cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,270,535 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
89Bear;842299780 said:

When are the MEB fund people meeting with Sandy?

april 31st at the kingfish at 7:00 pm, you can be my guest
89Bear
Shocky1;842299790 said:

Nice!! I'm in. Order me a triple to start...
Shocky1
DrDanger;842299786 said:

I could envision that living in Utah isn't Special K's promised land....

i would rather live on the rock...

than salt lake ah-city
Shocky1
seattlebear02;842299510 said:

Shocky, just curious...who do you personally prefer, DeCuire or Krystowiak? (This is assuming, of course, that Larry K would be interested in leaving Utah for Cal.)

seattle (hi mr decuire), please read the 1st post on this thread from sept of 2012 with a hidden clue re: my preference for the university of california, berkeley's next men's basketball head coach
parentswerebears
Shocky1;842299869 said:

seattle (hi mr decuire), please read the 1st post on this thread from sept of 2012 with a hidden clue re: my preference for the university of california, berkeley's next men's basketball head coach

Such nuanced shades of meaning. Very unclear.
Shocky1
89Bear;842299780 said:

When are the MEB fund people meeting with Sandy?

looking forward to meeting you, 89b

with all the limo drivers, bodyguards & personal (wink, wink) assistants at the kingfish that nite, how we gonna recognize each other?

do u look like silvia hackl of austria?

if so maybe we could go for a drive afterwards or something

the bear would not quit, the bear would not die#
Bobodeluxe
Intermezzo;842299762 said:

Shocky, how do I make my old vinyl car top look like new?

There are any number of auto detailing shops near you. More than one probably employs a former D1 scholar athlete. Ask a pro!

:facepalm
Shocky1

"coaches, i'm going to outwork you today!!! #the season never ends"

-travis decuire

"players in our program trust travis and that's huge in today's business...they want to play for him and he's developed relationships with these kids...and he's developed relationships with the people that we need to recruit, that trust him...i think that, that alone, is huge with this group of young kids"

-mike montgomery

"he's energetic and young...he'll bring life to the program...if he is the new head coach, that would be great for the program"

-jabari bird

"i think travis is a great coach...he does a lot of work with us on the x's and o's...he builds relationships with his players and i think he's very energetic and fun...we really respect him and we trust him...i think if he was hired as the coach he would do a great job"

-tyrone wallace

"td ain't some candy azz soft stooopid broken down dumb azz"

-anonymous bears fan

cal family#
Shocky1
theo robertson is the greatest 3 pt shooter in cal history...robertson shot a cal best 44% during his career including an amazing 48.7% his jr yr...this past season robertson not worked as the director of bb operations but also served as the shooting guru particularly to jordan "man on fire" mathews

theo robertson was not only a lights out long range shooter for the bears but also a highly respected teammate who often unselfishly played out of position because of cal's lack of depth at the time...he also was a lock down defender with a steely demeanor & a tireless work ethic

monty made a tactically wise decision in hiring robertson as the director of basketball operations as theo was not paid in his prior role with the program...theo is hopefully being groomed to eventually be on the bench as an asst coach...robertson could be a an older brother figure to bears recruiting targets in relentlessly watching them play in 100+ hs/aau games all the while explaining to players & their families from 1st hand experience the keys to balancing big time basketball with world class educational opportunities

if cal intends to surpass arizona in bb recruiting, then the 1st action by the next men's bb hc at the university of california, berkeley should be to elevate theo robertson to an assistant bb coach...mitch elkins would then be promoted to director of bb operations

the bears bb program need an energized & tireless young guy who will relentlessly build strong relationships with aau & hs coaches while attending 100+ games a yr...why was td the only bears coach at the state championship games in sacramento this weekend?...that is embarazzing & unacceptable

perhaps the biggest issue (and it is often unsaid) for many elite recruits & their families is if they can academically compete in the classrooms of berkeley?...douche bags like dana altman have told them they are too stoopid to go to cal

robertson is qualified to address these academic issues with cal's targeted recruits & their families and candidly answer those questions re: cal's outstanding academic support program from a personal perspective story of achievement

it should take about 5 minutes for the next cal bb hc to elevate theo robertson to an assistant coach...maybe 8 minutes if they are a dumb azz

give theo the ball & watch what happens

UCBerkGrad
Shocky1;842299894 said:

-anonymous bears fan

I actually LOL'd to this. :rollinglaugh:

Based on these past two posts, do I take it you support TD as HC and Theo as AHC?

I like the combo from a recruiting perspective and I am confident that TD has learned enough X's and O's from one of the master college hoops coaches of all-time.

Not knowing what other coaches are in the mix, I would be happy if Travis was promoted.
Vandalus
UCBerkGrad;842299978 said:

Based on these past two posts, do I take it you support TD as HC and Theo as AHC?

I like the combo from a recruiting perspective and I am confident that TD has learned enough X's and O's from one of the master college hoops coaches of all-time.

Not knowing what other coaches are in the mix, I would be happy if Travis was promoted.

I don't think Theo is ready for assistant head coach. But he is a phenomenal young man. He's the kind of guy that you meet and you just know immediately that he has "it." Smart and engaging, but not being aloof. Commands respect yet approachable, and all the while, he doesn't have an ounce of used car salesmen in him. It's all genuine, and that comes through in spades I believe. If he was our lead recruiter/point person, I would be very, very happy.
NVGolfingBear
UCBerkGrad;842299978 said:

My interpretation of caddy1 is that he (and I) could see TD as Head Coach, Theo on the staff with a strong recruiting role and maybe some guy on the wrong side of 45 or 50 with lots of gray hair indicative of his experience that could offer some X's and O's perspective for TD.

Nothing can take the place of experience gained, but it can be transferred somewhat be having that experience on the bench and talking into the Head Coaches ear.
Shocky1
Vandalus;842299983 said:

I don't think Theo is ready for assistant head coach. But he is a phenomenal young man. He's the kind of guy that you meet and you just know immediately that he has "it." Smart and engaging, but not being aloof. Commands respect yet approachable, and all the while, he doesn't have an ounce of used car salesmen in him. It's all genuine, and that comes through in spades I believe. If he was our lead recruiter/point person, I would be very, very happy.

vandy, i'm advocating theo as an assistant coach in charge of 100,000+ hours of recruting, not as an associate head coach (which is td's current role)

robertson ain't experienced enough to be a associate head coach (yet)
bearchamp
Has Theo Robertson recruited anybody yet? How are writers here so sure he will be a good recruiter? Just because he played here, and is a nice guy doesn't automatically qualify him as an AAU recruiter. Frankly, a really nice guy will have trouble in the slime that is AAU basketball.
tsubamoto2001
bearchamp;842300009 said:

Has Theo Robertson recruited anybody yet? How are writers here so sure he will be a good recruiter? Just because he played here, and is a nice guy doesn't automatically qualify him as an AAU recruiter. Frankly, a really nice guy will have trouble in the slime that is AAU basketball.

He's a former Oakland Soldiers player. You'd have to think he still has connections to that program.
sluggo_Cal
Shocky1;842299924 said:

the bears bb program need an energized & tireless young guy who will relentlessly build strong relationships with aau & hs coaches while attending 100+ games a yr...why was td the only bears coach at the state championship games in sacramento this weekend?...that is embarazzing & unacceptable

I have read on this thread, perhaps fifty times, about "relentless recruiter" Gregg Gottlieb. Are you changing your tune? And if John Monty is not out recruiting, exactly what has been his role?

Sluggo
petalumabear
NVGolfingBear;842299992 said:

My interpretation of caddy1 is that he (and I) could see TD as Head Coach, Theo on the staff with a strong recruiting role and maybe some guy on the wrong side of 45 or 50 with lots of gray hair indicative of his experience that could offer some X's and O's perspective for TD.

Nothing can take the place of experience gained, but it can be transferred somewhat be having that experience on the bench and talking into the Head Coaches ear.

NV I could see that as well. I've talked with my friends and season ticket holders about that possibility. I honestly don't think we'll come up with someone who we'd pound the table in favor of and having Travis in that spot would create some continuity. Totally agree with getting Theo in the mix.
Shocky1
1. california institute of technology (cal tech)
2. university of oxford
3. harvard university
4. stanford university
5. massachusetts institute of technology (mit)
6. princeton university
7. university of cambridge
8. university of california, berkeley (cal)
9. university of chicago
10. imperial college london
11. yale university

per the 2013/2014 times higher education world university rankings
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/world-ranking/range/001-200

50 yr decision#

jakob is the guy in the upper far left that is sitting in the front row with the good looking montgomery women

jakob, ja, it is true, cal is the #1 ranked public university in the world

applications#
Shocky1

i know who are some of theo's connections at the hs & aau level & you don't
calumnus

I don't know how he will be as a recruiter, but I will say being a really nice guy works well with most human beings, even the "slime that is AAU basketball." Like most people, AAU coaches want to be catered to, feel important, get the best deal for their people, oh, and not be treated or thought of as "slime." The fact that Theo played AAU and is a nice guy would be positives.
Vandalus

I first met him when he was a student at DLS. While he was a student athlete at Cal I got a chance to see him up close, and I've had the opportunity to speak with him recently in his present position. It's my personal opinion that he would be a great recruiter because of his personality, intelligence, charisma and personal experiences. Because he is a nice guy I think he will do well. Parents like nice guys and kids will relate to him.

This of course is all my personal opinion, so you can take it for what it's worth (not much), but nevertheless, I stand by my assessment. There are certain people that just have a certain something special, and he's got "it" in spades.
UCBerkGrad
Which AAU teams did Theo play for? I believe he played for ASA (which plays in AAU tournaments) but doesn't fit the typical AAU program. Any others?
89Bear
I wonder if Larry K could be convinced to leave Utah and come, if he would also take a staff member like Theo? That would be nice!
tsubamoto2001
UCBerkGrad;842300197 said:

Which AAU teams did Theo play for? I believe he played for ASA (which plays in AAU tournaments) but doesn't fit the typical AAU program. Any others?

He's a Soldiers alum.
Shocky1

"coaches, i'm going to outwork you today!!! #the season never ends"

-travis decuire

"players in our program trust travis and that's huge in today's business...they want to play for him and he's developed relationships with these kids...and he's developed relationships with the people that we need to recruit, that trust him...i think that, that alone, is huge with this group of young kids"

-mike montgomery

"he's energetic and young...he'll bring life to the program...if he is the new head coach, that would be great for the program"

-jabari bird

"i think travis is a great coach...he does a lot of work with us on the x's and o's...he builds relationships with his players and i think he's very energetic and fun...we really respect him and we trust him...i think if he was hired as the coach he would do a great job"

-tyrone wallace

-anonymous bears fan

cal family#

it's been my experience that winners (like great golf courses, beautiful women & my rescue dogs/cats) come in different packages & personalities, there's no magical formula

my biggest concern about travis decuire being named the next bb hc at cal is whether he is too quiet or not

so i asked that question to the most qualified person on planet earth to provide an answer: td's dad

mr decuire, who is as loud & fiery as me, thoughtfully told me at the fun washington victory in seattle that he's talked to travis re: the importance of building a staff that complements his personality & doesn't just mirror himself (quiet burning intensity)

the successful example we discussed was stoic hard azz don james at washington who intimidated his players but wisely hired outgoing player's coach keith gilbertson as his oc...they balanced each other

td's dad told me he (along with others) has told travis it's ok to swear more, that the world isn't gonna end if he tells jabari bird to get his sorry ******* broken down azz back on d

mr decuire & i ended our conversation laughing that if necessary both he & i could sit on the end of the cal bench to fire up the troops (until someone punches us)

other than the players, staff & announcers, i saw more cal bb in person (usually within feet of the bench) than anybody else & as i've noted, this year's team was too quiet particularly during their late season meltdown...with mike & his riverdance stomping & yelling gone, cal bb needs a serious infusion of more energized vocal leadership from everybody

in speaking with ahmaad rorie & idrissa diallo, both of them are not big talkers

but i trust td to recognize these issues & find solutions...anybody who has ever sat within earshot of the loud cal wbb team knows that hc lindsey gottlieb would be a good person to get her thoughts on this topic

travis decuire is a man of high character & is the best qualified person to lead forward the cal bb program
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/decuire-still-biding-his-time-now-in-coaching-ranks/article_44ae5986-ae03-11de-bdb5-001cc4c002e0.html

in the spirit of the bay area's celebration of personal individuality, the road td has taken to cal is quite a bit different than most bb coaches

travis decuire=cal fit

cal family#
Shocky1
"i like cal, i like cal a lot...that's really a home school for me because i'm from oakland, i'm from that area...that'a home away from home for me"

-cameron oliver

the 6'7" 205 lb oliver has offers from asu, oregon, oregon state, utep & gonzaga...cameron does not have an actionable offer from cal right now subject to improved grades & test scores

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)

congrats to cameron on his commitment to the oregon state beavers
Shocky1
Big C_Cal;842150268 said:

Shocky, what do you know about that Mason Stuteville (sp?) guy that is being mentioned in another thread?

like the shockster, mason has got a wild imagination

let me break it down for you...

ivan rabb has an actionable offer for a scholly to the university of california, berkeley that may be accepted anytime during the next millennium

maston stuteville has an offer for 2 for 1 cds at rasuptin's records in berkeley that is valid thru next thursday

mason stuteville=sacramento state

congrats to mason stuteville (one of the best names in basketball), who last summer claimed an "offer" from cal on his commitment to sacramento state

Shocky1
Shocky1;842299503 said:

both are excellent coaches that value academics

tad boyle is over 50 yrs old, was born in pueblo (coiorado is his dream job)l, all of his starters are returning next season (although spencer dinwiddie has changed his course & may declare for the nba) and his current compensation package pays him $1,490,020 with a $500,000 buyout clause if he leaves before april 30, 2015

larry krystowiak is under 50 yrs old (barely, he's 49), is not mormon, played & was a hc in the nba, played for mike montgomery, has turned around the utah program including 5 guys on this yr's pac 12 all academic team and his current contract pays him $950,000

utah ad chris hill has offered kyrstowiak a signficantly more attractive financial package that is on the table but that has not been accepted with a signed contract
socaliganbear
Shocky1;842300479 said:

utah ad chris hill has offered kyrstowiak a signficantly more attractive financial package that is on the table but that has not been accepted with a signed contract

Has he been offered by Cal?
"cameron oliver - Yesterday, 10:34 PM"

OK,...................he gone.

.........................Next..............?
socaltownie
Shocky1;842300479 said:

Local Salt Lake TV reporting as if a done deal....and Larry K issued an affirming statement. Guess we are moving on from SLC
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29327320&nid=635&title=larry-krystkowiak-to-get-new-5-year-deal

Now the VERY interesting rumor is that the search firm (or committee?) flew to Spokane. Assuming this isn't akin to Sandy camping out at Chris Peterson's favorite Boston Market that would be...well....REALLY REALLY POSITIVE.
socaliganbear
I expect us to hire TD and get flack from the media (local) for spending money on a search firm to then hire the most obvious (in-house) choice.
parentswerebears
socaliganbear;842300539 said:

I expect us to hire TD and get flack from the media (local) for spending money on a search firm to then hire the most obvious (in-house) choice.

You mean you didn't do that with your prom date in high school? Shop around to see if there was someone better, then end up going with your sister's best friend?
socaliganbear
parentswerebears;842300553 said:

You mean you didn't do that with your prom date in high school? Shop around to see if there was someone better, then end up going with your sister's best friend?

That was usually free.
calumnus
socaliganbear;842300565 said:

That was usually free.

In principle the search firm is the one that goes out and tests the waters with all the "pretty girls," sparing you the pain of rejection (or getting them in trouble with their boyfriends).

However, I think that only makes sense if we are really SEARCHING for candidates, including assistants elsewhere.

The key is that Sandy knows Travis DeCuire. We have an "up and coming" assistant. Other (good) Cal coaches know Travis DeCuire and can give their opinion. As someone said, the Mathews' and Bird's fathers know Travis DeCuire and can opine. The players can give their opinion. She must have some idea of whether she would be happy with DeCuire. The only reason to hire a search firm, IMO, is if she wouldn't be happy with DeCuire (also interview Gates, Shareef and other coaches that express interest).

Because if she would be happy with DeCuire as a fallback, the only due diligence needed is to make sure there isn't a big name at a mid-major who wants to come to Berkeley, and everyone knows who those people are and we can do that work in house. Jack Clark recently spent time with the Smarts, he may have been doing some advance scouting. Reportedly Sandy is going up to Spokane to talk with Few. Let Sandy earn her pay, save the $250,000 or so and let the students in for free.
First Page Last Page
Page 75 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.