one. I understood (I think) why Jeff doesn't play against Zona and ASU. But I didn't think in the half court set Utah was scary fast at all. Conversely our three point shooting was god awful (I honestly can not remember the last time I saw that bad an airball and then another player simply lose the ball on the way up for no rhyme or reason). Jeff should have gotten minutes.
Shocky1
2017 pg damari milstead scored 20 pts with 4 larcenous steals & 2016 wing oscar frayer scored 15 pts with 13 boards & 4 thunderous blocks as the moreau catholic mariners (23-6) shipwrecked the fortuna huskies 71-57 in the ncs playoffs

damari milstead

oscar frayer

frank knight's mariners#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842283367 said:

"i like cal, i like cal a lot...that's really a home school for me because i'm from oakland, i'm from that area...that'a home away from home for me"

-cameron oliver

the 6'7" 205 lb oliver has offers from asu, oregon, oregon state, utep & gonzaga...cameron does not have an actionable offer from cal right now subject to improved grades & test scores

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)

cameron oliver scored 13 pts with 9 boards but fouled out with 3:54 left as the grant pacers (25-6) were bitten by the folsom bulldogs 63-62 in the cif sac-joaquin playoffs
Shocky1
Shocky1;842290030 said:

2017 pg damari milstead scored 20 pts with 4 larcenous steals & 2016 wing oscar frayer scored 15 pts with 13 boards & 4 thunderous blocks as the moreau catholic mariners (23-6) shipwrecked the fortuna huskies 71-57 in the ncs playoffs

damari milstead

oscar frayer

frank knight's mariners#

17 of moreau catholic's 18 players are freshmen or sophmores

mariners madness#
Shocky1
like virtually all organized athletic teams, there are chemistry & leadership challenges with this year's california golden bears

while our players, coaches & staff are all hard working high character individuals with a desire to excel, they are also very reserved (like moffitt library quiet) & stoic during games...other than matt "the human eraserboard" scherbenske who is the 1st guy to energize guys coming off the floor, our players, coaches & staff seem constipated, frustrated & not having much fun (sort of like a lot of the uptight fans on message boards)...the cal bench should not be as quiet as the cal chess club, it should be as ******* loud as a bunch of on the loose bank robbers driving in a stolen van to lake havasu city for a desperado spring break

smile a little bit, get a piece here & there...i have never met anyone who had lots of sex, an active yoga practice & a good short game that wasn't totally happy in life

the 2013/2014 california golden bears need to remember that bb is a game, a celebration played with friends, this ain't life & death...relax a little bit, channel your inner little kid, remember the good times & fun you had when you were a little kid playing basketball without a care in the world

maturity is overrated#
the world according to shocky#
Shocky1
like virtually all organized athletic teams, there are chemistry & leadership challenges with this year's california golden bears

while our players, coaches & staff are all hard working high character individuals with a desire to excel, they are also very reserved (like moffitt library quiet) & stoic during games...other than matt "the human eraserboard" scherbenske who is the 1st guy to energize guys coming off the floor, our players, coaches & staff seem constipated, frustrated & not having much fun (sort of like a lot of the uptight fans on message boards)...the cal bench should not be as quiet as the cal chess club, it should be as ******* loud as a bunch of on the loose bank robbers driving in a stolen van to lake havasu city for a desperado spring break

smile a little bit, get a piece here & there...i have never met anyone who had lots of sex, an active yoga practice & a good short game that wasn't totally happy in life

the 2013/2014 california golden bears need to remember that bb is a game, a celebration played with friends, this ain't life & death...relax a little bit, channel your inner little kid, remember the good times & fun you had when you were a little kid playing basketball without a care in the world

maturity is overrated#

if you told me that none (other than fiery matt scherbenske) of the bears players, coaches & staff have had sex, participated in a yoga class, made a putt over 25 feet or listened to loud music in the last year, i would believe you

real talk: unless you have minted $10+ mil (25+ mil if you are ugly or uptight), hot girlz aren't interested in quiet guys

wake the **** up#
Shockster, most of it is the guys you are giving the push to recruit..........the you know,......3.875 guys.

They don't come with the RAGE!

This is what you will always get................big guy.

Learn to love it..............You recruit it............you own it.

How long for D1 FB & BB..?..............honestly, I really wonder aloud......
socaltownie
1947;842290322 said:

Shockster, most of it is the guys you are giving the push to recruit..........the you know,......3.875 guys.

They don't come with the RAGE!

This is what you will always get................big guy.

Learn to love it..............You recruit it............you own it.

How long for D1 FB & BB..?..............honestly, I really wonder aloud......

Not sure that is fair (seriously, I must be drunk to side with shock two days Ina row). I just think hese kids are living with way too much self imposed pressure. Doing laser tag yesterday might be just what dr ordered. I also would say run some full court traps.....they will be happier running.
parentswerebears
socaltownie;842290352 said:

Not sure that is fair (seriously, I must be drunk to side with shock two days Ina row). I just think hese kids are living with way too much self imposed pressure. Doing laser tag yesterday might be just what dr ordered. I also would say run some full court traps.....they will be happier running.

What are you drinking? Where can I find it? Must be good.
Shocky1
the 2013/2014 california golden bears are no strangers to adversity & being hurt...consider:

***beloved parent dies from brain cancer
***major injuries to multiple players that require long & painful rehabs
***parents divorced
***academically suspended
***unfavorably compared by scouts to aaron gordon & his non stop motor
***characterized by critics as a "classic overachiever"
***snickered by cynics as too jewish to keep up with pac 12 pgs
***regarded by most d1 colleges as too inexperienced playing bb coming from cameroon
***told by wildcat coaches to be too fat to play as a freshman
***regarded as too skinny to be an effective 4 & rebounder in the pac 12
***passed over for pt by coaches at missouri & minnesota for other players
***wasted first 3 yrs of college stubbornly trying to be a stretch 4
***disrespected by other coaches by not guarding his outside shot
***overlooked by cal coaches despite proven ability to let it fly on 3 pters
***compared to cee lo green for failing to hustle back on d
***rejected by hometown ucla for other local guys
***spurned by johnny dawkins for the allen twins
***blasted by fans for sleepwalking in losing to usc
***ignored by beyonce, rihanna & shakira for sr prom dates

it's true you know, what doesn't kill you truly makes you stronger

so the question remains, will the bears take these life experiences & use them to strengthen themselves into a relentlessly energetic & unbreakable team with an undeniable mental resolve to come together regardless of the circumstances vs colorado?

will the bears "find a way?"

cal family#
season of discovery#
no regrets#
hurt#

when u r hurt, u must find a way
socaltownie
parentswerebears;842290357 said:

What are you drinking? Where can I find it? Must be good.

It is doing yoga and deciding that life is WAY too short for flame wars.
Shocky1
1. california institute of technology (cal tech)
2. university of oxford
3. harvard university
4. stanford university
5. massachusetts institute of technology (mit)
6. princeton university
7. university of cambridge
8. university of california, berkeley (cal)
9. university of chicago
10. imperial college london
11. yale university

per the 2013/2014 times higher education world university rankings
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/world-ranking/range/001-200

50 yr decision#

parentswerebears
socaltownie;842290395 said:

It is doing yoga and deciding that life is WAY too short for flame wars.

Personally, I think that the minor feuds on these boards make for great entertainment and sometimes even lead to really great conversations about the state of the program!
GB54
"Too Jewish to keep up with Pac12 PG's?"

Classic
socaltownie
parentswerebears;842290420 said:

Personally, I think that the minor feuds on these boards make for great entertainment and sometimes even lead to really great conversations about the state of the program!

It had reached levels that were unhealthy with me insulting Shocky's success and passion for golf and him stalking my every post and compiling posting history. It is time to end it.
Bobodeluxe
When it was pointed out very early in the season that few of the Bears ever looked like they were having fun, the poster were jumped on by most here. PAC 12 basketball is serious business, and the fun comes with wins.

Whatthefukever.

:rollinglaugh:
parentswerebears
socaltownie;842290426 said:

It had reached levels that were unhealthy with me insulting Shocky's success and passion for golf and him stalking my every post and compiling posting history. It is time to end it.

Totally did and I was kind of amazed by the results. More donor money flowing, etc. let's hope that 14 and 15 are truly monsterous!
Shocky1
ja, jakob poeltl (class of 2014) from austria will be officially visiting cal midweek for the stanford game

poeltl is 212 cms (7') & is 18 yrs old (11-15-95 dob in vienna) and plays for arkadia...this season in 15 games he is averaging 12.1 ppg with a high of 28 pts vs furstenfeld along with 7.5 rpg & 2.1 bpg

the true 5 is a highly efficient shooter with a soft touch & good shot selection as evidenced by his unreal 73.5% fgs...poeltl has made 2 of 4 3 pters & shoots a respectable 68.4% on fts

kudos to johnny montgomery for scouting poeltl who also has interest several schools nationally including pac 12 rivals arizona, utah & oregon...never underestimate the attraction of oregon's internationally well regarded truck stop mgmt program (and outplacement as a shift supervisor at the medford all nite truck stop)

jakob's development would be hastened by working with cal's s&c guru scott thom

the shockster is currently making inquiries with the austrian minister of education to ascertain jakob's gpa...stay tuned

bis bald jakob poeltl

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including austria)

walked 18 & did the hang at the rock

after golf a couple of nba executives told me their opinions of current pac 12 hcs

***great guys-mike, lorenzo, herbie, larry
***good guys-miller, boyle, robinson, bone, dawkins & endfield
***douche bags-dana altman & steve alford

one of the wildcat's largest benefactors (he's got miller & byrne on speed dial) told me that jakob poeltl's official visit to tuscon (the poeltl family went to last night's game vs oregon at mckale) went "good not great," that miller is recruiting 3 euro bigs, and that an arizona offer might be conditional on poeltl redshirting (shades of the kameron rooks recruitment)...the next poeltl's official visit is to utah this weekend

i did not pt out to my mildcat buddy that charming border towns like el paso, tuscon & nogales aren't for everyone

johnny montgomery is doing an excellent job with the 7' 225 lb poeltl's whirlwind recruitment...jm needs to send a thank you email to poeltl's family written in german (the most common language in austria) promising a world class education for their son

jm also needs to send jakob an email reminding him there are some california girlz that wanna meet him

after winning a couple of golf bets thx to a en fuego putter, i gave mr arizona the choice of either paying me immediately my winnings or my forgiving his debt to society & instead using his phone to call sean miller right then to allow me to chat or leave a lengthy message for sean...his response was "that's not gonna happen" & he slid my $245 usd over to me

so i walk to the range with my newfound mint & in the spirit of caddie brotherhood (i will always be a caddie) hand over the $245 to tommy, my sunburned caddie & tell him to go buy some sun screen

in a candy azz soft moment of unwisely seeking appreciation i ask tommy "am i the best ******* loop or what?"

tommy looks me in the eye and tells me "not even close, yoga boy"...apparently parsons (go daddy founder) pays each of his 3 caddies (one down the left side of the fairway, one down the right side of the fairway & one on the bag) $400 every time

so i start whining (i've got a little bit of solo in me) like a little girl & tell tommy "dude, that's not even fair, parsons is a billionaire, i'm a former caddie"

tommy just shakes his head & says "not my problem" while he pockets the $...conversation over, get lost yoga boy

gotta love tommy

arizona was disappointed that their #1 priority for a big jakob poeltl did not commit during his official visit

so the wildcats are moving forward with another european & their #2 priority dusan ristic, a serbian 6'11" 235 lbs 5...ristic has extremely long arms, is a good passer & can finish with both hands...on the downside, he is less athletic & not as skilled a shooter as poeltl

risitic, who apparently loved his official visit to tuscon last weekend & has not officially visited any other schools, will be announcing his collegiate decision on march 8th...unless sean miller & the wildcat staff can convince poeltl to become a wildcat by then, arizona will accept ristic's likely commitment

if this materializes on march 8th, jakob poeltl will then be a cal vs utah battle

sean miller blinked

dusan ristic has accepted an actionable offer from arizona & made a commitment to the wildcats & becomes their 5th commitment for 2014...pt in tuscon is gonna be brutal with sm's relentless stockpiling of talent as current c zach peters will be shown the door after the season

ristic, whose motor has been questioned, is a big time talent & will head to tuscon after finishing out the school yr in bel aire (kansas, not california) sunrise christian academy...ristic left serbia for kansas in mid jan

jakop poeltl is now a cal vs utah recruiting battle
Shocky1

maturity is overrated#

the door is closing on my flight back to the desert but all i saw this afternoon at haas was little kids having fun playing basketball with mad love for each other & without a care in the world

it must have been really foggy in the san francisco bay area because there wuz a lot of mist in my eyes as the bears srs were introduced one final time with their families

i truly love all of these ******* california golden bears

cal family#
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842289890 said:

cal family#
let if fly#

?
Shocky1
original monsters + monster class=cal family

where the monsters are#

l to r, carl "still got game" bird, jeff "let it fly" powers, justin "ice in his veins" cobbs , richard "the time is now" solomon & david "what not to wear" kravish

so carl bird's son is juked out of his shorts for the millionth time this season & gives up another easy 3 foot basket to the buffs...mike is stomping his feet like the lead guy in riverdance & slapping his hands as he calls time out to pull jb out of the game

and then it happened

jabari doesn't walk off the court like he's a zombie like he did vs utah, he doesn't bury his head beneath his knees like he did at santa barbara, he doesn't walk away from the coaches like he did at asu...he doesn't hold a pity party for his sorry broken down azz

jabari runs off the court, listens to mike while he reads him the ******* riot act, nods in understanding & then stands close to the huddle to hear the next play's strategy...bird is mentally engaged...sam is patting him on the head (sammy likes to do that a lot to his teammates, i wonder if he's gotta a dog or two back in miami), roger says something to him, jordan is touching his shoulder & kameron is smiling at him (as usual, i dunno, maybe k(rooks) is thinking about his favorite sponge bob square pants recent episode)...the montster class is tight

so mike shows confidence in jb & puts him back in crunch time substituting him with tyrone wallace on offensive & defensive possessions

jabari bird grew up tonite, he was coachable & a true teammate

jabari bird=son of carl bird

cal family#

even rhianna loves monsters
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rhianna+and+enimenem+monster+song&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=0D4FB569EF0D6849F9CD0D4FB569EF0D6849F9CD

this is cal basketball#

rhianna loves monsters

Shocky1
if you told me that none (other than fiery matt scherbenske) of the bears players, coaches & staff have had sex, participated in a yoga class, made a putt over 25 feet or listened to loud music in the last year, i would believe you

real talk: unless you have minted $10+ mil (25+ mil if you are ugly or uptight), hot girlz aren't interested in quiet guys

wake the **** up#

tmz is reporting that dhea sodano is gonna break up with lil wayne because he's not nearly as mentally & physically engaged as justin cobbs & richard solomon

adios lil wayne#

Shocky1

m83 celebrates why midnight city is bear territory (don't miss the crazy azz sax solo)

Shocky1

2015's #1 ranked player ivan rabb scored 29 pts with 13 boards as the bishop odowd dragons dragons (26-4) fireballed the el cerrito gauchos (28-4) in the playoffs

after a slow start at the academically challenging bod, rabb has raised his gpa to a solid 3.15 by attending tutoring sessions both before & after school...ivan is interested in becoming someday a successful entreprenurial bay area real estate developer & his little bro an architect working together

would be a tight rabb family if they attended cal summer school together working together towards their dreams...that would probably make mom tammi pretty proud at dinner at home every night

tammi would like ivan stay at least 2 yrs in college & make a commitment to her that a college degree will eventually be earned

ivan rabb=true student athlete
First Page Last Page
Page 69 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.