The Official BearInsider Fardaws Aimaq Fan Club

11,023 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by BearSD
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
41 points and 25 boards in the SoCal Challenge (4th double double). Well done, Daws!

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
75bear
I'd like to become a member, where do I join?
calumnus
75bear said:

You just did
southseasbear
calumnus said:

75bear said:

You just did
Count me in too!
drizzlybear
We got your back, Fardaws!!
bearister
…and if we had been there we would have jumped the f@uck. Pensioners can get away with that because young guys are too embarrassed to press charges.
Big C

Fardaws, you are our guy! So glad you're at Cal this season! Go Bears!!!
calbear80
bearister said:

41 points and 25 boards in the SoCal Challenge (4th double double). Well done, Daws!

I am in!

Go Bears!
sonofabear51
I'll second that.

GO BEARS!!
bearister
Great Game, Daws!
ryananderson_22
7/25?
barsad
0-2 on 3s? 34% for the season?
Can Madsen put a red light on that please? We have enough 3 point shooters, the big man needs to work on not getting the ball stripped what seems like EVERY time he's under the basket.
barsad
What gets me about Daws is I'll be roaring in delight and groaning in despair within the same 10 seconds. Case in point. He had a game saving block with 27 secs left to give Jaylon a chance at a buzzer beater in regulation. Great defensive play. Then in OT at 3:44 he misses the last 2 of his 25 attempts, a short jumper and an open layup… we pretended we didn't see it because right after that Jaylon put down a thunderous dunk that made everything seem right. Roar, then groan.
Big C
barsad said:

What gets me about Daws is I'll be roaring in delight and groaning in despair within the same 10 seconds. Case in point. He had a game saving block with 27 secs left to give Jaylon a chance at a buzzer beater in regulation. Great defensive play. Then in OT at 3:44 he misses the last 2 of his 25 attempts, a short jumper and an open layup… we pretended we didn't see it because right after that Jaylon put down a thunderous dunk that made everything seem right. Roar, then groan.

We should perhaps stay focused on the fact that Aimaq just had 15 points, 20 rebounds and five assists in a big Cal win, no?
01Bear
barsad said:

Daws doesn't go strong to the rim. He's too tentative. He needs to study film of guys like Shaq, Ewing, and Moses Malone. Those guys went hard to the hole. Daws needs to learn to anticipate contact and to play through it instead of trying to avoid it.
HoopDreams
[ol]
Top Ten rebounders in Cal historynly 3 players, including Fawdaws tonigh have grabbed 20+ rebounds in a single game in last 40 years
  • Mark McNamara - 27 rebounds on February 10, 1982, against the University of Washington.
  • Darrall Imhoff - 26 rebounds on February 25, 1960, against the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
  • Mark McNamara - 25 rebounds on February 26, 1983, against Oregon State University.
  • Darrall Imhoff - 24 rebounds on January 16, 1960, against Stanford University.
  • Darrall Imhoff - 23 rebounds on January 15, 1960, against Stanford University.
  • Ryan Anderson - 22 rebounds on December 29, 2007, against DePaul University.
  • Bob McKeen - 21 rebounds on January 15, 1957, against the University of Oregon.
  • Leon Powe - 21 rebounds on January 15, 2005, against the University of Washington.
  • Larry Friend - 20 rebounds on December 19, 1956, against the University of Pacific.
  • Bob Presley - 20 rebounds on January 16, 1965, against Oregon State University.
  • [/ol]
    Big C
    01Bear said:

barsad said:

Daws doesn't go strong to the rim. He's too tentative. He needs to study film of guys like Shaq, Ewing, and Moses Malone. Those guys went hard to the hole. Daws needs to learn to anticipate contact and to play through it instead of trying to avoid it.

It seemed like there were two different Low Post Daws this evening: the First Half Daws, where he did all the things you recommend, then the Second Half Daws, where he would go straight up -- and weakly at that -- and get his shot stuffed or just miss it. Am I right that 14 of his 15 came in the first half? Something like that...
    01Bear
    Big C said:

01Bear said:

barsad said:

It seemed like there were two different Low Post Daws this evening: the First Half Daws, where he did all the things you recommend, then the Second Half Daws, where he would go straight up -- and weakly at that -- and get his shot stuffed or just miss it. Am I right that 14 of his 15 came in the first half? Something like that...

Yup! Someone mentioned that Daws may have gotten gassed in the second half. That's very possible.
    6956bear
    Big C said:

01Bear said:

barsad said:

He missed a bunch of close shots. He is not a great finisher for sure. But he also had 20 rebounds and 5 assists. USC is tall and athletic inside and it clearly impacted him when he got the ball around the basket. But 20 boards is big and 5 assists is very good as well.
    OdontoBear66
    Big C said:

01Bear said:

barsad said:

As much as I love MM this is a lot on him. I'm sure he had match up reasons why he thought he couldn't give him more rest but it was sure apparent at the end.
    bearister
    Daws is now # 4 in NCAA Double Double Standings. When viewed in the history of Cal centers, he is one of our very good ones.

It was only discussed by a few in this thread, but his offensive efficiency crashes after too many playing minutes. I suppose that when he knows he is gassed, he should pass more and just focus on boards and D.

The criticism here makes me wonder how many Cal games the critics have logged.

I also think there is a bit of the Cris Collinsworth/Greg Papa Jared Goff Syndrome going on here. Like they did with Goff, you are doing with Daws. They bashed him early in his career and from then on, to shore up their initial analysis, they had to keep focusing on the negative and minimize the positive.
    bearsandgiants
    01Bear said:

Big C said:

01Bear said:

barsad said:

Yup! Someone mentioned that Daws may have gotten gassed in the second half. That's very possible.
    This is definitely what happened, but he appeared gassed for the ENTIRE second half. I mean, he went all out in the first half, but that's some serious conditioning issue if he can barely function after playing 20 minutes. Would have loved to see at least SOMEBODY give him a blow.
    RedlessWardrobe
    barsad said:

0-2 on 3s? 34% for the season?
    Can Madsen put a red light on that please? We have enough 3 point shooters, the big man needs to work on not getting the ball stripped what seems like EVERY time he's under the basket.
    Can we put a red light on all of this negativity toward Aimaq please?

We have now watched 23 games this season. To borrow a philosophy from the late Dennis Green, regarding Fardaws Aimaq the fact is, HE IS WHO HE IS. The team we have is the team we have. Where's all the b*tching about Jalen Cone today? Nowhere to be found.

When I read these posts, it becomes very obvious to me what posters have actually played organized basketball and which one's haven't.

One more thing. 34% from 3 point distance is the equivalent of 50% from the field. It's not all that bad. Enough already.

01Bear
    bearister said:

Daws is now # 4 in NCAA Double Double Standings. When viewed in the history of Cal centers, he is one of our very good ones.

It was only discussed by a few in this thread, but his offensive efficiency crashes after too many playing minutes. I suppose that when he knows he is gassed, he should pass more and just focus on boards and D.

I also think there is a bit of the Cris Collinsworth/Greg Papa Jared Goff Syndrome going on here. Like they did with Goff, you are doing with Daws. They bashed him early in his career and from then on, to shore up their initial analysis, they had to keep focusing on the negative and minimize the positive.

I like Daws; I want him to do well.

But I also grew up in the golden age of big men. I got to watch Kareem play against Ewing, Hakeem, the Admiral, and Parish. I watched Shaq dominate Dikembe, Yao, and Zo. I expect bigs to play tough and physical basketball in the paint.

Daws does that when he crashes the boards. But he does not always play that way when he has the ball. It could be a mental thing, a physical thing, or even a conditioning thing. Either way, Daws hasn't quite put it all together, yet. I'm hoping he does (especially while in a Cal uniform). But for now, he's playing too hesitantly to impose his will as a big in the post, when it matters.
    concernedparent
    01Bear said:

bearister said:

But I also grew up in the golden age of big men. I got to watch Kareem play against Ewing, Hakeem, the Admiral, and Parish. I watched Shaq dominate Dikembe, Yao, and Zo. I expect bigs to play tough and physical basketball in the paint.

Daws does that when he crashes the boards. But he does not always play that way when he has the ball. It could be a mental thing, a physical thing, or even a conditioning thing. Either way, Daws hasn't quite put it all together, yet. I'm hoping he does (especially while in a Cal uniform). But for now, he's playing too hesitantly to impose his will as a big in the post, when it matters.
    I think he does play tough and physical. He loves moving people on the block. He's just not a good enough athlete to get it done against fronts like USC's. My big gripe are his turnovers.
    01Bear
    concernedparent said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

I think he does play tough and physical. He loves moving people on the block. He's just not a good enough athlete to get it done against fronts like USC's. My big gripe are his turnovers.

Agreed.

His low post footwork needs work. Once he improves that, it'll be easier to move other bigs. He doesn't have Shaq's size, so he can't steamroll other bigs, but if he improved his footwork, he could keep bigs guessing and get easy buckets (a la Hakeem).

One thing I absolutely hate seeing is a big dribbling, especially in the paint. There's really no need to dribble. Dribbling allows quicker smaller help defenders to steal the ball. Bigs should establish position then demand the ball. If they can't get the ball in a preferred spot, pass the ball back out, establish position, then demand the ball.

Then again, maybe my mind is just stuck in classic big man basketball.
    oskidunker
    We need okafor
    Go Bears!
    bearister
    "…. the late Dennis Gates.."

You scared the f@uck out of me with that error.
    RedlessWardrobe
    bearister said:

"…. the late Dennis Gates.."

You scared the f@uck out of me with that error.
    Oh sh*t, I need to be more careful. Thanks bearister. I've gone back in and corrected it. My apologies.
    RedlessWardrobe
    01Bear said:

bearister said:

Well, here we are talking about Daws and using guys like Kareem, Ewing, and Hakeem as a measuring stick. Again, isn't it time to cut the guy some slack?
    01Bear
    RedlessWardrobe said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

Well, here we are talking about Daws and using guys like Kareem, Ewing, and Hakeem as a measuring stick. Again, isn't it time to cut the guy some slack?

Fair point. Those guys were legends of the game. How about if Daws at least played a bit more like Charles Oakley and Bill Laimbeer? I just want to see some swagger and physical dominance. Doesn't have to be a scorer, necessarily, but have to be a physical presence in the post.
    ncbears
    01Bear said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

Fair point. Those guys were legends of the game. How about if Daws at least played a bit more like Charles Oakley and Bill Laimbeer? I just want to see some swagger and physical dominance. Doesn't have to be a scorer, necessarily, but have to be a physical presence in the post.
    Reading Rod Benson's book, he has much praise for the Newell Big Man Camp and how much that improved his game - and got him on the path to being able to play professional basketball. He also writes about visiting Newell and listening to Newell for hours.
    HoopDreams
    The fact that we are complaining about Fardaws after 20 rebounds, 14 points, 5 assists and a block to preserve the win is crazy to me

Oh, and regarding those missed second half shot, anyone attending the game could see he was fouled on some of his shots

RedlessWardrobe
    Amen.
    bearister
    01Bear said:

How about if Daws at least played a bit more like Charles Oakley and Bill Laimbeer? I just want to see some swagger and physical dominance. Doesn't have to be a scorer, necessarily, but have to be a physical presence in the post.

Daws was heavy into MMA for 8 years (studied martial arts for total of 11 years and holds a black belt), If any of those p@ussies cheap shoted him, he would have them tapping out within 30 seconds, unless they preferred a broken bone or unconsciousness.
    Last Page
    Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.