cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,284,251 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C_Cal;842301820 said:

Shocky, got any thoughts/opinions on Joe Pasternack that you'd care to share? We promise to keep everything "entre nous", so don't be afraid to be startlingly candid.

4thGenCal;842301821 said:

Its right now down to Travis and Joe…..none of the pursued established head coaches bit, in fact one coach used the interest Cal generated, as an inducement to get a raise.
Joe would bring a greatly increased recruiting prowess and we would sign the better local players immediately. Additionally it is very clear that the top donors would step up and support the basketball program is a much larger way than going forward with the current staff essentially in place.
This is not "heresay", these comments are based on discussions with the key donors and also being current with a few of the top local programs.
Not fully appreciated by this board is Pasternack's Head Coach experience and loyalty to New Orleans job he held. Joe took the job as a D1 program - lead it to the most wins achieved in over a decade and unfortunately due to Katrina, hit financial hardship and funds were reduced which had been supporting the program. The program was declassified to a D3 level, yet Pasternack honored his contract and completed his four years of leadership.
Its probably 60/40 TD amongst the Wilton/Sandy/Dirks committee, due to a perceived continuity advantage and backing of Montgomery - however please understand, Pasternack has the experience, recruiting connections and donor support to lift the Cal program to levels not seen in the past decade.

as one of the meb fund donors who is touching base with other boosters, you are 100% incorrect that pasternack has the support of cal's donors...pasternack has the support of one major donor, that's it

pasternack is part of the illegal payment scheme of arizona players, people who are in the nba, college & hs level will confirm this fact...if you need names of my sources, send me a private message & let's meet for lunch (i'm playing sf golf club later this week)

joe was arrogant & alienated both cal employees & cal fans during his time as an assistant coach in berkeley...his role in the ben braun academic cesspool that mike & staff lifted us out of is not forgotten by those that care about cal's reputation as the #1 ranked public university in the world

his kick of jorge was one thing but his insincere sorry azz apology later under duress from the then arizona ad says volumes about his character

at new oreleans, a school with virtually no academic standards for student athletes, he was mediocre (54-60)

at arizona he facilitates the luring of players to tuscon & then pumps up their nba riches dreams...the vast majority of the wildcat players will never earn enough $ playing basketball professionally to fulfill their dreams in life

sorry, one major donor can't pick a future ncaa blacklisted coach to be the next cal hc

your suggestion is about as stooopid as recommending tosh lupaid as cal's next fb coach

socaliganbear
Shocky1;842301841 said:

as one of the meb fund donors who is touching base with other boosters, you are 100% incorrect that pasternack has the support of cal's donors...pasternack has the support of one major donor, that's it

pasternack is part of the illegal payment scheme of arizona players, people who are in the nba, college & hs level will confirm this fact...if you need names of my sources, sent me a private message & let's meet for lunch (i'm playing sf golf club later this week)

joe was arrogant & alienated both cal employees & cal fans during his time as an assistant coach in berkeley...his role in the ben braun academic cesspool that mike & staff lifted us out of is not forgotten by those that care about cal's reputation as the #1 ranked public university in the world

his kick of jorge was one thing but his insincere sorry azz apology later under duress from the then arizona ad says volumes about his character

at new oreleans, a school with virtually no academic standards for student atheltes, he was mediocre

at arizona he facilitates the luring of players to tuscon & then pumps up their nba riches dreams...the vast majority of the wildcat players will never earn enough $ playing basketball professionally to fulfill their dreams in life

sorry, one major donor can't pick a future ncaa blacklisted coach to be the next cal hc

your suggestion is about as stooopid as recommending tosh lupaid as cal's next fb coach

Well, given 4th Gen's incredibly bad rep with predicting coaching situations, all you have to do is look back last year, I'll go with Shocky on this one.

#TeamTD

Shockster, as a future meb dude, I absolutely will support mbb, hit me up with guidance. Cal Dev is slow going.....
Shocky1
Shocky1;842301813 said:

congratulations to the uconn huskies the for winning a national championship with true student athletes

this national championship is due to the foresight of then new athletic director warde manuel recognizing (without an expensive national search) after hall of fame coach jim calhoun's retirement that assistant coach kevin ollie was the right person to lead the connecticut bb program forward into the future

kevin ollie, an assistant coach with no hc experience, a dude cut 9 times in the nba, an academic mentor to a team with failing students & suspensions at the time

yeah, uconn should've hired a ******* retread instead of him
tsubamoto2001
Shocky1;842301930 said:

kevin ollie, an assistant coach with no hc experience, a dude cut 9 times in the nba, an academic mentor to a team with failing students & suspensions at the time

yeah, uconn should've hired a ******* retread instead of him

You're comparing apples and oranges. Ollie was an assistant for a team that won a national title and had the backing of a coach that built that program from the ground up and won 3 titles. UConn basketball doesn't exist without Jim Calhoun. He was going to be able to choose his successor.

I'm not saying Travis shouldn't be the guy, but this is a far tougher decision than what UConn was faced with .
Shocky1
tsubamoto2001;842301938 said:

You're comparing apples and oranges. Ollie was an assistant for a team that won a national title and had the backing of a coach that built that program from the ground up and won 3 titles. UConn basketball doesn't exist without Jim Calhoun. He was going to be able to choose his successor.

I'm not saying Travis shouldn't be the guy, but this is a far tougher decision than what UConn was faced with .

tsub, quit living with a paralyzing fear of the unknown & that cal might make the wrong choice...that's a terrible way to celebrate life

grant marek ran an insightful interview yesterday with phil mathews (jordan's dad & longtime respected bb coach at usf & ucla) who told grant that he's told sandy barbour that "travis decuire is the next shaka smart"

the bears don't need to dream about shaka smart coming to cal, the next shaka smart is already on the staff

just say no to retreads, anybody over 50 & dumb azz coaches that don't care about academics#

the university of californai, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
HoopDreams
socaliganbear
Thanks very much. Very cool

socaliganbear;842301844 said:

Well, given 4th Gen's incredibly bad rep with predicting coaching situations, all you have to do is look back last year, I'll go with Shocky on this one.

#TeamTD

Shockster, as a future meb dude, I absolutely will support mbb, hit me up with guidance. Cal Dev is slow going.....
calumnus
tsubamoto2001;842301938 said:

I think it is the opposite: UConn had more to lose and thus had much MORE pressure to hire an experienced, established coach. That is what the big name programs do--they throw a lot of money at big name coaches. Hiring a guy like Ollie (with less coaching experience than DeCuire) was a very gutsy move.

Our decision is DeCuire or the coach at UCI? That is an EASY choice by comparison. There is little risk in hiring DeCuire but tremendous upside. No brainer.
tsubamoto2001
calumnus;842301946 said:

I think it is the opposite: UConn had more to lose and thus had much MORE pressure to hire an experienced, established coach. That is what the big name programs do--they throw a lot of money at big name coaches. Hiring a guy like Ollie (with less coaching experience than DeCuire) was a very gutsy move.

Our decision is DeCuire or the coach at UCI? That is an EASY choice by comparison. There is little risk in hiring DeCuire but tremendous upside. No brainer.

Calumnus, out of all the names involved, I favor TD, but that doesn't mean this is a no-brainer. With the UConn situation, Calhoun practically demanded that Ollie be given the gig. You're not going to not listen to the guy who brought every ounce of your success in that sport. Monty was good here at Cal, but he wasn't exactly Calhoun here. His recommendation obviously has value, but not to the point here it weighs so heavily. If TD is the best fit, then he should be the guy, but it's far from a no brainer.
Shocky1
td & russ turner
socaltownie
Shocky1;842302121 said:

td & russ turner

No brainer if true. #teamtravis
seattlebear02
Shocky1;842302121 said:

td & russ turner

#TeamTravis
Shocky1

travis decuire formally offered oscar frayer after today's mc state championship game at sleep train arena in sacramento

cal family#
bay area's finest#
50 yr decision#

oscar frayer has been named ncs soph of the yr by prep2prep

frank knight's mariners#
Shocky1

pasternack is part of the illegal payment scheme of arizona players, people who are in the nba, college & hs level will confirm this fact...if you need names of my sources, send me a private message & let's meet for lunch (i'm playing sf golf club later this week)

at new oreleans, a school with virtually no academic standards for student athletes, he was mediocre (54-60)

sandy, nicky d & john wilton, what's the plan, we gonna use some big donor $ & go buy some oakland soliders?

is cal for sale?
Shocky1
if a known weasel like joe pasternack is hired as cal's next bb coach, there's will be player transfers, recruit decommits & signficant cal fan base loss

like many other meb fund members, i will be done with cal bb...although i prepaid for the esp fb seating, i will also be seeking an immediate refund

i'm still optimistic that nicky d & his crew (john wilton & sandy barbour) will do the right thing

cal's integrity is not for sale#
socaltownie
Shocky1;842302518 said:

if a known weasel like joe pasternack is hired as cal's next bb coach, there's will be player transfers, recruit decommits & signficant cal fan base loss

like many other meb fund members, i will be done with cal bb...although i prepaid for the esp fb seating, i will also be seeking an immediate refund

i'm still optimistic that nicky d & his crew (john wilton & sandy barbour) will do the right thing

I hope you are right. We have disagreed in the past (a lot) but you are right on this one. Joe "Pele" Pasternack is NOT a homerun.
calumnus
Shocky1;842302518 said:

Shocky1, surely you can get word to the powers that be about how negatively Pasternack's hiring would be received by a large portion of Cal fans?

What is Sandy's email?
Shocky1
calumnus;842302523 said:

Shocky1, surely you can get word to the powers that be about how negatively Pasternack's hiring would be received by a large portion of Cal fans?

What is Sandy's email?

sb reads (monitors) these boards
socaliganbear
Shocky1;842302583 said:

sb reads (monitors) these boards

Funny story, last time I was walking around Haas with a Director, several screens were on BI. Both in the dev office and the sales office command center.

Hi Guys!
OldBlue1999
socaliganbear;842302588 said:

Funny story, last time I was walking around Haas with a Director, several screens were on BI. Both in the dev office and the sales office command center.

Hi Guys!

There was a game this season where they forgot to turn on the player stats on the scoreboard. I started a thread here from my phone asking if anyone knew why and they turned them on in under 5 minutes.
ColoradoBear
Shocky1;842302307 said:

is cal for sale?

Given the amount of money this donor has given in the past and can give in the future, do we expect any financial fallout in future donations when the Pasternack doesn't get the job?

Was this the same donor who was still lobbying for Tedford to stay despite the looming academic APR disaster and of course horrific on field performances?
DrDanger
ColoradoBear1;842302673 said:

Given the amount of money this donor has given in the past and can give in the future, do we expect any financial fallout in future donations when the Pasternack doesn't get the job?

Was this the same donor who was still lobbying for Tedford to stay despite the looming academic APR disaster and of course horrific on field performances?

No.
And No.
Shocky1
nurse wicked says k(rooks) suffered a microfracture in his foot during the arizona game while banging inside against zeus yet played thru the pain & is done for this season

cal medical staff is great (this is not a picture of barry parsons)#

unbreakable#

nurse wicked says that k(rooks) & spongebob squarepants will be ready for action by mid april (cast off april 14th) as long as they avoid the krusty krab & their krabby patty burgers

marine biology#

kameron rooks had his cast removed today (he's a quick healer)

k(rooks) is gonna wish his sorry broken down azz was still in a boot when he starts scott thom's energized post season s&c program to get kr's vertical jump greater than the escondido phonebook

it doesn't help matters when jordan "chunk" mathews is talking about fine dining at roscoes every 5 minutes

gary, sandy, patrick, mr krabs, plankton & squidward could not be reached for comment
89Bear
Shock, who is putting the green jacket on Sunday????
And will TD be our head coach by that time?
Shocky1
loud & feisty bears should out for cal's greatest benefactors, lisa & doug goldman

without them & their amazing family, there's no haas arena, no cutting edge high performance center, no new sparkling memorial stadium or haas b-school (instead i would've graduated with a near worthless degree from the people's park school of unprofitable business practices with an emphasis upon looting & alien communications)

people with hundred of millions of dollars don't need to donate generously to cal or to tirelessly work to improve the lives of others...but lisa & doug love cal and in these financially dangerous times for the #1 ranked public university in the world, they are the foundations of cal's ability to deliver upon her promises

if the shockster ever mints several hundred million dollars, i'm gonna be buying islands & **** like that for sure...i dunno, maybe i'd try breeding talking dinosaurs or something on my islands...would co design a links course with my idols bill coore & tom doak...definitely would also buy david 'what not to wear" kravish some new clothes too if i had any $ leftover

thank you lisa & doug...you definitely ain't stoopid dumb azzs

cal family#
89Bear
Shocky1;842302686 said:

loud & feisty bears should out for cal's greatest benefactors, lisa & doug goldman

without them & their amazing family, there's no haas arena, no cutting edge high performance center, no new sparkling memorial stadium or haas b-school (instead i would've graduated with a near worthless degree from the people's park school of unprofitable business practices with an emphasis upon looting & alien communications)

people with hundred of millions of dollars don't need to donate generously to cal or to tirelessly work to improve the lives of others...but lisa & doug love cal and in these financially dangerous times for the #1 ranked public university in the world, they are the foundations of cal's ability to deliver upon her promises

if the shockster ever mints several hundred million dollars, i'm gonna be buying islands & **** like that for sure...i dunno, maybe i'd try breeding talking dinosaurs or something on my islands...would co design a links course with my idols bill coore & tom doak...definitely would also buy david 'what not to wear" kravish some new clothes too if i had any $ leftover

thank you lisa & doug...you definitely ain't stoopid dumb azzs

cal family#

So they have come around on TD?????
Shocky1
89Bear;842302685 said:

Shock, who is putting the green jacket on Sunday????
And will TD be our head coach by that time?

but your gf likes to wear matching green underwear & high heels when she picks me up (again) & drives me to yoga & the golf course while you're at work
89Bear
Shocky1;842302691 said:

but your gf likes to wear matching green underwear & high heels when she picks me up (again) & drives me to yoga & the golf course while you're at work

Someone needs to keep her busy when I'm out with the Mrs.
Thanks..
I told her those were duck colors and not to wear them around me...
socaliganbear
When I grow up, I want to be Doug Goldman. Or an astronaut.
HoopDreams
there is a reason that California is one of the most popular states...one of the most naturally beautiful places on earth, with the pacific ocean along it's coast....

parentswerebears
HoopDreams;842302736 said:

there is a reason that California is one of the most popular states...one of the most naturally beautiful places on earth, with the pacific ocean along it's coast....

Wow. Nice pic. Did you take it? If so, I bow to your superior photography skills.
Shocky1

i dunno, tuscon is pretty special too

joe p is gonna be staying in the old pueblo a little big longer, his california passport was denied

adios kickin' joe pasternack#

ColoradoBear
Shocky1;842302742 said:

i dunno, tuscon is pretty special too

joe p is gonna be staying in the old pueblo a little big longer, his california passport was denied

adios kickin' joe pasternack#

I think you are being a little harsh on UofA and their academics. The Arizona Taco Bell School of Business Administration is a great fall back option for those who want a career to rise above and beyond. #freebreakfast

HoopDreams
another reason to love California...

and in C

Shocky1

jakob, the last young guy from austria who journeyed to california did all right

the governator#

jakob, there are some girlz that wanna meet you
Shocky1
xavier's chris mack does not have any west coast recruiting connections and/or ties to any of the current bears & does not have an offer from cal

ditto for phil jackson too

drama queens#
First Page Last Page
Page 77 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.